Interesting reading on the elections

Help Support Steer Planet:

redwingfarm

TJ said:
redwingfarm said:
I don't know whether he cares about ag and whether can fix all of the problems I listed but we need to remember to see the warts that come with every candidate and I think that my list is accurate of what warts could come with McCain. I was to Arlington last summer on a funeral day and it made a big impression on me.  I have been told of 50-60 a bag increase in seed corn by monsanto just because they can do it with few available other choices.  The articles in the papers blaming farmers for high prices, have a good friend who has raised hogs for over 40 years getting out because of high feed costs and packer integration.  Is McCain a senator from the great "agricultural" state of Arizona going to have a clue how to help us??

Obama will do nothing to help the farmer.  Farmers needs to look for alternatives.  Gas is high, but if you convert over to natural gas, you will reduce your transport costs & your engines will burn cleaner.  Grain is high, so you better have genetics that will work without a bunch of pampering.  Fertilizer costs are high, but organic fertilizers don't typically cost as much, and although they take longer to work, you will have a better result over time.  I'm not so sure that we don't over do fertilizer anyway in the name of max. production.  It's time to stop shooting for max production & start shooting for profit.  If you are not profitable, you need to figure out why & adjust.  It is that plain & that simple.  Waiting for Obama to help you is going to leave you awfully disappointed.

BTW, the reason Monsanto is a monopoly is because the typical farmer allowed them to become a monopoly by supporting them.  It may not happen overnight, but the farmer CAN do something to change that, if enough of them truly want to.  Most just want to complain, rather than become pro-active & they want someone else to fix the problem for them.  There are alternatives to supporting Monsanto.  It wont happen overnight, but we enough resolve, it can be done with the Govt. stepping in.  I am a small farmer, cattle producer, & I can proudly say that I am "Monsanto free".  High grain prices do not hurt my beef operation very much at all.  Also, I personally like high grain because we own 2,000+ acres of crop ground that we rent out. Our tennants are not "Monsanto free", but they have also made a wad of cash grain farming over the last 6 or so years... at least according to them, they have.  High grain is a good thing both for our crop rent & for my cattle operation.  I love it!!!      

And if you think Monsanto is monopoly & a problem, just wait until you actually get really BIG GOVERNMENT!  Talk about a monopoly... you haven't seen a true monopoly yet.      

RE the dead soliders... yes, that is what happens when you are in a hostile enviornment.  It's sad, but without a military, the world would turn into a place of mutiny in just a matter of months.  Just think how hostile it would be in Iraq IF we were not involved?  Rather than baby sitting them over in Iraq, we would likely be fighting them over here where many of our own civilians could die!  And Obama is all about immigration (importanting poverty & terrorists).  

Since you are all for freedom, equal rights, etc., I know that you wont mind me saying that Jesus Christ is Lord of all & over all.  Whoever believes in Him shall not perish.   But, I have a feeling that my beliefs & my equal right to express my opinion is not important to you.

In closing, McCain isn't perfect & neither is Palin, but I simply can not support Obama under any circumstances.
Wow, I don't know here to start
Please don't lump me in with the anti-god bunch  your beliefs and opinion have the same value as mine!!!  Just because my concerns and feelings aren't the same as yours I feel that you are very much out of line in suggesting that if I don't agree with you I'm anti Jesus, I assure you in the strongest way possible that I share a strong faith and belief in Jesus.
Now to your other points-organic farming may sound good but IT IS NOT A TRUE REALITY FOR AGRICULTURE in the US, just won't work on the large scale farms of today, sorry to disagree with you but I'm in the fert and seed business and organic is nice niche program for some people but not on the full scale farm belt
Congrats on thinking you are Monsanto free, but by taking money from renters who buy from Monsanto,you are in effect not monsanto free,  if every farmer in the US had the desire to switch tommorrow, there wouldn't be enough seed to go around, Monsanto and many other multinational companys have us working for them, not them working for us.
Also the idea of not going for maximum production is also a mirage, as every budget I work up for my customers proves that all that cutting back on inputs does is cut back on profitability.  The game in crops today is bushels, bushels, bushels
Finally I have never stated that I'm a unwavering supporter of Obama you just assumed so,  my point all along is that before we present the crown and scepter to McCain we should check to make sure he has clothes on that we can live with, and frankly I have seen where the last 4 years of Bush has led us and I don't see much difference in path that McCain indicates he want to travel

cattlejunky

While Bush has not been great, lets not forget we currently have a Democratic congress that has their heads up their butts.  Will, you are right we live in the greatest nation on Earth. I am thankful for all that I have.  I do not want to see our original values change, just our economy and some policies

