The Red Angus Post

Help Support Steer Planet:

Red Cow Relocators

whereselway said:
Love this thread!!  It is about time the Reds get some love.  Just wanted to brag a bit on two of my kids' show heifers.  Both come from Tim Shick's TJS Red Angus in Lodge Grass Montana.  Paternal sisters by his Mulberry son Berry Cherry.  Keep up the promo....go RED! BTW RW...Nolind is a super great guy, who knows his cattle!

Just a heads up for you guys, Tim has consigned full sib embryos to our Mulbery Mayhem Event Oct. 26th.RCR

aj

What are Cherokee Canyons downsides? Feet structure? Did someone say something about pelvic measurements? If you used canyon on a shorthorn cow maybe he would work?

BadgerFan

aj said:
What are Cherokee Canyons downsides? Feet structure? Did someone say something about pelvic measurements? If you used canyon on a shorthorn cow maybe he would work?

Maternal Calving Ease was poor.  Daughters required assistance all too often.

TPX

Are you saying that Sakic is a divebomb?  This bull has done nothing but great things for us,  he helped moderate frame, tidy up some utters,  good feet and put some meat in to the bulls.  The female's out of sakic are what he is going to be remembered for.  We will continue to use him. 

Mill Iron A said:
I will second the shout out to TJS red angus they are doing a wonderful job. Gretzky is a really good looking bull with some fabulous full sisters.  However his marbling is not very good and his sire is a divebomb for people who retain ownership.  I would stay away from nebula.  The closest I would go is the high selling bull in larsons sale last year. His pic sucks but the females out of citadel are to die for if you absolutely must stay abs that's my recomendation.

Mill Iron A

TPX if you read that close enough it says he is trouble for people who retain ownership.  Yes he does have some great females including gretzkys full sister who is one of the best. Not all of the bulls have a lot of muscle though. Some are ultra stout and some are just ok.  My point was his carcass is horrible and if you retain it's really hard to mate a bull with no marbling or ribeye. Im not a carcass breeder but I do believe in balance so if you had some good carcass females that needed cleaned up sure I bet he will work for you.

Red Cow Relocators

AJ you may want to look at the RA bull "Toast" for your shorthorns. He should moderate them some and you still get the super Mulberry udders in the daughters. Just a thought. There will also be 4 balancer ET heifer calves sired by the Mulberry bull in the "Mayhem" sale in Emporia, KS on Oct. 26. A little different than the Durham Red deal but on the same track. RCR

Mill Iron A

HXC Conquest has had a lot of high sellers in the past year.  The cattle are moderate, calving ease, lots of muscle, and excellent carcass traits.  The downside would be short and leathery front ends and on the wrong cow could break behind the shoulder.  I think feet are average, to be truthful there aren't a lot of great ones in the breed feet wise.

aj

Thanks guys. I had a shorthorn cow I was considering flushing to a red angus bull. The Conquest cattle might be lighter boned? We got a 3-4 shortie bull calf in that had a 70 sum birth weight that looks pretty darn good. It seems like the Angus influence just gets them up looking like a bull should. Testes and masculine. It seems kinda of interesting that Cherokee Canyon was a bull everyone went ape over then maybe years later maybe not so much. Seems like sometimes you don't know the value of a bull till hes dead.

countyagent

My in-laws and myself breed some of the more successful red angus steers in tx.  have some pretty good heifers too.  we have a few old shorthorn cows running around that were old show heifers we accumulated from students who couldnt hang on to them.  the picture below is out of one of those shorthorn cows and our herd bull...neat lookin, thick made calf.  I just didnt have a use for him.  herd sire is also attached

Attachments

• sale-rb6.jpg
    sale-rb6.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 179
  • spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 185

Latest posts