The Red Angus Post

Help Support Steer Planet:

TPX

First off frame scores are not my strong point and I dont know much about them.  I am surpirsed that genx doesnt have that listed on there site I thought that they ussually had that on there.  As for the cow in my sig she is just a commercial cow that we boight when we started into the cattle business from six mile along with about 19 others.  Chances are she is a pure bred red but she was never registered b/c she didnt look that good as a calf but that just goes to show you that the good ones might not be the best as calves.  We have shown 4 steers out of this cow and done really good with them the bad thing is she has never had a heifer to replace her yet.  I will agree that about trying to produce good females we always think that if you raise good females the bulls will come.  I would like to throw another bull out there for you to think about if you are looking at a smaller framed bull and that is red lazy mc smash, we have seen alot of great calves out of this bull and all we smaller framed, lots of hair and really thick just like him.

aj

I am just weaning off my calves. I have about 30 durham red f-1 calves. I have never seen a better bunch of cattle. The bull calves have masculine early maturing heads with huge testicles. The females are easy keeping shorter framed cattle that are super. I have 9 bull calves that i am testing for th and pha. It is required that durham reds are th clean or they have to be registered as shorthorn plus. The red angus breed is fabulous. I know that composite cattle aren't for everybody but I think the durham red is a heck of a cross and with some linebreeding I think they could do alot of good in the commercial sector. Does anyone know how the gravity bull (abs) worked out. N-bar is only about 60 miles south of me and he has a good program in rough tough conditions. I played on a sub-state champion football team with him in 1975. Anyway, my hats off to red angus cattle and the good breeders. ;D

OH Breeder

aj said:
I am just weaning off my calves. I have about 30 durham red f-1 calves. I have never seen a better bunch of cattle. The bull calves have masculine early maturing heads with huge testicles. The females are easy keeping shorter framed cattle that are super. I have 9 bull calves that i am testing for th and pha. It is required that durham reds are th clean or they have to be registered as shorthorn plus. The red angus breed is fabulous. I know that composite cattle aren't for everybody but I think the durham red is a heck of a cross and with some linebreeding I think they could do alot of good in the commercial sector. Does anyone know how the gravity bull (abs) worked out. N-bar is only about 60 miles south of me and he has a good program in rough tough conditions. I played on a sub-state champion football team with him in 1975. Anyway, my hats off to red angus cattle and the good breeders. ;D
Hey AJ can you post some of those calves pictures?

aj

I don't have a digital camera yet. It seems like that my registered shorthorms really compliment the red angus breed and vic-versa.We have one buul calf with a 80 some # bw that we were thinking about consigning to the kansas beef expo. He should be clean his mother is a smaller framed show heifer that gets fat on air. He is a cherokee canyon grandson. I have 2 other bull calves with bw's in the 70's that are lancer grandsons I like even better. One is out of a th carrier so I don't know how he will test out. I bought a Lancer (ABS) son from larry crouisant(sp) a couple years ago over the phone. When I saw the bull I was a little concerned. I bred him to 20 shorthorn heifers and pulled one of them. The calves jumped up and suckled like crazy. The calves were kinda so-so all summer long. Right now the calves are exploding. I wish i had 100 more shorthorn cows to breed to this bull. Larry's herd is based on multi-trait selection and they are so practical. I hope to buy some heifers from him this winter. The calves that test th  and pha free I am going to do the full range of hair dna test's on for marbling, feed effeciency, and tenderness. I think the lancer bull was perfect starred on carcass trait's if I remember right. I will admit some hererosis is showing in the f-1 cross but I really like the cross. I always hoped to line breed half bloods to half bloods in the durham red program to try and breed consistency into them. Natural selection is so important in selection pressure for the commercial sector anyway. I thought about getting into the red angus 25 years ago when gary roland was breeding them at fhs  but I didn't. Please excuse my excitement but once in a while a plan comes together. :)

OH Breeder

That is cool aj. I appreciate the entusiasm. It is always nice when well laid plans work out.If and when you get a pic or two would love to see them. Glad to have all the Red Angus folks here to get the skinny on the bulls to use.

