THIS IS WHAT DROUGHT LOOKS LIKE ( not really cattle related)

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

Part Timer said:
Do you think Romney will care about how much grass you have. Greed on everybodies part is what is taking this country down. Maybe instead of the two parties fighting each other they should be working together to solve the problems. I say get rid of the parties and make the people we elect make decisions on their own and stand behind their decision(not just fallow their party). I personally don't want to vote for either of them.

obama sees that grass and says you didn't grow that.  he sees green to redistribute.

i haven't voted republican or democrat in my life except once for governor and it wasn't arnold.

not wanting to vote for them isn't enough.  don't do it unless you are in a close state.

GONEWEST

Lets assume for the sake of argument that your philosophies are true, I don't think some of them are, but lets assume.  What math are you using?  A $15/hr job, even at an 80% tax rate is $100/wk higher take home than you are figuring.  In Iowa, it may only take 800 acres to make $1,000,000 on corn, but in NWKS where we average around 85 bu/acre, it takes closer to 1600 acres.  Most of the growers around here this year will be lucky to get 35 bu/acre.  Right at the point that insurance will not cover, but it still won't cover production cost.  Also assuming that ethanol would disappear, and you would have the corn to feed instead of the Distillers Grains, where would all this corn go?  You would have 3 times the product to feed of corn vs. what you have for corn grain?  In our area, most prefer not to feed milo to stock, however, milo is a large percentage of what is grown in this area, as it is more drought tolerant than the corn.  35 bu corn this year vs 50 bu milo, where do you suggest this milo go?  Or do we just go back to planting corn and getting less yield?  The price of corn seed is high because it is stacked with a large variety of traits that produces higher yields/better feed.  Seed companies pour huge amounts of money into R&D, and they must recoup this somehow.  I will close by saying that I am most definitely not an Obama supporter, however, I'm not sure Romney is a better choice.  Just once in my life I would like to vote in an election where I am voting FOR someone rather than picking the less of the two jackasses.  
[/quote]

Well........................lets make another assumption. Lets take look at this statement. "  "What math are you using?  A $15/hr job, even at an 80% tax rate is $100/wk higher take home than you are figuring."  I am going to ASSUME that you are using some sort of ALIEN math unknown to humans in order to make that statement.  But here is the way I figure it, using an 80% tax rate you supposed.............. $15 an hour times 40 hours is $600. Follow me? At a federal income tax rate of 80% (your example) that would leave you $120. Now in the post that I made I stated that $600 earned would leave $400 take home pay. Where exactly did you come up with at an 80% tax rate, it would leave $100 more than I was figuring? would you care to share those calculations?

None the less, federal taxes aren't all that come out of those pay checks, Here, for instance there are state income taxes, there is F.I.C.A. I have overseen THOUSANDS of payroll checks and I know what $600 brings home here.

As far as the corn and milo go if there were three times more corn to be fed and nothing to feed it to, then my suggestion would be to grow less corn??  If no one wants to feed Milo then my suggestion would be not to grow Milo.

Here's my honest take on it. For 25 years I my job was in support of some manufacturing facility. When the government policies did away with the majority of manufacturing in this country, I had to change my way of making a living because there is no demand for manufacturing management. So I got involved in Real Estate. Now that government policies have busted the real estate market so there is no demand for housing, I have to rely on selling cattle or doing something else. Why should farmers in NWKS be any different? Why shouldn't they have to change what they do if there is no demand for their product? As I stated previously, I have no problem helping people out that need it. The point of the OP was the money that goes to those that DON'T need it as shown by the amount of grass in my pasture.

As far as the price of seed corn, seed corn is at that price for no other reason than that is what the market will bear, If corn was $2 a bushel, you can bet that seed corn would not sell for $300. ANY item is priced at a level that the market will bear. The problem is when the market has demand that is artificially inflated, for instance the corn market from the artificial demand of Ethanol, the price becomes higher because the demand is greater. I realize there is lots of R&D cost in seed corn, but the price is only as high as it can be sold for.

As to Romney, like you I am not sure it will be better, but I AM sure it would be different. And this path we are on now is not going to do anything but destroy the nation as we know it.

GONEWEST

FriedgesCharolais said:
GONEWEST said:
Feel free to comment how ever you like. I'll not debate you. I'll not answer your posts, but just look at the picture below here and tell me that if the current people in charge of our government proclaim this as a drought area, are they the ones you want handling your money and influencing your way of life.

So much for that I guess.....

Yeah I know, I sincerely apologize to you. I was sick today and couldn't do anything, bored and just found that article in the paper so I thought that was what you wanted, some idea of what others in the area thought and then it had how much rain we have received as well. And I didn't mean to make you look bad by saying that we had over 40" of rain this year and that that is enough to grow anything. I'm not against helping those that deserve it at all, just against all the waste and corruption. I sincerely apologize.

