Interesting reading on the elections

Help Support Steer Planet:

redwingfarm

Before we all get too giddy over McCain-Palin lets remember what we will get with them

1.   More flag draped caskets arriving back in America to heart broken families
2.  Fewer jobs as our economy crumbles under the weight of a weak dollar, and recession,  even the flags on the caskets are now being made in China-see USA Today article this week
3.   More years of foreign hatred of us as we continue to occupy Iraq
4.   Higher Fertilizer, chemical and seed prices as our dollar weakens, and the government does nothing to slow down the monopoly Monsanto
5.  Higher feed prices and the resulting higher food prices which will eventually cause the consumer to blame farmers for the woes of this country to come.
6.  Worst of all the special interest groups will continue to run this land getting fat and happy while we pay for it.

Just remember the famous saying  "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Many compare the US to the Roman empire and it is my opinion that Rome is burning and or own Nero (Bush) is just sitting idly by playing his fiddle

Which candidate offers a new approach to putting out the fire, and which one will just throw more gasoline on the flames??

simtal

redwingfarm said:
Before we all get too giddy over McCain-Palin lets remember what we will get with them

1.   More flag draped caskets arriving back in America to heart broken families
2.  Fewer jobs as our economy crumbles under the weight of a weak dollar, and recession,  even the flags on the caskets are now being made in China-see USA Today article this week
3.   More years of foreign hatred of us as we continue to occupy Iraq
4.   Higher Fertilizer, chemical and seed prices as our dollar weakens, and the government does nothing to slow down the monopoly Monsanto
5.  Higher feed prices and the resulting higher food prices which will eventually cause the consumer to blame farmers for the woes of this country to come.
6.  Worst of all the special interest groups will continue to run this land getting fat and happy while we pay for it.

Like Obama is gonna fix any of that?

You really think that snake gives a **** about US agriculture?

redwingfarm

I don't know whether he cares about ag and whether can fix all of the problems I listed but we need to remember to see the warts that come with every candidate and I think that my list is accurate of what warts could come with McCain. I was to Arlington last summer on a funeral day and it made a big impression on me.  I have been told of 50-60 a bag increase in seed corn by monsanto just because they can do it with few available other choices.  The articles in the papers blaming farmers for high prices, have a good friend who has raised hogs for over 40 years getting out because of high feed costs and packer integration.  Is McCain a senator from the great "agricultural" state of Arizona going to have a clue how to help us??

shortyjock89

Alright, yeah, McCain might not be perfect, but I'd be surprised if Obama has ever been on a farm in his life.  Just because he's from Illinois (as am I) doesn't mean he could help us (the agricultural community) at all.  He's a Chicago city boy, and I would guess that most people from Chicago can't even imagine what a real farm looks like.  Even kids from my hometown of 6000 people think that all farmers have it good....it's just frustrating when neither cantidate can really help out this nation's most important industry.

SouthWest

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=3063185&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/index.html#

Hopefully this goes through.  Seen it on Fox on the protesters in St. Paul.  It shows the intelligence level of the people protesting.  Its just to easy to whine, complain, and protest than actually educating one self on the issues.  At least know the persons involved.

SWMO

[
What do you expect, most of them are lawyers!   ;) :D

(sorry could resist)

[/quote]

Glad I'm not a lawyer.

I believe Palin hit a major home run last night wether you are a dem or republican.  And like others I now am very comfortable voting for a candidate rather than against a candidate.

And I think the news media has a huge black eye because they refuse to leave the 17 year old teenager out of the picture.  In my mind she is still a minor and deserves the privacy and respect that we all demand for our children.  As a parent I am livid for the Palin family.  Having kids and getting married is hard enough when you are an adult.  I can't imagine how difficult all this media scrutiny is for those two kids.

By the way how is Michelle Obama going to handle the task of raising small children and handle the pressures of being First Lady?  I can't see the difference.

Jill

It has been my impression that high corn is in direct correlation to the subsidized ethanol plants that McCain is against. 

knabe

Phantoosm said:
Ausley Family Farms said:
Naive and gullible! Please tell me why we are so " naive and gullible". Is it because we listen to a person who is straight forward and honest about everything she believes in. Or is it because she represents everything that SHOULD BE right and just in America?

