Hurricane Ike

Help Support Steer Planet:

steermomintx

I am in south central Texas, they are telling us we will get some really bad weather.  We were going to go to a prospect show this weekend but it has been canceled. Is there anyone on Steerplanet in the direct path of the storm??  Good luck to everyone in this storms path and stay safe!!!!!!!!!  (angel) (angel) (angel) (angel)

SKF

I'll be thinking of you this weekend. Everyone who is in Ike's path with be in my prayers and thoughts. Last week they thought he was heading our way. Yesterday and today we have gotten a lot of rain and wind from Ike.

Simmymom1

We are about 60 miles off the coast of Matagorda.  We were supposed to have steer tag-in on Saturday for our county fair, but now they have postponed it.  They said they are going to adjust the weight requirements which is good because my daughter's steer is weighing heavy and it sure would be hard to hold him if they did not adjust the maximum weight.  Good luck to all of us, we will just have to see where it is going to actually come in at to see how hard we are going to get hit.  Lisa

chambero

Up in north Texas, we are getting lots of rain now and supposed to get a whole lot more this weekend from the hurricane.  We'll take it, but we are scrambling right now because we can't get round bales into our heifer lots that are in the middle of calving.  Never had that problem this time of year before.  I hope our cows calving in the pastures are ok because we can't get to them right now except for ATVs.

steermomintx

chambero,
your right that is an unsual problem this time of year, I wish you the best of luck!!  We are just north of San Antonio, we will see what happens!!

Simmymom1--you stay safe and hope the weight thing works in your favor!!!!!!!!

gocanes719

I am north of Houston.  I really don't think san Antonio will see much.  I think here in Houston we will get hammered with rain if everything stays the same.  We will be on the wrong side of this storm I am afraid.  I wouldn't want to be in matagorda.

Simmymom1

Okay, now they are saying that it might turn into a Catagory 4 Hurricane......now I am getting worried.  If we decide to leave, we have to take one steer, two horses and a couple of dogs.  Just not sure which direction right now we would need to go to.  We boarded up the windows today and other things to prepare.  I will just leave the rest of the horses in the pasture, they hopefully will be fine.  Not worried about the cattle in the pasture, just my daughter's show steer.  I guess we will make the decision tomorrow on what we will do.  Maybe it will change the direction on which way it goes.  On a happier note for my daughter, they cancelled school for Thursday and Friday!!

*** Just had a thought..maybe SD or Knabe could contact their alien buddies and they could "beam" my family and our animals out of here for a few days!!!  ha ha

doubled

Simmymom1 said:
Okay, now they are saying that it might turn into a Catagory 4 Hurricane......now I am getting worried.  If we decide to leave, we have to take one steer, two horses and a couple of dogs.  Just not sure which direction right now we would need to go to.  We boarded up the windows today and other things to prepare.  I will just leave the rest of the horses in the pasture, they hopefully will be fine.  Not worried about the cattle in the pasture, just my daughter's show steer.  I guess we will make the decision tomorrow on what we will do.  Maybe it will change the direction on which way it goes.  On a happier note for my daughter, they cancelled school for Thursday and Friday!!

*** Just had a thought..maybe SD or Knabe could contact their alien buddies and they could "beam" my family and our animals out of here for a few days!!!  ha ha

hehe thats funny about Knabe- seriously take care, things can be replaced but family cant, be safe

krissy94

be careful and be safe you never know with these hurricanes, we were in the path of Isabelle and our new house almost got crushed by a tree, you just never know with the weather  ???, its so unpredictable.
I hope god stays with you and your family and keeps you and your animals out of harm  (angel)

txshowlamb

Well my steer show was cancelled MEdina COunty Fair its heading are way! Iam in SA but they say we wilol be hit but I dont know we are boarding uop the barn and hope it works.

Joe Boy

My Uncle is under Hopice care in Victoria and I am afraid that my Aunt and cousins will not leave him.

My son had been back at work one month from his tour in Iraq and was activated for the storm that hit New Orleans, they have been moved to San Antonio to wait and see where they have to go next.

We have had 4 days of drizzle but only have gotten .75 inches of rain.  We need it so badly.  I needed the cooler weather for my new born calves.  Last week I had to bath some of them as they were too hot on the pasture.  Their heifer mommas went to the shade tree but left them in the heat and they got too hot.

I have other relatives in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Marble Falls, Fredricksburg, etc.  Our great concern is for those in Victoria.  We were hoping it would hit further to the west to bring rain up to the areas that are really dry, but we have prayed that it would be one that does not become a 4 and cause lots of loss of life.  Unfortunately, it looks like the drought areas are not going to get any relief and those devastated by other storms will get it again.

Lindsey Farms

Im here in college station, classes are cancelled for tomorrow. saturday we are supposed to have 40-50mph winds and possible flooding. i got friends that go to school in houston and they were told to evacuate by tonight.

I hope everyone between me and the coast stay safe

steermomintx

Joe Boy said:
My Uncle is under Hopice care in Victoria and I am afraid that my Aunt and cousins will not leave him.

My son had been back at work one month from his tour in Iraq and was activated for the storm that hit New Orleans, they have been moved to San Antonio to wait and see where they have to go next.

We have had 4 days of drizzle but only have gotten .75 inches of rain.  We need it so badly.  I needed the cooler weather for my new born calves.  Last week I had to bath some of them as they were too hot on the pasture.  Their heifer mommas went to the shade tree but left them in the heat and they got too hot.

I have other relatives in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Marble Falls, Fredricksburg, etc.  Our great concern is for those in Victoria.  We were hoping it would hit further to the west to bring rain up to the areas that are really dry, but we have prayed that it would be one that does not become a 4 and cause lots of loss of life.  Unfortunately, it looks like the drought areas are not going to get any relief and those devastated by other storms will get it again.

Gosh that is terrible, I hope for your families sake the storm does not go into the Victoria area.  Your family is in my thoughts and prayers, that is a tough one!! (angel) (angel) (angel) (angel)

showsteerdlux

I'm on the Fire Department here in NC and they just sent out a page that the main pipeline in Texas was being shut down because of the storm and they were warning people to fill up while they still could. I sure hope everyone down there makes it through ok.

txshowlamb

They are also saying stack up on water my father was saying there say that the water finery will also have a great chance of being shut down.

tlw012

Just wanted to let everyone know in south Texas that Brazos county has set up a place for evacuated livestock. (cow)  It is located in Bryan,Texas at the Brazos Expo Center.

steermomintx

Everyone please stay safe, this looks to be a bad one!!  Simmymom1 I am thinking about you--stay safe!!

showstick09

I live in a small town, Carthage, right on the east border of Texas and Louisiana near Shreveport. Places around here are already running out of gas, and the places that haven't have spiked up to like $4 or more.

BIGTEX

Gas rose 30 cents over night in Dallas. I guess were welcoming everyone from Houston arms.