The Red Angus Post

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

TPX - Welcome to the Planet.

I second the kudos on the good genetics north of the border. RW had mentioned them which prompted me to take a look and wow. I am real interested in seeing some females out of Mulberry. As for Sixmile, my son keeps bringing him up. He has a better eye for cattle than I do, so will be looking to add him to the tank as well.

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Dad said:
TPX - Welcome to the Planet.

I second the kudos on the good genetics north of the border. RW had mentioned them which prompted me to take a look and wow. I am real interested in seeing some females out of Mulberry. As for Sixmile, my son keeps bringing him up. He has a better eye for cattle than I do, so will be looking to add him to the tank as well.
There are a few Mulberry daughters selling in western Kansas at the end of the Sept. These will be some of the first to sell in the states that I know about. I'm planning on making the trip - it also coincides with the convention that is being held in Kansas this year.

jimmyski

There are a few Mulberry daughters selling in western Kansas at the end of the Sept. These will be some of the first to sell in the states that I know about. I'm planning on making the trip - it also coincides with the convention that is being held in Kansas this year.
[/quote]

RW,
Do you know who is selling them? I am also looking at purchasing some females that go back Julian and was wondering what some of your thoughts on the Julian bloodlines are? Thanks for your help.

Jim

garybob

TPX said:
As a Canadian Red Angus breeder I think that its great that some of you guys are starting to take notice of the bull power that we have up here.  A few bulls that you mentioned we really like first is the Mullberry bull of brylors he was a great bull to look at and I think that he should pass that on to his calves I also think that his daughters should be good.  Brylor does have some pictures of his calves in his sale catologue on his web page.  The other bull that we know alot about is Red SixMile Sakic, this bull was raised by our neighbours and he was good and was bought by Genex,  he is a bull that not only has good numbers but unlike other bulls with good numbers he has the look, his sire is Sixmile aviator and he was a really good calf out of a real special cow at there place 400f (shes special to us b/c we own the only daughter ever out of her) she has consistently had high selling bulls in there sale.  Lastly a bull that has never failed for us is new trend, we got a really good cow out of him that we are showing this year with a king rob grandson at side and he looks special.  I think that the red cattle a really growing and b/c of that we have stopped our shorthorn program and are looking at turning that over to a durham red program.
Have you guys let go of your website?

Show Dad

ROAD WARRIOR said:

RW -Thanks for the heads up. Would that be at N Bar Cattle Co.?

TPX

garybob said:
TPX said:
As a Canadian Red Angus breeder I think that its great that some of you guys are starting to take notice of the bull power that we have up here.  A few bulls that you mentioned we really like first is the Mullberry bull of brylors he was a great bull to look at and I think that he should pass that on to his calves I also think that his daughters should be good.  Brylor does have some pictures of his calves in his sale catologue on his web page.  The other bull that we know alot about is Red SixMile Sakic, this bull was raised by our neighbours and he was good and was bought by Genex,  he is a bull that not only has good numbers but unlike other bulls with good numbers he has the look, his sire is Sixmile aviator and he was a really good calf out of a real special cow at there place 400f (shes special to us b/c we own the only daughter ever out of her) she has consistently had high selling bulls in there sale.  Lastly a bull that has never failed for us is new trend, we got a really good cow out of him that we are showing this year with a king rob grandson at side and he looks special.  I think that the red cattle a really growing and b/c of that we have stopped our shorthorn program and are looking at turning that over to a durham red program.
Have you guys let go of your website?
I am not sure what website you would be talking about?

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Dad said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:

RW -Thanks for the heads up. Would that be at N Bar Cattle Co.?

Ya - it is the "fabulous N BAR". I guess you have to know Nolin to appreciate that though. Should be interesting to see this sale.

ROAD WARRIOR

jimmyski said:

RW,
Do you know who is selling them? I am also looking at purchasing some females that go back Julian and was wondering what some of your thoughts on the Julian bloodlines are? Thanks for your help.

Jim

NBAR Cattle Co. is selling the Mulberry daughters in Russel Springs Ks. Don't think you will find any julians there. Not really his type (or mine) of cattle - they tend to be a little smaller framed and lighter boned than what I usually look for, would also like to see better hip and leg structure. If I remember right you like a little smaller frame cattle than I do Jim -he might work for you.
[/quote]

ROAD WARRIOR

That's a 64,000 dollar question. Most of the heifers I have seen him sell (Denver, Louiville, etc) have been in the 3 to 7,000 range. This is the first time he has had a stand alone sale so I don't know what to expect, the other day when I talked to him he was still working on the catalog so it may be nip and tuck as to if it gets out in the mail quick enough. Most of his calves come in mid April through May and June which some people don't like. I expect that there will be some bell ringers there, so I guess that the rest of it is up to the people in the seats.