Jill

Can you say Wal-Mart, Microsoft, Tyson.....it is called free enterprise, some companies are better at what they do, we choose to do business with them and they grow-it has nothing to do with the government, we gave our business to them-we did this ourselves.

Show Dad

The problem with the change being promoted this year is that it is really promoting changing back to the tax and spend philosophy of the past. And why does it sound so good now? Is there really anyone promoting the alternative?

Dems are tax and spend while Republicans are spend and spend.

You want change? Then why not cut federal spending (say limited to 12% GDP)? Term limits for all national offices (2 terms just like the pres.)? The federal government is only responsible for external & internal security and a stable currency? That the federal government is only to guarantee equal access to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (you have the equal opportunity to failure as to succeed)?

Well that guy wasn't even running because he didn't even stand a chance.

inthebarnagain

SD said:
The problem with the change being promoted this year is that it is really promoting changing back to the tax and spend philosophy of the past. And why does it sound so good now? Is there really anyone promoting the alternative?

You want change? Then why not cut federal spending (say limited to 12% GDP)? Term limits for all national offices (2 terms just like the pres.)? The federal government is only responsible for external & internal security and a stable currency? That the federal government is only to guarantee equal access to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (you have the equal opportunity to failure as to succeed)?

SD for president!!!  Were you born in this country or did the aliens drop you off? ;D

knabe

Dems are tax and deficit spend while Republicans are deficit spend, both outdoing each other each cycle, hiding the debt with unfunded liabilities, ie welfare, SS, medicare, medicaid, the war on poverty .....(domestic and worldwide)

steers4u

From Joe Vogel just a little food for thought!!

Hyperbole continues to soar in the aftermath of Sarah Palin's bold and spirited, but sadly divisive, sarcastic, Rove-recycled speech at Wednesday's Republican National Convention. The darling of Rush Limbaugh and Pat Buchannan is now being proclaimed a "star," a "game-changer," the answer to a dying party.

Yet putting political views aside, I saw very little to admire in Palin's speech. Perhaps MSNBC's Keith Olbermann's analysis (paraphrasing Abraham Lincoln) put it best: "People who like this sort of thing will find this ... the sort of thing they like." Along with the cynical screeds of failed presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Rudy Giulianni, Palin re-ignited the old slash and burn politics that have come to characterize our politics---and in the process, turned off millions of voters.

I am one of those voters. In 2000, I was one who mistakenly voted for Bush, a vote I made at the age of 19 and still regret to this day. I have since realized that most conservative rhetoric about compassion, work, and family values has become just that: empty rhetoric that has been actualized instead in the form of preemptive war, torture, a failed economy, wiretapping, corruption, and failed policies on health care, energy, education, and social security. It is a party that has consistently used wedge issues to divide America. It has taught us to distrust each other and label all those with differing views as unpatriotic. Once upon a time, John McCain seemed to offer an alternative to these far-right, Rovian tactics permeating his party. Yet sadly, his pick of Palin is only the latest in a string of concessions to the "agents of intolerance" he once condemned.

What I saw on Wednesday was eerily similar to a hate rally: words become weapons of mass distortion, truth is what you can persuade the masses to believe, everything is black and white, us versus them, rural versus urban, white collar versus blue collar, red versus blue, liberal versus conservative. It is an old and pathetic fight that a young senator from Illinois gave us hope we might transcend. He spoke of a forward-looking politics, a practical politics, a politics that empowered and united ordinary citizens in common purpose. His message has since been characterized as Utopian and naive. How dare he ask us to strive for a more perfect union, an America that attempts to live up to its ideals!

