Kentucky Derby

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

renegade said:
Sorry I took you the wrong way but this is the internet and things dont always come across as meant  :(.  By treated well I dont mean how they are taken care of ( believe me i know the millions spent on champions in the horse world every year) I mean why shouldnt they be sean as more than an investment?  They are living, breathing animals that crave affection and attention.  As far as the cattle go I meant dont you spend time with them? Im sure you dont just throw a halter on a calf the day you take it to the ring, im sure you have spent hours with it in preperation. 

I dont feel I have a cynical out look on life cause this is what it means and I typically dont feel this way......

cyn·i·cal (sn-kl)
1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others: a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness: a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.

No, I said the older you get the more cynical you get, Knabe and I are the same age and we are both what I would consider cynical (see #1 or 3) I'm guessing I am a lot older than you.

Dusty

Jill said:
renegade said:
Sorry I took you the wrong way but this is the internet and things dont always come across as meant  :(.  By treated well I dont mean how they are taken care of ( believe me i know the millions spent on champions in the horse world every year) I mean why shouldnt they be sean as more than an investment?  They are living, breathing animals that crave affection and attention.  As far as the cattle go I meant dont you spend time with them? Im sure you dont just throw a halter on a calf the day you take it to the ring, im sure you have spent hours with it in preperation. 

I dont feel I have a cynical out look on life cause this is what it means and I typically dont feel this way......

cyn·i·cal (sn-kl)
1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others: a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness: a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.

No, I said the older you get the more cynical you get, Knabe and I are the same age and we are both what I would consider cynical (see #1 or 3) I'm guessing I am a lot older than you.

Well, i am younger than both you and Knabe and I think I'm probably the most cynical person on this board...  Or, maybe I'm just a jerk???

Rustynail

Ok settle down.  Back to the race.  Big Brown will win the Precness.  (terrible speller).  It is always the easiest of the three.  The real contenders will go to New York, rest, and wait for Big Brown at the Belmont.  The whole thing is set up so that it is almost impossible to win all three in the present time.  They have moved the races to close together.  And the fact that horses skip the Precness makes it hard for any horse to run three times, in sepereate states,  with a distance increase at each one, over a short period of time and beat the great horses that skip the second leg.  I haven't thought it could be done until this year, but Big Brown may be the "Great One" we've all been waiting for.  Like I said he will win the Precness, but we will see if he can become a legend in the Belmont.

simtal

Apparently, I mispoke on eight belles running the KY oaks.  I was going off what my mom said.  Once again, she doesn't know what shes talking about. ;)

showgirl2010

Rustynail said:
Ok settle down.  Back to the race.  Big Brown will win the Precness.  (terrible speller).  It is always the easiest of the three.  The real contenders will go to New York, rest, and wait for Big Brown at the Belmont.  The whole thing is set up so that it is almost impossible to win all three in the present time.  They have moved the races to close together.  And the fact that horses skip the Precness makes it hard for any horse to run three times, in sepereate states,  with a distance increase at each one, over a short period of time and beat the great horses that skip the second leg.  I haven't thought it could be done until this year, but Big Brown may be the "Great One" we've all been waiting for.  Like I said he will win the Precness, but we will see if he can become a legend in the Belmont.

I knew that the races got longer, but i never put into consideration how close the races are together.  I think Big Brown has it in him though, if they get the feet thing worked out.

simtal, my mom gets things jumbled up too, but no matter what i just correct her politely and go on.

Jamie

renegade

Oh, I see what you were saying  :))).

Im not saying that at all OFS!  Im not saying anything against slaughtering a cow if its not makeing money and im not saying you should bond with them like they are a dog or anything like that.  Im just saying that you do give them attention and you treat them like an animal - you spend time with them. A lot of what i said was taken out of context/twisted.

Is is just a mom thing  :D my mom does that too (lol) but we still love them.

showgirl2010

Is there anything I can do about the whole horse slaughter deal because it is driving me insane. I am watching some of my friends fall into debt because horse trading was there life.  What are ya'all doing about it?  I mean it is already hitting the cattle industry so we gotta stand up for each other.

Ya still love my momma.

Jamie

Show Heifer

What Renegade...things "said' on this board being taken out of context??? NEVER. Things misunderstood on SP....NEVER.
Things taken and twisted to fit another meaning.....NEVER.....

(But, I'm right beside ya on this. Things are OFTEN taken and twisted out of context on here.)

