Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

Red Lowline bull.   Thiiiick.

Attachments

• redbullIII.JPG
    redbullIII.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 858

shortyjock89

I'm not sure, but I think they're both Redlines.  He bought the one that's standing up.  Heck of a butt on that dude.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
A red Lowline.  Fullblood Redlines are super had to find.

^ ^ ^ OFS knows his stuff.  (clapping)

Yes, both of them are red Lowlines.  I've only purchased the bull so far & a cow & calf pair, but I might end up with the red heifers too... IDK yet...

BTW, I've got another pending purchase (pending a test) that should be here sometime in June.  He's an Australian embryo that Cindy Jackson has already agreed to split 50/50 with me.   

Come July & August, I'm going to have to break out the camera. 

dori36

TJ said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
A red Lowline.  Fullblood Redlines are super had to find.

^ ^ ^ OFS knows his stuff.  (clapping)

Yes, both of them are red Lowlines.  I've only purchased the bull so far & a cow & calf pair, but I might end up with the red heifers too... IDK yet...

BTW, I've got another pending purchase (pending a test) that should be here sometime in June.  He's an Australian embryo that Cindy Jackson has already agreed to split 50/50 with me.   

Come July & August, I'm going to have to break out the camera. 

Ok, so, c'mon, who are the sire and dam of the bull?

red

thanks justin. I might need some Lowline 101. why is a redline so rare?
Red

shortyjock89

Getting one is kinda like getting a red one out of a strictly Black Angus herd.  Actually that's exactly what it's like if I understand correctly. 

shortyjock89

I think so.  I think there is also a Wild Red gene in the Lowlines too. 

TJ

Doing a good job, Justin!  (clapping) 

I am starting to hear about more & more red Lowline calves or Lowlines that carry the red gene, but they are still pretty rare.  Dori had a donor cow that had the actual red gene.  However, most of the current red fullblood Lowlines are a result of having 2 wild genes, although a few of the newest red Lowline calves do have 1 wild gene & 1 red gene.  A red 1/2 blood Lowline heifer was born this year that had 1 wild gene & 1 black gene (homozygous black sire!! The genes that effect color (on both sire & calf) & the parentage test was confirmed by DNA twice!!).  For some reason the wild gene tends to turn Lowlines red.

garybob

TJ said:
Doing a good job, Justin!  (clapping) 

I am starting to hear about more & more red Lowline calves or Lowlines that carry the red gene, but they are still pretty rare.  Dori had a donor cow that had the actual red gene.  However, most of the current red fullblood Lowlines are a result of having 2 wild genes, although a few of the newest red Lowline calves do have 1 wild gene & 1 red gene.  A red 1/2 blood Lowline heifer was born this year that had 1 wild gene & 1 black gene (homozygous black sire!! The genes that effect color (on both sire & calf) & the parentage test was confirmed by DNA twice!!).  For some reason the wild gene tends to turn Lowlines red.

TJ,

Is the 'wild" color-pattern gene found in 'standard' Red Angus cattle? Is that where some Red Angus cattle, even purebred 100% 1A's,  get black muzzles, atil switches, etc..?

GB

dori36

red said:
thanks justin. I might need some Lowline 101. why is a redline so rare?
Red

Ok, here goes:

In the original "world of Lowlines", which is Australia, red Lowlines are not allowed to be registered.  Over there, there is some controversy as to just exactly where the red gene came from.  One of the first red Lowlines 'discovered' came from the GOAN herd in Australia that coincidentally also raised red Angus.  That was years ago.  Since that time, red cattle and red genes have been discovered that don't all trace to the GOAN herd.  Red genes in Lowlines come from 2 sources - the usual recessive red (Ee) and also from a wild type allele (E+).  Regular Angus cattle also have the recessive red gene "lurking" in their genetics (even before their "genetics" got, shall we say, muddied).  The  American Angus Ass'n also doesn't allow registration of red animals.  Bulls in the AA that ever produce a red offspring are supposed to be reported and further registration of offspring not allowed.  There are quite a few red and red carrier Lowlines in the country now,  several from Australia.  As I understand it, with the wild type allele, many different colors are possible, red being one of them.  Yes, I did have a red factored cow (I had her dna'd to prove it) that I sold.  She was Ee, the regular recessive carrier, not the wild type. The buyers flushed her to a red Lowline bull and we shared those embryos.  We sold them at Denver this year and got, basically, nothing for them!  I think it was because we couldn't guarantee that the calves, any of the calves, resulting from a successful implant and carrying to term, would acctually "be" red.  They'd all at least be carriers but the odds of getting red hided calves were only 50%.  Sorry this got a little long!  If anyone wants to know who in the US is breeding for, and getting, red Lowlines, let me know.

