H.E.L.P!!!!!1

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

This particular teacher isn't big on learning or getting dirty.  She is one of the snotty people - if you dont have money she doesnt like you - oh well i have learned to live with it.  I will google those implants ;D thanks. I had to go rinse and blow the steers too.

DLD

Renegade, by (30 days before) weigh in do you mean at your actual market show or at some kind of nomination for a later show? What age is your steer, and what does he weigh now? If you are showing him in 30 days, is he adequate in frame size? How you need to be feeding him depends on all these things. I agree with other posters that beet pulp and alfalfa hay aren't going to help him gain - a couple of flakes a day of decent quality grass hay is all the roughage he needs for optimum gain. And what many feed suppliers sell as "sweet feed" isn't usually conducive to big a.d.g.'s either - although it's prob'ly more expensive, a show ration will probably be worth the difference in cost. If you're 30 days before your terminal show, it's crunch time, and you can't afford to cut corners. An implant might help, but I need to know more to recommend just what. Optiflexx is probably not the answer for you at this point, unless your steer is already pretty fat and very sound.

David

renegade

Well, my market show is now about 25 days away and my steer is only about 975 give or take a little - i have to haul to weigh so it makes it hard and i dont want him to lose anymore.  He was born last april and is a very good looking steer; the people who help me clip looked him over and like him a lot but said he just needs more weight - hence my problem getting him to eat.  We do have some different show rations around here but i was told that by others that they hadn't had much luck with it. 

I can get revlor s from my local feed/ vet supply store and it is 2.75 per dose but i would have to find a vet to help place the dose because there is a id tag in one ear and n.a.i.s tag in the other.

DLD

So you're looking at showing him at 15 months. If he's not very big framed, he may just be doing all he can do at this point. Most should have a little more in 'em though, so here's what I'd try if I were you;

I'd try to get the implant done this week, then - it should still help some. I'm still thinking you need to be feeding a good quality show calf finishing ration. Start mixing it half and half with what you're feeding now, then gradually work up to feeding entirely finisher in four or five days. He needs to be eating all he can eat at this point, so if he's cleaning up his feed, increase it to all he'll clean up in twenty minutes. The cooked corn and/or barley thing can help, but I haven't personally done it, but others here have, so someone else can help you better than I can with that.

Good luck, and keep us informed on how it's going.

David

renegade

He was eating pretty well the last week or so but today still hasn't finished his feed.  I am starting the cooking and i have already started adding oil, the implant will go in this week and i will look into the different show feed.

renegade

i saw another string on oxy explosion. Would that be benificial at this point or does it take a while to take effect?

DLD

I haven't used it myself, but I hear lots of good things. Might be worth a try, they say it works pretty fast.

David

afhm

Something that could work for you is go to TRactor Supply or somewhere close and get one of those cheap poly creep feeders.  Don't put the sides and front on it, use it like a self feeder.  Fill it up put it in his pen and let him go to town.  IF you don't want to do that then try feeding him 3 or more times a day.    Another thing to do if you don't do the feeder option is put the powder for of FAstrack, Probios or whatever probiotic you prefer in his feed everyday, that will make a huge difference in his eating and utilization of his feed.  Good luck.

red

Renegade- I'm afraid you'll make too many cheanges & throw him completley off if you start adding to many things. Since you're looking at such a short time span you need to keep it simple.
I like Afhm's idea. Just keep the feed to him without bloating him or putting him off feed. Watch his manure to make sure he's not scouring, keep him cool & give plenty of fresh water too.
Can't wait to hear how you do.

Red

afhm

regarding his stool, loose is good, hard and compact is not and watery is not either.  When animals are getting the most use of their feed they will have a looser stool and there will be little to no feed residue( ie corn) seen in it.

red

Great point!
Make sure he's utilizing the feed by not too much just passing through. That's when I like the probiotics.

Red

knabe

i had a feedlot feeder come look at my one steer i'm trying to feed to "prime".  he said a stool should have the consistency of pumpkin pie.

ratmama2

Where can you get the oxy explosion? I have googled it but got no sources for it.
Thanks,
Ratmama

austin

sullivans

Or there's some numbers you could try from http://www.oxyexplosion.com/

cherokee1

Since you know how much he weighs, and assuming that you have a starting weight, have you figured out his daily gain?  By taking total weight gained and divide by days between weights?  Then once you have that figure say it is an even 3 pounds per day, you would times that figure by how many days until you weigh in for fair so you know how close you will be to the projected weight. 

I know how frustrating it can be!!

red

Renegade- unless you're feeding a large amount of cattle, corn gluten just not practical for you. Check w/ AAOK, he has an excellant ration that although you might not use for this year, can keep in mind for next year.

Red

bluegrass

Renegade, if its going to be close make sure he's as full as you can get him when he hits the scales. 5 gallons of water may make the differance in making it or not.