So you believe everything a politician tells you?  That right there proves my point about Americans.  Tell them what they want to hear and they will believe it.  What makes you so sure that she is being so honest, and not telling you what your itching ears want to hear?  Geez, I guess you would believe anything wouldn't you?  I'm sure if she told you that the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus were real you would believe that also.  Not only are left winged politicians liars and crooks, even right winged politicians are liars and crooks believe it or not. 

Also another way to sucker Americans and get votes is tell them that you believe in Jesus Christ, and that you take orders straight from the throne of God.  No wonder these televangelists rip so many naive Americans off in this country. 

I realize I am in the minority here on SP, however FYI, not all of us Americans agree with your OPINION of what SHOULD BE right and just in America.  Equal rights for all human beings regardless of religion, race, sexual preference, and gender identity is what should be RIGHT and just in America.  Not some bigoted dictatorship that persecutes, alienates, and oppresses those who are different. 

"I believe everyone should be free to determine their own experience in life and not have it imposed by someone else. We don’t need our reality filtered through religious dogma any more than we need spring water adulterated with chemicals."

Pat Condell

what about human sacrifice, head hunters, brain eating societies, societies that kill women for wanting a choice for their mate, ie the taliban?

justme

Obama scares me on his experience....has he brought anything in front of congress for a new law?  Under 200 days in his seat, what experience can he bring to us?  His ads are plain pathetic too.

What Palin has done in Alaska is so impressive.  I love that she has grit and is not afraid to stand for her beliefs.  I like that I as an average American can relate to her.  I also love that McCain would rather loose the presidency than loose the war.  To many young people have lost there lives to just fold up camp and come home.  Ask a solider...most will tell you the same.  I hate war, but sometimes its necessary.

Last night Palin sealed my vote.  I cann't wait to hear more of her ideas soon.

Walker

Redwing Farm makes a very good point.  It is easy to see how Pahlin is on the ticket to appeal to us in rural America because she goes to church and hunts.  That way, they think that is what we will pay attention to and we will just forgive them when they vote against the farm bill, or when we go to the gas pump after the election and gas is over $4.  Obama gets made out to be such a bad person, but if we take him for his word, just like we are taking Pahlin for her word last night, he isn't such a bad guy.  Change may not always be good, but we'll never get anywhere if we keep doing the same thing we've always done.

SWMO

knabe said:
Phantoosm said:
Ausley Family Farms said:
Naive and gullible! Please tell me why we are so " naive and gullible". Is it because we listen to a person who is straight forward and honest about everything she believes in. Or is it because she represents everything that SHOULD BE right and just in America?

So you believe everything a politician tells you?   That right there proves my point about Americans.  Tell them what they want to hear and they will believe it.  What makes you so sure that she is being so honest, and not telling you what your itching ears want to hear?  Geez, I guess you would believe anything wouldn't you?  I'm sure if she told you that the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus were real you would believe that also.  Not only are left winged politicians liars and crooks, even right winged politicians are liars and crooks believe it or not. 

Also another way to sucker Americans and get votes is tell them that you believe in Jesus Christ, and that you take orders straight from the throne of God.  No wonder these televangelists rip so many naive Americans off in this country. 

I realize I am in the minority here on SP, however FYI, not all of us Americans agree with your OPINION of what SHOULD BE right and just in America.   Equal rights for all human beings regardless of religion, race, sexual preference, and gender identity is what should be RIGHT and just in America.  Not some bigoted dictatorship that persecutes, alienates, and oppresses those who are different. 

"I believe everyone should be free to determine their own experience in life and not have it imposed by someone else. We don’t need our reality filtered through religious dogma any more than we need spring water adulterated with chemicals."

Pat Condell

what about human sacrifice, head hunters, brain eating societies, societies that kill women for wanting a choice for their mate, ie the taliban?

I didn't realize that we were living in a dictatorship? ???  You lost me on that one.  I can't remember this country being called Venezuala, Cuba, China and a multitude of other countries that limit the freedom of speech, religion and the right to keep and bear arms.  Oh and I as a female was allowed to obtain a higher education and marry the person of my choice.  And the last time I went to vote I was allowed to cast my opinion.  Sounds like freedom to me.

knabe

redwingfarm said:

1.  More flag draped caskets arriving back in America to heart broken families
13 americans die every day from illegal aliens.  50 million have died since 1973.  40,000 die every year from car accidents.  200,000 die every year from problems in hospitals.

