Opinions needed on bull -- DL ?? or ??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowboy

I have always wanted to use a new generation Maine bull to mate to my Cunia and Powerplant heavily influenced herd.

There was a bull displayed in Denver last year that caused quit a stir, he had an outcross pedigree that REALLY interested me.

The bull was Called "" Gigalo Joe"" , that spelling may be off some. He seems to be really catty and I haven't had the chance to find much info on who has used him as yet.

If you have seen, heard or know of how his calves are doing, I would be thankfull! I thought at the time he might fit well here -- any thoughts or comments???

Thanks to all -- I am trying to increase my female line so that I have a sounder, more functional cow herd later. Looking forward to any nfo !

Terry

common sense

Oh boy, here it goes.  I am pretty sure that I am going to be shunned NOW!!  Terry, that's Gigolo with TWO o's.  (lol) And now we can do some word association.  Geesh, it's like finding out who Spider Man is!  Gigolo = guess who?  I will be happy to answer any questions and yes, he would be a good fit on your cows.  I don't want to use SP to self promote.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.  I just want to say that I don't believe he is a flash in the pan and I stand behind him with the strongest faith in what he can offer the Maine breed. Now, pick yourself up off the floor. (lol)

Show Heifer

Gee, I didn't know your identity was a secret?  (clapping) Or maybe some of us are just better puzzle people!!!! (clapping)

Telos

Thought everyone needs to see this guy. This is NBJ Gigolo Joe at Fort Worth.  I like him, plus he has a little more twist in his pedigree then most.

Attachments

• 0080.jpg
    0080.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 570

Cowboy

Well color me STUPID -- I should have guessed, I just didn't put two and two together -- sorry Common Sense -- (Probably would have gotten 3.5 any way!) Nice to put the face to the name! I understnad the self promotion thing --I have to deal with that same thing here too.

Didn't mean to create a puzzle -- like I said -- color me stupid!! ::) :eek: :eek:

Telos -- this is a good picture I hadn't seen, thank you. I like the bull too -- and I feel he will fit my closely bred herd, I only have 10 cows, I tihnk I am going to put him on 5 of them. That should say something to all breeders, forget the stir he made in Denver, use the bull becuase he is a good bull. I like his pedigree as well, I desperately need to get away from the Cunia-Powerplant influence close up like I have, He will get it done I tihnk!

There has to be some calves around other than at his home, was just hoping to get some feedback! Thanks every one for putting up with me Cranial Density --I did after just turn 54!!! hehehe (clapping)

Terry

Telos

No need for anyone to worry about the self promotion stuff.  My only agenda is to show off what I think is an important beef bull.

Cowboy - He should put some guts in those Power Plants genetics and do it without the PHA gene.

Birth control pills might be in store if he gets too popular.

red

If I can talk the hubby into him, I'm might use him on my red cow. Since I'm using bulls like Foreplay, Triple X & hard Core, a little Joe won't hurt me!

Red

CAB

Hey Common Sense, please post up the Gigolo Joe bull's AMAA # so I can study him some. Thank You in Advance. Cab.

red

Juli- also let me see the young bull out of him you're promoting & his AMMA number.

Red

tried Cinnamon Pecan Praline coffee tonight at Arby's. Very good!

DL

Hey Cowboy - you should know I am not very new wave when it comes to bulls - in fact I am pretty retro when looking for maternal bulls - I like and still use DF Midas, FR Magic and Topper - all fairly outcross to your Cunia /Power Plant genetics - Topper is still reasonably priced, Midas and Magic less so. I know you are looking for Maine, but I am still pretty hot on Gizmo and hopefully his son Wymore will be better than his daddy (isn't that the goal  ;)) I am also waiting on some Money Man calves and think that should be interesting as I haven't used him before but seen some nice females and I think Majors have a quality program.

CAB - you can search the Maine breed if you don't know the number by putting a % in front of the name (ie you don't know the prefix) so for Midas your would do %Midas and in theory it gives you all the animals with Midas in their name. It isn't as handy as the ASA search, but it works

red

DL, since you answered Cowboy's question w/ other bulls, I take you wouldn't use Joe? Maybe another question is have you ever used a new bull on older cows?

Just asking'
Red

justme

Cowboy,
That was a bull I was curious about too...I cann't wait to see his calves.  If I wasn't so lazy I'd get myself in the truck and go up and see him and some calves.  I'm just to big of a whimp in this cold lol.

His pedigree is neat, and he's clean.  We as Maine breeders don't get that too often.  I'm hoping he'll work on some my genetics from Majors.

common sense

justme said:
Cowboy,
That was a bull I was curious about too...I cann't wait to see his calves.  If I wasn't so lazy I'd get myself in the truck and go up and see him and some calves.  I'm just to big of a whimp in this cold lol.

His pedigree is neat, and he's clean.  We as Maine breeders don't get that too often.  I'm hoping he'll work on some my genetics from Majors.

Here are a couple of older pictures. One is a Gigolo Joe bull calf out of a Saugahatchee X Phillip Rock Solid cow pictured at about 2 weeks.  The other picture is the same bull at about 5 months.  The heifer is a MaineTainer Gigolo Joe out of a Fear This X WHR Sonny first calf heifer.  She is about 5 months as well.

Attachments

• Little Joe.jpg
    Little Joe.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 462
  • 418TGigolo Joe Bull.jpg
    418TGigolo Joe Bull.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 471
  • 87T Joe heifer.jpg
    87T Joe heifer.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 469

justme

very impressive pictures Common Sense.  Guess when the weather breaks I need to come take a drive and see some more of his calves.

Cowboy

(clapping) WOW BABY !!

Guess that pretty much makes up my mind, as I look at my cows going into third trimenster -- there is a real place out there for a REAL bull, I like what I am seeing.

Congrats on a couple of good ones, where there's two -- THERE IS MORE I am sure.

Might check your semen stores folks, he may be getting used more than you think this year!!!

Good job.

Terry

j3cattleco

We are taking a new twist of a bull to denver this year.  He is out of DMCC Lamborgini who is a double bred Midas son.  His dam is a habanero x foreplay cow.  He had a birth weight of 81 pounds and was born 8/24/06.  For people that don't know much about lamborgini Ray farms owns the bull and had him leased to Throgmartin and Holtkamp.  The heifer that Dylan Evans won reserve with at denver in 05 I think was a lamborgini and then Holtkamp sold a lamborgini heifer for 51000 this summer.  This bull calfs mom is called 140m and her first calf was a western union son that was champion maine steer in Indianna 2005 for russ martin and this is her second natural calf.  He will be on display in denver Thursday friday and saturday in the yards.  His name is Catalyst and he has been tested PHA and TH free.  If anyone has any questions you can contact me.  I don't have a pic yet as we are planning on getting that done in Denver. 

Jill

We had decided to use him, he does a couple of things I think that are important for our purebred cows.  He as a 2 year old bull is still extremely clean fronted as well as deep flanked.  Most of the Maine purebred bulls don't put enough rib, depth and flank in a calf for us, but I think this bull has that ability if he throws true to form.  I have not seen any calves out of him, but I breed to a lot of bulls without ever seeing a calf crop so that doesn't really bother me.

Show Heifer

Hey, have heard lots of good things about Catalyst!!! Saw Holtkamps heifer and she was just flat awsome!!!
Everyone I have talked to really likes Lamborgini, too bad he wasn't used more, but he was used in a few herds with lots of luck.  I know Chad sure loves him! I would love to know more about him...bw, ww, etc.  I'll miss seeing him in Denver, but would love for you to post a pic!!! (clapping)