Full Blood Maine Weekly Update

Help Support Steer Planet:

doc-sun

Medium Rare said:
mark tenenbaum said:
Written in red-Hes pretty cool but he sure aint breed a heifer material O0

No, I meant to IVF with after she's bred. I wouldn't breed a heifer to any of the above and definitely not an old pedigree FB Maine heifer.
TO EDUCATE MYSELF, WHAT SHORTHORN BREEDERS WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THOSE EGGS? WHAT IS AN EXAMPLE OF A NEW "pedigree FB Maine heifer"?

Medium Rare

doc-sun said:
TO EDUCATE MYSELF, WHAT SHORTHORN BREEDERS WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THOSE EGGS? WHAT IS AN EXAMPLE OF A NEW "pedigree FB Maine heifer"?

I'm not sure they would be. Unfortunately, a lot of shorthorn owners probably need to be, or want to be, told what to buy and the majority would not be interested in the eggs from an unknown outsourced cow line. Take those F1-7/8ths registered daughters, get a good picture, breed them to a bull they are currently being told is good, and they'll magically overlook what they scoffed at 2 years ago while bidding on their calves.

The use of the Written in Red bull would be my way of gambling at creating something that is so rare in the breed today that I think it will have a lot of value in the near future. There are quite a few people who want to buy good shorthorn steers but they are really hard to find outside of ~2 breeders anymore, so they don't. There is a bit of a void to be filled there if someone wanted to do it.

I always look at embryo creation as "I want to own this as a cow". If someone convinces me it needs to be theirs before that happens, great.

I know so few FB Maine breeders anymore I wouldn't even know where to find a nice modern pedigree. Everything around me turned black decades ago.

mark tenenbaum

Im just looking to try and find a good fullblood to use on my Jazz cow NOT THE STINGER BABIES and Im not trying to sell any Stinger. His calves will have purebred Shorthorns guess thats my definition of a fullblood. GUESS DOC SUN doesnt have a bull on hand to use AI on her.Too bad-they are presented as 3/4 Shorthorns which is what I am looking for-Probably clean too. So we will use  How its Done-maybe go back to 4S Impact Shaker Hes a Shakedown x Dividends impact x old Irish Oklahoma breeding. -I need them thick,I NEED THEM TO GROW, and be as level topped as the young "fullblood?' heifer pictured. And I have never needed anyone to make up my mind for me nor have I bred that way. I doubt that very many Shorthorn breeders other than people like Will Lane, Sharon Herje, Jason Taylor and others even have a clue about the cattle I am talking about.Shes a very moderate female.Like I said- Stinger was the only maine semen I had at the time.If you look at the Klubhowse thread theres a potential steer baby pictured about three weeks old on there-Hopefully he will be larger than a 4 frame like some of the Written in red Types. Maybe a bull Maybe we can see some other peoples calves if the ad ware garbage doesnt cover over whats left of this site.The other picture is the calfs  sire-in 1997 at two weeks +- old I Took that one the first time I met Wendall Dunn Then we went down to REI and saw Double Stuff and his full brother. Hopefully we can post a few things but it seems the adware virus has taken over. First the aluminum windows now its worse. O0

doc-sun

mark tenenbaum said:
Im just looking to try and find a good fullblood to use on my Jazz cow NOT THE STINGER BABIES and Im not trying to sell any Stinger. His calves will have purebred Shorthorns guess thats my definition of a fullblood. GUESS DOC SUN doesnt have a bull on hand to use AI on her.Too bad-they are presented as 3/4 Shorthorns which is what I am looking for-Probably clean too. So we will use  How its Done-maybe go back to 4S Impact Shaker Hes a Shakedown x Dividends impact x old Irish Oklahoma breeding. -I need them thick,I NEED THEM TO GROW, and be as level topped as the young "fullblood?' heifer pictured. And I have never needed anyone to make up my mind for me nor have I bred that way. I doubt that very many Shorthorn breeders other than people like Will Lane, Sharon Herje, Jason Taylor and others even have a clue about the cattle I am talking about.Shes a very moderate female.Like I said- Stinger was the only maine semen I had at the time.If you look at the Klubhowse thread theres a potential steer baby pictured about three weeks old on there-Hopefully he will be larger than a 4 frame like some of the Written in red Types. Maybe a bull Maybe we can see some other peoples calves if the ad ware garbage doesnt cover over whats left of this site.The other picture is the calfs  sire-in 1997 at two weeks +- old I Took that one the first time I met Wendall Dunn Then we went down to REI and saw Double Stuff and his full brother. Hopefully we can post a few things but it seems the adware virus has taken over. First the aluminum windows now its worse. O0
I HAVE SEMEN ON THE FIRST 3 BULLS REGISTERED AS 75% SHORTHORN. KNABE ON THE 4TH. $50 A STRAW AND 10 STRAW MINIMUM ON MY 3. YOU PAY SHIPPING FROM SHOW ME GENETICS IN MISSOURI.

