Kinnebar Leader 9th (Shorty people)

Help Support Steer Planet:

sjcattleco

Finished it!!! it was very very complex!!! I would be a fun task to undertake if you had the abliity to observe very large groups of cows on an individual basis.... I plan to try and evaluate a select group of cows and determine which cows are what class... I will also try to compare cow families and try to see any similarities..  I am also looking foreward to talking to Gearld and getting out of him what he thinks are the major points of the book....

Jill

justintime said:
OH Breeder said:
justintime said:
I tend to agree that Leader 9th was a more consistent sire than Leader 21st was. I saw both bulls several times and Leader 21st always was the most impressive to the eye. If I have time tonight I will scan a picture of Leader 9th and put it on this site. I have to dig through my archives ( which contains thousands of sale catalogs and magazines from the 30s on. I have a complete set of Canadian Shorthorn Herd Books from 1876 to 1944, when they were discointinued. They show every animal that was registered through those years) Here is a picture of Leader 21st that I have on my puter. It is fuzzy but hope you can see it. My 3 Leader 21st embryos have just past 6 weeks of pregnancy and so far all seem fine. I am holding my breath and hoping that they make it past the 60 days as they are usually pretty sound after that.
What did you flush to TPS Leader 21st? Whenver you get around to it thanks JustIn TIme!
Nice cow, she could pass for a Red Angus

We flushed our Shadybrook Presto 73G donor to Leader 21st. I have attached a picture of her taken two weeks ago. I sold 1/2 the flush to a breeder in Iowa and we implanted 3 here. Our 3 have stuck, at least so far.

OH Breeder

justintime said:
OH Breeder said:
justintime said:
I tend to agree that Leader 9th was a more consistent sire than Leader 21st was. I saw both bulls several times and Leader 21st always was the most impressive to the eye. If I have time tonight I will scan a picture of Leader 9th and put it on this site. I have to dig through my archives ( which contains thousands of sale catalogs and magazines from the 30s on. I have a complete set of Canadian Shorthorn Herd Books from 1876 to 1944, when they were discointinued. They show every animal that was registered through those years) Here is a picture of Leader 21st that I have on my puter. It is fuzzy but hope you can see it. My 3 Leader 21st embryos have just past 6 weeks of pregnancy and so far all seem fine. I am holding my breath and hoping that they make it past the 60 days as they are usually pretty sound after that.
What did you flush to TPS Leader 21st? Whenver you get around to it thanks JustIn TIme!

We flushed our Shadybrook Presto 73G donor to Leader 21st. I have attached a picture of her taken two weeks ago. I sold 1/2 the flush to a breeder in Iowa and we implanted 3 here. Our 3 have stuck, at least so far.

Great looking cow. Those will be some pretty good looking calves. You will definitely have to post them on here. Great depth body!

garybob

Hey, knabe, has anyone heard of the Frosty Acres ranch? Thay are up in the Sierras, and, by reputation, have a linebred herd, that is veery functional, requie no pampering, are hardy, can climb mountains in search of grass and water, and all grade choice and prime. They don't register anymore, but, STILL sell range bulls ( 100 plus a year) to guys wanting to make red-baldy replacemnt heifers. Is this legend, or, reality?
knabe said:
not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but it seems like a figure 8 is going on here with the breeding (a good thing).  in california, shorthorns have pretty much disappeared, taken over by the typical angus.  does anyone think they will be making a comeback, and what is different, better this time.  guys out here say, "that cow would starve out on hills, the best cow is the smallest cow that will raise the largest calf, yet when i look at their herd, yes they do have small cows, kinda no muscle, 3 teats.  only one guy kinda stands out near me, at least on real pasture (unlike mine which is irrigated with improved grasses) that has larger cattle that look like a cross between simmental, charolais, using angus as a terminal mostly, with a chi bull for cleanup once in a while.  another guy has some decent charolais on irrigated and hayed ryegrass pasture.  he also has pinzgauer's.  or are the shorthorns being talked about here for a little more rain than we have in CA?  there are some out here, even on the land leased from the parks to graze the pastures that helps keep down the annual grasses and actually improve the habitat for the species in danger.  strangly, annual rye grass gives off the "right" enough gas to discourage one of our rare butterflies and they use cattle to keep it down.  the parks use a nice pic of a shorthon on their website, of course deep in grass.  they complained about cattle overgrazing, yet were amazed that all the drinking spots made in the 1880-1920's had california redlegged frogs, tiger salamanders.  now they actually look for guys to graze.  they don't yet pay you to graze. :'(  sorry for the lack of focus red.