The Palins, Roves and Hannitys of the world remind us the politics of the past---of cynicism, manipulation, and fear---still have many devoted disciples and even more drones.

That was more than apparent as a rapturous Republican crowd devoured the "red meat" offered in Sarah Palin's condescending, sometimes Coulteresque diatribe. Yet for people like me, a one-time Republican watching at home, it only reminded me of the smallness and pettiness our politics has become---and how difficult it is to believe it can be different, to have hope America can be better and actually solve some of the huge challenges we face. As Barack Obama put it in his own nomination speech:

"[These petty politics have] worked before, because it feeds into the cynicism we all have about government. When Washington doesn't work, all its promises seem empty. If your hopes have been dashed again and again, then it's best to stop hoping and settle for what you already know.

"I know there are those who dismiss [the ideas of change and hope] as happy talk. They claim that our insistence on something larger, something firmer, and more honest in our public life is just a Trojan horse for higher taxes and the abandonment of traditional values.

"And that's to be expected, because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare voters.

"If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from. You make a big election about small things."

A big election about small things.

For all the breathless post game coverage Wednesday about Palin's "grand slam," that is really all she and the Republicans managed to accomplish.

knabe

From Joe Vogel just a little food for thought!!

Hyperbole continues to soar in the aftermath of Sarah Palin's bold and spirited, but sadly divisive, sarcastic, Rove-recycled speech at Wednesday's Republican National Convention. The darling of Rush Limbaugh and Pat Buchannan is now being proclaimed a "star," a "game-changer," the answer to a dying party.

Yet putting political views aside, I saw very little to admire in Palin's speech. Perhaps MSNBC's Keith Olbermann's analysis (paraphrasing Abraham Lincoln) put it best: "People who like this sort of thing will find this ... the sort of thing they like." (sounds like any obama speech too)Along with the cynical screeds of failed presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Rudy Giulianni, Palin re-ignited the old slash and burn politics that have come to characterize our politics---and in the process, turned off millions of voters.

I am one of those voters. In 2000, I was one who mistakenly voted for Bush, a vote I made at the age of 19 and still regret to this day. (i wrote myself in last time) I have since realized that most conservative rhetoric about compassion, work, and family values has become just that: empty rhetoric that has been actualized instead in the form of preemptive war, torture, a failed economy, wiretapping, corruption, and failed policies on health care, energy, education, and social security. It is a party that has consistently used wedge issues to divide America. It has taught us to distrust each other and label all those with differing views as unpatriotic. Once upon a time, John McCain seemed to offer an alternative to these far-right, Rovian tactics permeating his party. Yet sadly, his pick of Palin is only the latest in a string of concessions to the "agents of intolerance" he once condemned. can you please offer stats on the economy instead of more rovian analysis?  the WSJ just painted a favorable economy compared to many countries.

What I saw on Wednesday was eerily similar to a hate rally: words become weapons of mass distortion, truth is what you can persuade the masses to believe, everything is black and white, us versus them, rural versus urban, white collar versus blue collar, red versus blue, liberal versus conservative. It is an old and pathetic fight that a young senator from Illinois gave us hope we might transcend. He spoke of a forward-looking politics, a practical politics, a politics that empowered and united ordinary citizens in common purpose. His message has since been characterized as Utopian and naive. How dare he ask us to strive for a more perfect union, an America that attempts to live up to its ideals!  see what lincoln said.  show me some examples where obama has reached across the aisle.  he seems more intent on reaching across the ocean than across the aisle.  there is nothing wrong with being divided.  i don't like his ideas, and neither does 50% of the country.  why should we all be united?  only 30% of the population supported independence, yet we got a whole lot done and drug a lot of "uniters" along with the rest who stuck their lives on the line.  if you use your own analysis on yourself, it really is starting to become a little circular.