ROAD WARRIOR

aj said:

NBAR's country will bring you into reality for sure. The cows that can survive and reproduce there can do it pretty much anywhere. You have to respect the surviveability of his herd let alone all of the past show champions. He's a good friend of mine and alot of my cattle trace back to his herd, I have 3 bulls that came from there in use now. Are you going to the sale AJ? Should be very interesting.

Show Dad

I was going back over some old post in celebration of SP hitting the 10K member mark. And being a RA breeder who loves to show RA cattle I thought it would be interesting to pull up one of my favorite RA topics and see how far we have come in 4 years.

To update my posts: I did not buy the Rambo heifers. Which means I also did breed them or anything to the Norseman King bull. (not knocking him just doesn't fit). Instead I traveled out to the "fabulous N-Bar ranch" of Nolin Ward in October of 2007 and bought a heifer out of an up and coming bull called Mulberry (she was the first to sell in the USA). It was a very smart move. She is the top preforming cow on the place so far. Though we have one that will giver her a run for that title over the next few years and guess what, she is a Mulberry too! Our Mulberry's are our top performers.

We have a couple Advancer 121R daughters, a few Whistler cows, a Dr Phil cow (raising one powerful Huckleberry bull calf this year) and some Huckleberry (a Mulberry son) daughters. One of the Huckleberry heifers just was named champion RA at the KS State Fair.

As for bulls, our herd bull is a Huckleberry son out of a Payload cow. We AI with  Mulberry, Stout and Direct Design. And have partnered with some other breeders on an up and coming bull called Make'n Waves. His first calves are due next spring.

aj

Well since my 2007 post.....I am hammering awayat the Durham Red deal. This last summer I didn't turn out one shorthorn bull. The Red Angus-Shorthorn combination is so powerfull. Turned out two full brothers and their daddy as walking bulls. And a grandson of the old Larry Crousaint bull. I have kinda decided that the Shorthorn people don't like the looks of the cattle........cause they look like Red Angus. Breeding alot of half brothers to half sisters. Still think I should start a new breed.jmo

trevorgreycattleco

I am still using some red angus too in my shorthorns.  The best cow I had was bred at Walz Plateau Red Angus in Colorado. She died from a freak accident but I got a daughter out of her that is just doing a wonderful job with her calf. That RA cow was sired by Leachman Sharpshooter out of a Farn Red Rebel daughter. Out of the 35 RA we bought, she was the one pedigree I didnt know much about. Can you tell me anything about the pedigree? #832522.  I crossed alot of shorties on both RA and the black. Its my favorite. This the durham red cow I have out of that Walz cow. This as her and her new calf this past spring. I need to get a new pic of the pair. They look pretty cool right now. Oh Breeder, you need to come back and take some more pictures please!!! ;D

Attachments

• securedownload[1].jpg
    securedownload[1].jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 279

whereselway

Love this thread!!  It is about time the Reds get some love.  Just wanted to brag a bit on two of my kids' show heifers.  Both come from Tim Shick's TJS Red Angus in Lodge Grass Montana.  Paternal sisters by his Mulberry son Berry Cherry.  Keep up the promo....go RED! BTW RW...Nolind is a super great guy, who knows his cattle!

Attachments

• mattie.jpg
    mattie.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 168
  • little mattie.JPG
    little mattie.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 147

whereselway

Thank you, she was in tough company in OK..we were very pleased with the win.  The plans are to make it to KS.  The NAJRAS has done an incredible job with this event.  It is one of the most exhibitor friendly shows we go to. 

aj

I got my abs semen book today. I noticed they had a Red Angus Gretzky bull........by Sakic. He was a class winner in Denver......born 2009. I wonder what the thoughts are him? Moderate growth with high milk. Aren't most of abs's bulls not really showring? The picture of the ABS Nebula scares me. He is supposed to be a low maintenance deal? Thanks in advance.

Mill Iron A

I will second the shout out to TJS red angus they are doing a wonderful job. Gretzky is a really good looking bull with some fabulous full sisters.  However his marbling is not very good and his sire is a divebomb for people who retain ownership.  I would stay away from nebula.  The closest I would go is the high selling bull in larsons sale last year. His pic sucks but the females out of citadel are to die for if you absolutely must stay abs that's my recomendation.