Sullivan's Sale Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

aj said:
After further thought .......i am owed an apology from frosbite and jamie.........if JIT payed 2500 for his own bull that makes the bull 17,500$. The 20,000 was bad information if not a problem with the truth in advertising agency. Jamie......you must be so proud of yourself.
Hey AJ just keep it to yourself. No one really cares about your opinion or your cattle. Get off your jealous soapbox and start raising something that can get you the attention you keep on begging for.

knabe

showsteernc said:
Hey AJ just keep it to yourself. No one really cares about your opinion or your cattle. Get off your jealous soapbox and start raising something that can get you the attention you keep on begging for.

he gets paid for gorilla marketing of other people's cattle.  probably like 20k or something.

stick

Give it a rest. Lately there has been a lot a bashing on this board. Came here to get away from that on another board. Horseshoe Creek and Waukaru are two of the most respected herds not just in the US but worldwide. Like them or hate them, that's up to you. Use the genetics that work best for you and your situation. I'm sure Grant or Jordans would be more than happy to discuss things face to face.

vet tech

stick said:
Give it a rest. Lately there has been a lot a bashing on this board. Came here to get away from that on another board. Horseshoe Creek and Waukaru are two of the most respected herds not just in the US but worldwide. Like them or hate them, that's up to you. Use the genetics that work best for you and your situation. I'm sure Grant or Jordans would be more than happy to discuss things face to face.
Amen.

sue

Why would you pay a sale manager $2500 plus commission of  the hammer sale price?    This might be why private treaty sales are becoming more popular? 

PDJ

sue said:
Why would you pay a sale manager $2500 plus commission of  the hammer sale price?    This might be why private treaty sales are becoming more popular? 
If I understand correctly, Grant didn't decide to keep an interest until after the hammer fell.  At this point it would be much easier to keep things straight by having 8 people pay $2,500 rather than 7 pay $2,857, and Grant pay the other 7 $357 each for their share.

justintime

Seeing everyone is so concerned about the sale of a bull a few years ago, for the record, here is what happened.
I had intended to keep a 1/3 semen interest in Timeline and had advertised that. That was my intention until about an  hour before the sale when I heard that two groups were forming that were interested in buying him. I spoke with a couple of people from each of the two groups, and told them that if they were successful in buying him, to make it simpler, I would just keep an equal share in him, as all I was wanting was to be able to have semen to use in my own herd.

I had no idea what the bull was going to sell for and when the hammer fell, I was as surprised as anyone. I actually never even saw him sell, as I was called to the phone to talk to an American who wanted information on another bull, just as Timeline entered the sale ring. I had gone into the office to take the call, and I could not understand what the selling price was. After I came back to the sale ring, I asked what Timeline had sold for, and I was told he had sold for $20,000. I was totally surprised ( and happy to say the least!)
After the sale, the group said that seeing there was 8 partners in Timeline, including myself, that each of us should put $2500 in to pay for him. To be honest, it was never my intention to have to pay anything for the share I was keeping, but I may not have made that totally clear when I had spoken to them before the sale. Since I received much more than I was expecting, I decided to not bring this up. The sale manager said it would keep his records straighter, if each of us paid for our share. I went along with this as well, as I did not want to make waves or cause confusion in a group who had thought enough of this bull to pay this much for him. Basically, all that happened was that I paid commission on the $2500 share I retained and I received the balance back when I got the sale proceeds.
Maybe some of you will disagree with me, but I feel that sometimes it is better to work with people rather than make a scene or create commotion. Obviously, there are some on here, who would totally disagree.

So for the record, that is what actually happened. Period!

Pleasant Grove Farms

Maybe some of you will disagree with me, but I feel that sometimes it is better to work with people rather than make a scene or create commotion. Obviously, there are some on here, who would totally disagree.

I think it is also better to be agreeable at times even when you aren't in total agreement.....think there are "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" on this forum;
too many ppl that think they need to be in control, too many ppl that seem to be
insecure so they have to try let everyone know how terribly smart they are by reading
things into situations that never, ever happened.
Congrads for selling a bull at this price; how it all went down, I don't care; I have my
own animals to worry about; worrying about other pple's sure don't help take care of mine.

sue

- Sodhouse Ranch is creating a incredible uniform set of solid red cattle.
There is not alot to brag about for breeders that just want a breed a consistant product without embryo transfer and very little a.i. ( closed herds)- folks that use the same bull lines year after year. They had champion pen of 5 in denver and a recent champion bull at Kansas state fair.    I hope if you are passing thru southwest  Kansas you take time to visit. 

knabe

how many entries were there in the pen of 5?

yes, i agree, that ultimately, one should strive for a closed herd with no AI.