knabe

Hey GaryBob,

frosty acres is way up in modoc county above mt shasta, far northeast corner.  haven't heard of them.  never saw them at the red bluff, fomosa or poly bull tests during the eighties when there was still a good number at the sales.

there's the cardey's, already mentioned,that might be the one i visited a couple times, but can't recall.  cardey's is one of the few that still sell at the redbluff sale.

here's frosty's info
05-0001
Name: FROSTY ACRES, INC.
Address: PO BOX 142
Address2:
City: ADIN
State: CA
Zip: 96006-0142
Phone: 916-299-3440

also found this with deerpark leader breeding in CA

http://www.sunnydayshorthorns.com/
they also sold recently at redbluff

0 maines sold at redbluff
cal poly sold a bull there out of a bull they have been using extensively and testing with ultrasound and markers
BON VIEW NEW DESIGN 1407
http://www.bigkranch.com/herdsires/newdesign.html

Dale

One of the Canadians said Leader 9th is more consistent than the 21st, but if you are patient and sort through the offspring, 21st will sire more extreme top animals.  We used the 9th more than the 21st.

aj

Is leader 9th semen available? I assume it would be in ampules? He was a abs bull wasn't he? (dog)

OH Breeder

aj said:
Is leader 9th semen available? I assume it would be in ampules? He was a abs bull wasn't he? (dog)
Sometimes you can find Kinnebar Leader 9th and it is in ampules as far as I know. Leader 21st was born in 1960. 9th was around 1965. Email me for little more info if you like AJ.

garybob

Wallly Klose, in Twin Bridges, MT has some semen on him. I losthis number when I washed a cell phone two months ago.

Gary Bob

coyote

I  just AI'd this Pleasant Dawn Seal cow to Leader 9th

iowa

OH Breeder, finally had a chance to scan a picture and post it of Leader 9th

Attachments

• Big_Gene[1].JPG
    Big_Gene[1].JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 273

garybob

I often scratch my head, and wonder WHY, as an industry, did we breed away from this type of cattle? Not just in the Shorthorns, but, in all breeds? Heck, even the Fleckvieh Simmentals, Limouisins, Charolais, that were first originally imported were of the blockier, more masculine type of bulls. All the old-timers, who were against the type-swing of the seventies and eighties, were correct in their assertions that we would end up with gutless, fragile cattle.

shortyjock89

garybob said:
I often scratch my head, and wonder WHY, as an industry, did we breed away from this type of cattle? Not just in the Shorthorns, but, in all breeds? Heck, even the Fleckvieh Simmentals, Limouisins, Charolais, that were first originally imported were of the blockier, more masculine type of bulls. All the old-timers, who were against the type-swing of the seventies and eighties, were correct in their assertions that we would end up with gutless, fragile cattle.

Well said garybob!! I think that you and I like the same type of cattle..not only the breed!  The thing that gets me is this: I showed my steer this week at our county fair.  I was placed 2nd and the judge rambled on about how my steer was full of red meat and handled really well ( I didn't bother to tell him that he is a June steer and his yearling weight was 1104) ...Anyhow, I got beat because the steer in front of me had a more "Heifer-type" front. I don't get it..the heifers are supposed to look like steers and the steers are supposed to look like heifers....give me a time machine and let me go back to when cattle looked like the right gender....would you like to come along GB?

sjcattleco

WOW finally some folks that see the same light at the end of the tunnel that I do!!!... I have never understood what all the hoopla was over these feminine bulls and masculine females!!! I

garybob

sjcattleco said:
WOW finally some folks that see the same light at the end of the tunnel that I do!!!... I have never understood what all the hoopla was over these feminine bulls and masculine females!!! I
Tthe problem is, way back, when the continentals came, there were some dystocia issues associated with the shoulder design of newborns out of growthy sires. Problem was, the low pelvic areas of the small cows was also a problem. This contributed to the emphasis on "clean fronts", the show ring went overboard with "goosey fronts" and "Zipper front ends". If you look at today's cattle, we have accidentally bred away from masculinity. Many people shy away, in the Shorthorn Breed, for example, from masculine bulls, because, I think, It's been so long since they've seen a bull with such a pronounced Crest on their neck, with Coarse, curly hair on their face, neck, and poll, that this type of bull  just look odd to them.