San Antonio Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

kobo_ranch

blurytx said:
All I know about San Antonio is that I received a call on Tuesday from up north and was told who was going to win and what steer.  This guy was right on the money and he was 600 miles away.  Politics played a hugh part in the show.  You should never let a judge from Texas judge a Texas major, because politic an favorites will aways be in the way.
Ok then... if this is a true story... I rest my case.  Don't tell me that the some of us regular folks don't or can't do a good job at picking, feeding and working with our cattle. 
Most of the time (not ALL BUT MOST) in MY OPINION... the politics all revolve around the mightly dollar (like most things) and who's willing to spend the most money! 

stangs13

knabe said:
stangs13 said:
Its not so much the families who buy them, but the place they buy them from..

you mean the $800 one's that win everything?

Im talking about the bonhams.... The bohnams can produce or find a good one, sell a good one, raise a good one, slick, or hair. Its not so much the families down here, if you are sold a bonham calve, they take care of you and help you get the animal along.  Thats were I am wondering what politics have to do with anything...how is the judge supposed to know that a certain calve is from one place or another?? There were plenty of popular families in the show, not all of them won.

knabe

stangs13 said:
Im talking about the bonhams.... The bohnams can produce or find a good one, sell a good one, raise a good one, slick, or hair. Its not so much the families down here, if you are sold a bonham calve, they take care of you and help you get the animal along.  

more power to them.  more should do the same.  apparently it works.  i think in general, it appears most people do a good job compared to when i showed 25 years ago where the top shows, at least out west, were like local shows nowadays.

JSchroeder

Steer4Caddy, I’ve heard plenty of people with branded steers complain about his inconsistency, I’m one of them.  If you didn’t see him change what he was emphasizing over the week you didn’t watch enough of the show.  One guy was thankful his breed went in Thursday because he wouldn’t have had a shot in his same class Friday.

On the other hand, the claims of politics at the top are from people who obviously didn’t see the steers and have no business making such claims.  While everyone I’ve spoken with who saw all three days of the show questioned McClintock’s consistency not a single person has questioned the selection of the Shackelford steer.

Ok then... if this is a true story... I rest my case

Really?  They picked the Shackelford steer to take overall?  Wow, that’s going way out on a limb.  He really picked a $40,000 Bonham Charolais steer fed by the son of the most successful show steer oriented ag teacher in the state?  What stocks does he like over the next year?

Kobo, I’ll be honest.  I was starting to respect you over time.  You seemed to be a good natured guy who was trying really hard to improve his cattle.  Unfortunately, like all of those who are petty at heart, you have shown your true colors now that you hit a bump in the road.  Read this slowly….YOU - DIDN’T – EVEN – SEE – THE - STEER.

stangs13

Good question...here is a front view..not as finished as a market ready as you would think. Maybe he is different in person.

edit-NVM the front view wont link for some reason..just go forward a few pictures and you can see the front view..

knabe

stangs13 said:
Good question...here is a front view..not as finished as a market ready as you would think. Maybe he is different in person.

edit-NVM the front view wont link for some reason..just go forward a few pictures and you can see the front view..

list the pic #, i couldn't find it.

i've never seen a slick show, which i guess all these are, but it looks like they do a really good job, as good or better than the sheep.

stangs13

knabe said:
stangs13 said:

list the pic #, i couldn't find it.

i've never seen a slick show, which i guess all these are, but it looks like they do a really good job, as good or better than the sheep.

Yeah, but some of these cattle will hardly grade prime...if at all. But after all this is a steer show. I remember the SA champion last year had great cover. A different type than this critter is. Picture number BK10-8-5839.

I think you should set up a trip to see houston one year..huge show, great experience, and lots of slick sheared cattle..

worthabit

I have never seen a slick show either.  It looks very interesting. I noticed in one of the pictures there is a "S" branded on the steer, is this for San Antoinio or the breeders brand?

johnwayne

Steer4Caddy,
I've heard plenty of people with branded steers complain about his inconsistency, I'm one of them.  If you didn't see him change what he was emphasizing over the week you didn't watch enough of the show.  One guy was thankful his breed went in Thursday because he wouldn't have had a shot in his same class Friday

Look, I want to clarify one thing.  I am not saying that winners did not deserve to win, I know I need a lot more time in front of the feed pan, and I am looking at all aspects of my program, I have a long road ahead of me with my family and showing.  I plan on being there one day, politics or no politics that is what it is. You re not going to change that aspect of life or this industry.  What I want to complain about, and it seems that the feeds are getting off topic, is that it took McClintock 3 days to get it right, There was no earthly way to follow the man, and By his own admission he lost cattle. 
He picked kids that did not deserve to win or make a sale hole because, (he/she) could not show. that is my point.  His decision is final, its over, Lets move on and do a better job next year.  I for one will "Never" show under McClintock. This is my personal vow or Boycot if you will, The man is not a good judge, I don't know what else I can say.  in his own words. He Sucked!!!

chambero

Brenda:
The Grand steer has won quite a bit all year under a bunch of different judges.  The Shackleford kid's dad is the ag teacher in Prosper.  His kids - as in his own and his students - have been winning a lot for years.  Prosper is wealthy little town so most of his kids have the money to buy elite calves, but they win  at the end because Wade knows what to do with them and how to teach kids.  This wasn't a case of little rich kid trying to buy a win.

