The craziest thing you have seen at a cattle show

Help Support Steer Planet:

PaFFA Proud

CarleyE said:
Me and my friend were clipping a group of calves for a sale one year in California, and a bee flew down her shirt while we were clipping.And she ripped her shirt off and ran out in front of a group of families that came to preview calves before the sale. Classical

not as bad as me  ;D out in the barn I had 3 wasps go up in my pant legs(im allergic to them) the pants came right off (lol)
My most recent moment was at the PA beef expo, the ramp between the barns and arena has a in-out areas split off with a rail between the middle. Well my dumb steer got spooked my water going into the drain well he bolted foward, I had to takeboth hands to hold him, i drop my stick well I got it back together then he spookd agian this time my stick go caught between the ramp fence and I tripped right overm stick(bent a nice V in it) and my steer took of right back to his stall that is the same morning both me and him fell on our butts on the icy wash area. What a great firsttime out, hey at least our classes went well  (lol)

Young

One year at the county fair a girl was showing one of our ag teachers calves (first timer green broke calf).  She had it pulled in the chute to get its head clipped.  While putting the halter back on the calf slung its head at her so she popped it one.  The calf jumps back manages to pull its head out of the chute and take off running.  Our fair grounds our in the middle of town with a major highway running through the middle of it so of course this is where the calf is naturally heading.  It manages to get across the road through some yards and in to the river.  It tried swimming across but the bank on the other side was to steep to get up.  After going under a couple of times they managed to get a boat rope it and pull it out.  It showed and won its class the next day.

simmyman67

At the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo this year, I saw and eighteen wheeler truck pulling a tiny little bumper pull trailer and an eighteen wheeler truck and trailer with one little calf.

AKTcattle

CarleyE said:
Me and my friend were clipping a group of calves for a sale one year in California, and a bee flew down her shirt while we were clipping.And she ripped her shirt off and ran out in front of a group of families that came to preview calves before the sale. Classical
(lol) (lol) (clapping) <party>

RidinHeifer

1. me riding my heifer after showmanship

2. Me sitting with my 80+ pound lamb in my lap while I shared my nilla wafers with her.

3. My heifer was originally my dad's "baby" she LOVED him as a bottle calf! This changed after I started training her etc. Well at Master Showmanship at State Fair after getting to see the priceless face she made after the hfr behind her was licking her butt. we were lined up and she saw my dad taking pics in the stands. Needless to say she was standing there staring him down and mooing at him for the last five or so minutes. while all the other cattle were acting stupid and bouncing off of her, she never took her stare off of him. not even when we went to profile veiw.

AKTcattle

Last year at fair I walked into the showring and as the steer was "strutting his stuff" the showhalter just fell off. Keep in mind i didn't put the show halter on :D

itk

For us shorthorn and/or California people I always look forward to watching Don Cardey show. He is an absolute wild card and you never know what he is going to do, but he is in my mind, the best in the country at getting cattle noticed in the ring. One time at Denver I saw him drop a heifers halter, walk around and look at her, then he grabbed her back leg with his hand and set it up better, went back and picked the halter up and continued scratching her belly. The heifer never even tried to get away she just stood there like she was supposed to.

I have seen breeders draw happy faces on their bulls testicles when they thought the judges weren't paying enough attention to scrotal development in classes or when they were worried they might get beat by a bull that wasn't "hung" as nicely as theirs.

My favorite took place at the KJLS more then a few years ago now but a boy showed up with what was one of the poorer steers in the class. While he was showing the steer went nuts, jumped on and dragged the boy. You could tell the boy was hurting but never quit showing. When the judge lined up the class he put the steer about 5 places higher then it should have been. In his reason for placing him that high the judge said "I see how tough this boy is so if I ever run into him later in life I want him to remember me as a friend." The judge didn't even comment on the animal.