Attachments

• j101015pics 003.jpg
    j101015pics 003.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 33
  • imperialfb25y.jpg
    imperialfb25y.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 33
  • slashfb8y.jpg
    slashfb8y.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 31
  • EPL prospector 242P.JPG
    EPL prospector 242P.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 35

mark tenenbaum

Have 4-5 total cows just looking to flush the old Proud jazz Wasnt Yukon on sek cattle visions or one of those? Guess Ill just have to try Cunia or Shakedown or see what my Buddy at Diamond M has He said I should use General Lee Or Old Wierd Harolds Flash Bull-Vistas Sentra 20U  O0

knabe

You can look him up in shorthorn Assn to see how he was used.

Very limited semen. 

Him and his flushmate were purchased at a dispersal sale out of Canada and used on shorthorns.

There was a couple fullbloods.

Flushmate to heifer was national champion a while back.

He’s a nice straight topped bull.

Prob gets sone of his thickness from vainquer bull.

doc-sun

mark tenenbaum said:
Have 4-5 total cows just looking to flush the old Proud jazz Wasnt Yukon on sek cattle visions or one of those? Guess Ill just have to try Cunia or Shakedown or see what my Buddy at Diamond M has He said I should use General Lee Or Old Wierd Harolds Flash Bull-Vistas Sentra 20U  O0
I GUESS IT SHOULD BE SUCH AN HONOR TO FLUSH YOUR "old Proud jazz" COW THAT I SHOULD JUST GIVE YOU THE SEMEN. NOT. TO HELP YOU OUT STREAMLINER, CAPONE, CALBERTA COMMANDER, COVINO III, DABLAS PRIDE, EPINAL, INOX, BNT TALON, AND TRI CANDO AS WELL AS SHAKEDOWN AND CUNIA ARE ALL FULLBLOOD MAINES THAT ARE 75% IN THE SHORTHORN REGISTRY. I HAVE SEMEN ON ALL OF THEM AND AM SURE KNABE HAS SEMEN ON OTHERS.

mark tenenbaum

No it s not an honor and I dont ever ask for anything for free Maybe some body else will spend $500 to $1000 to use a maine Wanna tell me whoo has LATELY?-Im from West Va - I just cant spend $500 to use what would be one straw (with heifer plus which accelerates the whole breeding process and proven to flush very well with one straw))  on the one cow. If your bull was still up on SEK or whatever Id buy a few like all the rest of the small breeders and mere mortals: WHICH ARE THE MAJORITY OF BREEDERS OVERALL WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT. And very few of them follow the BS we see all the time about the next BIG THING -Where you pay $500 for a breeding share of broken record CAST OFF COW KILLER GENETICS WHEN THE REAL BREEDER OF THOSE SECOND HAND GENETICS IS SULLIVAN WHO HAS DUMPED JUST ABOUT ANYTHING TO DO WITH SHORTHORNS-AND YOU NEVER SEE ONE DAUGHTER OUT OF 90% of the breeding ever record a calf THAT ALSO GOES FOR MANY OF THE BIG $ SELLERS ON SCHRAGS SULLIVAN , CATES GREENHORN THE WHOLE CLICQUE-NEVER SEE ANYTHING LATER OUT OF MOST OF THE HEIFERS SOLD. STEVIE WONDER COULD SEE THAT . IM JUST A DUMB HILLBILLY THE WHOLE DEAL IS OVER MY HEAD-LIKE INDOOR PLUMBING  O0

knabe

I think the spirit of the thread is fullblood Maines, not capital letters (shouting) Sullivan bashing and complaining semen of limited quantity bull isn’t free.   

