Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

aandtcattle said:
As for the statement about him probably breeding cows when he is 15 is debateable.  I bought Max when he was 8 and thought he would breed for another 4 or 5 years as sound as he was.  I got one season out of him.  It really depends on the scenario a bull is being used in.  If Conquest is being used in small, smooth lush pastures, he might have a chance of lasting a few more years but if he is running in big rough, dry pastures with 75 plus cows and multiple bulls, the odds are stacked against him.
Did you weigh him out, or did you collect him first?

GB

trevorgreycattleco

Gb I believe he has been collected.
How big are the mature females out of Conquest?

A Rodeo Drive descendant that has that low a BW number is pretty cool.
347  IMO was the best R.D. son I have used. Still to big for me but better than the sire.

Durham

The Conquest cows that we have are really disciplined in their mature size. Better than any other Shorthorn bull I have used. I sold a lot of heifersat weaning the 2 years I used him naturally because they were not "powerful" enough for me. Still regret it today. They honestly are frame 4 to 5 cows that weigh 1250-1400 lbs. in a 5-6 bcs. They do not have perfect udders, but they are better than average in the breed for sure. I sold my first 2 open Conquest daughters this fall, however, I ran the bull for only 35 days (turned out may 25) and these were both end of April calvers. The bull will give you more color than you like in places, and will leave some horns/scurrs now and again. But I only have ever been made aware of two calves ever being assisted at birth out of him. He sure is an easy calving bull, unlike many that are touted for this task today.

trevorgreycattleco

Okotoks said:
I thought the newest list from Jaimiediamond was hard to notice so I am reposting it. Photos for a lot of them start on page 39 and go through page 40.
Here we are 43 pages in to this deal and no Gizmo on the list or a son. I have heard semen is high on the bull? Surely with where he comes from and how he is bred, he deserves to be on the list. Is semen sold out? What is his best son? sjcattle, I believe this is where you come in, or perhaps the owner of Gizmo. Your screename eludes me at the moment.

Good to talk cows again. <beer>

Koulee

I think you have a good start on a list of heifer bulls and I would like to add a few more.  I think all these bulls could be considered for use on heifers. 
JR Red Ryder 92F
Byland Pattern
RS DV 034 322 09
RB Eagle 226th
Homedale Blizzard
AR Apache 3A
AR Cherokee 134B

sue

Hey- here are two A&T Captain Obvious daughters i just videoed for our PT sale.  Take a look--- I wouldnt call them dinks and the first calves by them look like keepers. Video would be  Lakeside Dolly 819U  and Lakeside Lily 803U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvYs1k9aAeo

jaimiediamond

Durham said:
I have to wonder why no one has mentioned a bull called Conquest 62K. I doubt there is a living proven bull today that can match his direct calving ease and his birth EPD. He is coming eleven years old and still seeing natural service. I imagine he will still be breeding cows at 15 years of age.

I only listed bulls that people had mentioned in the forum prior to page 39!  I will be keeping the spreadsheet up to date and will constantly keep searching for other options as well as checking for other peoples addtions!

garybob

Koulee said:
I think you have a good start on a list of heifer bulls and I would like to add a few more.  I think all these bulls could be considered for use on heifers. 
JR Red Ryder 92F
Byland Pattern
RS DV 034 322 09
RB Eagle 226th
Homedale Blizzard
AR Apache 3A
AR Cherokee 134B
Koulee, do the Albaugh Ranch sires' calves have enough "grow" and body capacity to them? Also, what about the shoulder on "Red Ryder"?

GB

DRB

trevorgreycattleco said:
Elbee, how about the best Gizmo son? I finally remembered your screen name I believe?
I presume Elbee will suggest Wymore (ELBEE Leader 321N "Wymore"), semen available at Semex in the US I believe (not Canada unfortunately).  There are some good pictures of him in another thread, search for Wymore.

sue

1) Wymore pic is on SEK genetics web page.  I do love the Elbee Darrel daughters- tons of rib.

2) American Muscle  is another really moderate roan calving ease option ... posted on this very long thread.  I walked through a fairly large  pen of bull calves earlier this fall and he sired my favorite bull calf....from end to end that calf was the thickest and smoothest.

jaimiediamond

Here is a updated list of the bulls.  If there are any more additions please let me know.  Registered names rather than nicknames though easier to search that way!

