I'm wanting to pursue a degree in Animal Science (would like some feedback)

Help Support Steer Planet:

mandy

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new, and have only posted on here a couple of times in the past.  This is my first time back on here in at least a month.

I am 40 years old, and wanting to change careers.  I'm currently thinking about going back to school to pursue a 4 year Bachelors Degree in Animal Science. 

Would like to hear some input from others on here who are either currently pursuing an Animal Science Degree, or those of you who already have a degree in that field  along with what type of job you have and what it's like. 

Just mainly want to know what to expect I guess you could say. 

Thanks.
Mandy :)

Jill

Save yourself 4 years of time and money and pursue a career that has a future.  If you have plenty of time and money and don't really care if you make money but want to do something you love than I say go for it.

GLZ

This might not be a popular opinion, but speaking from experience a 4 year animal science degree isn't worth the paper it is written on.  I don't mean to be a downer, but if you are going to major in animal science you better think about a masters or even a doctorate.  A 4 year degree just isn't worth that much.

I was a 4 year animal science student at U of I.  Most of my closest friends were 4 year animal science majors.  Just thinking off of the top of my head 3 of them went back to the farm, 2 of them went on to get their DVM, and myself I work in finance for a large agriculture company.

There just aren't that many jobs out there for a four year degree.

mandy

Jill said:
Save yourself 4 years of time and money and pursue a career that has a future.  If you have plenty of time and money and don't really care if you make money but want to do something you love than I say go for it.

Hi Jill,

If you're referring to a career that pays big bucks alone, I've already been down that road and ended up miserable. 

It's more about doing something that I love to tell you the truth.  However, at the same time I must admit that I am wanting to be able to get into a financial position so I can afford to buy at least a small farm and move away from the city.  Would like to make a decent living at doing something that I love.  Basically I want to have my cake and eat it too.....lol!

Mandy

mandy

StillLearning said:
This might not be a popular opinion, but speaking from experience a 4 year animal science degree isn't worth the paper it is written on.  I don't mean to be a downer, but if you are going to major in animal science you better think about a masters or even a doctorate.  A 4 year degree just isn't worth that much.

I was a 4 year animal science student at U of I.  Most of my closest friends were 4 year animal science majors.  Just thinking off of the top of my head 3 of them went back to the farm, 2 of them went on to get their DVM, and myself I work in finance for a large agriculture company.

There just aren't that many jobs out there for a four year degree.

Thank you for your honesty, I have to admit that is a bit discouraging to hear. 

At this point in my life, I don't think I would want to go back to school no more than 4 years to tell you the truth.  I wish I could do it in only two. 

GLZ

There just aren't a lot of jobs out there.  There are some sales jobs out there (feed, livestock products, semen)  If you are not interested in sales, there are almost no jobs out there. 

If you get a masters or doctorate there are lots of different research jobs that can be found.  However a 4 year degree really doesn't do much for you.  I enjoyed my education, and I made a lot of great contacts and learned a ton.  However the job market is just not there.

My first job with my animal science degree was at a boar stud.  It didn't pay hardly anything, and there were not any benefits.  My second job was my current one in finance.  I use absolutely nothing from my degree in my current job.  I would love to work livestock all day, but the reality is I develop wonderful excel spreadsheets all day.  Not fun, but it pays the bills which allow me to raise cattle on the side.

mandy

StillLearning said:
There just aren't a lot of jobs out there.  There are some sales jobs out there (feed, livestock products, semen)  If you are not interested in sales, there are almost no jobs out there. 

If you get a masters or doctorate there are lots of different research jobs that can be found.  However a 4 year degree really doesn't do much for you.  I enjoyed my education, and I made a lot of great contacts and learned a ton.  However the job market is just not there.

My first job with my animal science degree was at a boar stud.  It didn't pay hardly anything, and there were not any benefits.  My second job was my current one in finance.  I use absolutely nothing from my degree in my current job.  I would love to work livestock all day, but the reality is I develop wonderful excel spreadsheets all day.  Not fun, but it pays the bills which allow me to raise cattle on the side.

Well it sounds like I may have to consider something else then. 

