near portsmouth ohio

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

anybody with a feb.-march steer near here. Not looking for the next major winner but something to have fun with and a little quality. Paying between 400 and 800 for a calf and Halter broke . Thanx  :)

red

Farmboy we might have some in that price range but they're not halter broke or ready to show.
Up by Lima, Ohio

Red

shorthorns r us

you better check the stocker cattle market.  that is barely market price.

farmboy said:
anybody with a feb.-march steer near here. Not looking for the next major winner but something to have fun with and a little quality. Paying between 400 and 800 for a calf and shipping costs. Halter broke and trained and ready to go for the feeder shows and will finish out for the county fair the next year. Thanx  :)

shortyjock89

farmboy said:
anybody with a feb.-march steer near here. Not looking for the next major winner but something to have fun with and a little quality. Paying between 400 and 800 for a calf and shipping costs. Halter broke and trained and ready to go for the feeder shows and will finish out for the county fair the next year. Thanx  :)

Someone would have to like you an awful lot to sell you a Show-ready calf for 800 bucks.  I have some steers I would sell for that, but they certainly aren't broke and they won't do a whole lot of winning either.  O0

shortyjock89

farmboy said:
1300? i'll find one from some local guys

That's a whole lot closer to what a good calf will cost ya.  I went out to Iowa last summer and looked at the 3463456345 different club calf places and a really good steer cost anywhere from 1500 on up to whatever you will pay lol.  I know there are some good steers in Ohio too.  I just didn't know how many people around you have show calves.  Around here, there are probably only 7 or 8  breeders in the county with show animals. 

Jill

The commission company in our area a 515lb steer at market was 1.25 at the sale barn thats 650.00 no papers, no broke, no shipping cost, you take your chances on what they got.  If you find one in that price range, you better jump on it.

farmboy

well, let me think here, theres really 3 breeders here, one of em sold a bull that was actually ours (it was a semi partner deal) we dont deal with him any more, then theres another guy who should have some...I'll find one because the one in the barn (feeder turned crippled :( ) cant walk and is kinda "wackey" Im eying 2 manchild calves though and may get one of those after the fair

red

If you can find a decent broke calf for $800 grab it. No way would I sell a broke calf, show ready for $400-800. Just no money there.

Red

red

Ok, that's not what you said in your first post. "you wanted it trained & halter broke and ready to go for feeder shows." Like I said if you can get a broke calf delivered for under $800 that will compete, buy it!

Red

farmboy

...how bout just a halter broke calf that wont kill me and is not crazy...like i said, im waiting till after the fair to buy the manchild one and am scouting for something better...am willing to put up the cash!

shortyjock89

I find it kind of ridiculous that steers cost so much more money than heifers.  At our place, if we have a heifer and a steer of equal quality, the heifer is worth more, just because she is a breeding tool and will potentially make someone money.  Steers are a moneypit if you're looking to compete with the big boys.  That's why I just show steers that I raise.  Now, it may be that I just raise good steer (I like to think I can raise a decent one) but I don't have any trouble placing well.  But I digress.  I'm just saying that if you're talking about spending $1500- 2000 on a calf, I would spend it on a heifer.  Maybe your situation prohibits you from buying a heifer, but it just makes more sense to me.  Unless, you find a good steer that you could make money on.  It's just a tough situation. 

Jill

Well I can tell you we don't sell any heifer for less than 1500.00, if they aren't worth that, I'll keep them.  You can find 800 dollar steers that will be ok at a county fair level, if you know what to look for and you can find someone like Red that likes to see them go to a good home and is willing to work with you, just be realistic about what you expectations are.  Not everyone has the option of keeping an animal to breed after they are done showing, and some folks like my nephew just prefer showing steers over heifers, to each thier own.

red

Jill- I'm not that nice!  ;)
I might give a break on a price but would never sell a broke steer for $800. We can send them to our feedlot.
As far as heifers, I'd probalby not go under $2000 for any this year that are of good quality & clean. The others go to the farm herd or feedlot.

Red

shortyjock89

Jill- I'm all about giving a good kid a break on price, but this is still the primary way that I make money and pay for college.  Sometimes I just look at it like a business, and heifers make the most profit.  I have nothing against steer or kids that prefer steers, don't get me wrong.  But as I understood it, Farmboy has a cow herd and could probably make room for a heifer if she was good enough.   O0     But.  I hope Farmboy does find a good steer in his price range, I just get a little bent out of shape when people inflate the prices of steers.  

shortyjock89

red said:
SJock- you mean you wouldn't pay 30K for a steer? ::)

Red

Lol oh Red, I have a problem with spending 3k on a steer.  Not saying that it's wrong, but I can buy a heck of a heifer for 3k. 

Jill

red said:
SJock- you mean you wouldn't pay 30K for a steer? ::)

Red
I wouldn't pay that for one, but I sure wouldn't loose any sleep over selling for that, it's not inflated it's called selling a product for what the market will allow.  I remember when 10k for a heifer was an unbelievable amount of money to pay for a top Maine heifer at auction, you can't hardly touch one for that today. 
Didn't realize Farmboy had a herd, why not show an 800 dollar steer from you own herd in that case?