The Red Angus Post

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

We have touched on them on several other threads so I thought we would do a specific thread for them. Questions, oppinions, love 'em or hate 'em - let us know

red

great idea RW! I know that OH B has been talking about them for a while to bred to his Shorthorns.
What are some of the strong bloodlines? Do you have a Junior National show?

Red

ROAD WARRIOR

There is no officail Junior National at this point. We have a national junior show in conjunction with National open show and there has been an attempt to get a summer junior national off the ground but it has met with alot of resistance from the national office. There are several junior programs available - the Red Angus Roundup is a program that rotates from state to state every year and usually includes ranch tours, college tours etc. - the junior stockgrowers contest is held in Denver each year and several states have a junior show in conjunction with their open shows.

cowz

We have a great group of Red Angus in our commercial herd.  Good mommas, good milkers, easy fleshing, great longevity.  Don't be messing with their babies, tho!
We raised a Habenero calf  out of one of our red angus cows that my younger son will show at the fair in a couple of weeks.

garybob

Everyone here, seems to be using Canyon. Scary, as he, with his crappy feet, is the progenitor of 90% of the "Durham red" program of the ASA. I used a bull called NEO-SHO Millenium ( 2 years before Nick Hammett came along), and, got excellent results. He's not a heifer bull, though. Plan on breaking out another straw or two.

Have you guys ever had any dealings with Kirby Lane, or, Kyle Parker?

TJ

garybob said:
Everyone here, seems to be using Canyon. Scary, as he, with his crappy feet, is the progenitor of 90% of the "Durham red" program of the ASA. I used a bull called NEO-SHO Millenium ( 2 years before Nick Hammett came along), and, got excellent results. He's not a heifer bull, though. Plan on breaking out another straw or two.

I agree about Canyon, based on the ones that I own.  I got my small Red Angus herd "sight unseen" (big mistake) in a trade (I got 6 for 1, so maybe it isn't so bad!!) & the ones without Canyon are the best of the litter (I wouldn't mind keeping them) & the ones with Canyon would not be here if I had picked them out in person.  If you like clean fronts, straight tops & real good EPD's, then these Canyon females that I own are the cattle for you, but if you like them to be really good on their feet & legs, well... these are not your type of cattle.  Plus, they don't flesh like I would like for them too.  The ones without Canyon are much better in that department too.  Mine might not be typical of all of the Canyon cattle, but from what I am hearing on this board, it sounds like they are.

Show Dad

I have been using Rambo 502 sons and grandsons. Have had many good market animals. Haven't kept any of the heifers so can't say anything here. But the girls feed out very well.

jimmyski

We have run commercial Red Angus Cattle for about the last 20 years in Eastern Colorado. They have been doing very well for us in terms of cattle that will hold up on short grass, especially since we've been in a drought for about the last 8-10 of that. They are very docile, easy fleshing cattle, that are moderate framed and seem to not milk too much (though I think most of those two traits has been due to selection criteria). We have a son of Canyon that we are currently using now that is very good on his feet and legs, so I am holding out hope that he passes this on directly and we don't have any influence of his sire. I don't know much about the Brylor Bulls that were talked about on the other thread, but a couple bulls I will be using for the next breeding season will be Brown Vacation ( might be a little pricey, but I have loved most of the cattle I have seen out him) as well as Von Forell Supervision. I think I will probably stick with just those two bulls so that maybe I can get a better sample rather than getting just a few out of a bunch of bulls. We also really like the phenotype's of the Lancer son's that we have purchased but our first heifers out them were just bred this year, so time will tell if they have any udder problems that I have heard about.

Our selection criteria is pretty simple, first and formost they must be sound on their feet and legs, next they must look like a bull ( too many bulls don't look masculine at all anymore) and have some muscle and ribshape. If they meet this criteria, then we start looking at EPD's. We look for a moderate BW ( I think any heifer should be able to have an 80-85 lb. calf w/o any problems), we basically try to find a bull with a balance performance profile, while searching for one that is above breed average for REA if at all possible. Most of our cattle are 4.5 to 5.5 frame score cattle that way between 1100 and 1300 lbs and maintain a BCS of around 5 to 6.

On a side note if anyone knows of any good registered Red Angus Females ( heifers or 5yr old and younger cows) for sale, I'm in the market to try and buy between 5 and 10 head. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

OH Breeder

Okay this will relate to the topic at hand but give me a little bit.
I had the luck of purchasing two cows that were Lucy Boy's from Leachman's out west. They were built like trucks. Very broody and deep bodied. Nice udder etc. One was bred to one of Leachman's stabilizers. rom this mating I got a heifer calf.  THe first year I bred that heifer - Her first  calf was okay calf- plain made but grew like a weed. This year she threw a bouncing red heifer that is outstanding. Now my point, if I am right, the stabilizers are a combination of RA, Gelb, and Angus? Yes, I am pleased with the heifer from that mating. SHe has nice tight udder and is a super mother. She is black and her dam  is black, but, her calf from a purebred shorthorn this year is red as previously said.

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Dad said:
I have been using Rambo 502 sons and grandsons. Have had many good market animals. Haven't kept any of the heifers so can't say anything here. But the girls feed out very well.

I really like our Rambo cattle, easy fleshing good, good doing cattle and the daughtersare just plain good functional females.

ROAD WARRIOR

garybob said:

I would look at these bulls for the Duram red program - Supervision or Continuance from Von forrells in Wy, Miles city from NBAR in KS, Mulberry from Brylor in CAN, Advance 121R from Piepers in NE, Sequoia rom UBAR, in MT. A friend of mine is using a Bodacious son of ours on some of his Short Horn cows, the first claves hit the ground this spring - look good as babies.

