Sullivan's Sale Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

nice looking bull.  nice nuts, pigmented.  for me, i'd like him a little shorter, a little deeper chested, he's smooth, good length of spine, hip, front end.  seems like a balanced bull that could use a tick more bone and depth, and probably for some some muscle but i don't know what he was doing before the pic.  nice bull.

aj

knabe (clapping) I had a yearling bull cover 17 head this summer. I just don't get it. The timeline bull covers 6 cows a year? Does he breed one cow at one place then is hauled to another farm to breed one cow?

knabe

aj said:
knabe (clapping) I had a yearling bull cover 17 head this summer. I just don't get it. The timeline bull covers 6 cows a year? Does he breed one cow at one place then is hauled to another farm to breed one cow?

are you going to register them all?  how many opens/lates do you have each year?

aj

Is there a canadian shorthorn website? Does Dixon have a website deal? Huberdale probably has one I can look it up. DR schantz........that name sounds familiar. D o these herds have calves on the ground I could look at? What does it take to get a passport? How does the money deal work? A USA dollar is worth so much Canadian money?And this rate of exchange changes everyday? One thing I always wondered about was the Timeline bought with Canadian money? I assume he was cause he was bought by Canadians. Why does this canadian money value of the bull exchange perfectly to 20,000 $ American dollars. Did the Canadians use USA money? Or did everybody decide they use Canadian money and value the bull at a certain value that would exchange exactly to 20,000$ for marketing purposes? The exchange rate always confuses me. Is there a web site that lists the daily exchange rate between American money and Canadian money? What if you valued the bull at a value that changed right before closing and the exchange rate dropped 1 cent. Then the bull would have been valued at 19,999$ and 99 cents. That almost seems cool as a marketing point.

aj

I have heard the States conception rate was figured has had 20% opens the last couple years. I assume the areas that 54 days of heat over 100% degrees this year may be in trouble. If 17 females had a 80% conception rate that equals 13.6 females bred. Is that what you are asking?

knabe

aj said:
Is that what you are asking?

i want to know your herd statistics.

also, your questions are rhetorical.  if you were really interested in the answer, you would just pony up some money and get a passport, go look at some calve and buy a share in the bull.  all you have to do is go to the post office to get your passport, otherwise, your questions are irrelevant.  maybe there is some birth weight semen freezing scam at the post office that will stop you from going to canada.  it's probably not worth it.

when's the last time you sold something to canada?

MCC

(argue) (clapping) (lol) <party> (pop) This is getting GOOD. Continue please.

aj

Knabe......what from an IRS standpoint? If the two firms that have yet to have a Timeline calf.......if they would get audited.......can you do tax deducts on a bull that that you have never had possesion of? If you don't have a one straw of semen? I don't know if Canadians even pay taxes? Lets try this Ted Turner has buffalo's(bison...techninically Bison Bison). He buys a 20,000$ Shorthorn bull from his 3rd cousin. He never takes possession of the bull. The bull is never collected. He just stays at his cousins house. If Ted Turner was audited can he be in trouble for deducting the 20,000$ as an expense? What if he was a member of the Beefalo organization. He could claim he was going to raise beefalo but decided against it. Is a membership to the beefalo deal enough to get him off? Is there any precidence as such?

aj

I did find a conversion website. So I am assuming that Timeline brought 20,294$ at the sale. And by coencidence this just happened to be exactly 20,000American dollars? Looks like an online deal would be complicated as heck across the border. If I called ringside to a Canada sale........and I were talking to the ringman.......or lets put it like this......in a canada sale........is the auctioner asking for bids in Canada or American money?

Doc

aj said:
I did find a conversion website. So I am assuming that Timeline brought 20,294$ at the sale. And by coencidence this just happened to be exactly 20,000American dollars? Looks like an online deal would be complicated as heck across the border. If I called ringside to a Canada sale........and I were talking to the ringman.......or lets put it like this......in a canada sale........is the auctioner asking for bids in Canada or American money?

It has been my experience that if the sale is in Canada they are bidding in Canadian dollars unless stated otherwise in the catalog. The exchange rate changes daily , so unless you found a conversiion table for the day that Timeline sold , you don't know for sure what it was. I would presume that it was $20k Canadian. I geuss the big question for me is , How does any of this affect you? Wether he brought $2k or $200k , does it change your world in any way?

knabe

i purchased a share for $2538.95 canadian.  don't know why they couldn't give me a round number.

how many calves are you going to register out of YOUR bull aj, 17?

justintime

Timeline is an excellent semen producer. The owners have decided not to sell semen in Canada or the US simply because by the time the sale proceeds are split 8 ways, they don't think it is worth the bother. I will also say that this is not an unanimous decision, but like any partnership like this, the majority rules. Some of the owners have not used Timeline yet for various reasons. One partner has died and his wife has leased and/or sold most of her cattle. Another firm doesn't AI and in my case, I don't AI as many as I used to. That is why I was so happy to be able to walk him this year. Buffalo Lake used him on their entire herd in 2010 and from the reports I have heard, they have a good set of calves. Like all the other owners who have used him, they report no calving issues. Personally I have not touched a Timeline calf born. Another owner has wanted to use him by AI but both he and his wife have some major health issues so they have been breeding naturally the last couple years.

And besides this, it is not your or anyone else's business whether they use him or not. Everybody put $2500 into the deal when he was purchased. Some were willing to put money up as they did not want to see him go to the US. 
And in regards to the rest of the nonsense you have mentioned, it really is not worth commenting on. For God's sake ( if no one else's) please grow up  aj

aj

Well jit it might be the Canada Revenue Agency damn business. The canada Revenue Agency web site is cra-arc.gc.ca. It lookd like to me a couple of investors are liable for tax fraud to me. JIT why should you or your partners be able to be tax cheats? Now that is integrity! Why do you think you are above the law? How can you make tax deuctions on a bull.....you never see....never use?

aj

Do Canadians set bulls up on appreciation over 3 years? I think here it once was an option to take a one time deduction. Not sure how semen ownership(on semen never collected works).