2.  Fewer jobs as our economy crumbles under the weight of a weak dollar, and recession,  even the flags on the caskets are now being made in China-see USA Today article this week
this is a joke.  obama wants to solve world poverty and tax you with an unstated (as usual) openended agenda.  he wants a job core the size of the military and use it as foreign policy.  he wants to destroy our energy based economy by restricting energy with a policy that won't supply it with sufficient diverse sources.

3.  More years of foreign hatred of us as we continue to occupy Iraq
mommy, how come no one loves me, i give them more foreign aid than everyone combined (45 billion for aids in africa, 25% of the UN budget, ad infinitum)

4.  Higher Fertilizer, chemical and seed prices as our dollar weakens, and the government does nothing to slow down the monopoly Monsanto
harvest the atmosphere, don't buy seeds from monsanto, start a seed company, invest in another seed company.

5.  Higher feed prices and the resulting higher food prices which will eventually cause the consumer to blame farmers for the woes of this country to come.
historically, we still have pretty cheap food.  most people are not blaming the farmer, they are blaming subsidies to commodities which can't support themselves (ethanol)

6.  Worst of all the special interest groups will continue to run this land getting fat and happy while we pay for it.
like the liberals are not full of special interest groups, come on, you can't really believe that.

Just remember the famous saying  "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
voting for communism/facism over and over is not insanity (wilson, FDR, johnson, and more weallth redistribution)

Many compare the US to the Roman empire and it is my opinion that Rome is burning and or own Nero (Bush) is just sitting idly by playing his fiddle
my opinion is that the democrats world view would like to see nothing more than a quick end to the united states.  it's pretty much verified every day.  i must admit in their motivation to being loved, republicans are guilty of this as well, ie 45 billion to africa, where's europe on that?  china? russia? africa itself?

Which candidate offers a new approach to putting out the fire, and which one will just throw more gasoline on the flames??
obama wants more taxes, more redistribution of wealth, more love from other nations rather than 50% of the citizens who won't vote for him.  to me, he's just as bad a globalist as GWB.

TJ

redwingfarm said:
I don't know whether he cares about ag and whether can fix all of the problems I listed but we need to remember to see the warts that come with every candidate and I think that my list is accurate of what warts could come with McCain. I was to Arlington last summer on a funeral day and it made a big impression on me.  I have been told of 50-60 a bag increase in seed corn by monsanto just because they can do it with few available other choices.  The articles in the papers blaming farmers for high prices, have a good friend who has raised hogs for over 40 years getting out because of high feed costs and packer integration.  Is McCain a senator from the great "agricultural" state of Arizona going to have a clue how to help us??

Obama will do nothing to help the farmer.  Farmers needs to look for alternatives & help themselves as much as they can.  Gas is high, but if you convert over to natural gas, you will reduce your transport costs & your engines will burn cleaner.  Grain is high, so you better have genetics that will work without a bunch of pampering.  Fertilizer costs are high, but organic fertilizers don't typically cost as much, and although they take longer to work, you will have a better result over time.  I'm not so sure that we don't over do fertilizer anyway in the name of max production.  It's past time to stop shooting for max production & start shooting for profit.  If you are not profitable, you need to figure out why & adjust.  It is that plain & that simple.  Waiting for Obama to help you is going to leave you awfully disappointed.

BTW, the reason Monsanto is a monopoly is because the typical farmer allowed them to become a monopoly by supporting them.  It may not happen overnight, but the farmer CAN do something to change that, if enough of them truly want to.  Most just want to complain, rather than become pro-active & they want someone else to fix the problem for them.  There are alternatives to supporting Monsanto.  It wont happen overnight, but with enough resolve, it can be done without the Govt. stepping in.  I am a small farmer, cattle producer, & I can proudly say that I am "Monsanto free".  High grain prices do not hurt my beef operation very much at all.  Also, I personally like high grain because we own 2,000+ acres of crop ground that we rent out. Our tennants are not "Monsanto free", but they have also made a wad of cash grain farming over the last 6 or so years... at least according to them, they have.  High grain is a good thing both for our crop rent & for my cattle operation.  I love it!!!      

And if you think Monsanto is monopoly & a problem, just wait until you actually get really BIG GOVERNMENT!  Talk about a monopoly... you haven't seen a true monopoly yet.      

