I'm wanting to pursue a degree in Animal Science (would like some feedback)

Help Support Steer Planet:

DR

I am currently using my An Sci degree but as an ag teacher. When I left school with my degree there were many opportunites for entry level positions but none offered anything that looked good long term. So I went into retail management and farmed at home. That worked great until I got burned out of the corporate rigamorole. I went back to school and got my teaching certification and am enjoying this career very much.

Moral of my story, it's not too late to find the career you seek. Make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons for you and your family.

Good luck in what you decide to do.

chambero

If you want to learn how to run a cattle operation, you should consider one of the more specialized schools.  For example, Texas Christian University has a 2-yr Ranch Management Program that is pretty much world-renowned.  I imagine other universities have similar programs.  In those programs you are basically going to school 40 hours a week + leanring about one thing.

The problem with all 4-year degrees, especially ag-related, is that they are too general and you don't really know how to do anything when you get out just from classroom part of it.  Relative to other degrees, Ag is even worse because they are watered down as far as math and science.  For example, an Ag Engineering degree is a watered down Mechanical Engineering degree.  You can get a job for an ag company with a mechanical engineering degree, but nobody but an ag company will touch an ag engineering major unless there are special circumstances (i.e. you know someone).  If you looked at vet school admissions, I bet you'll find more biology and genetics majors than you do Animal Science.  The ag programs don't require enough math and core science and that hurts them.  Ag Economics - you'd be better off with a true finance or business degree with a few focused ag classes taken as electives.

I entered college wanting to pursue an ag degree till some professors got a hold of me and told me the "way it was".  And they weren't wrong.

No four year degree is going to make you enough money to live and buy land - at least not in our part of the world in Texas.  It takes a lot of experience and patience working your way up.

In my opinion, 4 year ag degrees are great for kids that want to be ag teachers or for those that come from families already well established in the business.  Otherwise, you are better off with a hard core science or business degree that hits you with lots of math/science/accounting/ etc.  You can then follow that up with a specialized Ag-related Masters degree if you want.  But if you have a degree with Ag in the name, you've limited your playing field for jobs from Day 1.

AAOK

Mandy, Have you considered Ag Education?  If you would like to live in Oklahoma, it's a fact that OSU is producing less than 1/2 the Ag Teachers needed to fill the vacancies each year due to retirement.  The 537 public schools are desperate for all teachers, particularly vocational.  In 4 years, the crisis we be worse.  The minimum annual starting salary of an Ag teacher in OK is right at $40,000 + a truck + health care + retirement + a fall break, Christmas break, and a spring break (most have 20 days in the summer).  The average annual wage in the State is under $30,000, no benefits.  You can purchase unimproved land in rural areas for $300 - $600 per acre.  Improved pasture land with highway frontage for small acreages (10 - 60) will run $2000 - $3000 per acre.  Larger ranches, improved, $1000 - $2000 per acre.  Builders will build a custom home on your land for $75/Sq Ft.  

Do I have your interest yet?

At the age of 43, I decided I was burned out from the 29 years I had spent in our 3rd generation family business (21 yrs. as owner of our small western clothing store).  I closed the shop, and got out with enough money to last a year.  I had a BS in Recreation Management, which I had never even come close to using.  I spent a year selling feed for Moormans (enough $$ to live); three months selling yellow page advertising (Better$$); hired away by a local builder to handle their marketing ( even more $$$).  This one lasted three years.  For the past 8 years I have been working for a private, not-for-profit agency as a Solutions Provider for Oklahoma Manufacturers (I'll never get rich, but I have a great time).  Each of these totally different professions required a 4 year degree.  It never mattered about the major.  It's the piece of paper that counts!  Change is good.  Just Do It!  

On a side note:  The entire U.S.A. is in very short supply of CNC Machinists and Certified Welders.  The Technical Schools and Community Colleges can have a person prepared to go to work at these jobs in less than 1 year.  A Machinist (women are the best) can earn $45,000 their first year, and $65 - $75,000 within 4 - 5 years.  Most of these jobs are 4 days a week, with benefits.  Today's High School graduates are not pursuing these careers.  Most of them want to sit at a desk behind a computer, but don't have the skills or degree, and end up in retail, construction or at production jobs making $8 - $12 per hour.