Bonham snaps up any calf off any ranch and out of any sale and gets them resold because of the help he gives.  People like to sell their best to him because he gets them in good hands.

McClintock is about as non mainstream as a major steer show could get.  He may have swerved a little bit here and there, but generally he "kept it in the road " in my opinion.  I really doubt he knew who hardly any of these kids were, let alone based his decisions on it.

It takes a lot of years to get good at this and if you do it long enough you learn to appreciate how hard it is to do very well consistently.

knabe

my guess is that the judge was more consistent than heatwave.

from what i can gather, it's probably harder to judge a slick show than a clip show. 

it seems that where the clip shows are, they were instituted to make things more fair and to reduce bellyaching because the people that won were better clippers or hired the clipper or something to complain about.

kobo_ranch

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Ok then... if this is a true story... I rest my case

Really?  They picked the Shackelford steer to take overall?  Wow, that’s going way out on a limb.  He really picked a $40,000 Bonham Charolais steer fed by the son of the most successful show steer oriented ag teacher in the state?  What stocks does he like over the next year?

Kobo, I’ll be honest.  I was starting to respect you over time.  You seemed to be a good natured guy who was trying really hard to improve his cattle.  Unfortunately, like all of those who are petty at heart, you have shown your true colors now that you hit a bump in the road.  Read this slowly….YOU - DIDN’T – EVEN – SEE – THE - STEER.
Jeff... I"m not a guy I'm a gal!  The B.O. part of the KOBO... my guy doesn't even turn on a computer!  We are good natured regular country folks back working and running the same ranch I grew up on after years of working out on our own.  Now doing both.  I showed cattle as a kid and loved it, and helped my Dad raise commercial cattle, sheep and goats all these years.  We bought our own herd out of OK couple years ago.  I was trying to courteous before when I said I'm sure you know tons more than I do...   To clarify AGAIN I was just saying if the quote from blurytx WAS true it sure sounded like it to me.  Didn't say IT WAS  ... you may consider it being 'petty' when you hear people complain about these kinds of things, but I'll bet the kid standing next in line (or his parents) might disagree with you!  Hell we've hit a bunch of bumps in the road... no big deal to me!  You don't even know me.  If you did you would know I love to  (argue)!   (lol)
Kinda makes me wonder though why you're getting so upset... are you saying it NEVER happens?  (Read this slowly...I'M NOT SAYING THE STEER WASN'T DESERVING OF IT...
I wouldn't have known IF I had seen it!!  
By the way we do have a handful of bull calves and heifers for sale now at our ranch... all $1000-!500!  

ps)thanks Chambero for the clarification... I thought that I've seen that name several times in the ShowBox... Still it's still a whole lot about who has the most money in the end, not always but alot of the time!  I just sometimes have to question what its really 'teaching' our children in the end.  I also don't appreciate someone suggesting that the average family can't or doesn't try hard to win... anyone (with money) can BUY experience and hired labor. Call me conservative... I was raised by a child of the depression!

afhm

stangs13 said:
Im talking about the bonhams.... The bohnams can produce or find a good one, sell a good one, raise a good one, slick, or hair. Its not so much the families down here, if you are sold a bonham calve, they take care of you and help you get the animal along.  Thats were I am wondering what politics have to do with anything...how is the judge supposed to know that a certain calve is from one place or another??

The amount of help they actually give is greatly exaggerated.  If one pays attention they will notice the families that get the help are the ones that have the very expensive cattle. When the Bonham cattle started winning a lot in Texas it was because of the addition of Maddox to the staff, he is the one who provides the guidance.  On how a judge is suppose to know where a certain calf is from its called The Show Circuit, National Livestock Exhibitor, The Showbox, some semen catalogs and lets not forget the ever popular phone call.  It would be interesting to see all the phone numbers of the incoming calls to any judge's phone before a show. 

Bradenh

Jeff schroder is right on ....... If I remember the res grand steer in Houston came from that same town and that definatly reflects on the ag teacher there knowing his stuff on the steers....... And that steer wasn't the most publicised steer in the show box (he wasn't even the most popular Charolais steer ....... He won because he was the best steer there

stangs13

To be honest with you, and from someone who has livestock judging running thru his veins, I get sick and tired of talking reasons...I wouldnt mind hearing reasons with a little bit of a twist in them, maybe more slang... And could you imagine going through 500 head of cattle a day and giving reasons?? I think everyone needs to lighten up on that some..im not saying its okay to just come out and say a kids calf just flat sucks..but really. You should be satisfied with raising an animal from a small calf, grooming, feeding, and just raising the animal and knowing you have done everything in your power to get to where it is now..I have yet to walk out of a show ring not feeling on top of the world for that reason. To each there own I guess.

I also want to know how the judge got to judge the steer show at SA, if no one likes him?

johnwayne

I also want to know how the judge got to judge the steer show at SA, if no one likes him?

You can thank Glenn Allen Phillips, Last year he took it upon himself to pick the judge, if you want you can blame or thank him for this wonderful selection.  If he wanted to stir it up he did, Although, it is my opinion that this was not a step in the right direction.  I feel a kid should be able to show their animal. It was evident to me that this was not this judge put emphasis on. 

Latest posts