Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

jaimiediamond

Davis Shorthorns said:
thunderdownunder said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
That is impressive. Thanks Jaimie! I like the Kookaburra bull alot as well. 29 red bulls is a good starting point. How many of these bulls were "show bulls"? I'm guessing very few.

Of the four I've just posted, three haven't been shown.. you can see which one has! And he's well and truly proven himself as a sire, he is standing at Dunbeacon Shorthorns- home of Venture.
Kookaburra was overlooked for the show string, and then went on to do an outstanding job for the Belmore stud. I have an absolute cracker of a heifer by him. He's available in North America.

Where can you find it?   What frame score is Kookaburra?

There was a limited amount of The Grove Kookaburra semen in Canada (I believe its sold out), and I don't believe that shipment was eligible for the States. 

thunderdownunder

jaimiediamond said:
Davis Shorthorns said:
Where can you find it?   What frame score is Kookaburra?

There was a limited amount of The Grove Kookaburra semen in Canada (I believe its sold out), and I don't believe that shipment was eligible for the States. 

I'd have to check, because I'm sure he was collected for the US after some clubby interest.

knabe

aj said:
Could you have jit put a star by the bulls he approves of?  :)

so you disapprove of them all?

personally, i'd flush the dottie cow the leader 6th or one of those two sons.  i guess in a way i'm glad i didn't get into shorthorns.

jaimiediamond

So I have added some bulls to the list I went with bulls with BW EPDS under 0  and that they had to have semen available.  I also corrected 7026, I had not put the right information in. Oops!

Attachments

• 11252010Shorty Heifer Bulls.pdf
    251 KB · Views: 75
  • 7026AI.jpg
    7026AI.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 107

trevorgreycattleco

IMO 7026 has been the best bull available for some time for my situation. I used a son of him for two years and sue's bull Captain may end up outproducing his papa.  7026 lived over ten years breeding lots of cows. More bulls like him will open all the doors we need. He was before his time.

M Bar

7026 is out of countess 9101, who is the dam of countess 9302.  you might recoginize her as the cow/calf pair that ASA ran a pic of for years.  She is a foundation cow in our herd.  She produced countess 9041, who is a red cloud daughter.  We will have a bull calf from her at Denver.

sue

M Bar said:
7026 is out of countess 9101, who is the dam of countess 9302.  you might recoginize her as the cow/calf pair that ASA ran a pic of for years.  She is a foundation cow in our herd.  She produced countess 9041, who is a red cloud daughter.  We will have a bull calf from her at Denver.

Sired by 7026?

M Bar

Red Cloud 7026 =  JG Red Cloud X Countess 9101
GFS Countess 9302  =  J &E High Hope X Countess 9101
M Bar Countess 9041  =  JG Red cloud X countess 9302

On another note, K-Kim Gold Count 22P = K-Kim Gold X Countess 9302

sue

7026 is dead.  call the owners for semen. Harold at Meadowlane or Bill, at Creastmead Farms

Okotoks

M Bar said:
Red Cloud 7026 =  JG Red Cloud X Countess 9101
GFS Countess 9302  =  J &E High Hope X Countess 9101
M Bar Countess 9041   =  JG Red cloud X countess 9302

On another note, K-Kim Gold Count 22P = K-Kim Gold X Countess 9302

Looks like you also use WAUKARU GOLD MINE 6049.Would you add him to the heifer bull list? his sire is on it.

Okotoks

I thought the newest list from Jaimiediamond was hard to notice so I am reposting it. Photos for a lot of them start on page 39 and go through page 40.

Attachments

• 11252010Shorty_Heifer_Bulls.pdf
    251 KB · Views: 200

Durham

I have to wonder why no one has mentioned a bull called Conquest 62K. I doubt there is a living proven bull today that can match his direct calving ease and his birth EPD. He is coming eleven years old and still seeing natural service. I imagine he will still be breeding cows at 15 years of age.

Okotoks

Durham said:
I have to wonder why no one has mentioned a bull called Conquest 62K. I doubt there is a living proven bull today that can match his direct calving ease and his birth EPD. He is coming eleven years old and still seeing natural service. I imagine he will still be breeding cows at 15 years of age.
This must be the one, JR CONQUEST 62K, *x4092075 PHA-F TH-F               
Calving ease +13.1 BW minus 5.9 WW +12,  YW +18,  milk +1
Impressive, there are probably a lot more bulls out there we have not heard about!
He's a grandson of MEL-BAR RODEO DRIVE 347. Would 347 be the best Rodeo son?

aandtcattle

Yeah, I dont know why we all over-looked Conquest?  Moderate framed, solid red very easy calving.  The fact that he is not appendix free is why I have not used him but for commercial guys I think he may be worth a shot and also for those purebred people not concerned with being appendix free.

aandtcattle

As for the statement about him probably breeding cows when he is 15 is debateable.  I bought Max when he was 8 and thought he would breed for another 4 or 5 years as sound as he was.  I got one season out of him.  It really depends on the scenario a bull is being used in.  If Conquest is being used in small, smooth lush pastures, he might have a chance of lasting a few more years but if he is running in big rough, dry pastures with 75 plus cows and multiple bulls, the odds are stacked against him.

sue

Hey Jeff.  Post a picture and maybe someone will use him.