LazyGLowlines

TJ, just curious who you purchased your redline bull from?  He's awfully nice!  Margo Hayes has the trademark 'redline'. Is this a Vitulus bull or from Bonanza, since David has quite a few red fullblood lowine calves by Awesome Red.  We currently have quite a few Bluey calves on the ground, most are black with the wild allele (E+), so they have at least a 50% chance of throwing red.  We haven't seen a bad Bluey calf yet. If anyone wants to take a look at Bluey or some of his calves go to our website - LazyGLowline.com .  We'll be posting some updated pictures of this years calf crop in the next few days.

TJ

LazyGLowlines said:
TJ, just curious who you purchased your redline bull from?  He's awfully nice!  Margo Hayes has the trademark 'redline'. Is this a Vitulus bull or from Bonanza, since David has quite a few red fullblood lowine calves by Awesome Red.  We currently have quite a few Bluey calves on the ground, most are black with the wild allele (E+), so they have at least a 50% chance of throwing red.  We haven't seen a bad Bluey calf yet. If anyone wants to take a look at Bluey or some of his calves go to our website - LazyGLowline.com .  We'll be posting some updated pictures of this years calf crop in the next few days.

Hi, Glenn or Nancy...  (welcome)

I'd rather not say who, since the calf is not weaned yet & he isn't here yet.  However, you will be glad to know that the bull in the picture is a Bluey calf.  You may also be glad to discover that he is out of a Red Angus cow, so he's NOT a fullblood Lowline, he's a percentage Lowline.  2 red Bluey heifers were in that herd too... I talked some people in Tennessee into buying them.  I haven't seen this little guy in person yet, but the video's that I saw were down right impressive!  I'll try to get some good pics of him & send them to you... you'd be more than welcome to use them in your advertising of Bluey. 

BTW, some time next week or the week after, I'll try to post pics of my "other" new purchase!  ;)  He's supposed to be here this weekend.  He's a black fullblood.

LazyGLowlines

Glad to see Bluey's doing a good job.  I talked to someone who bought Bluey semen last year for their red angus cattle and they are so impressed with the calves they bought more semen this year. There's also someone who bred a heat seeker daughter (out of red shorthorn cow) to Bluey and had a red heifer this spring.  The person is a show judge, and he's so impressed with the heifer he thinks she'll be unbeatable.  She'll be going to some lowline shows from what I heard so we should see some top quality Bluey calves in the show ring this year.

Yes, we'd love to have pictures of your new purchase.  We're going to compile as many pictures of his progeny as possible and add a page to our website. 

Oh, and here's a picture of our red fullblood Bluey calf born in February. He's not quite 4 months old in this picture.

Nancy

Attachments

• U2 side 2 6-3-08.JPG
    U2 side 2 6-3-08.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 275

shortyjock89

LazyG- That's a very nice Red Fullblood calf.  Do you plan on showing him this fall?

TJ

He looks real nice.  It's hard to judge by pictures, but the calf that I bought is real similar to that calf.  Mine might be a little deeper & a little lighter in color, but they are very similar in their make up.  When I get him here & over the hauling/weaning stress, I'll try to get you some good pics.  

Sounds like the percentage Lowline shows are going to be interesting.  I know somebody with a pretty nice white heifer (Lowline X Charolais).  I've got a JR daughter (Transam son) out of a Sin City daughter that I think is going to be pretty decent.  And their are several Doc Holliday calves, that will be shown by several different breeder, that are going to be awfully tough to beat (bulls & heifers... fullblood & percentage).  This fullblood Doc Holliday heifer is, IMHO, a decent amount better than her full sister who was Res. heifer calf champ @ Kansas City last year...

Attachments

• DocHollidayFullbloodHeifer.jpg
    DocHollidayFullbloodHeifer.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 241