Weaverv3

State fair in 09 I think? It was freezing! Someone was trying to fit out their calf but it was so cold the adhesives weren't spraying. So they put it in a bucket of water and then put a bucket heater in it. They were about two aisle over, and I was tying my steer up in the beds after being clipped and all of a sudden, KABOOM! Exploding can! They sent the firetrucks out and everything!  It was crazy all the people that started running to them. I don't think anyone was hurt, but it was very interesting.

steerjock48

at my county fair about 2years ago they were weighing in fat steers while the SW Pennsylvania dairy show was going on and this steer bolted rite off the scales and ran into the show ring and caused a co motion i couldn't help but laugh ;D

SheilAnneDavis

I think it was about my senior year, one of my best friends who is a year behind me at a Red steer that was just nuts for our county fair. They had a hate-hate relationship. The steer spooked at everything, couldn't stand a chain halter and was just nasty. We weight in at a lower arena near the river then have to walk our calves up the hill, past the sawdust piles and into the barn. This calf came up the hill around the sawdust and spooked. I'm not sure what happened besides I think he jumped and bolted. They finally cornered him in the Dairy section of the cattle barn where it took about 6 over 6' tall Dairy cattle owners to hold him down enough to get a halter on him (somewhere along the way he lost his halter). They got him drug back to where he was supposed to be tied and he eventually somewhat calmed down. We gave the Dairy guys a hard time for it taking so many of them to handle one beef steer.

It was a rough year for my friend with that steer. We had a horrible, incompetent judge who was making a habit of coming up on the head of all the calves and rubbing on them. My friend specifically asked the judge not to do that to this crazy red steer because he blew up when his head was touched. Needless to say the judge didn't listen, the steer flipped out and she never got to feel the condition on him and then later the judge at the gall to tell her during reasons the steer would have done better if he wasn't throwing a fit and she was able to feel him. It was an irritation for sure! The calf was bred by our 4H leader and he insisted that we use him in our pen of 3/fitting contest. My friend refused to be in the group with her steer, but there were two of us seniors who were confident in working with the calf despite his attitude. We got through the fitting part of the contest, then were being stubborn and decided we could change him into the show halter in the ring (even if the sound of the chain, which was mostly wrapped in vet wrap, made him flip out.) We eventually got it on him, after he got completely loose in the ring with no halter what so ever. A lot of people who knew the steers issues throughout the week were impressed by us being about to get the halter back on him, just two of us and a showstick amid 30+ steers and kids in the ring. I think everyone was holding their breath waiting for the explosion that never happened as we got him caught again. As you may imagine, she was thrilled to get that steer sold and on his way to slaughter!!

KSanburg

Hereford breeding show in Denver, after the show of course is time to promote your cattle. So this couple were walking through and stooped to visit with one of the breeders across the isle, the man was visiting and looking at information while his wife was standing and looking very bored. This lady was dressed to the 9's with a fur coat. Anyhow this breeders bull lift his tail and with a half cough cover this lady with watery poo from head to toe. The breeders crew and our crew were rolling laughing all the while he was trying to blot up the mess and save his negotiations on this bull. I always wonder if that bull was telling him he didn't want to go to a new home.

cpratz

At my county show about 4 years ago a family brought a steer to county that was beyond crazy. They kept the steer in a trailer the whole week at county. When it came time for the show they backed the trailer up to the show ring and had 4 250 pound guys holding on to the steer. They walked him 5 feet to the show ring and tied him up to a little white picket fence (that we not sturdy at all) the steer dragged the fence all over and the judge just stood there trying not to laugh. The steer was last in the class. My question is why would someone bring a steer that is crazier than all get out to a county show when the steer gets last in his class. The show would be no fun for the whole family!

Steve123

A Carney passed out in the tie out stalls laying between the bedded down heifers.  He still had his pants on so I don't think the heifers got violated. Lucky he didn't get crushed.

b_kackley

Not at a show but at a sale when I was a kid my dad and I were standing around looking at bulls when this rickety pickup goes by the pens with cattle racks on the back. My grandfather who used some words I won't repeat exactly said I hope they are not planning on hauling anything in that. Well we didn't buy anything but on our way home we saw flashing lights and a commotion on the interstate. Low and behold the pickup was pulled off the road with the bull they had bought. Problem was he had both front feet through the windshield and was stuck. I will never forget that image. The only thing that broke the silence was grandpa saying "guess he didn't like the way they were drivin".

aj

Colorado State Fair a few years back. Wasn't eating right. Anyway I was plugged up......so that night I took at least 8 ex laxes. The next day was interesting. I think a few people considered calling 911 with all the noise.

beebe

Seeing 6 foot 4 Ric Hoyt standing behind Denver champion Shorthorn bull and all you could see of Ric was the top of his hat and his legs.