The Red Angus Post

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Ahhh - got it ! Or maybe they know the secret of the Holy Grail and it isn't what it appears to the observer - so they can't tell you ;D ;D ;D another one of those who's your daddy! Thanks SD, I think I got it!

ROAD WARRIOR

I guess I don't have the secret to the Holy Grail then. I sometimes think that I bore some of the people that come here to look at cattle by telling them too much information about my cows ( 3 - 4 generations on both sides). I don't have many secrets and most of the cattle I sell have registration papers so that kind of lets the cat out of the bag any way.

Show Dad

RW - I would rather be bored with facts than left guessing.

As one gains experience they will ask the right questions. But when I was new at it I did not even know what the questions to ask were. By luck I ran into a couple of breeders like you and took advantage of their knowledge and experience. (According to my wife I still don't know much  ;)).

shorthorns r us

in some instances, the tricky part is knowing if those registration papers in right.

ROAD WARRIOR said:
I guess I don't have the secret to the Holy Grail then. I sometimes think that I bore some of the people that come here to look at cattle by telling them too much information about my cows ( 3 - 4 generations on both sides). I don't have many secrets and most of the cattle I sell have registration papers so that kind of lets the cat out of the bag any way.

ROAD WARRIOR

SRU said:
in some instances, the tricky part is knowing if those registration papers in right.

ROAD WARRIOR said:

SRU - you are exactly right. I know of 1 instance of a guy selling "3 full sibs" out of his Donor cow but when the buyer sent in DNA samples to qualify them to be donors for him as 2 year olds the results came back that none of them were even related to each other or out of that donor cow. My herd consists of my own little genetic projects and very few of them are out of Nationaly known sires that I don't own. I kind of like having an outcross pedigree to all of the big "brag" bulls so I guess I don't have any insentative falsify the registration papers, but alot of people do.

cowgirl

Speaking of Big Brag Bulls...Just got the lastest RA magazine and wondered which of the big name bulls for 2007  you think are just hipe and which ones we will still be talking about in 2 years.  Because some of these bulls have won some big shows in the last couple of years and some have really been promoted.  Curious to see which of these bulls do you think will actually live up to all the hipe.  Some examples--Continunance, Mojito, Ultimate direction, Javelin just to name a few.

Show Heifer

I have seen mojito at Denver both years he was there.....but haven't the others. Are they show bulls?

ROAD WARRIOR

I've not seen the Ultimate Direction bull in person or any calves out of him yet to form an oppionion. I have used Continuance and liked the calves pretty well, good functional cattle. Mojito is pretty course fronted for me and they closed the semen market on him for 2 years when they syndicated him as a calf. I really thought that for as big as he was as a calf he would be bigger than he is as he matured. With a 1000# WW he should have been close to 1700# YW which would make him close to a 3000# mature bull, I don't see it happening. I didn't like Javelin's legs, feet or hip structure and thought he needed more bone, IMO he is a big EPD bull that I'm sure they will sell alot of semen on to people that chase the number game. My pick for "New" RA bulls is probably Red Fine Line Mulberry, tremendous as an individual and I will be watching the calves out of him as they come into public view closely.

Show Heifer

Hey RW, they are claiming mojito to be a calving ease bull.....with those numbers (1000 at weaning?!?!?) do you think he would be? Even with those shoulders (that I agree, seem to be a bit wide)? Do you think they will open the semen on him? 
What kind of cows did you use the Continuance bull on? How did his calves come?

ROAD WARRIOR

I don't see him being a calving ease bull genetically or phenotypically. His dam is a 22D daughter and his sire is 121R, neither of which would be what I consider calving ease bulls. Phenotypically as I stated before he is a little too course in the shoulders to really suit me. But you have to remember that everyone has their own deffanition of calving ease. To some a calving ease bull is one that doesn't hip lock every calf that they produce. My deffanition of calving ease is zero assistance on heifers other than perhaps irregular presentation. Yes they will open the semen market up on him as soon as the time comes, with that kind of investment they will be trying to recoup as much money as they can. The Continuance calves we had came easy enough, no asstance and most were in the 78 to 84#s range. I used him on a variety of cows ranging from Bodacious to C Chief 811 - kind of one extreme to the other.

cowgirl

For those people playing the numbers game wouldn't you go with Six Mile Sakic.    Haven't seen this bull in person, but he seems to be catching quite a bit of buzz lately.  As for Mojito I think they are releasing semen in January of '08.  Alot of his calves will sell this fall and the ones I have seen were fairly low birth weight.  Will be interested to see if they live up to the hipe.  I agree with you RW about Javilen, he could use some more bone. As for %IMF I don't like his legs and he could use more bone and depth of rib.

