NEED HELP CHOOSING A SH BULL TO AI TO MY SH HEIFER

Help Support Steer Planet:

LittleHeifer

???Ok I'm trying to decide who to AI my SH Heifer June to? She lost her calf after getting pnemonia back in August. Sorry for the pic I know it sucks I will have to get some better pics tomorrow. So who do you guys think would make a good SH bull for her?

Attachments

• June.jpg
    June.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 845
  • June.jpg
    June.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 827

Davis Shorthorns

I would think that Captain Obvious, JPJ (or son), Double Duty line, any thing from Sneed like 034.  LB black Angus bull like Mitty In Focus, or SAV Final Answer.  I have used Final answer and LOVED the cross.  Just try to remember dont try for the home run right off the bat just try for a live calf on the ground. 

trevorgreycattleco

I agree, a live calf is the most important thing right now. 034 is going off the market soon. We have his son 329 who is a new option for heifer projects. His grandsire RS ST269 832 is one of the easiest calving shorthorn bulls I know of. sue on here showed a 329 heifer to third place earlier this year in a tough show. The judge said she was to full I believe?? Funny thing was she was barely fed anything prior to sale :). 329 had a 69 lb bw himself and I have yet to have a calf over 85. If you get a heifer she could be a keeper too. A bull, and you have yourself your own heifer bull lol. All my heifers are bred to 329.

Captain Obvious, Kaper 4508. Double Duty is right there with the 832 bull for calving ease. There are lots of choices. Go to Cattlevisions, Shorthorn Shop.com are good places to start.

Davis Shorthorns

forgot about 329.  Saw that heifer that Sue showed and she was a really nice easy keeping COW COW COW type heifer. 

mark tenenbaum

To me -this hiefer  is the larger longer phenotype that would be ideal to Capt Obvious-he will add the guts and rib along with Ce.The others mentioned will all work too-judging from pics of the bulls and her-I like the Capt. today. O0

CAB

Littleheifer ck out the" Shorty heifer bull" thread. There are no less than 58 pages for your reading pleasure. Also you should take a look @ the bull JSF Addicted bull. He is a very good looking JPJ son. There is some info on him in the semen & embryos thread a couple of pages back by now.

LittleHeifer

*x3949252 CF PROSPERITY X
                      *x4067257 CFS TONI
              *x3966246 NB MACARENA
Sire:*x4126218 PHF CRUISER 132T
            *x4036158 HR HOT TOPIC
                      *x4085400 WIEBES HOT MABEL 43
                              *x4051884 WIEBES SUPER MABEL 32

*x3949252 CF PROSPERITY X
                          *x4067257 CFS TONI
              *x3966246 NB MACARENA
Dam:*x4108535 PHF ROSE 31
              *x4036158 HR HOT TOPIC
                        *x4085401 WIEBES SUPER ENTICER 48
                                *4051889 WIEBES SUPER FLAG 35

There is her pedigree and some more pics of her.(starts with young pictures to older pics in order)
little heifer (angel)

Attachments

• June 2.jpg
    June 2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 191
  • June 3.jpg
    June 3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 163
  • June 4.jpg
    June 4.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 702
  • June 5.jpg
    June 5.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 654

OH Breeder

You've got a little bit of everything in her. Kaba, Trump, Aytollah, Super FLag, Rodeo Drive, Fool's, Improver....I am not really good but learning shorthorn history's. An outcross sire would be Captain and you also might consider Gizmo and or his son Wymore. I would think either o these would soften her up etc.She had not issues the first go around with calving?