Kyle bought most of the NEOSHO herd from Kirby a few years ago and tried to keep the cooperator herd/bull sale going, but after two fairly dismal sales most of the cooperators pulled out and went their own way this year. I've not personally had any business dealings with either of them.

Jimmyski - As I have stated before I really like Supervision bull, but the Vacations I have seen don't have enough bone in them to suit me, frame wise they probably fit your herd allright but I like mine a little bigger.

Show Dad

For the first time this year we have 2 steers out of a son of Advance the kids will be showing at the county fair in August. I wasn't too sure when we first got them, 2 weeks after weening at 700 lbs. But as we near that 1250 - 1300lbs window they look great. Move great and for you RW they have great legs.

We are hoping to buy a couple of his hefier this fall.

TJ

OH Breeder said:
Okay this will relate to the topic at hand but give me a little bit.
I had the luck of purchasing two cows that were Lucy Boy's from Leachman's out west. They were built like trucks. Very broody and deep bodied. Nice udder etc. One was bred to one of Leachman's stabilizers. rom this mating I got a heifer calf.  THe first year I bred that heifer - Her first  calf was okay calf- plain made but grew like a weed. This year she threw a bouncing red heifer that is outstanding. Now my point, if I am right, the stabilizers are a combination of RA, Gelb, and Angus? Yes, I am pleased with the heifer from that mating. SHe has nice tight udder and is a super mother. She is black and her dam  is black, but, her calf from a purebred shorthorn this year is red as previously said.

OH Breeder... not necessarily RE the stabilizer.  It could have been that combination, but it may not have been too.  A Stabilizer is 50% British & 50% Continental. 

For the British part... Leachman used Red Angus, South Devon, Hereford & later Black Angus.  Possibly another breed, but not that i know of.
For the Continental part... Leachman used Simmental, Gelbvieh, Tarentaise & possibly Saler or another breed (although my memory isn't what it used to be & it's been a long time since I paid attention to what the Leachman's were doing). 

The main 4 breeds, particuarly in the early years, were Red Angus, South Devon, Gelbvieh & Simmental. 

Besides the Stabilizers, they also had some other composites combo's, one was a Rangemaster (or soemthing like that). 

Will

I have a question for you Red Angus Experts.  I have a Durham Red bull who is sired by BIM Chateau #971048.  His Dam is a shorthorn cow JB Poinsetta X4078017.  What do you all think about his sires pedigree?  Does that breeding have any potential problems?  I really like the bull calf.  I have bred him to a hand full of hiefers and my best cow, if his calves look as good as he does next year I may breed all of my shorthorns to him.

ROAD WARRIOR

There are some of the Chateau cattle that I have liked pretty well. The Glacier Chateau 744 is just a little too close to King Rob to suit me so I have never used him myself. I think the Martins have pretty good cattle - fairly functional, sometimes a little too moderate for me but I like mine a little bigger. I'll try to pull your bulls sire up on the computer and take a closer look at him.

ROAD WARRIOR

Will said:
I have a question for you Red Angus Experts.  I have a Durham Red bull who is sired by BIM Chateau #971048.  His Dam is a shorthorn cow JB Poinsetta X4078017.  What do you all think about his sires pedigree?  Does that breeding have any potential problems?   I really like the bull calf.  I have bred him to a hand full of hiefers and my best cow, if his calves look as good as he does next year I may breed all of my shorthorns to him.
I pulled the sire of your bull up on the Red website, maternally he traces back to Make My Day and Hobo. I have a few MMD daughters in the herd that are pretty good cows, I like to breed them to a bull that will throw a little more muscle and depth in the calves. Hobo was pretty much a wholesale Heifer bull - sleep all night deal. If the SH cow was good I think this might be a decent combination - keep an eye on the udder structure of the heifers you retain as replacements if you plan on keeping them.

Will

ROAD WARRIOR said:
Will said:
I have a question for you Red Angus Experts.  I have a Durham Red bull who is sired by BIM Chateau #971048.  His Dam is a shorthorn cow JB Poinsetta X4078017.  What do you all think about his sires pedigree?  Does that breeding have any potential problems?   I really like the bull calf.  I have bred him to a hand full of hiefers and my best cow, if his calves look as good as he does next year I may breed all of my shorthorns to him.
I pulled the sire of your bull up on the Red website, maternally he traces back to Make My Day and Hobo. I have a few MMD daughters in the herd that are pretty good cows, I like to breed them to a bull that will throw a little more muscle and depth in the calves. Hobo was pretty much a wholesale Heifer bull - sleep all night deal. If the SH cow was good I think this might be a decent combination - keep an eye on the udder structure of the heifers you retain as replacements if you plan on keeping them.
Thank you for the information.  The cow he is out of has a great udder.  I am amazed at how stout the calf is and how much rib shape he has.  I get more excited the longer he is running with the cows.  He has actually grown while running with a small group of hiefers.  I think I could get him up and take a picture today and he has been in the field 45 days.

cowgirl

ROAD WARRIOR said:
There are some of the Chateau cattle that I have liked pretty well. The Glacier Chateau 744 is just a little too close to King Rob to suit me so I have never used him myself. I think the Martins have pretty good cattle - fairly functional, sometimes a little too moderate for me but I like mine a little bigger. I'll try to pull your bulls sire up on the computer and take a closer look at him.
We had a Glacier 744 son and he scanned a 17.5 sq.inch REA at 10 months old.  Not bad for a Red Angus.  His calves had alot of frame and depth of rib.  Seen alot of good cattle out of him, seems to be more popular in the southern states.

cowgirl

We got several calves out of Gold Robber and Brown Vaction this year that we were really pleased with.  Gold Robber calves are THICK and are really nice made.  I AI.ed a few heifers this year to 309R, SuperVision, and Shoco Data.

Latest posts