jimmyski

[/quote]
NBAR Cattle Co. is selling the Mulberry daughters in Russel Springs Ks. Don't think you will find any julians there. Not really his type (or mine) of cattle - they tend to be a little smaller framed and lighter boned than what I usually look for, would also like to see better hip and leg structure. If I remember right you like a little smaller frame cattle than I do Jim -he might work for you.
[/quote]

RW,
You are correct that I do like a little smaller framed cattle. The cattle that I am looking at belong to Jack Roberts out of New Mexico. They are located just outside of Hugoton,KS at his sons place.  Is there any way for me to get ahold of Nolin about his sale cattle? I've been to his place when I was at Colby, since a couple friends of mine worked for him and I liked his cattle. They were a little bigger but I liked them. I might also be headed out to that meeting,l since Jack invited me and it would give me a chance to look at the cattle in Hugoton. Thanks for all your help. If know of any other bloodlines that might fit what I'm looking for and any for sale, I'll talke all the  help I can get.  Thanks again.

Jim

ROAD WARRIOR

Jimmyski - sent you a P M with N BARs phone number. Contact me with what you are specifically looking for and maybe I can help you find it - I go to several sales a year and do some order/phone buying for several people.

jimmyski

RW,
Sent you PM about what I'm looking for and also was wondering if you could tell me anything about the GenEx Bull Red Six Mile Sakic 832S. Thanks again for all your help.

Jim

ROAD WARRIOR

Jim - got the PM, as far as Sakic 832s is conserned - I haven't personally seen the bull but I hear several people talking about him. I kind of like the way he pedigrees and based on his pedigree and the fact that he is a Canadian bull I would guess that he may be a little bigger framed bull than what you usually use. Granted that calves born "down" here will probably be a little smaller frame wise but he is not really bred to be a moderate frame type bull. I would love to see him myself and I will touch base with a few of my "outlaw" Canadian friends and try to get the low down on him. Back to the PM - I will try to keep an eye out for what you're looking for.

TPX

Jim- I have seen the sakic bull in person and he looks really good.  As far as being to big framed I would say that shouldnt be a worry cause both his dam and sire were smaller framed.  Also the SixMile program has been going a little smaller framed over the last few years.

ROAD WARRIOR

TPX - My reference to frame size was aimed specifically to Jim. From past conversations I have learned that he prefers cattle in the mid to low 5 frame score. Didn't mean to imply that the bull was too big for the general public. How does he compare "on the hoof" bulls like Mulberry or Master plan ?

TPX

I cant say that I have seen sakic lately.  He looked good and was a very free moving bull and had a good foot under him.  We were at a show this weekend and heard rumblings that he might be making a appearance on the fall show circuit (it all depends if genex has enough semen on hand to keep up with demand).  There were alot of mulberry calves at the show but they were all heifers and they all looked really good and it kinda made me wonder why there were no bulls.  The masterplan bull is a bull that we use to like but have kinda went away from due to the fact that there has been alot of semen sold on him and we havent really seen that many good calves out of him which we think there should of been.

Show Heifer

Does anyone have a photo of this Sakic bull? Sounds interesting to me....
Also, that is an awesome looking red cow in your photo TPX, what is she???

jimmyski

You can find a photo of Sakic on Genex's website under the Red Angus Herd Sires. He looks pretty good to me.

TPX, could you tell me an approximate frame score on him. Thanks ahead of time.

Jim

ROAD WARRIOR

TPX said:
I cant say that I have seen sakic lately.  He looked good and was a very free moving bull and had a good foot under him.  We were at a show this weekend and heard rumblings that he might be making a appearance on the fall show circuit (it all depends if genex has enough semen on hand to keep up with demand).  There were alot of mulberry calves at the show but they were all heifers and they all looked really good and it kinda made me wonder why there were no bulls.  The masterplan bull is a bull that we use to like but have kinda went away from due to the fact that there has been alot of semen sold on him and we havent really seen that many good calves out of him which we think there should of been.

TPX - My understanding of Masterplan is that he should be a replacement female type bull. Maybe not show ring type cattle but the kind that work for a living in the pasture - may be wrong on that but that was what I was led to believe about him. Interesting observation on the Mulberry calves. Our senior herd sire throws 75 to 80% females every year so we seldom have a show bull out of him, don't know if this is the case with Mulberry though. Somewhat related to this observation, I always liked the New Trend 22D daughters much better than their male sibs but that was just my oppinion. For us the "real" money is in the females anyway so I can live with a bull that produces outstanding daughters.