Red Angus - Looking for a new executive secretary

Help Support Steer Planet:

TPX

Well I talked to alot of people that entered denver from uphere and so far none of them are going now b/c of the rules and regs but they said the there was suppose to be a meeting on friday to see if the could get buy with a special permit.  But even with the special permit some people might not go b/c of the risk of some rule change well down there and then getting animals put down or something.

DL

TPX said:
Well I talked to alot of people that entered denver from uphere and so far none of them are going now b/c of the rules and regs but they said the there was suppose to be a meeting on friday to see if the could get buy with a special permit.  But even with the special permit some people might not go b/c of the risk of some rule change well down there and then getting animals put down or something.

Yeah leave it to the government to make something that should be relatively easy really complicated and stupid - let me see now, what animal would be easier to trace - one from Canada with Canadian RFID and a national ID system or one from somewhere in the US with a silver USDA tag that no one bothered to write down correctly but it doesn't matter because it isn't in a computer anywhere, or even better the black Angus bull with the tattoo 10T.....

Com'on SH you were suppose to be nice and not complain  ;) I knew it wouldn't last!

I have actually never met face to face a RA breeder but I suspect it is like any other breed - the good, the bad and the ugly.....

ROAD WARRIOR

DL - I can't believe that you would think that the government would overregulate anything! I am sorry for the Canadian breeders that have to jump through hoops be for they can even consider exporting live animals. I have used alot of Canadian bulls over the years even back when it was not "politically correct" to do so. Yes DL there are good, bad and ugly in our breed just like any other - I'm sure that I fit into atleast two of those catagories myself!

feeder duck

Back to the Executive secretary subject...  I personally never met Dr. Bolze when he was with the Shorthorn assoc. My impression of him was very good. He responded to my Email concerns in a very timely manner and seemed interested. We are not big breeders, but we have been in the breed longer than a lot of here today gone tomorrow money firms. I have only heard speculation as to the reason he is not with our association any longer. I can tell you we are no setting any service records with out him. My guess is he was run off. ANY HOW. We have been using RA bulls on our first calf heifers and I love them. I am digging hard to find a couple of base genetic females to start a small RA herd to run a second set of cows. Being welcomed or not is not my concern. I will say the few breeders I have contacted have been very helpful folks. Johnsons in Iowa and Cross Diamond(the Fords) seem to be super people. I would concider myself a club calf breeder and far from a commercial man. However Dr. Bolze seem to have knowledge that even I found interesting and of value. I guess at age 40 you can still learn. That said as an RA breeder to be he would sure have my vote.

garybob

cowz said:
Time for another one:  "The world is run by those who show up!"

( So make sure you join and attend your local cattlemen's organization!)
Unfortuneately, Ma'am, those oraganizations, at my local and state level, are heavily -populated by people above the age of 55 who aren't ready for change, and the few younger generation-ers that think "Daddy and Pa-Paw, and Uncle Joe 'n them" always done good by following the trends and patterns established and practiced by the three marketing venues (sale barns) around here, locally, so "We ought to do the same". Joined one year, butted heads, and , found my cattle were "stolen" more and more, every time I tried to reason with these guys about their "justified" discounts. Forgive me for the run-on sentences. I wish you all the best.
I am envious of you guys who aren't SURROUNDED by numb-skulls, and are able to make progress. Here, those two organizations, along with Farm Bureau, are simply an extension of the Coffee Shop. Bar-coded ear tags are the Devil, and County-Agent is a Curse-word.
You think I'm kidding?  It's every bit as ugly as I've I've described it.

Have you guys thawed out, yet?

GB

aj

Roughly what does the job pay?Does anyone know? It's a interesting topic. Do you go with a yes person or a innovator? Do you go with a older person with alot of credibility or do you go with a youngster. Has a breed ceo ever been a woman? Do you go with someone familar with the breed or someone unbiased? I guess its up to the directors.

knabe

isnt' there a couple of very prominent woman RA breeders out there?  didn't one just share a producer of the year award?

ROAD WARRIOR

I guess I would like to see someone that is young enough to still have a lot of drive but old enough to know that there are some limitations. As long as they do a good job of promoting the breed as a whole and take care of the business in the office, I don't care if it is a man or a woman. I honestly don't know what the job pays ( I really should though!) but I think it is pretty good.

knabe

i bet this job pays better.  in sunnyvale CA, you can get paid $200,000 year to be a sustainable energy something.  get lifetime pension at 85-100 percent of your ending salary after less than 20 years (think in military terms how unfair this is) and hire a staff of probably around 5 and all that money to pay salary, budget, retirement.  maybe they should study the unsustainability of the taxpayer.  i guess we don't pay enough taxes.  CA is in the red 15 billion dollars, yet they are suing the taxpayer because they can't have their own special set of emissions standards.  maybe the soccer moms could give up the cadiillac escalades and purchase something else?  No way.  household's in silicon valley that make 80,000 will qualify for free health care from all you lower cost of living regions, and guess what else? the amt tax that was supposed to tax people because they used tax exemptions the congess passed initially only tagged around 165 people, but now, you can get dinged for it with a combined salary of only 80,000.  mathmatically, we are almost at 100% government with no private industry and importing food to boot.  we need more i say!

