Football

Help Support Steer Planet:

husker1

Doc Tom never seemed to be a fan of the Big 12 brass.  As a fan-base, we were ready for the change.  I would've been fine taking some of our geographic neighbors with us, but it didn't work out that way...Some will argue that Nebraska was bitter as we didn't fare as well in football in the Big 12, but the fact was there were many underlying issues.  A.J., believe it or not, I actually find myself cheering for KSU now!  I'm kind of a closet KSU, ISU, OSU, and Baylor fan, when they are on TV.

aj

Color me a little skepical on your stereotyping. There is going to be shananigans all over the place with 20 year old kids. K-States qb is a bible beater. If you got a kid who gets up and runs and lifts weights at 5 thirty in the morning he's less likely to get into trouble than a frat boy music major. Of course there are exceptions. But you gotta be fairly disciplined to to sports and attened class at the same time. Course Snyder always seems to get the no-name kids that play over their head. I don't run with the choir boys and I could break your back on my worst day.

RyanChandler

aj said:
Color me a little skeptical on your stereotyping. There is going to be shananigans all over the place with 20 year old kids. K-States qb is a bible beater. If you got a kid who gets up and runs and lifts weights at 5 thirty in the morning he's less likely to get into trouble than a frat boy music major. Of course there are exceptions. But you gotta be fairly disciplined to to sports and attend class at the same time. Course Snyder always seems to get the no-name kids that play over their head. I don't run with the choir boys and I could break your back on my worst day.
I like your style AJ, your grasp of what it takes to be a college athlete is astute and correct. Of course there are some with flat out god given talent that just show up and shine but I can tell you first hand the overwhelming majority of college athletes are in the position they re in because of working their ass off...despite what some may think of their extra curricular activities.  This Chambero clown is a narrow minded bigot and from his disdain towards college football players, guarantee he weighs in at about a buck 25.  God forbid a kid at a christian school partaking of an herb god himself put forth on the earth. 

cattleman70

My take.

EMAW All the way. Collin Klein taking the cats all the way to a big 12 championship. Nebraska is over their head in the big 10. SEC=toughest conference, therefore A&M+Mizzou+SEC's best (LSU, Bama, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee etc. etc.) = Tough road ahead. TCU could be a sleeper in the Big 12. West Virginia did well in the Big East... granted the Big East. I'd like to see them longhorns make a rebound, but maybe not. Sooners could put the volleyball squad out and still manage to win games. Stoops knows his football. Always root for the Cowboys, but no Blackman or Weeden, its gonna be hard. Baylor is going back to usually Baylor now that RG3 is gone. Texas Tech, KU, ISU are the bottom, but one of them manage to throw in an upset in. K-State has a chance to be big 12 champs this year. Klein get's the living snot beat out of him every game and just gets right back up and keep playing. Hard nose football. He's taking us to the Fiesta Bowl.

EMAW

chambero

I should know better than to let our resident crazy old fart pull me offsides.  

XBAR - my original point was lots of folks were throwing darts at Texas football and comparing the relative worth of their schools on that basis.  Everyone was giving Jeff hell for bringing other sports into the discussion.  What I was trying to point out was that the football players are a poor reference to be comparing schools against one another.  Football players at any D1 university are not representative of students at those schools or kids in other sports for the most part.  You have to be really, really good and really, really tough to play D1 football.  Almost all of them are recognized as being that good very young in life and have been coddled by everyone in their life for their whole life.  To be that good, most aren't good at much else. Of course they work out hard, but that is very different than working hard at other things.

I didnt realize Pottsboro turned out so many D1 football players if that is your first hand experience you are referencing.  In the "its a small world category", I grew up in a little town you might recall playing a little ball against called Pilot Point.  You know how those games usually tunout, particularly back in the day.  I love football, I played in high school, and that is the only thing my boys do now besides show calves.  Some of my best friends and former teamates run the Celina and Collinsville programs.

But if you think your hardworking "Rudy's" are what populates D1 rosters for the most part you are fooling yourself.

For what its worth I hope OSU wins the Big 12, wish Leach was still at Tech, and hope A&M survives the SEC.

And my favorite sport is Texas high school football, more specifically small school Texas football.  Nothing better for a boy to grow up being a part of, but being a part of one of those programs is a world away from big time college football for lots and lots of reasons.