The Palins, Roves and Hannitys of the world remind us the politics of the past---of cynicism, manipulation, and fear---still have many devoted disciples and even more drones.  see lincoln comment

That was more than apparent as a rapturous Republican crowd devoured the "red meat" offered in Sarah Palin's condescending, sometimes Coulteresque diatribe. Yet for people like me, a one-time Republican watching at home, it only reminded me of the smallness and pettiness our politics has become---and how difficult it is to believe it can be different, to have hope America can be better and actually solve some of the huge challenges we face. As Barack Obama put it in his own nomination speech: 

"[These petty politics have] worked before, because it feeds into the cynicism we all have about government. When Washington doesn't work, all its promises seem empty. If your hopes have been dashed again and again, then it's best to stop hoping and settle for what you already know. is it possible for obama to be specific on anything in a speech?  it seems like one could transcend the rhetoric with action rather than promises.

"I know there are those who dismiss [the ideas of change and hope] as happy talk. They claim that our insistence on something larger, something firmer, and more honest in our public life is just a Trojan horse for higher taxes and the abandonment of traditional values.  i don't want to be united with MOST of obama's ideas.  with your view, i will be forced to with the slimmest of majorities if he wins.  to me, this analysis means post partisanship is nothing more than a more friendly version of stalin, lenin, mao, pot, mussolini, wilson, fdr, johnson, carter.

"And that's to be expected, because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare voters.  what's fresh about wealth redistribution?  it's the same old tired message.

"If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from. You make a big election about small things." sounds EXACTLY like borama to me.

A big election about small things.

For all the breathless post game coverage Wednesday about Palin's "grand slam," that is really all she and the Republicans managed to accomplish.

i need more than tofu to chew on, how about some specifics of cutoffs for taxes, civil service core costs, war on poverty costs, and all of borama's extensive list of programs and tax hikes.  tax everyone, not just success.

BIGTEX

Keith Olbermann is absolutely awful. If you can stomach listening to him you must be just left of Obama.

JbarL

SD said:

what we need is tax and spend " wisely"....i'm waiting for " a priority list"....what is # 1 priority..right out of the box?  for either party....from romeny thru rudy last night....all i got was a feeling that everyone was going to be in the military fighting al-quada for a living...what is there priority on re enstating the draft?.......either some one has to pay for theses wars and our debt or palin had an out of touch with a reality concern for her young family and there finical burden in there future...almost like they will never see the burden of what this 8 yrs of republican logic has left us with......the debates will bring out the truth i hope....i would like to here more about obamas 5 million jobs as well.....where i come from....it used to be the guy who had a plan to gravel and grade everyones road....keep the culvewrts and ditches clean.....and kept his promise to do it.....that was the guy to beat.....and it wasnt the rock and work...it was keepin there promise that kept things runnin.......jbarl

knabe

Hyperbole continues to soar in the aftermath of Sarah Palin's bold and spirited, but sadly divisive, sarcastic, Rove-recycled speech at Wednesday's Republican National Convention.

"You haven't heard a word about how we're going to deal with any aspect of the economy that is affecting you and your pocketbook day-to-day".   quote from obama today regarding republican speeches.

so, i distinctly remember hearing palin talk about drilling and other forms of energy.  so, it seems democrats understand supply when it comes to releasing our strategic reserve, but when it comes to increasing supply by any other means, it's off the table.

simply stating something over and over makes it true is a nazi technique.  apparently it works quite well.

it's amazing.  both sides are riding side saddle thinking that either of these parties has anything other than growing government's influence, reducing our sovereignty, redistribution of wealth.  ugh.  republicrats, demicans.

BIGTEX

I ordered the "Play at Home" kit. It was awesome. It came with a "Country First" sign and a small American Flag. I stood up every time the audience did.  <hero>

knabe

JbarL said:
all i got was a feeling that everyone was going to be in the military fighting al-quada for a living

jbarl, that has got to be one of the best quote's i've seen in a while.  the play at home kit comes in a close second.

i used to have a spreadsheet of the budget and percentages, just like i do at work for any process.

the military and most other forms of contoversial spending are WAAAAAY down the list compared to entitlements.  what was once a way to offset the loss of a husband earnings (social security) for 3 years, which was what the lifespan difference was between a man and a woman, because most women didn't work, has morphed into a massive redistribution of wealth that can last for a generation (the benefit).  sometimes i think it's funny that some complain about health care being biased towards men, when in one sense, this makes sense so that they can work longer, delaying the SS benefit to women as the man would be working.  now that the economy has changed to incoporate women, that strategy is no longer appropriate.

i can't understand the complete and total lack of outrage over entitlements.

