Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Has there been any problems in Eastern Kansas with cows sticking with the heat and humidity. I remember one hot year where there was a conception problem. We had like three weeks over 100. Don't know if bulls weren't working or it screwed up the cow side with ovulation or what.

aandtcattle

Thank you to all of you for such a warm welcome to SP. And Emily, you are welcome anytime for a full tour of our ranch, just make sure you have plenty of time.  Tom and Tracy Asher from south-east missouri were just here last month and we looked at cows for 6 hours!  Sue and Trevor Grey were here before so you can ask them about it.  Look forward to being a part of the shorthorn club on here, thanks again.

r.n.reed

I would recomend the A&T tour as well,just pack a helmet and parachute!

aandtcattle

Slowly gettin better.  I am weaning myself off the oxycodone but feel like I have become dependent on them a little.  Still shuffling around like i am 90 years old and cant do everything I want to, cant ride a horse for at least another month but at least i can crawl up on a tractor and feed now.  Injuries like this really makes a guy thankful for his health when he is healthy!!  I dont think I will complain too much about smaller problems from here on out.  I just cant help but think how bad it could have been.  You might have had to come back west to help throw me in a hole if it would have been much worse!  Good to see you on here.  How are the 4508 calves shaping up with age??????

r.n.reed

Glad to hear you are getting better,you should of been on a Thoroughbred she would of thrown you far enough you wouldn't of had to worry about coming back down on the saddle.If its any consolation I would of come back to help bury you.The 4508's are lookin good and have weaned well,I'll send some pictures when I get the chance.

trevorgreycattleco

aandtcattle said:
Thank you to all of you for such a warm welcome to SP. And Emily, you are welcome anytime for a full tour of our ranch, just make sure you have plenty of time.  Tom and Tracy Asher from south-east missouri were just here last month and we looked at cows for 6 hours!  Sue and Trevor Grey were here before so you can ask them about it.  Look forward to being a part of the shorthorn club on here, thanks again.

Doesn't get much more real world than that. I saw the feeders with grass growing up all around them. Didn't look as tho much creep feeding was going on lol. Saw some good cattle tho and met a good friend in the process. Careful folks, if we are not careful, this shorthorn breed may be moving toward a commercially accepted beast.

sue

Ok can we list the calving ease bulls again that are solid red?

M Bar

Aaron, didn't know you got bucked off.  Must have bee trying to throw a loop too far........If you just check the ones that got marked from the bull, it makes for a shorter day.  You better get ready to come to Denver, we are taking a load and they all look really good.  Sommer has been breaking them and they are pretty darn good.  put nose rings in the bulls today, so will have to ask another 5 bucks per head to re-coup the money spent.  On another note, we will be serving the first offering of the 2011 great state feedout steers at our pens in the yards in Denver (mountain oysters).  Be there on Friday afternoon for oysters and look at the bulls.

jaimiediamond

tomorrow I will gather the bulls everyones posted and list them alphabetically with EPD's  and pictures if they are available, this should help all of us look at them again without wading through hundreds of posts! If there are some I missed on the list I would appreciate the corrections or additions!!! One thing this thread really shows is that there are a lot of light birthweight bulls from various bloodlines (thumbsup)

aandtcattle

Sounds good to me Troy, I will be there and I'm glad to hear they look so good.  I have grown to love Denver but have a lot more fun when I dont take cattle.  It's just too much of a rat race for me.

M Bar

We can always use some help.  Going to try to post some pics next week if we can get the calves to cooperate.  I am busy waiting for KSU to play Gonzaga tonight on ESPN2, so wasting time on the computer.  Sue, add JG Red cloud to your list of polled red bulls with low BW's

aandtcattle

We have mentioned most of the solid red calving ease bulls that I can think of right off the top of my head but where it gets so interesting is looking at all the sons out there sired by these bulls.  There are a lot of calving ease "prospects"  that are not proven well enough at this point to call them calving ease sires that if they pan out and transmit shorter gestation and easy calving cattle this list could get fairly large.  As I have said before, we just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other and make progress with every step.  Cattle production is painstakingly slow and requires patience.  There is a huge generational gap we modern breeders must compensate for but I beleive the rewards that we could reap from our dedication to breeding better, more productive shorthorns could be HUGE!

aandtcattle

Another calving ease bull that I have in my tank but havent used yet is KL Double Duty.  He is solid red and think should be thrown in the hat as well.  What about ML Cabela?  It sounds like he would fit the discussion as well, according to Harold Bertz, he is throwing small easily born calves.