Find a cow you like that makes 15+ eggs with ivf, then it doesn’t matter the cost of semen as you only use one unit.

Most people aren’t going to sell you limited fullblood semen to use on a non-fullblood.

I guess you are not really interested in fullbloods anyway.

doc-sun

mark tenenbaum said:
  No it s not an honor and I dont ever ask for anything for free Maybe some body else will spend $500 to $1000 to use a maine Wanna tell me whoo has LATELY?-Im from West Va - I just cant spend $500 to use what would be one straw (with heifer plus which accelerates the whole breeding process and proven to flush very well with one straw))  on the one cow. If your bull was still up on SEK or whatever Id buy a few like all the rest of the small breeders and mere mortals: WHICH ARE THE MAJORITY OF BREEDERS OVERALL WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT. And very few of them follow the BS we see all the time about the next BIG THING -Where you pay $500 for a breeding share of broken record CAST OFF COW KILLER GENETICS WHEN THE REAL BREEDER OF THOSE SECOND HAND GENETICS IS SULLIVAN WHO HAS DUMPED JUST ABOUT ANYTHING TO DO WITH SHORTHORNS-AND YOU NEVER SEE ONE DAUGHTER OUT OF 90% of the breeding ever record a calf THAT ALSO GOES FOR MANY OF THE BIG $ SELLERS ON SCHRAGS SULLIVAN , CATES GREENHORN THE WHOLE CLICQUE-NEVER SEE ANYTHING LATER OUT OF MOST OF THE HEIFERS SOLD. STEVIE WONDER COULD SEE THAT . IM JUST A DUMB HILLBILLY THE WHOLE DEAL IS OVER MY HEAD-LIKE INDOOR PLUMBING  O0
lets try again. if i like the cow, i have provided semen for flushes before for a share of the embryos. interested?

doc-sun

knabe said:
I think the spirit of the thread is fullblood Maines, not capital letters (shouting) Sullivan bashing and complaining semen of limited quantity bull isn’t free.   

Find a cow you like that makes 15+ eggs with ivf, then it doesn’t matter the cost of semen as you only use one unit.

Most people aren’t going to sell you limited fullblood semen to use on a non-fullblood.

BACK TO FULLBLOODS
https://maine-anjou.digitalbeef.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=_animal&file=_animal&animal_registration=532964

Attachments

• IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 9

knabe

pedigree summary. lots of poly cumberland and one shot of grandsire of 242P bull, Epinal, cunia (through trump).

nice to see the breeder stuck with a program (improver 3rd, coronet, poly females with a touch of maine) through all those generations.

even though bull is nicely fitted, https://www.thegenesource.com/club-calf-breeds/cattle-semen/fsf-written-in-red-et, i like him better than the jazz bull

mark tenenbaum

Im not bashing Sullivan Hes a brilliant marketer and made huge $ Now hes moved into other breeds. But I expect purebred females to produce calves That means all of the ones in any given sale. Ive spent hours looking through pedigrees on Shorthorn.org.From catalogues I kept (100s).The number of HI $ heifers who never register a calf is phenominal. I guess a fullblood maine is one thats not black LOL. That's where many of the real world useful cattle came from in Oklahoma and Texas. And Kansas. SEK at one point had a bunch of old maines. General Lee comes to mind.

knabe

I guess a fullblood maine is one thats not black LOL.
A fullblood maine is one that is in the Canadian registration with typically uninterrupted parentage verified with DNA markers. typically, this goes back to original import bulls, cows, pregnant cows, .

most of the "fullblood" Maine's only registered in the American registry have not been parentage verified, hence you have national champion polled bulls out of horned parents. this also renders any epd's derived from unverified parentage, unsuitable for use.