BCCC

Ausley Family Farms said:
She was amazing. Why didn't she run for president?
It wouldnt suprize if McCain strokes over while in office and she does become president. Its kind of sad when one persons vice president(Palin)  has more experience in leader ship then the other guy that is running for president(obama).

knabe

more owhina dribble.

In a statement today following Sarah Palin’s tough speech, Obama complained that she ignored the work he did as a legislator in the Illinois and US Senates .

seems obama forgot palin's contributions as governor and belittled her experience as a mayor.  is this change?  sounds like a hypocrite to me.

i'd say the gal wiped the floor with the organizers diapers at his own game without specifically complaining about it.

simtal

if obama had the speaking skills of bush and wasn't as charismatic, he wouldn't even sniff a presidential race

His platform is the same as a high schooler running for student council president, good looks and popularity

you realize the only reason he got popular is that the IL republican party put a no name (Alan Keys) against him in the senate race a few years ago.

TJ

"Now to your other points-organic farming may sound good but IT IS NOT A TRUE REALITY FOR AGRICULTURE in the US, just won't work on the large scale farms of today, sorry to disagree with you but I'm in the fert and seed business and organic is nice niche program for some people but not on the full scale farm belt"

I never said that farmers should be certified organic, I simply said that organic fertilizer is a lot cheaper & it is.  Also, who said large scale farming was a smart thing to be doing?  Not me!   ;)  But you can make good money farming lots of acres & working for Monsanto... I know people who do it.   The point simply is this, if the farmers truly wanted to end the Monsanto monopoly they could end it.  It would take time, but it could be done.  It might even decrease their piggy bank for a few years, but it could be done.  Farmers have a choice to make & it may even cost them some money... work for Monsanto or do things differently.  Thank goodness they still have a choice.  It's that plain & simple.

"Congrats on thinking you are Monsanto free, but by taking money from renters who buy from Monsanto,you are in effect not monsanto free"

Your logic is flawed since Monsanto doesn't get a dime from me.  But, the truth is, I am not 100% free, because I do feed "some" soy hulls & I may even feed a little "show feed", but the key words are little & some.  I do not directly buy anything to support Monsanto, so yes, I am for the most part Monsanto free & yes, it can be done.  Plain & simple, Monsanto would go broke if every farmer was like me.  Our renters do support Monsanto & they pay us.  That is their choice, because this is America.   I don't buy anything directly from them and I simply do not care if they are a monopoly or not.  I honestly am not a big fan of them, but the truth is they are not hurting me & they wouldn't be hurting the typical farmer if he/she hadn't gotten sucked into their snare & then not taken any steps to get back out.  The truth hurts & that is the truth.   Bush can not be blamed for this.  

"if every farmer in the US had the desire to switch tommorrow, there wouldn't be enough seed to go around" 

I never said they could all switch tomorrow.  Actually, it may take years, but over time, it can be done, that is, if the farmers really want to.  Rome wasn't built in a day & this isn't a McDonald's drive thru... somethings take time & yet, too many Democrats expect everything to be fixed right now & they expect somebody else to fix the mess that they themselves helped make.   

BTW, what is Obama or any other elected official going to do to make this change tomorrow?  Give the all the farmers Monsanto free seed?   LOL!

"Monsanto and many other multinational companys have us working for them, not them working for us."

Communist China has people working for them too.  If you don't think Obama & his fellow democrats don't want you working for them, you are wrong.  It's called higher taxes!  Forgive me for not wanting to work for BIG Government.  I also will not work for Monsanto, but at least that is an individuals choice to make.  If Obama is elected, we wont have a choice except pay higher taxes.     

Furthermore, most Americans work for the banks & the credit card companies too.  Do you want those institions oblished too? 

