Kentucky Derby

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

knabe said:
ok enough sobbing.

who is going to win the preakness?

has big brown got enough to go downtown?

well said...

I don't know how any other horse can be considered the favorite to beat Big Brown.  He has won convincingly in every race he's been in.  I'm anxious to see the odds, but I might just throw a c-note on him.

Show Heifer

Remember your "no sobbing" rule when you lose that c-note!!!
I don't think he can do it....but then again, I was rooting for 8 Belles in the Derby!!
And I certainly don't think he can do the triple. I guess we will see in a few weeks!

renegade

Oh no I agree with her euthanization.  She probably was at least a little weak in the front ankles before the race.  I think if big browns feet will stand it he could win the t.c.

showcattlegal

He can do it. The Preakness for sure, and the Belmont unless something happens to him too. His times are faster then Barbero's in the races coming into the triple crown. I haven't seen anything that could even catch up to him. Eight belles was closer then anybody else and look what happend to her.

simtal

While the euthanizing of this horse is tragic and something no one would wish on the owners, IMO the owners of eight belles deserve what they got, a dead horse.  They raced that horse in the Kentucky Oaks the previous day,  why race her in the derby. You play with fire, you get burnt.  Thats blunt, but the truth. 

Its really bad that peta has found a avenue to continue their hidden agenda of vegetarianism.  As previously mentioned, they are a terrorist organization,& could care least about animal welfare!

renegade

I was wondering if she was the one they raced in the oaks but hadnt looked it up yet.  That was just a dumb, stupid and ridiculous move. Do one or the other  :mad:.  Thats what i mean by owners feeling the animals are an investment - lets see if she can hold up and if not its more or less an insurence check. 

This is off topic but i heard peta will pay 1,000,000 to anyone who can make meat in a lab

shortyisqueen

It was actually Proud Spell that ran in the Kentucky Oaks, same trainers different horse. Eight Belles wasn't raced in the Oaks at all - that WOULD be silly!

justintime

This may have been a freak accident at the Derby, in regards to Eight Bells, but do you thi nk that the entire race horse fraternity has to take some of the blame? Seems to me that horse breeders are trying to breed refinement into these horses, and selecting for other traits that may lead to faster running horses. We have all heard stories of some of the legendary race horses having enlarged hearts, which meant they had more blood circulation, and this assisted them to run faster for longer periods of time. I would not doubt that many of the best race horses today have the same traits.

On a Sports Talk Show a few nights ago, they were talking about this topic and they had a  respected vertinarian who had spent his career working with some of the best race horses, as a guest on this show. He said that he is getting concerned about how far race horse breeders are going in the selective breeding practices for speed alone. He said that structural soundness is being forsaken for refinement and speed. He also said that in human terms some of these horses could be compared to a human putting all their weight on their index finger. I think he may have been exaggerating to make a point. Kinda reminded me of some of the selective practices in some parts of the clubby world, in persuit of the perfect show steer.

kanshow

In my opinion - I think it was one of those freak accidents - the interviews I've seen say they've never seen anything like it.  Maybe if she had been a Clydesdale she wouldn't have broken both legs but then she wouldn't have been 2nd in the Kentucky Derby.    These animals are horses and anyone who has been around horses knows things happen.      They are fragile and they are flighty.     

SWMO

What do you think that UPS paid for the ball cap and the logo on the leg of the Jockey.  Smart marketing move if he wins the Triple Crown.

knabe

renegade said:
This is off topic but i heard peta will pay 1,000,000 to anyone who can make meat in a lab

. He also said that in human terms some of these horses could be compared to a human putting all their weight on their index finger.

i wonder if it will have the tenderness genes.  just goes to show how much money they have.  i'm sure that not one of them will actually eat it on a regular basis.  afterall, some rights group will pop up for bacteria.

the finger thing is true.

i weigh ~200, index finger, 1/2 "
horse ~1300 horse ankle about 3.25"  i actually did a ratio a proportion to get those numbers, but it's roughly correct.  granted, there's four feet, but in a lope, they leave from one foot only.  then if you land wrong on one, you come down hard on the other one.  i've seen some really bad feet on clydesdales, lippizaners, and especally friesians for some reason.  a while ago, paints used to have really huge feet.