RE the dead soliders... yes, that is what happens when you are in a hostile enviornment.  It's sad, but without a military, the world would turn into a place of mutiny in just a matter of months.  Just think how hostile it would be in Iraq IF we were not involved?  Rather than baby sitting them over in Iraq, we would likely be fighting them over here where many of our own civilians could die!  And Obama is all about immigration (importanting poverty & terrorists).  

Since you are all for freedom, equal rights, etc., I know that you wont mind me saying that Jesus Christ is Lord of all & over all.  Whoever believes in Him shall not perish.   But, I have a feeling that my beliefs & my equal right to express my opinion is not important to you.

In closing, McCain isn't perfect & neither is Palin, but I simply can not support Obama under any circumstances.  Higher taxes, bigger govt, estate taxes, preventing us from using our natural resources, etc., is not going to help the farmer at all!!  If you are a farmer, you would be much better off voting for McCain, IMHO & it's not even close. 

knabe

redwingfarm said:
The articles in the papers blaming farmers for high prices, have a good friend who has raised hogs for over 40 years getting out because of high feed costs and packer integration. 

the papers, media, hates farmers, because they are generally independent.  the media's job is to make people dependent.  this is not the public blaming farmers.  90% of the media donates exclusively to the democratic party.  they are the party of social services.

it is my view that commodity subsidies are something farmers should move to minimize as policy.  it inflates land values which, at first glance seems nice, but in the end, it creates too high of a hurdle for new farmers.  our system of government was setup to encourage a balance of ownership turnover from generation to generation, and to minimze the failures of the system in england.

Jill

TJ said:
In closing, McCain isn't perfect & neither is Palin, but I simply can not support Obama under any circumstances.

No canidate is ever perfect, but I will NEVER vote for someone in either party that doesn't respect our flag regardless of what else they have to offer, Obama fails in the very basic IMO.

cowz

I had to watch and listen to Sarah Palin's speech last night.  I loved the simplicity, lack of bureau-speak, and her "in your face style".

Sounds like she has something to add to McCain.

TJ

cowz said:
I had to watch and listen to Sarah Palin's speech last night.  I loved the simplicity, lack of bureau-speak, and her "in your face style".

After listening to her last night, I am not so sure that she shouldn't be running for president.  Time will tell, but she seems to be a MUCH better alternative than Obama and even a better alternative than McCain. 

cattlejunky

Walker said:
Redwing Farm makes a very good point.  It is easy to see how Pahlin is on the ticket to appeal to us in rural America because she goes to church and hunts.  That way, they think that is what we will pay attention to and we will just forgive them when they vote against the farm bill, or when we go to the gas pump after the election and gas is over $4.  Obama gets made out to be such a bad person, but if we take him for his word, just like we are taking Pahlin for her word last night, he isn't such a bad guy.  Change may not always be good, but we'll never get anywhere if we keep doing the same thing we've always done.

Palin doesn't appeal to me because she goes to church and hunts.  She appeals to me and I am sure to others, because she is smart, savy, and down to earth.  If Mccain and Palin are eleceted I think you will see alot of change for the better.  I think McCain/Palin scare the heck out of Washington.  We watched the speech on PBS.  After Palin was done she left one of the commentators speechless.  He was blown away.  I think that is rare.  If Obama/Biden are elected we will see change for the worse.  Obama can talk the talk, but he does not have anything to back it up.  

cattlejunky

TJ said:
cowz said:

After listening to her last night, I am not so sure that she shouldn't be running for president.  Time will tell, but she seems to be a MUCH better alternative than Obama and even a better alternative than McCain. 

I totally agree with that statement TJ.  I think she would make one heck of a President, but vice will do for now!

Will

I guess I have a little differant opinion about our country than most.  I find it amazing that as Americans we want to dramatically change this country.  I feel we live in the greatest country in the world.  I do not know of very many people that went Hungary last night or had to worry were they were going to sleep. I will admit that hunger and poverty exist in our country and we should help those in need, but in this country with hard work you can raise your standard of living.  We live in one of the few countries were we have enough ex spendable income to purchase useless gadgets and show steers.   I truly believe Christ has blessed this country.  I feel like the only changes we need to make, is to make sure we do not forget about those blessings.  I would love for some of the people who seem to hate their own country and want to change it could go and spend time in some other countries.  It would be an eye opening experience.