The Red Angus Post

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

cowgirl said:
We got several calves out of Gold Robber and Brown Vaction this year that we were really pleased with.  Gold Robber calves are THICK and are really nice made.  I AI.ed a few heifers this year to 309R, SuperVision, and Shoco Data.

The Gold Robbers are usually pretty good as far as thickness, some of them carry quite a little birth though. I like 309R and have saw some good calves out of him as well. SuperVision and Data are both good bulls - saw a lot of S V calves that I liked and Mary tells me the Data calves are really deep and thick but probably not as clean/pretty as some of the others.

cowgirl

Have you seen any Norseman King calves?  I know alot of people who flushed to him this year.

DL

cowgirl - that is an awfully pretty heifer - tell me about her...

cowgirl

dragon lady said:
She is a Perks Advance 234R daughter out of a 4L Rambo R621 granddaughter (if you are familiar with any red angus bloodlines) 
She was 9 months old when that photo was taken.  She is a big stout, stylish heifer.  I call her Fatty McPhee!

ROAD WARRIOR

cowgirl said:
Have you seen any Norseman King calves?  I know alot of people who flushed to him this year.

I've not saw alot of N K calves myself, I understand his calves are pretty thick, deep and moderate - maybe too moderate for me. 4.5 to 5 frame score. I'm sure after 5L's sale last year we will see alot of progeny from him, until then my jury is still out. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

shortyjock89

Hey there all you Red Angus Experts!  Today I had the opportunity to clip a fantastic Red Angus Heifer.  One of my friends is getting into show cattle (they have a commercial Angus and Red Angus herd) and she bought two Red Angus heifers on the IL State Sale.  Her fans all kinda went bad when it got hot, so the heifer hasnt been babied, and wow she is an excellent female.  She has hair, an exceptional front end, and she is really thick.  I found myself thinking " If she had been in MY show barn, she could have been unstoppable." So now I'm completely sold on this breed and next year at the IL State Sale, I intend on buying a heifer...Unless I find a really good one between now and then.  And this is coming from a hardcore Shorthorn breeder.  My hat is off to your breed...You've come a long way from your "Novelty" days. 

Will

I have a couple more questions.  What are the draw backs of being closely related to King Rob?  What do you know about a bull called Doc  Holiday?  The reason I ask is I recently saw some hiefers that were out of the same sire as he is and the breeder showed me a picture of this Doc Holiday bull when he won Denver.  I thought the females were pretty good. Thank you to all who reply.  I am becoming very interested in the Red Angus deal.
Will

ROAD WARRIOR

The King Robs were usually pretty high performing cattle, lots of rib, guts etc. but were not always the prettiest to look at (nick named King Slob for a reason). Alot of his daughters milked so hard as first calf heifers that they wouldn't breed back and the ones that did by the time they were 5 or 6 years old had blown udders. I saw Doc Holiday win in Denver and a couple of weeks later stand either 2nd or 3rd in class in Ft Worth. Interesting that we never saw him out on the road again. I've not seen many calves out of him and don't know many people that used him, probably more people used his Maternal brother Dr Phil. If I remember right Doc Holiday was a Cub son, I've seen several of his sons and daughters and most of them were alright. Good luck!

Will

ROAD WARRIOR said:
The King Robs were usually pretty high performing cattle, lots of rib, guts etc. but were not always the prettiest to look at (nick named King Slob for a reason). Alot of his daughters milked so hard as first calf heifers that they wouldn't breed back and the ones that did by the time they were 5 or 6 years old had blown udders. I saw Doc Holiday win in Denver and a couple of weeks later stand either 2nd or 3rd in class in Ft Worth. Interesting that we never saw him out on the road again. I've not seen many calves out of him and don't know many people that used him, probably more people used his Maternal brother Dr Phil. If I remember right Doc Holiday was a Cub son, I've seen several of his sons and daughters and most of them were alright. Good luck!
You are right he said the heifers were out of Cub.  They seemed like they all had a great rib shape and nice look to them.  What is the Dr Phil bull like?  Have you ever used the cub bull?  What is your opionion on him? 

ROAD WARRIOR

Dr Phil did some winning on the show circuit, but I guess he was never my type of bull. I have to be impressed by the bull himself to use him and Phil just never did. I never used Cub personally and I really don't have a reason why other than he didn't fit my program as well as some of the other bulls we were using at the time. I do think he is a pretty good bull though.

Show Dad

Will said:
and the breeder showed me a picture of this Doc Holiday bull when he won Denver. 

Will brings up an interesting situation. These pictures of Bulls (or heifers). They can be taken to never show you anything really. They don't let you really compare from one to the next. I tend to use breeders who give me the most unsolicited information. My thinking is then they must not have much to hide and have the customers best interest in mind.

DL

cowgirl said:
dragon lady said:
She is a Perks Advance 234R daughter out of a 4L Rambo R621 granddaughter (if you are familiar with any red angus bloodlines) 
She was 9 months old when that photo was taken.  She is a big stout, stylish heifer.  I call her Fatty McPhee!

Fatty McPhee - very cool - don't know much about RA bloodlines yet, but you guys are teaching me! tx

cowgirl

ROAD WARRIOR said:
Have seen a few Cub calves, but none that really tripped my trigger and haven't seen many Doc Holiday calves either.  I don't think he was used very heavily. Definatly a show bull.

Show Dad

Went to a neighbors last night and saw a steer and a heifer out of C-T Caynon 429. And WOW :eek: they are impressive. Steer very thick. The heifer look great with a nice tight udder. They plan on keep the heifer so will be nice to watch this and see how she holds up in a few years.

ROAD WARRIOR

A few years ago I was at perks sale and saw some pretty good cubs there. I think he kind of follows the pattern of the cow as far as what he produces from what I have seen.
S D- How was the heifers dam bred ?

Show Dad

ROAD WARRIOR said:
A few years ago I was at perks sale and saw some pretty good cubs there. I think he kind of follows the pattern of the cow as far as what he produces from what I have seen.
S D- How was the heifers dam bred ?

RW - I assumed that it was probably out of a son  & AI'd. But will check.

TJ

I've posted pictures of every other breed that I own, so I figure why not post one of my Red Angus females.  Hopefully, she will have me a nice F1 Lowline calf in about 8 weeks.  I like this one, but I am not sold on her udder quality.     

Attachments

• DSC00859.JPG
    DSC00859.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 216

ROAD WARRIOR

TJ - How is the cow pictured bred? Is there a recessive red gene in the lowlines to produce red calves? I guess if not there will be in about 8 weeks.

shortyjock89

ROAD WARRIOR said:
TJ - How is the cow pictured bred? Is there a recessive red gene in the lowlines to produce red calves? I guess if not there will be in about 8 weeks.

RW- There are Red Lowlines, but they are really expensive. 

Latest posts