My goal is to try and get into a field that I enjoy (not just for the sake of big bucks alone) without having to spend too many years in school, plus I want to one day purchase my own farm as I had mentioned in one of my previous posts.  I realize there are lots of older people who go back to pursue a degree, however at my age I just don't think I am up to pursuing no more than 4 years, so I guess I might want to consider something else.  Plus I kind of struggle when it comes to studying, and it takes me a bit longer than what it does for other students for me to catch onto certain things.  Having to go to school for a very long period of time, kind of seems overwhelming, and it makes me apprehensive I guess you could say. 

Any other suggestions that would not require as much school?  :)

GLZ

My suggestion would be to kind of decide what you want to be when you grow up.  I still have no idea, so you have plenty of time.  ;D

See if you can get more specific with what you want to be, and then tailor your education around that.  Do you like research, do you want to deal with people?  Once you have a little more direction that way pick your education to fit what will help you with your career choice.

As far as a job with animals that doesn't require a lot of education.  The first thing that comes to mind is a veterinarian technician.  You can usually get a 2 year associates degree and get hired on as a vet tech somewhere.  It isn't always the most glamorous of jobs, but at the same time it might fill that desire of working with animals.

farmboy

i have questions..

1. how much does a vetrinarian position pay
2. how many years of school to become a vet
3. is there much of a need for vets anymore to pay the bills with some on the side.

fluffer

Here is what I can tell you from personal experience:

I have a 4 year degree- A BS in Animail Science with a Minor in Ag. Business for Ohio State.  I am working for the same company I did when I was in high School (I have never worked anywhere else)  It is a company that manages Retail Grocery stores.  It really doesn't matter that I have a degree either.
Having a degree only makes me feel better I guess.  Unless your willing to travel a lot or relocate to anywhere- You will probalby not find a good job once you graduate.  Now, that is unless you go on to grad school.  Then you may be able to find soemthing.  If I could go back I probably would have studied Meat Science a little more and maybe food safety.
There are experiences that I got that I am glad that I have now.  But if your just looking for a career change, I would probably looks somewhere else.  I defenatly think going back to school is a great idea, just not the Animal Science.

Zach-
Vet school takes 4 years plus you have the 4 years undergrad just to get there.
Pay varries, but with the cost of getting your vet degree, you won't be rich
I don't understand your question # 3  :)))  But I can tell you that there is a desperate need for good large animal vets.  I was talking to a friend the other day who is prevet in OK and there are places out there that will pay your loans off once you graduate if you come to work for them.  The Ohio Cattlemens assoc in the past has put some pressure on the Vet school at Ohio St. to start selecting people who want to specialize in large Animal.  The problem is- any vet stuedent can specialize in large animal, but not everyone is good at it.

Fluffer

Show Heifer

Wow, no wonder the ag lifestyle is going downhill and no wonder the "outsiders" thing so badly of us. All this "oh our industry sucks" attitude is pathetic.

I say, LIVE YOUR DREAM. LIFE IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.  Money is nice, but it does not get you happiness (trust me - been on both sides and I would and will chose happiness over checking acct any day, any time!!!).

Changing life course at mid stage is a big deal. It takes guts, and bravery. It takes not caring what "others" think. Sounds like to me, some on this board might need a little of the guts and bravery things. If you all are so miserable in your ag life, CHANGE IT. Don't complain and whine about how awful it is and then continue with your misery. For Heavens sake, take some inititive and change something to make your life happier.

And education in ANYTHING does not mean you are an expert in that field, but to me (and many employers I have spoken to) and education means that the person is willing to work hard, dedicate themselves to a project, learn new things, take on challenges and yes, admit failure and over come it.

Today, working with animals DOES require an education, unless you are a chore boy. Although experience is 90% of ANY job, an education is still helpful to prove you are willing to go the extra mile and to see through a project.

No jobs out there??? You're joking right?? Our state/local paper is full of jobs with an ag background....some sales, some hands on, many management positions with  an education.

