San Antonio Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

cdcccfite

Good Morning to all.  I have been waiting all weekend to vent.  My 11 year old son had a light weight AOB that broke at the top of his class.  Mr Shacklford used him for reserve cross at our county show.  He was by far the best slick calf we have ever hauled.  As we lined up to enter the ring our county agent walked the line and made the comment that there was nothing in the class like him.  He was sound, thick , and correct apparently this is not a good combination for this judge.  He was shown well in the class.  There was a young lady that had a good steer about two spots down from us.  As McClintock came around to feel of our cattle he had already pulled nine head.  None with as much muscle or thickness as the two steers mentioned above.  After feeling and looking at both steers he went back down the line and pulled a steer that had rubbed the majority of his hair off both sides and when he turned to walk out of the line was so crippled I did not think he was going to make it to the center of the ring.  All of that being said congratulations to everyone who had one branded.  It will be a long time before we waste our time, our money, or our cattle in San Antonio.

JSchroeder

That's just the difference between major shows and county shows.  If every steer that went reserve breed at its county show made the first gate cut the show still wouldn't be over.

cdcccfite

I realize the difference between a county show and a major.  My dad was a Texas Ag teacher for 33 years, mainly worked with steers. I showed and enjoyed sucess.  The point I am trying to make is this was a good slick calf with very few holes that was either lost or overlooked because of an incompetent judge.  It has happened to everyone at a major and we are no exception.  I don't mind being beat by better cattle.  I can not stand it when cattle are pulled with out a valid reason.

Simmymom1

Is that the calf that Jacob sold that got Reserve Grand Champion Steer?  If it is,  then she has done well with him all year long.  Congrats to everyone!!

steer-guy

well, I will say a couple of things here. I know exactly where the Res champion was first sold here in Texas. He is a Milkman steer. I place two bids on him and he quickly went way out of my range. Which hands he ended up in, I couldn't tell you. But I do know where he started. I will admit, he stuck out from all the other calves there. Very good.

2nd) I a lot of cases, I know politics plays a huge part in the top winners in the majors. A few years ago while showing at the Star of Texas, I happened to be talking to the mother of the boy that won the show that year. I knew them on a personal basis. She told me how well they knew the judge and he was actually a friend of the family. After that I stood by some people from our county and told them that I'm going to tell them what steer is going to win the whole show as soon as he walks in the ring. They didn't believe me of course but guess what! I nailed it! As soon as he walked in the ring I said "there he is"... As he walked by in the ring, the guys I was talking to said "no way". This steer was extremely toed out on his front legs. I'm not talking slightly, I'm talking to point that he kicked his front feet out when walking. He went on to win the show. Needless to say, people were in shock!!

qbcattle

Growing up i always thought that politics was a variable that had to be in place in order to win a major. I am not going to dare say that politics is completely absent but over the past couple years I have been surprised and have gained hope that these shows are not "rigged". As a kid i thought that the people that won these shows were some "supernatural" kinda of people kinda how most people view celebrities or professional athletes. However,....

2005 Grand Champion Steer San Antonio came out of the middle weight  limmi class. My boss raised the steer. At this time he had only one cow with club calf genetics in his herd, for he ran a Limousin and Angus Seedstock operation. He always showed one of his own purebred limmi steers every year and did quite well, but in 2005 he had the champion calf that was born and raised virtually right before my eyes, was taken to only one local summer show and stood 3rd due to his young age. Went to our county show and received reserve grand due to his little hair. Finally got him up to 1275 for San Anonio and the calf goes in and wins the deal with absolutely no strings attatched.
  2 things happened that day that I was always told never do.
      1. A calf and family with no political ties won a major.
      2. The calf was a purebred.

Idk about this years political situation at San Antonio but I do know that the champion was legit and the judge was inconsistent.

chambero

Don't remember exactly, but they were both over 1315 (the med wt break).  Probably between 1315 and 1350.

stangs13

qbcattle said:
Growing up i always thought that politics was a variable that had to be in place in order to win a major. I am not going to dare say that politics is completely absent but over the past couple years I have been surprised and have gained hope that these shows are not "rigged". As a kid i thought that the people that won these shows were some "supernatural" kinda of people kinda how most people view celebrities or professional athletes. However,....

2005 Grand Champion Steer San Antonio came out of the middle weight  limmi class. My boss raised the steer. At this time he had only one cow with club calf genetics in his herd, for he ran a Limousin and Angus Seedstock operation. He always showed one of his own purebred limmi steers every year and did quite well, but in 2005 he had the champion calf that was born and raised virtually right before my eyes, was taken to only one local summer show and stood 3rd due to his young age. Went to our county show and received reserve grand due to his little hair. Finally got him up to 1275 for San Anonio and the calf goes in and wins the deal with absolutely no strings attatched.
  2 things happened that day that I was always told never do.
      1. A calf and family with no political ties won a major.
      2. The calf was a purebred.

Idk about this years political situation at San Antonio but I do know that the champion was legit and the judge was inconsistent.

Was this the steer out of Amy Jo DHAN?  I remember a purebred limi winning it a few years ago...he has been thicker than most steers have been lately IMO..atleast he is more expressive. Quite like the steer that won houston in 2008..what a freak!

qbcattle

stangs13 said:
qbcattle said:

Was this the steer out of Amy Jo DHAN?  I remember a purebred limi winning it a few years ago...he has been thicker than most steers have been lately IMO..atleast he is more expressive. Quite like the steer that won houston in 2008..what a freak!

Yes he was, it was actually her first flush after she won San Antonio. And I agree the thickness of that calf was unreal

afhm

LilJoe1991 said:
Who one the show and who got Res.??? and where did those steers come from?
Taylor Shackelford won with a steer Brandon Horn raised.  Kacy Bland was reserve witha steer from Brian Martin and Bill Cody.

jbw

I thought the Res. was from Jacob Tusa and Kirk Roecker.

chambero

Tusa is advertising it on his website and Bill Cody is in the photo.  I imagine that steer had a round about path to its final destination.

I believe Mr. Horn has it "going on" with his cow herd.  Breeding two Grand Overalls at Texas Majors in three years is something.  I don't know of anyone but Korky Wise with that kind of record.  I don't remember for sure if he pulled of two grands or not.

Simmymom1

;D  It was bought from Jacob's sale he had last year right before the Houston Steer Show.  I guess that it then made its way to Bill Cody. 

horseshoe b

i was not there but a realiable source told me{ a blind man could have found the champion, he was that good , after that  in his own words " he sucked"}. we don't go to sa because they don't pay, one day if the sale is better i may go....         

May Cattle Co

"I believe Mr. Horn has it "going on" with his cow herd.  Breeding two Grand Overalls at Texas Majors in three years is something.  I don't know of anyone but Korky Wise with that kind of record.  I don't remember for sure if he pulled of two grands or not."

--I agree Brandon Horn has it going on but i'd have to say you would need to put Mike Mimms in that group as well.

forbes family farms

The Johnson County fair  steer judge we had last year was really nice we took his time and looked at every calf out in the ring took along time but was really nice and let the kids one at a time have their time.

qbcattle

chambero said:
I believe Mr. Horn has it "going on" with his cow herd.  Breeding two Grand Overalls at Texas Majors in three years is something.  I don't know of anyone but Korky Wise with that kind of record.  I don't remember for sure if he pulled of two grands or not.

That is no lie, I got the privilege of riding around with Brandon looking at his cows a while back. And not only is he smart and very very detailed with his breeding and maintenance of his herd but his cows were solid and impressive from the very top to his very bottom. Not hardly a slouch in the entire bunch, never been to a place like that before. Very impressed with Brandon and his cattle.