Polling from horned parents could have been a mutation, but since no parentage has been confirmed on all animals, their parentage can not be confirmed. There were two separate verified mutations in the Canadian registry from which all polled fullbloods come from.

here is cunia's page in the canadian registry.

note both the old system, blood typing, and the new system, DNA markers.

an animal without uninterrupted dna verification is a purebred

Last edited:

mark tenenbaum

A fullblood maine is one that is in the Canadian registration with typically uninterrupted parentage verified with DNA markers. typically, this goes back to original import bulls, cows, pregnant cows, .

most of the "fullblood" Maine's only registered in the American registry have not been parentage verified, hence you have national champion polled bulls out of horned parents. this also renders any epd's derived from unverified parentage, unsuitable for use.

Polling from horned parents could have been a mutation, but since no parentage has been confirmed on all animals, their parentage can not be confirmed. There were two separate verified mutations in the Canadian registry from which all polled fullbloods come from.

here is cunia's page in the canadian registry.

note both the old system, blood typing, and the new system, DNA markers.

an animal without uninterrupted dna verification is a purebred
Here"s a Powerplant who made some great cows including one that went straight back to one of the EARLY POLY D Cumberlands that remain one of the three most important cow families in American Shorthorns JMO He's .JDS FIREMAN- MA 18350 His Cumberland daughter (from J and H land company) registered 12 calves Shes 3942581 I saw some nice fertile cows from Rocker Bros who were sired by him. I may just use him Semen"s available CHEEEEEEEP relatively speaking . But he seemed to be a very well rounded sire not extreme as some like FLASH.

MA28712 [ ] TIMON
connector
*MA23006 [ ] ETULA
Red & White, 02/14/1971, QUEBEC A.I. CENTER​
connector
MA79351 [ ] TENDRESSE
connector
*MA6174 [ BR20H ] TWIN CREEK ETULASON
Red & White, 04/25/1976, J B RANCH​
connector
MA29190 [ ] VANITOU
connector
MA80333 [ ] IDALLE
connector
MA100939 [ ] DALLE
Sire:
sxMA84546 [ DJBM852 ] POWER PLANT PHAF THF
03/23/1980​

connector
MA100056 [ ] ATAN
connector
MA6963 [ 123565 ] CUNIA PHAF THF
Red & White, 06/10/1969, ROBERT BOUVET​
connector
MA100057 [ ] PETUNIA
connector
MA74164 [ ] DE 310

connector
MA49908 [ ] DE 30

connector
MA7986 [ ] SHAVER HEADSMAN 11H

connector
MA11716 [ ] SHAVER NELSON 27N

connector
MA11715 [ ] MISS SHAVER 25G
Dam:
MA22230 [ ] JDS WANDA

connector
MA12344 [ ] MULROY NAPOLEON 21N

connector
MA14446 [ ] MULROY SANDRA 12S

connector
MA14445 [ ] MULROY MELISSA 10M

knabe

general lee is not a fullblood. the rosie cow on the bottom is classified as a half-blood. may be a fullblood, but not entered as such, so general does not qualify as a fullblood.

beaufort gallant, on the other hand is a fullblood. there is no DNA on him, but since he is an original import, submitting a straw to get genetic markers would qualify him with a petition to the canadian association to use him.

twin creek etulason, was extremely post legged for some reason. his sire was not. power plant was notoriously crippled. the best Maine in that pedigree is shaver nelson, and he's a purebred (15/16) he's thick on thick, caqui, bysantin, franco xi.

knabe

Here"s a Powerplant who made some great cows including one that went straight back to one of the EARLY POLY D Cumberlands that remain one of the three most important cow families in American Shorthorns JMO He's .JDS FIREMAN- MA 18350 His Cumberland daughter (from J and H land company) registered 12 calves Shes 3942581 I saw some nice fertile cows from Rocker Bros who were sired by him. I may just use him Semen"s available CHEEEEEEEP relatively speaking . But he seemed to be a very well rounded sire not extreme as some like FLASH.

MA28712 [ ] TIMON
connector
*MA23006 [ ] ETULA
Red & White, 02/14/1971, QUEBEC A.I. CENTER​
connector
MA79351 [ ] TENDRESSE
connector
*MA6174 [ BR20H ] TWIN CREEK ETULASON
Red & White, 04/25/1976, J B RANCH​
connector
MA29190 [ ] VANITOU
connector