The Bible says that the borrower is a slave to the lender.  If you don't allow yourself to become a borrower, you wont become a slave! 

"Also the idea of not going for maximum production is also a mirage, as every budget I work up for my customers proves that all that cutting back on inputs does is cut back on profitability.  The game in crops today is bushels, bushels, bushels"

The name of the game is PROFIT & more specifically, a living.  I know people on both extremes whose main income comes from their farm.  Those with 10,000+ acres & those with under 1,000.  Those with under 1,000 don't have newer equipment.  They don't have a lot of expense.  They don't have hired help.  They diversify.  They raise their own meat, grow a big garden, & gather their own eggs.  Some of them even milk a goat or cow.   

You may have to diversify, you may have to think differently, but max production is not the only way to make a profit.  What about a corn maze?  What about selling on Ebay?  What about getting a Real Estate Liscense (takes 2 weeks of classes/10 days & passing a test in KY)?  What about getting an insurance liscense?   What about getting any second job?  What about raising & selling produce?   What about a niche market?  What about offering a service? What about hunting leases?  What about running a camp for kids?   What about inventing a product & selling it?  What about selling show calves?  What about selling horses?  What about breaking & training horses?  Even if you are correct, that is no excuse not to try to get out of Monsanto's snare.  If you get a second income source, you will not have to worry as much about playing Monsanto's game & that is what my point was all about. 

Do I like Monsanto? not really.  But, the whole point I am trying to make is that NOBODY is forcing anybody to work for Monsanto.  It's called a choice! However, if we get BIG Govt we will not have a choice.  We will simply pay higher taxes!

"Finally I have never stated that I'm a unwavering supporter of Obama you just assumed so,  my point all along is that before we present the crown and scepter to McCain we should check to make sure he has clothes on that we can live with, and frankly I have seen where the last 4 years of Bush has led us and I don't see much difference in path that McCain indicates he want to travel"

I didn't assume anything.  Only one of 2 people will win this election, McCain or Obama.  If you don't want McCain then that means you support Obama.  I don't necessarily like McCain or agree with him 100%, but I support him because he's much better than the person he is running against. 

I'm sorry that you don't like George W. Bush, but we are MUCH, MUCH better off with him than we ever would have been with Al Gore in office!  Gore was worse than Obama.  George Bush also didn't cause 911, Katrina or Rita & that 3 events have caused a bunch of problems that Bush gets blamed for. 

And finally, the democrats are now running both the house & the senate.  Yet, they get a free pass because so many want to blame Bush for everything. 

Sorry we disagree, but we do.    ;)

knabe

simtal said:
if obama had the speaking skills of bush and wasn't as charismatic, he wouldn't even sniff a presidential race

His platform is the same as a high schooler running for student council president, good looks and popularity

you realize the only reason he got popular is that the IL republican party put a no name (Alan Keys) against him in the senate race a few years ago.

and the stupid repub before that wanted to have relations with 7 of 9 in front of other people.  what a dork.

also, for most big companies in the US, profit margins are so thin, that the only way to make a profit is by currency imbalances.  it doesn't take a genius to watch the dollar, gold, and oil to figure out that what everyone is crying about really doesn't have a big effect as those three.  anyone crying abuot the speculators now that they are losing money?  what hypocrites.  you watch the dollar lately?  been going up.  i guess that's bush's fault to.  ohhhhh, but he drove it down.  allowing such minutia to get in the way, all for the party.  both parties are busy just to be busy.  how many laws do we really need. (question mark omitted on purpose).  laws are made to generate revenue to administer them and convert yet more employees out of the private sector just to feed the echo chambers of support for government unions.

wake up.

on a further note, i view THIS as waking up.

The deals also call for Kilpatrick to turn over his state pension to the City of Detroit, which paid $8.4 million to settle two whistle-blower lawsuits three former cops filed against the city.

pension deals for elected officials are WAAAAAY to high for so little work compared to military, fire, police, teachers, pretty much everyone.  what a complete and utter joke.  congress is the worst, yet we keep voting them in.

Latest posts