Doc

sue said:
- Sodhouse Ranch is creating a incredible uniform set of solid red cattle.
There is not alot to brag about for breeders that just want a breed a consistant product without embryo transfer and very little a.i. ( closed herds)- folks that use the same bull lines year after year. They had champion pen of 5 in denver and a recent champion bull at Kansas state fair.    I hope if you are passing thru southwest  Kansas you take time to visit. 

I believe that was was Res. Champion pen of 5 Shorthorn Plus out of 2 pens.

sue

knabe said:
how many entries were there in the pen of 5?

yes, i agree, that ultimately, one should strive for a closed herd with no AI.

Hey - I dont know how many pens of 5 showed up in denver. I just know Sodhouse had 10-12 really good bulls in May of 2010.  Like I said closed herd breeding.

For the record- since this is a sull thread : last feb I stopped to see Sull  bulls but also saw heifers for the upcoming sale. The group of fall born hfr, unfit, rough clipped were very very sound - I realize this is a huge ET program and really for the most part the genetics stack up in relation- so yep I did see uniformity and for me the most I have ever seen in a show program. It still gave me thrills - regardless of your goal I think if your a good cattlemen your end result can look the same " in terms of uniformity"!

Hey and since this post involves Horseshoe too- my pick in 2005 donors at horsehoe was the elsie jade line? Presto is just a little more frame then I prefer?  

PLKR

sheps & shorthorns said:
what an auctioneer.... convinced the owner to let him double up the commission...  

so do you advertise the bull as sold for 20000, or 17500?  Does a buyback count?
Let me start by saying I have absolutely no "dog in this fight"  (dog), but why the selling price and exact terms of the sale of a $20,000 bull a few years ago continues to draw attention is a bit confusing. I don't find the situation unbelievable...but if you do, just leave it at that. I'm pretty sure neither the doubters or the believers are going to change their minds.
As for the commission, the additional charge for $2500 on a large sale was probably not a huge addition to overall sale expenses. It appears the auctioneer/sale manager was being paid on the selling price of $20,000 anyway. JIT retaining and assuming the cost of essentially 1/8 of the bull saved the other buyers a little money, but he was also able to have access to semen from the bull...looks to me like it worked out fine for everyone.
Again, I'm certainly not taking sides in this continuing saga...I have never owned a Shorthorn cow and know nothing about any of the breeders involved, but dwelling on this bull deal seems to be a bit overdone.

Shady Lane

To those of you who responded to my thread and gave the information I was looking for, thank you for your response.

To those that  have gone off on an entirely unrelated tangent of nonsense and jealousy, please keep your oppinions to yourself and get a life. If a bull that sold in 2008 is such a hot button in your small worlds, I sugest you get a life. I would reccomend that if you spent as much time and effort improving your own cow herds, marketing your own cattle and worrying about your own affairs that you might be in a much better position overall as Cattleman.

All of this has been discussed previously at great length several times, do a search and you can find posts explaining all of this spanning 3 years.

Since I have all but forgotten about the modest financial cost of a $2,500 investment I would think that the rest of you could do the same?

Frankly I would have to say the purchase of a share inTimeline has been one of the better $2,500 investments I've made? Especially since I returned, MUCH more than this on the very first calf that hit the ground.

Naturally, since Timeline sold in a bull sale in CANADA he was sold in CANADIAN dollars, that would be the currency we use in Canada. Yes the exchange rate varries daily, I have forgotten what it was at the time of purchase since it was entirely irrelevant to the deal as all of the purchasers were Canadian.

In Canada, atleast with my accountant you just add up your total cattle purchases for the year and deduct that from your total cattle sales and adjust your inventories accordingly. You can either be on what is known as a Cash or an Accrual system.

As for Timeline's progeny, they have allready been well accepted and proven.

The current reigning National Champion Female is a Timeline daughter, does anything else really need to be said???

To add to that, Timeline progeny has sold near the top of multiple sales, both Daughters and Sons.

As well, a pen of primarily Timeline sons were the highest performing pen of bulls over all breeds in the Vermillion Bull Test at lakeland College.

There hasn't been a big pile of progeny registered, that is the whole point of forming a Syndicate, it makes the use exclusive. No semen is available for sale to the general public.