"MY TURN" Information by Brad Hook.....please read.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

jbh said:
DL said:
Cattle Fan said:
Brad thanks for going over that again and doing it with such a cordial (bite your tongue) response.  Not sure I could have been that polite.  I agree with many others on this board that you are going about this the right way and that's a breath of fresh air with some of the dishonest things that can go on in today's cattle industry.

I never said anything about Brad not doing things right - I just wanted the pedigree of the darn bull - geeze get your knickers out a knot - it was a simple question - the answer wasn't clear in the previous hundreds of posts - simple question that just got a simple answer (along with the usual knotted knicker comments)

Thanks Brad for the info and for posting what you now know about the bull - good question about how many others might hit a snag.....just wondered what your thinking was on parental verification....will you do it in the future to avoid another SNAFU?

I'd just as soon RAISE the next one......it would be alot easier AND cheaper! (clapping)
I wouldn't say it is always cheaper to raise a good one.... Between the ET bill, the vet bill, and the other cost associated.  You can get a lot invested in a critter pretty quick.. And thats before its even born..lol

CAB

OK, so all of the pedigree questions aside for now, here's what I want to know about the decided heir apparent, CAN WE THROW AWAY THE S-curve  NEEDLE & CAT GUT & AT LEAST JUST HAVE TO KEEP THE JACK READY? Does anyone have personal experience calving My Turn calves out that would have an opinion about how tough they are going to come? I have 2 to come here any day and the cows look huge.

Chap

I have had several, no difficulites on mature cows.  weights ranging from mid 80's to upper 90's.  He has not worked for me on higher % Maine cows, and given the updated pedigree can guess that too much Maine would be a potential issue.  I have a couple on ChiAngus cows that look ok.  More to come. 

CAB

Thanks Brad. We used him on high % Maines also. We pulled a chunky Pt. Taken out of a cow last year and she is huge, over due 1 day right now, but doesn't look like she'll go real soon here, but not going to the clean up either. I thought that as I went around last fall that the best My Turns were out of what I would call"prettier" cows. I did see a fairly good My Turn bull calf out of a Fear This X Stoney Grandson last night, but the cow was pretty and stout. Brockle faced, chunky, possibly little too much shoulder. Time will tell.

Shifting gears here some, but the guys that got Walks Alone semen early are saying that the calves look promising and are being born unassisted for the most part.

tama

Thanks JBH for posting the second post on pedigree cleared up for me. I used Hotmai years ago due to solsma/Pomrenke being so close. I liked my hotmail calves kept several heifers but have never had a bw problem on mine.Granted the cow side of mine were all LaGrand/Miller Angus no CC or Maine If there was/is a BW problem where does that sneak in? Note I say if because I do not have that experience.Also a quick note had my hotmail heifers checked and both were thf(pre ph test) To me that makes them keepers!
    DL thanks for asking the question I was waiting for it to come up not knowing it would be page 6 of post!   

Chap

from what i can tell

Heat Seeker
                                                Hot Mail
                                                                        Mailman
                                                             Ivy
                                                                        angus x
                  My Turn's Sire
                                                                         CKE Primetime (Double Bred Polled Pursuit)
                                                              BK Ice Pick

Kroupa Ice Pick Donor
                                                                         Dunk (SM)
                                                               Dunk/Angus
                                                                          Angus Cow

My Turn
                                                                          Habenero
                                                                 Kadabra
                                                                          Festus Cow
                                               GF Kaboom L75
                                                                           Polled Pursuit
                                                                   FJH Countess 205E
                                                                           River Ridge Cow
               My Turn's Dam
                                                                                     Total Play
                                                                           Reality
                                                                                     Angus
                                                                   Reality Son
                                                                           _____?_____
                                              Ohlrich Ruby Cow
                                                                   Unknown at this time

I wiould say this is a much more complete pedigree than most of the clubby bulls being promoted today.  Quite a bit of Maine in My Turn's lineage as shown above and several influencial sires show up multiple times, perhaps leading to his consistency.  

bcosu

i believe that hotmail's dam is ivy. if that is the same hotmail i am thinking of then he is a half brother to northern light. from what i have heard she is a mailman daughter or something like that.

