Is anyone Planning a Get Together in Denver this Year?

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakbar

I'll be there from Sat afternoon the 17th through Monday afternoon the 19th and I'm bringing a whole busload of Iowa cattle foks with me.  We'll  be at the 11:00 a.m performance of the rodeo on Saturday and then cruising the grounds looking for cattle.  I'll probably head down to the Bull displays around mid afternoon so I'll try to stop by the Pfizer trailer then.  If you see a grisly old guy in an Oakbar hat or jacket it's probably me.    Sometimes, I get so busy looking at cattle that I don' t always notice who else is around ,so, don't be shy----step up and introduce yourself.

Look forward to seeing all the SP folks in the "Mile High" city!!

Lynn

P.S.    There is one other place I can somtimes be found--usually after I've been at a show for quite a while you might see me like this!!

Attachments

• Sleeping at the show.JPG
    Sleeping at the show.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 550

farwest

10 pm. to 2 a.m is more when i would be interested in meeting at shotgun willies aj.  I was wondering, do those gals work under union agreements.

Doc

aj said:
Is there going to be a sale on the hill for Shorthorns?

Not this year. I know Shortdawg was going to consign some embryo's & Cagwin called him & said the sale was off. Told him he could consign them to the Polled Congress.

cowz

Ok, how aboutSATURDAY, JANUARY 17TH AT 2PM MOUNTAIN TIME?    AT THE BACK ROOM OF THE PFIZER TRAILER?  IN THE YARDS, JUST WEST OF THE RR UNDERPASS

Davis Shorthorns

Doc said:
aj said:

Not this year. I know Shortdawg was going to consign some embryo's & Cagwin called him & said the sale was off. Told him he could consign them to the Polled Congress.

What happened to the sale????

aj

When are Red  Angus events? I couldn't find them in the Red Angus Journal. Its kinda funny....like the Shorthorn Country is strictly showring stuff front front to back and the Red Angus journal is Industry articles from front to back.

Doc

Davis Shorthorns said:
Doc said:
aj said:

What happened to the sale????

Couldn't get enough consignments. It's tough to get them out there

M Bar

No aj.  In my humble opinion, it is a function of quite a few issues.

1.  Most all breeders live and die by selling junior heifer projects, and most buyers have their calves for the year, so there is little interest in heifer calves.
2.  It's not the national show, so numbers are always down for breeders east of the Mississippi river, since they won't come to Denver if it's not the National show.  They are usually the ones who spend money at sales, since they have a greater amount of breeders in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois than most other states combined.  If they're not in the seats at a sale, it's hard to get bids from the air.
3.  Many more breeders are taking bulls to the yards, and therefore selling bulls on the hill doesn't attract enough buyers.
4.  Bred heifers are too close to calving, so the travel and sell is a little tough in January.
5.  Fewer breeders are looking for animals at consignment sales, unless you bring something that is different in genetics.  Most sales this fall had about 3 to 5 sires represented, and around 8 to 10 dams represented in the fashion of ET calves.  How many more sales can the shorthorn breed have that are Trump based on the top side of the pedigree and Rodeo Drive on the bottom side of the pedigree?

This is strictly my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

cowz

klintdog said:
I'll be down from the 7th to the 12th.

If we want to try the same thing on Sat. Jan 10th, we can!  Any takers?

klintdog

cowz said:
klintdog said:
I'll be down from the 7th to the 12th.

If we want to try the same thing on Sat. Jan 10th, we can!   Any takers?

Will there be enough of a crowd? I'll have to check our convention schedule. I'll be bouncing between the convention for meetings and taking care of cattle on the hill...so we'll see hwo it looks.

Dusty

farwest said:
10 pm. to 2 a.m is more when i would be interested in meeting at shotgun willies aj.   I was wondering, do those gals work under union agreements.

I'm not familiar with this "shotgun willies" establishment???  I'm just not comfortable in a "morally casual" atmosphere..... :)

cowz

Dusty said:
farwest said:
10 pm. to 2 a.m is more when i would be interested in meeting at shotgun willies aj.   I was wondering, do those gals work under union agreements.

I'm not familiar with this "shotgun willies" establishment???  I'm just not comfortable in a "morally casual" atmosphere..... :)

aj will have to arrange his own "field trip" to shotgun willies.....to clarify....there are no shooting sports.....or Willie Nelson.....and I am very sure they do not sing "Kum byyah" there.