Jill

renegade said:
that's what i mean by owners feeling the animals are an investment - lets see if she can hold up and if not its more or less an insurence check. 

You are obviously young and idealistic, whether you like it or not these animals are NOT pets.  Race horses are an investment, nothing more, nothing less, they are there to make money and if they don't they are a poor investment, this is not an emotional game, it is a business!

knabe

i want to see a pet rock race.  the losers get the sledgehammer.

i want to see a plant growing race.  the loser gets eaten.

i want to see an ant race, the loser gets squished.

if guilt and idealism weren't such strong motivators, people wouldn't use them.  it took me about 47 years to figure this out.  it's amazing how much people feel motivated to monitor other people's lives.

at what point will it drift the other way?

showcattlegal

They didn't race her in the oaks. The trainer had another filly in that race it wasn't even the same color. Plus the Track people wouldn't have don't that anyway

Rustynail

She was entered into the Oaks and The derby.  They  didn't decide which to run her in until the last minute.

renegade

Jill said:
renegade said:
that's what i mean by owners feeling the animals are an investment - lets see if she can hold up and if not its more or less an insurence check. 

You are obviously young and idealistic, whether you like it or not these animals are NOT pets.  Race horses are an investment, nothing more, nothing less, they are there to make money and if they don't they are a poor investment, this is not an emotional game, it is a business!

Jill, I never actually said they are pets :-\.  Does the fact that they are " just an investment" mean they shouldnt be treated well or have any affection shown toward them?  Almost everything we do can be seen as an investment.  A kids college is an investment, your cattle are an investment, ect. I may be taking it wrong but by calling me "young and idealistic" it seems like an insult and almost like ... um, ur dumb. I dont see racing as an emotional game (btw didnt you see all of the emotion at the derby alone?????). It is a business that started out as one man showing pride in his animal and wanting to prove to another man he had bred the superior, faster horse.  Why cant a race horse be more than an investment?  To some owners they are a living breathing animal and then they are a dollar sign to others (obviosly you can empathize with these people). Sorry, I cant and you want to know what happens to most of the horses that are a "poor investment" they are trashed and sent to slaughter.  I know "god here she goes again" but I dont see any reason to send a healthy, happy, usefull horse to a horrid death  :(.   

Jill

Didn't mean to imply that you were dumb at all, most people with age I guess just have a little more cynical view of life, sorry if you misunderstood.

I may be totally off base here, but I would say most top end race horses are treated better than many people's children, most are also never seen by the owners. Most race horses are strictly an investment for the owners, that's just a fact of life, they have a stable hand, trainer, and a whole list of others on staff that are responsible for the care of said horse and if I had a potential of millions in an investment you can bet they are getting the best of care. 
As you stated, my cattle are an investment you are correct, and when they don't perform they are sent to slaughter, what do you do with yours?

renegade

Sorry I took you the wrong way but this is the internet and things dont always come across as meant  :(.  By treated well I dont mean how they are taken care of ( believe me i know the millions spent on champions in the horse world every year) I mean why shouldnt they be sean as more than an investment?  They are living, breathing animals that crave affection and attention.  As far as the cattle go I meant dont you spend time with them? Im sure you dont just throw a halter on a calf the day you take it to the ring, im sure you have spent hours with it in preperation. 

I dont feel I have a cynical out look on life cause this is what it means and I typically dont feel this way......

cyn·i·cal (sn-kl)
1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others: a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness: a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.

shortyjock89

I know that we've gone over this before, but......being cynical is the safest way to live.  If you don't expect much good from people, you won't be too disappointed when they are selfish or base.  Why would race horses be seen as anything else other than an investment?  Is not the point of the racing to make money?  The stakes, the purse, the crazy money spent on care and training.....it's not all so that the owner can get a pat on the back and the horse gets a treat and put out to pasture.  Believe me, I like my cows, but if they're not making money, they're goin down the road.  Spending time with the calves does build a certain bond between me and the calves, but I've learned (especially with steers or sale calves) that you can't get TOO attached.  All that preparation is NOT so that I have a nice pasture ornament or a cow that will knock me down if it sees me with a five gallon bucket, it's to win, and to sell the calves at a higher price.  I definitely respect Renegade if she is satisfied with her efforts if no fruits are yielded of her labor, but I can't operate that way.  I have to pay for college and all sorts of other things some how. 

Latest posts