Follow your heart...............

chambero

AAOK is exactly right about trades being overlooked.  There are not many people that pursue jobs that require technical skill like machining, welding, etc.  Lots of opportunities in those areas for men and women.  And most will pay a lot more than a four year degree.

Didn't realize ag teachers were in that short of supply.  That needs to be publicized.

GONEWEST

It depends on what is most important to you, a career doing something you love, or a career that pays you enough to do something you love on your own. As the owner of one of these pieces of paper you seek with a 3.96GPA from a major University, I can tell you that it is not worth the paper it is printed on, especially today. If you enjoy animal science and you are not interested in becoming a vet, do something that PAYS and then have your animal science fun on the side. Anything related to the medical field will be in high demand for a long, long time, it's recession proof, it pays well. The day after I graduated my JUCO adviser told me to go right back to school and get an MS in Nursing. There were no male nurses at that time. I thought he was an idiot. By now I couild be running a hospital, making enough money to buy all the land I need to do what I really want to do. I don't want to throw cold water on anyone who has said to pursue your dreams. But there is no pot of gold at the end of the vast majority of animal science rainbows.

knabe

chambero said:
The ag programs don't require enough math and core science and that hurts them. 

usually physics is left out, unless you are a pre-vet major.  also, ag has ag math.  some ag programs MAKE you take this rather than a more advanced class.  this class is essentially 8th grade math with ag words instead of non-ag words.  you can do your homework in class while the professor is doing the next lecture.  in one respect, it's an easy A and you can take more units.  when i went to school, the required number was 192 for four years.  i think i took about 320 averaging around 18-20/quarter.  it's not that much extra work to get a double major.  i didn't get a double major, but took classes i was interested in, and that's how i got started in molecular biology.  all too often, peope try and take the fewest units possible. 

when you are in college, you will NEVER have another opportunity to learn so much in such a small amount of time.  pretty soon other milestones begin to interfere, bills (not associated with college), marriage, kids, etc.

take advantage of the opportunity.  CA has a 25% high school dropout rate.  these people will need to work.  understanding them is something i have never considered.  perhaps a minor in psychology.

chambero

I think its a bad idea to force kids to "know what they're gonna do" when they enter college.  You might have an idea, but that's it.  Too many kids are scared to change majors.  I think your goal at the end of your bachelors degree should be to have a degree in something you think you want to do and enjoy, but do not take the easy way out.  Take the hardest classes you can even if you have to slow down.  I don't care if it takes 5 or even 6 years.  Double-majors are a great idea.  A 4 year degree combined with a technical trade is great.  Do something to set yourself apart a little and have yourself to really start learning when you start a job.

Those classes for easy A's are a waste of YOUR money and time.

fluffer

knabe said:
chambero said:
The ag programs don't require enough math and core science and that hurts them. 

usually physics is left out, unless you are a pre-vet major.  also, ag has ag math.  some ag programs MAKE you take this rather than a more advanced class.  this class is essentially 8th grade math with ag words instead of non-ag words.  you can do your homework in class while the professor is doing the next lecture.  in one respect, it's an easy A and you can take more units.  when i went to school, the required number was 192 for four years.  i think i took about 320 averaging around 18-20/quarter.  it's not that much extra work to get a double major.  i didn't get a double major, but took classes i was interested in, and that's how i got started in molecular biology.  all too often, peope try and take the fewest units possible. 

when you are in college, you will NEVER have another opportunity to learn so much in such a small amount of time.  pretty soon other milestones begin to interfere, bills (not associated with college), marriage, kids, etc.

take advantage of the opportunity.  CA has a 25% high school dropout rate.  these people will need to work.  understanding them is something i have never considered.  perhaps a minor in psychology.

I had to take Physics- It almost killed me  ;)  I also had to take some pretty difficult math courses as well.  Those were required for any BS.  Had to take 1 Physics, Chem, and Bio and then take a 2nd course in one of them.  There was PLENTY of math and science for me  ;D  I guess thats what you get when you get a Bachelors of Science.

Fluffer

knabe

chambero said:
Those classes for easy A's are a waste of YOUR money and time.

I agree with this, didn't mean to imply getting easy A's.  I petitioned to have this class traded with trig, calculus, and some other class for two years.  i took it my last quarter as a stinking requirement.  they said the reason was that the class would be empty if they didn't REQUIRE it.

the average number of times people change majors at a declare major school is 4 times.  for undeclared, it's 5.  often people use other majors to get into their major of choice as some majors are impacted.  one can take general ed/and/or core classes while they transfer. 

chambero's right about the set yourself apart when during this time, you are trying to be like everyone else.