Go for it Mandy. I wish you all the luck in the world. It takes ambition and guts to do what you are doing and not everyone has those attributes and might be a bit jeoulous!!!  Follow your heart/passion and the money will follow.

itk

Mandy, not to get to personal but do you currently have a degree in anything. I would think alot of the current hours that you have (generals) could go against a AS degree and it could be obtained in less then 4 years. Also what are you currently doing for a job and is it remotely AS related. You might be able to get a ag job while going back to school and if you are really lucky they might help you pay for it.

Chap

I think the degree is secondary to your passion.  Do you already have a 4 year degree?  I don't remember the author, but the most accurate desciption of college that I ever heard was " we come to college, not to earn a degree, but to learn to live a life."  I fully beleive in the value of a good 4 year degree. It is simply the key to many carreer doors that you can not open otherwise.
I was not an An Sci major, but was in the college of agriculture.  I do know An Sci grads that have a range of carreers from herdsman, banker, chemical salesman, feed sales, nutritionist, elevator managers, financial advisors, etc.  Again the specific degree is secondary to the fact that you have "a degree".  Think hard about your goals and how to acheive them.  Then take the course of action that allows them to become reality.  If you do not have a 4 year degree, I would recommend going back to school and choosing the major/any mojor that you can enjoy.  If it is a struggle to motivate yourself to go to class, you will not be satisfied with the results.  JMHO,
Chap

GLZ

Show Heifer said:
Wow, no wonder the ag lifestyle is going downhill and no wonder the "outsiders" thing so badly of us. All this "oh our industry sucks" attitude is pathetic.

I say, LIVE YOUR DREAM. LIFE IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.  Money is nice, but it does not get you happiness (trust me - been on both sides and I would and will chose happiness over checking acct any day, any time!!!).

Changing life course at mid stage is a big deal. It takes guts, and bravery. It takes not caring what "others" think. Sounds like to me, some on this board might need a little of the guts and bravery things. If you all are so miserable in your ag life, CHANGE IT. Don't complain and whine about how awful it is and then continue with your misery. For Heavens sake, take some inititive and change something to make your life happier.

And education in ANYTHING does not mean you are an expert in that field, but to me (and many employers I have spoken to) and education means that the person is willing to work hard, dedicate themselves to a project, learn new things, take on challenges and yes, admit failure and over come it.

Today, working with animals DOES require an education, unless you are a chore boy. Although experience is 90% of ANY job, an education is still helpful to prove you are willing to go the extra mile and to see through a project.

No jobs out there??? You're joking right?? Our state/local paper is full of jobs with an ag background....some sales, some hands on, many management positions with  an education.

Go for it Mandy. I wish you all the luck in the world. It takes ambition and guts to do what you are doing and not everyone has those attributes and might be a bit jeoulous!!!  Follow your heart/passion and the money will follow.

Who is whining and complaing as you say?  She asked for an informed opinion and everyone so far has provided one.  Noone on here said as you put it "our industry sucks".  There are many exciting opportunities within the industry, but the usefulness of a Bachelor's in Animal Science is extremely limited.  A Masters or a Doctorate is a completely different story. 

justintime

I have to agree with Show Heifer on this one. If working in agriculture is something you have dreamed of, or something that interests you..... then GO FOR IT!!!!  I also can hardly believe some of the statements in this post about ag related jobs being dead end jobs and there being no future in then. Come on.. let's get real here. Production of food is a nobel profession and I think it will only become more nobel in the future. And I also agree that doing something that you want to do, will provide more benefits to you, in ways you could never imagine, than any amount of money could ever do. Some of the most miserable people I know are incredibly rich. This is not to say that you cannot do both... do something you love and get paid well for it. If you want it bad enough, you can do both.

My youngest sister did exactly what you are thinking of doing. She raised 3 children and when the youngest one graduated from high school, she went back to University and got her Ag Degree. As a mature student, she was more focused and soared to the top of her class. She says it was not even hard to do. She was fortuante to get several scholarships along the way, which helped pay for her education. When she graduated, she had many job offers, because employers knew that she was determined and doing something she wanted to do. Of course, some employers passed her by, as they wanted to hire someone who was able to spend their career with them and/or was willing to move. Regardless, she got a great job and in less than 1 year was promoted to Assistant Manager of the company she works for. She landed a job a few miles from where she lives, so she is a very happy camper.