Then there are those that just have poor facts or are mathematically challenged.  Just because their facts are poor and they are mathematically challenged does not prohibit them from voting. It's hard to ignore.

Again, I apologize.

bruiser

We can cuss and discuss these subjects till we're all standing in the welfare line. The point is that we're doing exactly what the politicians want us to- standing divided and arguing amongst ourselves. They know we will never unite under one cause again ( as we did in the late 1700's and several times since) because we listen to their mantra and let them divide us. As long as we're the 49% that pays the taxes that the other 51% lives on, our votes will not count. Have you noticed that not one pol has stood in front of a tractor and made a speech since Reagan ?? Funny how no one cares when you belong to a group that only makes up 2% of the population isn't it. The only way we can be heard is when the other 98% of the population begins to feel hunger. The line in Hank Jr.'s song " we can skin a buck or run a trot line and a country boy can survive" needs to come true IMO. We can all name a thousand things that need to change, but there isn't a pol alive with balls enough to change one thing.

nkotb

GONEWEST said:
Well........................lets make another assumption. Lets take look at this statement. "  "What math are you using?  A $15/hr job, even at an 80% tax rate is $100/wk higher take home than you are figuring."  I am going to ASSUME that you are using some sort of ALIEN math unknown to humans in order to make that statement.  But here is the way I figure it, using an 80% tax rate you supposed.............. $15 an hour times 40 hours is $600. Follow me? At a federal income tax rate of 80% (your example) that would leave you $120. Now in the post that I made I stated that $600 earned would leave $400 take home pay. Where exactly did you come up with at an 80% tax rate, it would leave $100 more than I was figuring? would you care to share those calculations?

None the less, federal taxes aren't all that come out of those pay checks, Here, for instance there are state income taxes, there is F.I.C.A. I have overseen THOUSANDS of payroll checks and I know what $600 brings home here.

As far as the corn and milo go if there were three times more corn to be fed and nothing to feed it to, then my suggestion would be to grow less corn??  If no one wants to feed Milo then my suggestion would be not to grow Milo.

Here's my honest take on it. For 25 years I my job was in support of some manufacturing facility. When the government policies did away with the majority of manufacturing in this country, I had to change my way of making a living because there is no demand for manufacturing management. So I got involved in Real Estate. Now that government policies have busted the real estate market so there is no demand for housing, I have to rely on selling cattle or doing something else. Why should farmers in NWKS be any different? Why shouldn't they have to change what they do if there is no demand for their product? As I stated previously, I have no problem helping people out that need it. The point of the OP was the money that goes to those that DON'T need it as shown by the amount of grass in my pasture.

As far as the price of seed corn, seed corn is at that price for no other reason than that is what the market will bear, If corn was $2 a bushel, you can bet that seed corn would not sell for $300. ANY item is priced at a level that the market will bear. The problem is when the market has demand that is artificially inflated, for instance the corn market from the artificial demand of Ethanol, the price becomes higher because the demand is greater. I realize there is lots of R&D cost in seed corn, but the price is only as high as it can be sold for.

As to Romney, like you I am not sure it will be better, but I AM sure it would be different. And this path we are on now is not going to do anything but destroy the nation as we know it.

Last I checked $600-$120 was $480, so you are only $80 low, not $100.  I'm not trying to call anyone out, just stating both sides.  The cattlemen in most states have similar monies available to them from the government, you just have to know where to look.  I'm not saying I'm for this government assistance, I am however, not above doing a little paperwork to receive some of this money.

mainecattlemother

Some of you are complaining about the cost to feed your cattle.  We are from West Central, MN and we have not had a good rain since 4th of July.  We are extremely dry!!! Amazingly enough our corn crop is pretty good and we do not run irrigation.  We run about 100 cow calf pairs and we were going to sell off all but about 30 but have been told to hang on to them and only get rid of what you absolutely need to.  We were even told to borrow money to pay for feed if we needed as next spring a run of the mill cow will bring $2500+.  There is a major shortage of cattle in this country and we all need to eat.  We have a slaughter house within about 80 miles of our farm and trucks are waiting an hour to two hours to unload as so many people from the Dakotas and Nebraska are bringing their cattle up for slaughter.  I know we are playing the gambling game as many farmers do but we plan to keep most of our cattle.  We are in the process of corn harvest and will put them on one field after harvest plus supplement with corn stock bales.  We are praying for another warm winter as we fed through the spring with corn stalk bales from last year.  All in all I think it will be a fairly good year for us.  Just a side note I wish we had the green grass like in the photo.  Our pasture is burnt to nothing.

twc77

maybe a road trip to ohio to see what drought really looks like. its easy enough for someone to take a picture of there crp ground after they've cashed the check,or maybe it was pasture in august after the cows were sold in june? all this discussion was started in the name of pushing a political agenda to heck with the poor ole farmer who is barely getting by.very nice! (clapping)