Davis Shorthorns

GONEWEST said:
As the owner of one of these pieces of paper you seek with a 3.96GPA from a major University, I can tell you that it is not worth the paper it is printed on, especially today.

Dont know what school you went to, or where you live but the people I know that have a 3.5 gpa or higher are getting their doors beat down by people wanting them to come to their business. 

Show Heifer

Maybe it is not the An. Sci. degree that is useless, but the name upon the degree. 

Just a thought.

vet tech

I was 38 when I decided to go back to school to become an animal tech. No regrets. Pay in my state is 13-18.00 an hour. Great benifits. i get to work on small and large animals. It was a good move for me. Good Luck

JbarL

vet tech said:
I was 38 when I decided to go back to school to become an animal tech. No regrets. Pay in my state is 13-18.00 an hour. Great benifits. i get to work on small and large animals. It was a good move for me. Good Luck
when i was 38 i more or less got "sent" back to school....my employer of then about 20 yrs, decided i needed a local degree from our local cc to be able to do what i had been doing for the last 4 yrs.... ???....some of my "classmates" had been doing insturment repair work for this company for  20+ yr!!......it was interesting...i liked using my brain again....and stuck around for  another 7 yrs or so....25+ hr...26yrs service...retirement???....it just didnt add up for me....didnt really use my "degree"  or prior knowldge to change " directions".....but my office where i work now has a cat bowl in it.......it dont get no better than that......i make enough money to suit me and i wish i'd done it sooner sometimes....but i believe things happen when there supposed to........best of wishes here...jbarl

GONEWEST

Davis Shorthorns said:
GONEWEST said:
As the owner of one of these pieces of paper you seek with a 3.96GPA from a major University, I can tell you that it is not worth the paper it is printed on, especially today.

Dont know what school you went to, or where you live but the people I know that have a 3.5 gpa or higher are getting their doors beat down by people wanting them to come to their business. 

I didn't mean you couldn't get a job, although in the 30 years since I graduated, I have yet to have a potential employer look at a transcript to check grades. Maybe what i think is a good paying job and what others feel is a good paying job are just different.

JSchroeder

TheTruth, I realize that but there's a difference between requiring a degree and a specific animal science degree of somebody who has 20+ years working experience.  If he just wants to get into beef production, there are plenty of avenues a person such as him could take that would get him further along in four years than going to college.

Dale

In my ag ed classes the tech school reps say that current high school students will have 8 different careers, on the average.  There is often a need to go back to school again for the next career.  A BS in Animal Science is not the easiest row to hoe--microbiology, organic chemistry, biochemistry, zoology, botany, genetics, etc. require a good effort.  The four-year degree can open some doors for you.  The second time I went to college, I began my first course with another person who also was in her mid-forties.  A friend of mine was in seminary with an 84-year-old.  At a nearby junior college they offer help, if needed, for one to brush up on math or writing skills.

jimmyski

I graduated from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 2006 with a degree in Animal Science and can say that I had some very decent offers for very good money. However, most of them required moving around a lot and basically when and where those certain companies required. I guess I could have been more open minded but I could never really see myself moving out of the central plains. So I didn't take any of the jobs. Instead I continued my education at Colorado State pursuing an advanced degreed. Besides the fact that it is required for my current job, it didn't really increase my pay scale at the current moment. For me though, it's not about the money. It's about being in a location that I am happy with and I get to do a job that I absolutely love. I guarantee if I figured out what I got paid on an hourly basis it would be below minimum wage, but that's the choice I made and I have no regrets about it.

Like many have said, the Agricultural industry is not always very lucrative but if it is something you have a passion for and truely believe in all the wonderful attributes it has then I say go for it. You can continue down the same old path making more money somewhere else, but money doesn't always breed happiness either. I say do what you want, if it makes you happy then who are we to judge.

AAOK

Talk to High School and College Guidance Counselors, Job Placement Directors, and Business Recruiters; they will all say that the degree is much more important than the major or grades.  Even more so is personal envolvement in groups, clubs and leadership activities.  All the top recruits today are highly involved leaders.  With a BS or BA they can go to work anywhere.

Latest posts