LittleHeifer

this will be her first calf. she lost her calf in the begining of her pregnancy. I will look up Gizmo and I like the looks of Captain Obvious
Little Heifer (angel)

mark tenenbaum

OH Breeder said:
You've got a little bit of everything in her. Kaba, Trump, Aytollah, Super FLag, Rodeo Drive, Fool's, Improver....I am not really good but learning shorthorn history's. An outcross sire would be Captain and you also might consider Gizmo and or his son Wymore. I would think either o these would soften her up etc.She had not issues the first go around with calving?/////
Good idea-I forgot about Wymore-hes got that great hip,and deep-with CE- The Capt-is a little more extreme-which is what that hiefer needs O0

OH Breeder

LittleHeifer said:
this will be her first calf. she lost her calf in the begining of her pregnancy. I will look up Gizmo and I like the looks of Captain Obvious
Little Heifer (angel)

Wymore first picture. I think he is Leader 32 N or something

Second Pic Gizmo

Attachments

• Gizmo.jpg
    Gizmo.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Gizmo2.jpg
    Gizmo2.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 153
  • Elbee Wymore.jpg
    Elbee Wymore.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 137

LittleHeifer

does anyone have pics of offspring out of Capt., Gizmo, or Wymore? I can't find any pics of 034, does anyone have any of him or his offspring? I really like Capt.
Little Heifer (angel)

OH Breeder

LittleHeifer said:
does anyone have pics of offspring out of Capt., Gizmo, or Wymore? I can't find any pics of 034, does anyone have any of him or his offspring? I really like Capt.
Little Heifer (angel)

The family that bred Gizmo and his son are listed below.
ELBEE Farms
1346 E. Hwy 9
Blue Rapids, KS 66411

(785) 556-0375
(785) 556-0376

[email protected] 
  I am sure he will have photos to share.

J

JTM

I'm going to use some sexed heifer semen of JSF Capiche from Select Sires. I am also purchasing some semen of RS DV 034 329 08 or "329". I seen him in person a couple of months ago and he is a really good bull. I would suggest a bull like this because of the calving ease potential and I feel that is the most important thing on the first calf.

Attachments

• 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 149

sue

Hey Linnette sorry your team lost saturday  :( I was cheering, such a great game.

Little heifer the pedigree of this female looks very interesting. She is  stacked on top and bottom -  329 is linebred and CO is out of a linebred female.

Dispostion of both bulls is very good.

Just recently at IA beef Expo a Captain son ( SG&J Obvious) sold for $5k - His 3/4 brother is selling  in Ohio beef expo  PVF Gold Nugget and catalog is on www. shorthorncountry.net, Nugget is a  Full brother to Nitro who sold a couple years back - Lakeside Nitro ( he is on Cattlevisions page)  .W e had a pen of Captain bulls in Denver - I can post some those pics.

Paternal brother to 329 is selling in Sullivan's bull sale - SULL RED SAvior.

Message me tell me where you live - there may be Captain calves in your area that you can  visit and see before you breed your heifer.

Pretty sure we have video of captain daughtes posted on our webpage and also a video of a 329 weaned female as well.  I posted a captain son that sold in denver last year Lakeside Geronimo... his calves are due any minute...

Attachments

• geronimo_shrunk.jpg
    geronimo_shrunk.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 163

sue

sue said:
Hey Linnette sorry your team lost saturday  :( I was cheering, such a great game.

Little heifer the pedigree of this female looks very interesting. She is  stacked on top and bottom -  329 is linebred and CO is out of a linebred female.

Dispostion of both bulls is very good.

Just recently at IA beef Expo a Captain son ( SG&J Obvious) sold for $5k - His 3/4 brother is selling   in Ohio beef expo  PVF Gold Nugget and catalog is on www. shorthorncountry.net, Nugget is a  Full brother to Nitro who sold a couple years back - Lakeside Nitro ( he is on Cattlevisions page)  .W e had a pen of Captain bulls in Denver - I can post some those pics.

Paternal brother to 329 is selling in Sullivan's bull sale - SULL RED SAvior.

Message me tell me where you live - there may be Captain calves in your area that you can  visit and see before you breed your heifer.

Pretty sure we have video of captain daughtes posted on our webpage and also a video of a 329 weaned female as well.  I posted a captain son that sold in denver last year Lakeside Geronimo... his calves are due any minute...
The heifers in the back drop are Captain's too. The white flanked female had a 329 calf about a month ago in Northeast ohio...

sue

329 baby - week old bull calf.

Attachments

• 329x706_baby_shrunk.JPG
    329x706_baby_shrunk.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 161