RSC

I was up at "Freddys" bull sale 2 weeks ago and he had a My Turn x PB Angus(E161) that was VERY nice.  Jamie sent me a couple pictures the other day, hopefully he can get them posted on here.  If My Turn throws one this nice on a PB Angus what do the ones out of a power cow look like?

Tony

DL

Looks like a fair bit of Pistol Pete in that pedigree too - Festus cow is a Pete granddaughter and Habanero is a Pete son

Ice Picks dam is a Draft Pick cow out of a Streamliner X Angus cow

Both Primetime's dam and Draft Picks dam are the ZTA Blk Ruby 535P cow, a Black Gold out of a Paramount cow

interesting - thanks Chap ;)

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Hope you like this calf an cow ,I had been trying to sell her for two years , posted Angus cows on here several times ......  Must be cause I live in the sticks quite aways .My Turn X E161 X Stevenson Royce -New Trend --

Attachments

• IMG_5688 copy---My Shot  ---.jpg
    IMG_5688 copy---My Shot ---.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5690 copy----MY SHOT ---206--.jpg
    IMG_5690 copy----MY SHOT ---206--.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_5692 copy----MY SHOT----.jpg
    IMG_5692 copy----MY SHOT----.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 180

RSC

Freddy said:
Hope you like this calf an cow ,I had been trying to sell her for two years , posted Angus cows on here several times ......  Must be cause I live in the sticks quite aways .My Turn X E161 X Stevenson Royce -New Trend --
Wheres the other picture you sent Jamie?  Looks real good.  Do you know what his BW was?

Tony

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Couple more pictures, no little guy,I forgot to ask if you wanted adjusted , actual , liveable or herd sire weight .  I sent what Rick had in the book 98-,and there were no problems .........

Attachments

• IMG_5679 copy----MY SHOT --.jpg
    IMG_5679 copy----MY SHOT --.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5681 copy----My Shot ---.jpg
    IMG_5681 copy----My Shot ---.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 193

RSC

Freddy said:
Couple more pictures, no little guy,I forgot to ask if you wanted adjusted , actual , liveable or herd sire weight .  I sent what Rick had in the book 98-,and there were no problems .........
You said she was for sale the last 2 years?  I'll give you $1,575 for the pair.  I'll have Dani put the check in the mail tomorrow morning. <beer>

Is this  like a "Rags to Riches" story?  From the Sale Pen to the Donor Pen!  <rock>

Tony

jbh

He looks pretty dang good......Troy Goretska had a nice My Turn x Angus steer last year too.....

jbh

CAB said:
  OK, so all of the pedigree questions aside for now, here's what I want to know about the decided heir apparent, CAN WE THROW AWAY THE S-curve  NEEDLE & CAT GUT & AT LEAST JUST HAVE TO KEEP THE JACK READY? Does anyone have personal experience calving My Turn calves out that would have an opinion about how tough they are going to come? I have 2 to come here any day and the cows look huge.

I've never heard of a C-section yet......ALL of mine came unassisted out of a Warhorse donor.....and were up sucking before I even knew they'd calved. 

That's the most REFRESHING part about My Turn......they're stout, but they don't kill your cow or your budget.  Most are from 80 to 95#s and are made right to come out.

CAB

I'll be happy to get this first one over with. Man she looks like she's full of calf. one day over and counting. Thanks Brad.

CAB

Did get the first one this morning. She was full of calf. Came unassisted 100lbs + bull calf 4 days over. Looks to have some potential. The worst thing about him is that he has extremely curly tight hair. Is that a trait that is going to come with a # of the My Turns or are others getting good hair? Freddy's calf looks like he has that Henri/Kadabra hair also.

jbh

CAB said:
Did get the first one this morning. She was full of calf. Came unassisted 100lbs + bull calf 4 days over. Looks to have some potential. The worst thing about him is that he has extremely curly tight hair. Is that a trait that is going to come with a # of the My Turns or are others getting good hair? Freddy's calf looks like he has that Henri/Kadabra hair also.

Just wait......it loosens up ALOT......and when they get show age and the blower starts hitting it, it's not much of an issue at all.