Show Dad

RW - I am thinking of buying a few heifers out of 5L Norseman King and then breeding them to a Rambo bloodline bull. Any thoughts? Or should I use Rambo heifers?

Thanks for the advise in advance.

ROAD WARRIOR

Interesting senerio - I guess if it was me I would go with the Rambo daughters if I could find them. The Rambo cows are some awesome momma cows or at least the ones I have and have been around. The Norseman King daughters are probably less proven simply for the fact that the Rambo's have been around so much longer. This could be an interesting cross reguardless of wich way you go, keep me posted and let me know how it works out. Good luck!

TPX

As a Canadian Red Angus breeder I think that its great that some of you guys are starting to take notice of the bull power that we have up here.  A few bulls that you mentioned we really like first is the Mullberry bull of brylors he was a great bull to look at and I think that he should pass that on to his calves I also think that his daughters should be good.  Brylor does have some pictures of his calves in his sale catologue on his web page.  The other bull that we know alot about is Red SixMile Sakic, this bull was raised by our neighbours and he was good and was bought by Genex,  he is a bull that not only has good numbers but unlike other bulls with good numbers he has the look, his sire is Sixmile aviator and he was a really good calf out of a real special cow at there place 400f (shes special to us b/c we own the only daughter ever out of her) she has consistently had high selling bulls in there sale.  Lastly a bull that has never failed for us is new trend, we got a really good cow out of him that we are showing this year with a king rob grandson at side and he looks special.  I think that the red cattle a really growing and b/c of that we have stopped our shorthorn program and are looking at turning that over to a durham red program.

DL

TPX said:
As a Canadian Red Angus breeder I think that its great that some of you guys are starting to take notice of the bull power that we have up here.  A few bulls that you mentioned we really like first is the Mullberry bull of brylors he was a great bull to look at and I think that he should pass that on to his calves I also think that his daughters should be good.  Brylor does have some pictures of his calves in his sale catologue on his web page.  The other bull that we know alot about is Red SixMile Sakic, this bull was raised by our neighbours and he was good and was bought by Genex,  he is a bull that not only has good numbers but unlike other bulls with good numbers he has the look, his sire is Sixmile aviator and he was a really good calf out of a real special cow at there place 400f (shes special to us b/c we own the only daughter ever out of her) she has consistently had high selling bulls in there sale.  Lastly a bull that has never failed for us is new trend, we got a really good cow out of him that we are showing this year with a king rob grandson at side and he looks special.  I think that the red cattle a really growing and b/c of that we have stopped our shorthorn program and are looking at turning that over to a durham red program.

(welcome) TPX - as someone who is just beginning to explore the power of the RA bulls I appreciate your insight and input - as well as of course RW and SH friend!

Show Heifer

Welcome to SP TPX!!!

I happen to be at Denver at the Red Angus sale and they sold some Mulberry semen. Can't remember what it brought, but thought it was kinda a deal! Is he available here in the US, or in Canada? What does he work on bloodline wise?

Also, am looking for some Rambo 502 semen.....is it a wee bit hard to locate?

TPX

Thanx for the welcome. Mulberry semen is available in both us and canada if you want more info go to brylors web page he will defenitaly have info there on ordering it and he would be very willing to send you a semen catalogue.  As for 502 semen up here it trades for alot of money and is very hard to come by and you most people just use it in flushes.

ROAD WARRIOR

TPX - welcome, it's good to see another "red" enthusiast join the ranks here. I for one have alot of respect for the bull power you guys have put togather up there. I think the people in the States have gotten too carried away breeding EPDs and forgot that there is a cow that has to go along with them. I've never been known to be real politically correct, but all of the cows I AIed this year were bred to Canadian bulls - Mulberry, Master plan, New Trend etc. Keep us informed on whats going on up there in the Reds if you can.