Ca, coming to a community near you.  forget illegal immigration, be scared of immigrants from CA.

garybob

knabe said:
i bet this job pays better.  in sunnyvale CA, you can get paid $200,000 year to be a sustainable energy something.  get lifetime pension at 85-100 percent of your ending salary after less than 20 years (think in military terms how unfair this is) and hire a staff of probably around 5 and all that money to pay salary, budget, retirement.  maybe they should study the unsustainability of the taxpayer.  i guess we don't pay enough taxes.  CA is in the red 15 billion dollars, yet they are suing the taxpayer because they can't have their own special set of emissions standards.  maybe the soccer moms could give up the cadiillac escalades and purchase something else?  No way.   household's in silicon valley that make 80,000 will qualify for free health care from all you lower cost of living regions, and guess what else? the amt tax that was supposed to tax people because they used tax exemptions the congess passed initially only tagged around 165 people, but now, you can get dinged for it with a combined salary of only 80,000.  mathmatically, we are almost at 100% government with no private industry and importing food to boot.  we need more i say!

Ca, coming to a community near you.  forget illegal immigration, be scared of immigrants from CA.
Knabe, i agree with you 100% on this one. When Californians ( the Citizen-legal type) move to the Ozarks (MO, AR, OK) they bring worse troubles than the Illegals working inthe local Poultry Processing Industry.Here's how it goes, from a disgruntled GenerationX'er.

1. "Ah, the peace and quiet". 2 years later, the same newcomers say........."This place is soooo boring.Heck, there's nothing to do, except drink a little, and, go to the movies".
2. They brag about how much they sold their place in CA, compared to what they bought out here. 3yrs later............"Dang it ! I'm getting on up there in years, and, my house will only bring 20k more than I paid for it in 19XX. I can't afford to retire."
3. I LOVE the scenery, four distinct seasons ( with a winter that isn't quite as bad as the Midwest and Northeast), the pastures and old barns are sooo just like my Grampy and Nana described it ( 95% of these folks are descendants of Ozarkers that left before WW11). 4 years later, same people are saying....."I'm getting tired of having to wait on the State and County clear the roads after an Winter Storm. Also, I hate having to plug and patch my tires after a Spring rain washes rocks and gravel onto the road. What's wrong with this state? The roads are all paved in CA!!!!!!"
4. "Jobs are soo plentiful here. Love it. Absolutely love it here. My family is coverd with health insuirance for less than 20-buck$ a week." BUT....., 5 years later...........same, stupid Mustards are saying................."what's that smell? Yuck-o!!!!!What are they putting on those fields, just so they can have productive pastures and hay meadows? And, I'm sick and tired of all these Trucks out on the road. Is there anything out that isn't directly tied to WalMart, FedEx Freight, Tyson, or JB Hunt?"
5. THIS ONE REALLY MAKES ME SCRATCH MY BROW IN DISBELIEF......... Upon ther arrival, these folks are amazed at how well-mannered and respectful the youth are here. 5years later.............." That Barbaric redneck of a Principal allowed a Teacher to beat my sweet, innocent child with a board. They just don't do that in California, NO-sir-eeee. I, also,for the life of me, don't know why the Arkansas Stae Police can't stop the infiltration Gangs into NW AR. That's why we left California in the first place."

at  least the immigrants (legal and undocumented ones both) will get a job (and keep it), and not stir up trouble. They don't run for the Quorum Court (yes, y'all, we still have Justices of the  Peace.  Also,we calll 'em County Judges, not County Commisioner), the School Board, the Little League Parents Association, and try to "improve" our Ozarks by adding zoning laws, and, making it impossible to get rid of Vermin, using whatever device is handiest. We can't even kill a racoon with a Nail Gun, anymore.

Blame Mel Gibson and Danny Glover. They give us the I-Dea.

GB

knabe

i'm thinking the hired hands working for these types have a secret code they talk in the coffee shop. :-* ;) ;D

garybob

That's true. Some of them blow their entire fortune in the Cattle Business, after moving here. The local folks that work for them do talk a lotta smack at the coffee shop.

renegade

itk said:
Gravy should be the least of his concerns at the McDonald's just south of the grounds they don't even speak English. It is a good thing they have numbered value meals because the only Spanish I know is the numbers 1-10 so at least I don't starve.

On this subject did you know that china has more english speaking people than america does

garybob

renegade said:
itk said:
Gravy should be the least of his concerns at the McDonald's just south of the grounds they don't even speak English. It is a good thing they have numbered value meals because the only Spanish I know is the numbers 1-10 so at least I don't starve.

