Hey Ellbee!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Have you had any full Irish cows by 3rd? I've got some embryo's by 3rd out of a Dividend x Castletroy Linda 3rd dtr. Just wondered what they might be like?

ELBEE

Never any (full) Irish, But we had good success using him on his daughters. We had a few 3rd daughters crossed with Duke of Dublin. It was a shame more breeders didn't reproduce the full Irish. We never did own a full Irish cow.
I am looking forward to a flush between the 3rd and a Strawberry cow in Maryland. On paper it will be full Irish + linebred.

Doc

I've got a few full Irish cattle still & several embryo's. I just 2 Irish Mist hfrs. last year that are out of a cow by the original Deerpark Leader bull x the original Scarlet O'hare cow.

red

Doc, wow some great bloodlines. How did you come about those or they just from storage?

Red (welcome)

Doc

I've still got the cow. I had some I.M. semen to flush her with & got 3 eggs , got 2 calves out of them with both heifers. The cow had a TPS Coronet Leader 21st heifer in November.

ELBEE

Doc, here's the genealogy of our senior herd sire. (TH-FREE)

-  WO Dividend 3J

FS Improvers Plus 021M ET
                                                          -Improver 3rd
                      - ELBEE Influence 1981     
                                                          -(pre-Irish) (Leader 21st)
              -  ELBEE Augusta Gwen
                                                            -  Improver
                      -  WO Augusta Improver 32H
                                                            -(pre-Irish) (4D's Command 50th)

justintime

Doc said:
I've still got the cow. I had some I.M. semen to flush her with & got 3 eggs , got 2 calves out of them with both heifers. The cow had a TPS Coronet Leader 21st heifer in November.

One of our donors is a full Irish female named Waymar J&J Strawberry 96. We flushed her to Highfield Irish Mist 3 years ago and got 28 grade 1 embryos. We have flushed her to Duke of Dublin as well as several Shorthorn sires. We have sold embryos from her to 5 countries. We are using an ET son HC Mist's Return 13R ( a son of Irish Mist) in our herd. He has the shortest gestation length we have seen in any Shorthorn bull for a long time, and this has made him an exceptional calving ease sire. We calved 31 heifers to him this spring and never saw a calf born. I even bred his ET full sister to him and she had a very nice red neck roan heifer calf that looks like she will be a keeper for sure. YOu can see him on our website at www.horseshoecreekfarms.com . Strawberry 96 will be flushed again this coming Friday, this time to Wolf Willow Major Leroy.
I also flushed  another of our donors, Shadybrook Presto 73G, to TPS Coronet Leader 21st x this spring and we got 6 grade 1 embryos. I sold 3 to Iowa and implanted 3 myself. At 6 weeks we still have 3 pregnancies, so I have my fingers and toes crossed, hoping that we keep them all.I still have enough Leader 21st for a couple more flushes.

Show Heifer

Hey, Elbee, just wanted to tell ya, I bred some cows to Wymore....my neighbor had a nice set of heifers and he wanted to try something new. They were gelv X angus, limi X ang, and a few gelv X limi.  Both blk and red. All really nice heifers. I have first dibs on the calves..... (clapping)

DL

Hey ELBEE - you gonna let SEK handle Wymore semen next year?

DL

ELBEE said:
If Coover is willing, yes.

Excellent - I will encourage him!
PS I posted this before somewhere but it may be lost in the madness - the Big Red Cow - ultrasounds pg (now at 61 days) to Gizmo - I am pretty excited!

justintime

justintime said:
Doc said:

One of our donors is a full Irish female named Waymar J&J Strawberry 96. We flushed her to Highfield Irish Mist 3 years ago and got 28 grade 1 embryos. We have flushed her to Duke of Dublin as well as several Shorthorn sires. We have sold embryos from her to 5 countries. We are using an ET son HC Mist's Return 13R ( a son of Irish Mist) in our herd. He has the shortest gestation length we have seen in any Shorthorn bull for a long time, and this has made him an exceptional calving ease sire. We calved 31 heifers to him this spring and never saw a calf born. I even bred his ET full sister to him and she had a very nice red neck roan heifer calf that looks like she will be a keeper for sure. YOu can see him on our website at www.horseshoecreekfarms.com . Strawberry 96 will be flushed again this coming Friday, this time to Wolf Willow Major Leroy.
I also flushed  another of our donors, Shadybrook Presto 73G, to TPS Coronet Leader 21st x this spring and we got 6 grade 1 embryos. I sold 3 to Iowa and implanted 3 myself. At 6 weeks we still have 3 pregnancies, so I have my fingers and toes crossed, hoping that we keep them all.I still have enough Leader 21st for a couple more flushes.

Attachments

• Waymar J&J Strawberry 96-2006.jpg
    Waymar J&J Strawberry 96-2006.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 393

Doc

Hey JIT, She's a good looking cow. I've got a full irish Ldr. 18th x Strawberry cow. Do you have any of the Irish Mist eggs for sale?

red

As usual, Red is not afraid to ask the stupid question!
Please explain Irish bloodlines to me. Is is an area where they came from or a certain family?

Thanks so much!
Red

Doc

Red, when someone says full Irish they mean that all of it's ancestors derived from cattle or semen  brought over from Ireland. I know they have taken a hard rap lately for the TH issue, but I would I hate to think were we would be without the full Irish cattle. It's hard to find a Shorthorn pedigree without any Irish cattle in it.

red

Thanks Doc! I really appreciate the great information you & others are providing us about the Shorthorn breed & especially the older genetics. I'm amazed at how much I have learned over the months.

Red

justintime

I don't have any Irish Mist embryos at this time. Maybe check with Ron Robarge, Ney, Ohio as he purchased 1/2 interest in this cow, and he has received about 30-40 embryos from her.