I could moan and groan about my lot in life as I also have a degree in animal science and decided to come home and chase cows after graduating. Some would say that I wasted my education, but I would never say this. I am not saying that my education provided me with everything I needed to do what I am doing. What it did do for me, was provide me with a wonderful network of people that I can go to when I need information or help. Mostly it provided me with security in that I knew if something happened where I could no longer " chase my cows"  that I had something that I could use to open doors to other employment. That may be a monor point, but some security is important in life.

The economy is sucking swamp water right now and there may not be as many jobs out there as there once was, but this is only a temporary deal. There are still good jobs out there that pay well as well. If this is a field you want a career in, I still maintain that you should go after it even if the job market doesn't appear to be real shiny right now. This too will pass .... and you will success in finding the job that gives you happiness along with some security. If you go around thinking you will fail.... you probably will. There seems to be a lot of negative thinkers around there days ... which is something that really bothers me.

I am saying " GO FOR IT GIRL". I applaud your courage for even thinking about doing this, as many would never have the guts to do it. If this is something that feels right to you, don't listen to the people who tell you that this is a crazy idea. After all, this involves YOU and NOT THEM!  I would also say that if you do this, I predict you will do well. Have some fun along the way, do your best and the rewards will appear in places you never imagined.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I'm currently working on getting a BS in Animal Science. I'm only a sophmore but the animal science classes I have had so far have been extremely interesting. I just finished a companion animals class in the spring and it was extremely interesting.

Looking at the amount jobs pay with an animal science degree, they don't really seem too bad IMO. Of course, I was orginally going to major in art and an art major is pretty much useless. I know people who have a BS in animal science and have been very successful.

Besides, there's so much new technology in the livestock industry that it's almost nessary to learn to use it if you want to keep raising livestock in the future, IMO.

I'd say, go for it. Plus, there's a lot of scholarships for nontraditional students so it should be worth it.  ;)

Zach - most vets today specialize in small animals. Large animal vets are in demand and needed. The thing is that there's more money in small animals though.
The vet that came over here a couple months ago when one of our cows had a prolapse said he said most of his classmates in vet school only wanted to do small animals. Large animal vets keep busy too. We had to call 3 different vet offices before we found a vet who already wasn't at a farm yet that day.

cowz

I was a lucky one and was able (over the course of 20 years) to morph my humble Animal Science degree into a great career.   But is isnt always that easy.  You may have to be extremely creative and patient to find your way to the "elusive" good paying yet enjoyable position.  

The brutal truth, which always is unpopular, is that many AS positions do not pay all that well or are dead enders.  At our age, don't leave yourself in the place where you do not have options.   I DO think there are jobs out there in the animal science world that would give you good experience in marketing, promotion,etc.  These skills can always be applied to "normal" careers.  

What do I tell my own kids?  D-O-U-B-L-E  M-A-J-O-R!

knabe

my aunt started her degree in education when she was in her 40's and got 2 master's degrees and specialized in testing disabled students and still had time to work her way up the scale.  she worked way past retirement age and is one of the happiest people i know.

i've changed fields from using molecular markers to breed plants, DNA chips, conventional DNA sequencing, robotic engineering, and now medical device validation.  changing focus is now the norm.  BS degrees prove you know how to learn at some level.  MS proves you learn.  Ph.D. proves you know how to design an experiment.  of course there are exceptions to each of these generalizations.

just think, you could get a job developing markers in cattle, that's animal science!!!!!!

you could study sports medicine in horses.

you could study wildlife management for the government.

you could study policy

you could study all kinds of things in animal science.
ditto on the dbl majoring

Davis Shorthorns

I am currently a senior at KSU majoring in ASI.  My girlfriend just graduated last may and has a internship with the simmi asso.  If she wanted to stay they would offer her a job.  She has been offered a job at the Angus asso.  and also a feedlot out in western KS.  Almost every one of my friends that graduated with a ASI degree from KSU now has a job either in the field they want or went home to work on the farm (their choice) The biggest thing that you need to think about is are you willing to move???  If so the opportunities are endless, but if you aren't willing to move it is alot harder to get a job.  I say go for it.  At the very least you will learn information that will help you for the rest of your life, especially if you do decide to raise animals.