Leader 21 heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

I have had several requests to post pictures of our TPS Coronet Leader 21 calves on SP. I happened to snap a picture of the L21 heifer today. She is pictured in her ordinary clothes, about  two weeks after being weaned. Not the best picture but it gives you an idea what she looks like. Her ET brother has been selected to sell at Canadian Western Agribition in November.He will be pictured soon and I will post his picture as well.  We are selling a full sib pregnancy to these calves as well as a set of 3 grade 1 embryos  from this flush, in "The Fever" sale , at Olds, AB on Oct 16th. This sale will be online via liveauctions.tv .

TPS Coronet Leader 21st was born in 1960, so the semen used in this flush, was over 40 years old. Last week I flushed the same donor to Pheasant Creek Leader 4th, who was the last Shorthorn herd sire at Remitall in Alberta.He was Grand Champion at the 1970 Regina Bull sale and sold for $7400.  I only had two vials of this semen so this will be the last flush we can do to this sire. Leader 4th was homozygous polled and I think he would be a very popular bull today. He was moderate framed super thick and extremely smooth and easy fleshing. I am sure hoping we get some pregnancies from these embryos, as they could result in some "interesting" calves.

Attachments

• HC Picture Perfect 6U.jpg
    HC Picture Perfect 6U.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,080

doubled

Gosh love the middle in her, wish she had a tad more bone, really nice broody heifer, also love the hair coat, lots of it,
good job, she is gonna make a heck of a cow for you or someone.  If we all had 10 of her life would be good.

justintime

She does have a lot of hair, which surprised me a little. In fact she has more hair than most of our calves at this stage. You are right, in that she may be a little fine boned, but she was only 78 lb at birth and I have found that most lighter BW calves are also finer boned. That is another reason that I have been harping on SP about us all being careful in our search for light BW genetics. I think we all want unassisted births more than we want tiny calves with poor growth. I have a notion some who are on this mission to have small BW calves, may be disappointed with what they get. I am pleased with the style and balance this heifer has. I am liking her more and more as she gets older.

I am keeping this heifer and will see how she develops( well, that is she will stay here unless some one with alligator boots happens to stop in to see her!!). With a different genetic base,she may become a good donor... her dam certainly has been a great donor here.

shortdawg

I'm with justamom, I like her middle. Lots of rib shape on a calf that hasn't been weaned very long. She would make a lot of herds better for sure.

justintime

Here is mom... Shadybrook Presto 73G. She is pictured here at 10 years of age, in 2007.She is now 11, yet still looks youthful. She has been an outstanding donor for us and she has offspring in 6 countries. We sold 3 ET sons in our April 08 bull sale. One by Salute topped the sale at $20,000.She seems to work with most any sire.... seems like the good ones can go that.  I have posted her picture on here a few times before... so if you are getting tired of it... I apologize.  Oh by the way, we are selling a flush in Presto in the Fever sale as well. This will be the last flush ever offered on her. The time has come to get as many as we can for our own herd.

Attachments

• Shadybrook Presto 73G x- 2007sm.jpg
    Shadybrook Presto 73G x- 2007sm.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 974

justintime

Here is the sire, TPS Coronet Leader 21st . He is shown here as a 3 year old in 1963. He placed last in class at the American Polled Congress as he was considered to be way too big for that era. He is also the grand sire of Jake's Proud Jazz.

Attachments

• TPS Coronet Leader 21st (2)sm.jpg
    TPS Coronet Leader 21st (2)sm.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 998

bcosu

it's crazy how little amount of leg he has in the cannon bone and below the knee! lots of body though! it seems like you have to go thru some extremes like that to get a happy medium.

OH Breeder

I like this picture of Leader 21st. It really shows his size. If you look at the gentleman holding him in that era the average height of a man was around 5' 8'' or 5' 9'' He is pretty good size.

The comments about the bone. I think we focus too much on bone. I really think she is adequate boned when you look at momma. Besides do we really need more bone in our females? Just a personal opinion.

Attachments

• Leader21-b.jpg
    Leader21-b.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 801

aj

Big bone hurts cutability and calving ease. I have heard complaint's on some angus being to small boned(bone breakage) out in the country...but is that a sign of the times"not big boned enough for the showring?

bcosu

i would not have said that she was lacking. there is a point where cows can be too fine boned and aren't as rugged or survive as well. i showed a heifer all winter that the judges said didn't have enough bone for the show ring but she will make an excellent cow. the thing is that is a masculine trait and is easy to breed back to so it doesn't really hurt to have finer boned heifers.

aj

Also I keep hearing about these 20,000$ cattle. Are they for real? If it is not a hoax why aren't they 19,760$ or 20,500$ or a more uneven number? What was the 20,000$ animal and is that American money?I'm sure it is a for real deal but I always wonder about the 20,000$ full sib I guess.  :)

justintime

aj... the $20,000 was real.... and I paid commission on the entire amount. What was left was in my settlement cheque. I really do not understand what is the big deal about a $20,000 bull. If I was to go to town and buy a used 1/2 ton truck, no one would suggest that the price of $20,000 was made up. My neighbours just purchased two new green combines at over $400,000 each... no one is suggesting there is anything suspicous about that deal. In reality, $20,000 is NOT a big amount of money any more. By the way, the US and Canadian dollars were almost exactly at par at sale time.

In the case of our bull, we had two syndicates try to buy him. I retained a semen interest in him and let both groups know that I would be a partner in whichever group won the bidding. The winning group was made up of 7 commercial and purebred breeders from Alberta and Saskatchewan ( I made the 8th member of the group). There were 5 in the runner up group ( I would have been the sixth if they had bought him). I do not think that a $2500- 3000 investment is much to pay for an interest in any animal that you feel will help your herd.

I personally think that there are more investment opportunities in the beef industry than ever before. A good sire or a good donor can generate many thousands of dollars, if they are promoted properly.

TJ

I like that bull & at 2,250 lbs., he's certainly not that small.  The heifer looks pretty nice.  If he will sire lower birth weight calves, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that semen, but I bet it is very expensive.  Probably better of using JPJ.

RE bone... Although more bone is a desirable show trait, you don't eat bone & as was mention it can reduce cutability & decrease cavling ease.  I know some think more bone = more muscle, but that is not always the case either.   Adequate bone is what you want & that heifer has adequate bone, although I wouldn't want her to have any less than she does.