Attachments

• 12022010 Shorty Heifer Bulls.pdf
    262 KB · Views: 243

justintime

jaimiediamond said:
Here is a updated list of the bulls.  If there are any more additions please let me know.  Registered names rather than nicknames though easier to search that way!

Jaimie,

I noticed that HC FL Touchdown 123T is listed as having a BW of 92lbs. I thought this may be wrong so I checked my calving records from 2007 and he was 82 lbs. I also checked his ASA registration and it also shows 92 lbs so this was either an error in reporting or in processing the information. I had never noticed this before but I will see about getting it changed now that you have brought it to my attention. Thanks!  I may have eventually noticed this, but then, I am getting older and I do forget ... haha

I do remember the day Touchdown was born.  When I found him, I thought for sure that the recip was going to have another calf. She didn't and I was a bit surprised when he weighed in at 82 lbs. He was a very thick calf so I guess this made his BW what it was.

thunderdownunder

jaimiediamond said:

Bundaleer United Chief U21

Durham

sue said:
1) Wymore pic is on SEK genetics web page.  I do love the Elbee Darrel daughters- tons of rib.

2) American Muscle  is another really moderate roan calving ease option ... posted on this very long thread.  I walked through a fairly large  pen of bull calves earlier this fall and he sired my favorite bull calf....from end to end that calf was the thickest and smoothest.
I think one should be really careful before you use American Muscle on heifers. I have yet to see a calf under 110 lbs. They wouldn't work in many western scenarios. Possibly if you keep them in the lot and monitor them pretty closely you may get by.

Koulee

Garybob,

I have not had any experience with the Albaugh Ranch sires.  I know that they are dual purpose and I do not have enough grass to support that much milk.  Red Ryder I have only seen in person once when I was just starting in the shorthorn business.  I do not recall the shoulders, but I do remember that he had one of the largest hindquarters that I have seen in shorthorn breed.  He would be ranked with Eionmor Ideal 69F.  Jeff Schmidt did say that you had to sort through the calves. 

I bull that very few people know about is JR Energizer 37E.  This bull does carry birth weight, but his daughters were some of the most productive at JR Ranch. 

Doc

One bull that I have had real good success with on hfrs is Pa Do Boxer . I never would have thought it with the way he is bred. I bought some eggs one time from Pa Do , had good success with them. Bought some more & in talking to Don , he said that the last 4 years that he used Boxer he used him on hfrs. When I got my eggs from him , he had stuck a few canes of Boxer semen in there. They make great momma cows also. I think he was an under used bull , due to the fact after he won L'ville they were charging $50/straw for semen with a 10 unit min.

sjcattleco

trevorgreycattleco said:
Elbee, how about the best Gizmo son? I finally remembered your screen name I believe?

I am going to wade in on this one... I think I may have as much Gizmo influence in my herd as Lee does.  As far as the best Gizmo sons go if you want to talk in terms of bulls with semen available to my knowledge there are only 2 Wymore and Elbee Gizmo's Image. I owned Image!  The most fun I have ever had was in Louisville showing that bull. It was the most fun getting last place I have ever had... The traffic around him in the barn was awesome and so were the majority of the comments but standing in the ring with bulls that were 12 inches taller 400 lbs heavier and had half the muscle he did was a blast!  I honestly think Image was one of the best bulls I have ever seen bar none.  Gizmo was great but Image was thicker, more muscle expression,and  more masculine. He was the extreme that I needed to get me down the path that I wanted to be on and was what allowed me to eventually produce AM. For those of you that are familiar with linear measurement Gearld Fry scored Image at 2 and said he was one of the highest scoring bulls he had ever done. 

trevorgreycattleco

Durham said:
sue said:

I think one should be really careful before you use American Muscle on heifers. I have yet to see a calf under 110 lbs. They wouldn't work in many western scenarios. Possibly if you keep them in the lot and monitor them pretty closely you may get by.

Are you having the calves or just hearing through the grapevine? I find that hard to beleive. No offense just seems weird.