Kentucky Derby

Help Support Steer Planet:

garett

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&sitesearch=&safe=active&q=Eight+Bells+Kentucky+Derby[flash=200,200][/flash]

Here is a Tribute to her-it partially shows her legs going down

renegade

IDK if I agree with ET but the throughbred industry does not allow you to register an AI foal.  Did you watch the today show?

Dusty

Show Heifer said:
Have ya ever thought "why it is always the "great ones" that get injured"???? Could it be they are the ones that are pushed the hardest. Before they are ready. Before they are mature enough to handle it. It is like asking a 10-12 year old boy to run a 1:15 mile, a 8 sec 100 yrd, and a marathon in under 5 hours. Can you image the human rights riot that would insue?  Compare to the "baby body builder" that his father gave him steriods and made him lift weights and compete. That made news for a month!

It's not the great ones that always get injured, those are just the ones we hear about.  Some horse that goes down in a $5000 claiming race on a friday afternoon isn't big news.  A horse going down in one of the triple crown races is.

Changing things to satisfy PETA is just like negotiating with terrorists.   The minute we change our practices because PETA is lobbying for it, we open the door for them.  Changing to satisfy them is what gives them their power.  If everyone would just give them the finger when they complained, they would eventually go away because their donors wouldn't donate money to an organization that doesn't have influence. But, as long as people think they need to make them happy they will still have influence.

kanshow

PETA has so many faces, you really have to watch.  They prey on unsuspecting kind hearted people who - if they knew the real agenda of Peta, would never affiliate with them. 

knabe

i was talking with this a little with my wife and she mentioned that even though she is for the horse slaughter, it's with a catch.  there should only be so many.  with 12,000 thorougbreds bred each year, 700 go down with injuries, that's a 6% clip, and probably with the euthanasia drug, which means i think they can't be buried in some states due to ground water contamination, and they probably can't be eaten either.  with 6000 males, and 6000 females, one can subtract quite quickly, the number of horses that either need to be euthanized, or "rescued" each year, along with the governments abuse of horses, the horse slaughter is actually quite humane.  why shouldnt' there be a dual use for a protein source?  why are the choicers always eliminating choice?  i talked about this with my wife as well, and that since 1973, 50,000,000 humans have been killed.  she said most of them were because there were accidents and condoms didn't work or some other factor.  i asked her to produce those statistics and she got defensive, end of topic.  i'm still amazed that choice is always arbitrary.  i'd bet that a large number of PETA people are for birth control and abortion.  this to me is their "weakness", logic, and hypocrosy, as usual. 

kanshow

i'd bet that a large number of PETA people are for birth control and abortion.  this to me is their "weakness", logic, and hypocrosy, as usual. 
  I bet you are right. 

cowz

showcattlegal said:
PETA, is calling racing as bad as dog fighting. The vet and trainer both said that they have never seen anything like it after the race.

PETA would outlaw goldfish bowls if they could!  Do you know they even have a site called PETA kids.  No wonder the price of soybeans is up!!!  (Think tofu....lots of it!)

knabe

soybeans is fed to chinese prisoners to moderate testosterone.  would be interesting to see an actual feeding and measuring trial.  i'm assuming you can't get rhino horn in prison.

Barrel Racer

OH Breeder said:
Do you think they would have cloned her? They say clones are registerable but what about their offspring. They mentioned she was the largest horse inthe race as well as a large filly. It seems odd the horse industry doesn't clone as quickly as the cattle industry. Just a thought.

As far as I know clones are not elgible for registration and neither are offspring, at least you can't in QH and I'm assuming the Jockey Club will not allow it either.  All breedings are supposed to be live cover for them, you can't even AI.  AQHA just approved the ET registration guidelines as well as freezing semen.  You can now freeze semen but you have to pay them something like $50 per dose you freeze.  I'd say the reason not much is cloned right now because the costs are so high right now for horses (150K), now I know that for the TB industry that's less than a stud fee.  I also think that it's not as successful, believe me the moon, stars and planets have to align for a horse to get pregnant lol! 

I can't stand PETA, they are after the eventing world too, I guess three horses were put down at Rolex, so now they are making new rules about limiting the events you can enter if your horse stumbles after a jump to appease them.  I think that another reason we're seeing more injuries (aside from it being on tv and highly publicized) is that people don't breed for soundness, they breed for speed.  A lot of disciplines are guilty of it (cutting world comes to mind).  My mare is gdaughter of Fols Native (goes back to Native Dancer), she has soundess problems, but it's a stretch to say that's where it comes from I think.  I'll be dealing with all this next summer as Turbo is going to the track.  Honestly that's racing...my horse could do the same thing running barrels or running and tripping in the pasture...JMO

cowz

knabe said:
soybeans is fed to chinese prisoners to moderate testosterone.  would be interesting to see an actual feeding and measuring trial.  i'm assuming you can't get rhino horn in prison.

Maybe they will let a few out since they are now rationing rice.   Knabe, do you realize that we just hijacked this thread?  Shame on us!   Now back to horse racing!!!

knabe

db cooper to the rescue.

one thing about the race that was exciting was a perfect lead change just at the home stretch.  you didn't really see a turnover rate until about the fourth stride.  it seemed his stride was optimized at the speed he was going, which in past races, some horses are able to poor it on a little better, but if he was kicked in a little better earlier, say, what is possible at the belmont, and with a few 7/8 horses in there, that could be one fast horse.  he may meet a spoiler at the preakness cuz it's shorter.

RSC

It was long aftter the race that they recieved word from the vet that she had been put down.  Do owners sign a release form that allows track vet's the right to do what they think is necessary withought aproval from the owners? 

RSC

showcattlegal

at the track the vets can put them down if they feel like they can't or shouldn't be saved. they put her down before the trainer got to her because she was hurt so bad.

showcattlegal

If the vet thinks the horse is bad enough then they will do it without the owners ok. But if theres a chance of being saved then they have to wait.

justme

I watched an interview with the track vet and her trainer, She was put down immediatly before owners or trainer could even be consulted.  Vet said he's never seen such an incident in his career.  He seemed to think after watching the video she transfered all her weight on the one leg and it was a freak accident.  Such a shame. (angel)

Show Heifer

peta is after the jockey,trainer, and owner becuase "in their opinion" the filly was injured BEFORE the race, and "well, maybe during the race injured one " and the jockey didn't pull her up and stop.

And animal ag has already bowed to peta....just look at the gestation stalls, veal calves, environmental regs, and dog and horse "laws", peta has passed in the last 10 years. Your right, it is time to push back, but who is willing to do it? One voice doesn't get too far unless someone or a lot of someones have the guts to stand up with them.
That being said, we should care for our animals that are in our care to the best of our abilities. No excuses. And those that don't should be punished SEVERELY.
I whole-hearedly agree that 8 Belles should have been immediately euthanized.

showgirl2010

I agree also with you Show Girl.  She should not have to suffer and wait until someone approved because BOTH front ankles were broken so there was nothing for her to stand on so they could work on her. 

Jamie

knabe

ok enough sobbing.

who is going to win the preakness?

has big brown got enough to go downtown?