On this subject did you know that china has more english speaking people than america does
There's always been Hispanics in the Southwest, and French-Speaking People in the swamps of  Southern Louisiana. The USA has never been Uni-Lingual. Never. Not even during Washington's administration. There are towns with Spanish names all over Colorado, Utah, as far North as Montana. The root of your "gravy dilemma" is questionable to me. Chinese labor and Laundries put Railrods across the West. San Francisco always has had a "China-TOWN", hasn't it?
The economy, especially the Agricultural Economy, would more than likely implode, if We sent 'em back. Seriously. Punch in the numbers. Have you ever worked in the Packing Industry? Tyson, Smithfield, Cargill, etc. run on about a 1% margin in PROFITABLE years. They can'y afford to pay more than $10-an-hour. Where we gonna go with our livestock, without Processing Plants being fully staffed? Remember "Economies of Scale", or, "The Production Function" from Intro to AG-ECON?

These are just the facts. I hate Illegal Immigration. The main reason these folks aren't legal? Because it is unnaffordable. "EL Coyote" with take payments, but, INS won't.

It's not really as simple as, getting a passport, going to the border,  paying a fee, and getting your application stamped& your picture taken. Ellis Island doesn't exist anymore.
We're all to blame for this, Republican, AND Democrat, Conservative, or, Liberal.  If it is a mess of Gov't Regulations that impair getting drought-assistance feed-money from FSA, can you imagine applying with La Migra?

Ask Shortdawg about the situation He was in, last Summer.

Dude, get ready for $6-each Bell Peppers. Nobody will be able to afford a Supreme Pizza. Vegetables and Fruits will be  luxury items.

Illegals working legitimate W-4/ I-9 jobs at tyson, or anywhere else DO (contrary to popular opinion on this message board) PAY taxes. They NEVER file a return. The money goes to the Feds, and stays there to fund Mineral Exploration of Mars, even though NO WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION HAVE BEEN FOUND, in Iraq.

Any Comments?

GB

renegade

I do appreciate what they do for america in keeping food cost down but shouldnt they appreciate what america does for them?  I really dont think that it should be a must for me to be bilingual to get a job (a lot of jobs in sw idaho you have to be able to speak spanish). I have nothing against hispanic immigrants, but do it legally (i know its not easy but if you break the law to get here what keeps from breaking the law when you do get here) and learn english... make the effort.

aj

I used to haul flake corn to a dairy in kansas.The guy in charge of feeding was a mexican named soroco. It was a 4000 head dairy. He was old school.He was hunch backed and had a limp and alot of times he would jog between the feed truck and the loader. He was a hustler. He could barely speak english. He tried to teach me a spainish word everyday and I tried to teach him a english word. We always watched the same weather tv deal every night and tried to discuss weather the next day. Anyway alot of the kids underhim looked like gangbangers and had hats on backwards and etc.. Sorroco was a good worker but we gotta build a wall. It is turning into a welfare deal instead of an opportunity especially the new generation coming in. I just don't think the experiment of democracy will survive to the 300 year mark unless we build a wall. :(

renegade

i was at a dairy judging comp and two of the guys were out in shorts and tennis shoes and another one in high spanish looking boots and pants.  These guys put a cow in a pen yanked the calf, left it in the pen, and ran the cow through the middle of the "parking area" where all of the buses and kids were (after birth and all hanging out) and put her in her pen.

itk

aj said:
I used to haul flake corn to a dairy in kansas.The guy in charge of feeding was a mexican named soroco. It was a 4000 head dairy. He was old school.He was hunch backed and had a limp and alot of times he would jog between the feed truck and the loader. He was a hustler. He could barely speak english. He tried to teach me a spainish word everyday and I tried to teach him a english word. We always watched the same weather tv deal every night and tried to discuss weather the next day. Anyway alot of the kids underhim looked like gangbangers and had hats on backwards and etc.. Sorroco was a good worker but we gotta build a wall. It is turning into a welfare deal instead of an opportunity especially the new generation coming in. I just don't think the experiment of democracy will survive to the 300 year mark unless we build a wall. :(

Every great society in the history of mankind has failed and ended why would ours be any different. The best foreman at the company I work for has shady citizenship at best. He tried to get legal citizenship but was denied. He has a engineering degree from one of the top university's in Mexico and should be working half as much and earning 5 times the money. He is one of the nicest and most intelligent people I have ever met and my heart goes out to him since our current immigration system failed him so badly.

garybob

renegade said:
I do appreciate what they do for america in keeping food cost down but shouldnt they appreciate what america does for them?  I really dont think that it should be a must for me to be bilingual to get a job (a lot of jobs in sw idaho you have to be able to speak spanish). I have nothing against hispanic immigrants, but do it legally (i know its not easy but if you break the law to get here what keeps from breaking the law when you do get here) and learn english... make the effort.
99% of 'em do, at least, down here in Broiler 'n Turkey Country, try to learn English. It's comic relief to hear 'em try to say "Yep!", or, "git-r-Done!!!!!". Not only is it a challenge for them to learn English, our local Ozark Plateau Dialect kinda trips 'em up, a li'il bit.

Larry The Cable Guy is from Nebraska, by the way.

GB