And showgirl...peta is a pro at the "divide and conquer" war tactic. Attack the swine industry and get them defeated. Then attack the horse industry and defeat them. Attack the fur industry and defeat them. Attack the pet industry and defeat them. Then, there will be no one left to fight except for the "head in the sand" cattle industry of which no one is left to help them  and down they go. Ingenius really.

olsun

This has been and still is a very interesting topic. I have been a horse lover and sometimes horse trader for nearly 40 years, and I  hardly know where to start. I do know that I can not make sense to the peta people or their mentality. I can argue that a horse is an animal, just as are hogs, sheep and cattle. I believe that it is the romance of the settlers and the old west, that sets the horse apart. I understand that , and I respect that thought, however itstill comes back to the fact that horses are animals that are often human food in some countries such as Canada. I have yet to eat a horse, but that doesn't make it wrong. Renegade made the comment that we should not cause hurt on a healthy, happy, or useful animal. I believe that to be true. It is in most cases the term useful that causes most horse slaughter. Horses that serve their owners with a useful purpose are not often slaughtered. That being said, I have learned that horses from the U.S. are being slaughtered in Mexico. Horse meat is at an all time high overseas, and we are letting the Mexicans make a ton of money from us stupid horse people. I guess I would have to ask, Which is more humane, quick slaughter or a lingering death due to misstreatment because horse owners cannot afford feed for their horses that are no longer usefull? Just to finish this with a thought that is more on topic, I will say that race horses are seldom treated badly. The trainers and handlers love these animals, or they would surely find  another line of work. Thanks for allowing me to vent, I'm a crabby old man.

knabe

i wonder what PETA thinks of peter singer, the chair of ethics at princeton university.  he believes you aren't "human" till about 2 years of age, and therefore, no guilt is required to harvest them for organs or whatever you want.

Singer holds that the right to physical integrity is grounded in a being's ability to suffer, and the right to life is grounded in the ability to plan and anticipate one's future.

Question: What about parents conceiving and giving birth to a child specifically to kill him, take his organs and transplant them into their ill older children? Singer: "It's difficult to warm to parents who can take such a detached view, (but) they're not doing something really wrong in itself." Is anything wrong with a society in which children are bred for spare parts on a massive scale? "No."

this guy is teaching someone's kids.

Dusty

Show Heifer said:
Remember your "no sobbing" rule when you lose that c-note!!!
I don't think he can do it....but then again, I was rooting for 8 Belles in the Derby!!
And I certainly don't think he can do the triple. I guess we will see in a few weeks!

:)

Show Heifer

He has got another LONG race to run before you celebrate too much!!!
10 other horses in the last 20-ish years has made it this far...this is no big, huge accomplishment....
We will see....we will see....

showgirl2010

Show Heifer said:
He has got another LONG race to run before you celebrate too much!!!
10 other horses in the last 20-ish years has made it this far...this is no big, huge accomplishment....
We will see....we will see....

Yes, we shall see, but why all the negativity.  Be positive and be happy!  Ya gotta admit that the lengths that big brown has won with, is amazing.

Jamie

linnettejane

knabe said:
Question: What about parents conceiving and giving birth to a child specifically to kill him, take his organs and transplant them into their ill older children? Singer: "It's difficult to warm to parents who can take such a detached view, (but) they're not doing something really wrong in itself." Is anything wrong with a society in which children are bred for spare parts on a massive scale? "No."

this guy is teaching someone's kids.

this just makes me want to throw up! 

linnettejane

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I know that we've gone over this before, but......being cynical is the safest way to live.  If you don't expect much good from people, you won't be too disappointed when they are selfish or base. 

i am going to have to respectfully disagree with this statement.....not expecting much good from people is why our society is the way it is today!  we have lowered our standards as a whole as a  society and in turn have given Satan the upper hand!  by not expecting good from people, you are giving them the green light to be "bad, " or selfish or bias....to me...the statement should read....being cynical is the most dangerous way to live....people are more cynical than ever and our world is more dangerous than ever....i see the correlation........................ :eek:

oakbar

Big Brown's wins have been really impressive--especially the way he leaves the others in the dust when he puts on the afterburners in the stretch.  I'll bet the overhead shot of him coming out of the turn and then just blowing away from the field will become a classic. 

Not to throw mud at him, but did you notice they don't talk about the actual time of the races very much.  His winning time in the Derby wouldn't  put him in the top ten fastest derbies and the track was in pretty good shape.  I didn't hear what the Preakness time was but it would be interesting to know how that stands up as well.  I think the track was considered fast.  I guess what I'm saying is I don't know if the level of competition is there for him this year.  Its certainly nothing like Affirmed and Alydar extremely close races.  Having said that maybe with a little tougher competition, he'd be breaking all the records, who knows!!   

He's a heck of a horse and it sure has been fun watching him win like he does.  I hope he can pull off the triple crown.

Simmymom1

<party>      Go Big Brown!! - I loved  the Preakness on Saturday.  I tell you it takes a special kind of race horse to be held back a little like he was before the turn and then to ask for another gear and give it a 110% like he did.  The jockey didn't even put the whip to him, they said they wanted to save as much for the Belmont Stakes as they could in 3 weeks, they want to try and keep him fresh.  So no, I don't think he was running as fast as he could, and I agree he has no competition.  That is one special horse.   (angel)