GONEWEST

One of these days in the not too distant future, the accountants in the  A&M and Missouri athletic departments will be heard saying, " It cost HOW MUCH to send the girls Volley Ball team to Columbia, SC? The equestrian team has to go WHERE? FLORIDA? The girls golf team has to go to Nashvegas for WHAT? Do you know how much hotel rooms are there?"  This isn't just about a football game or two.

chambero

That is what has me scratching my head about all of the realignments that take schools out of their regions.  That's why TCU lucked out by getting into the Big 12 and out of their planned move to the Big East.

OKshorthorn

Chambero, if you and your boys find your way up north near Stillwater this fall, be sure to let me know. You, or anyone else for that matter, are always welcome at the tailgate. Good food, and maybe the occasional adult beverage.

chambero

I'm sending my oldest to OSU's livestock judging camp in July.  This is the first year he's old enough.  I think OSU is a heck of a school for a lot of reasons.  If my kids were going to study cattle - OSU would actually be my first recommendation to them for our environment and the type of cattle we raise.  Love the OSU vet facility.

DCC show cattle

I said what I said to show how people's feathers get ruffled so easily. A degree is a degree regardless where it comes from. And I agree with chambero I was going to Osu until out of state tuition popped up haha

OKshorthorn

I've attended that camp a couple times. Mark Johnson knows cattle, that is for sure. At one time he had one of the most impressive cow herds I had ever seen, not sure about now. Not near as nice of a guy in the classroom though!!

Davis Shorthorns

Ok I do not like A&M.  When they left it could of and probably should have put KSU, ISU, and Baylor in a mediocre conference.  I personally think that all of the A&M fans that think they left for any other reason but to get away from their big brother Tejas are blissfully blind.  Sorry jmo. I hope that MU and A&M kick A$$ in the SEC just to shut everyone up.  Do I think it will happen no but would love it.  Just like I wanted UN to whup up on the Big 10.  I still didn't want CU to do anything sorry just hate that school.  Also the worst experience I have ever had at a game was the 03 championship game where it seemed like the whole stadium BOO'd the KSU BAND!!!  Then mr Stoops ran his team right through them.  Saw it with my own eyes.  Then broken minnivan windows after a game in KC in Dec. 

JSchroeder

Speaking of blissfuly blind, what conference would you guys be in if A&M went along with the original plan for the Big XII south to go to the PAC.

If theres no reason for teams to leave the Big XII ther wouldnt be a reason for all of the teams to give their TV rights to the conference.  The SEC doesnt even have an exit fee.

Davis Shorthorns

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Speaking of blissfuly blind, what conference would you guys be in if A&M went along with the original plan for the Big XII south to go to the PAC.

If theres no reason for teams to leave the Big XII ther wouldnt be a reason for all of the teams to give their TV rights to the conference.  The SEC doesnt even have an exit fee.

Oh I am not blind to anything.  KSU KU and ISU best case would be in the falling apart big east.  Most likely in the WAC or MWC.  A couple more years of 10 win seasons by KSU and the pac 12 or Big MAYBE, and thats a BIG maybe. 

Davis Shorthorns

Personally I would rather see the big 12 back to how it was.  I am happy what it is doing now, but I just hated to see the rivalry's die like OU vs UN, UT vs A&M, KU vs MU it is not good for college football to kill those rivalry's.  I do love the new Big 12 vs SEC new years bowl game in 2014!!! 

JSchroeder

No reason for those rivalries to die other than pettiness on the part of the teams scorned by their rivals leaving the conference.  The Big XII is barely old enough to drive, it wasn't a reason for any of those teams being rivals.

Davis Shorthorns

Jeff_Schroeder said:
No reason for those rivalries to die other than pettiness on the part of the teams scorned by their rivals leaving the conference.  The Big XII is barely old enough to drive, it wasn't a reason for any of those teams being rivals.

The big 12 no not a reason, but how long had Neb and OU play each other?  UT and A&M? KU & MIZZU?  When the teams left the conference THEY were the schools that said that the rivalry's weren't as important as money.  I for one am glad that that the big 12 schools wont let the deserters save face by playing them every year.  Let it go down in history who killed all those rivalry's.

aj

I guess I'm petty......but to hell with NU and Colorado and the fence crawlers.....MU.......m an m and whoever. In my opinion I think Osborne way over thought this deal. They should just lined up and played ball..........