UNITE

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

-XBAR- said:
  It's almost impossible to get you to answer a direct question.

your eloquence describing yourself is surely a sign of improvement.

read bastiat for some perspective.

RyanChandler

And again, you fail to answer.    Perhaps if you spoke in fluent sentences, as opposed to clips and phrases, you might get more direct responses. 

VC,

Those are the type of things public servants need to be doing.  Why do they refer to the officer's actions as "above and beyond?"  Now, when an officer actually does his job and SERVES the community, its an anomaly that warrants an editorial and an award ceremony.  Their whole focus needs to change: we need more public servants engaging with and assisting the public and less focusing on role-playing cops and robbers.

knabe

-XBAR- said:
And again, you fail to answer.    Perhaps if you spoke in fluent sentences, as opposed to clips and phrases, you might get more direct responses. 

i'm not looking for responses pig.

what is it you want me to answer.  assuming you are also responsible for responding to direct questions. turnabout is fair play.

knabe

-XBAR- said:
Their whole focus needs to change: we need more public servants engaging with and assisting the public and less focusing on role-playing cops and robbers.

how would you describe your role playing stereotyping police officers as pigs?

vc

I think anytime you go from a safe situation and put yourself in a situation where you may lose your life it is above and beyond, entering a burning building to rescue someone, without fire gear is above and beyond. Giving a man without shoes a pair of shows with money from your own pocket does not fall under their job description, it is an act of humanity, can I ask what your last act of humanity was?

You like the public servant aspect but do not like the law enforcement aspect? I am pretty sure that with out law enforcement there would be many who would choose to follow no laws. It would be great if everyone believed in "do unto others as you would have others do unto you" but it seems many in or society follow the "do unto others before they do unto you".

There are reasons for speed limits and traffic laws, and for the most part they are for the public's safety, if recless drivers only killed themselves, it would be OK with me, but they usually survive and the Innocent are the ones who pay the price. You can look at it like cops why don't they go stop a real criminal, I see it as what if that guy hit my wife and kids.

The last ticket I got was for speeding, and I deserved it, it was on Highway 46, I had gotten off of the freeway and had not changed the way I was driving, the 46 has a history of accidents and is patrolled heavily for speeders and illegal passing. I was speeding, I got a ticket, I drive the speed limit on the 46 now. See how it works?

knabe

46 is pretty. lots of golden eagles, condors, deer, elk, badgers, horses and other stuff.  it's quite an interesting area due to the confluence of different environment types, which animals like. not only that, but the syrah's in the local area are great.

knabe

-XBAR- said:
we need more public servants engaging with and assisting the public and less focusing on role-playing cops and robbers.

could you give us some examples how you participate in this area?

vc

Knabe, it is the last hour of my 6 hour drive to Paso and the only part of the drive I enjoy, my wife agrees with your take on the syrahs, as well as a few others.

trevorgreycattleco

We should all do whatever we can to better our communities without any involvement of govt. I coach little league baseball. Youth basketball. I teach a free golf clinic to kids in summer. I donate food to those who need it. I'm always trying to help folks out. It comes back when you give.

Obviously not every cop is bad. I have two friends who are retired sheriffs. They'll tell you a lot of cops think they are above the law. A state trooper here got a DUI few years back. She was clocked at 110 on the interstate. My problem is when cops harass people for no reason. It happens here all the time. Because most folks don't know their rights and cops bully you.

knabe

http://ajae.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/02/24/ajae.aau001.abstract
We find that the information manipulation has an instrumental value, as it ex post induces more countries to participate in an IEA, which will eventually enhance global welfare.
translation. lying is ok if it fits the narrative.  sounds familiar to the rationale of lying is ok as long as it's to non-believers.
it's pretty interesting that all this correct speech will do nothing but drive free speech underground and foment civil unrest, the very thing this thread purports to be about.

vc

Trevor, I get that, a bad experience. I guess if they were robots we would not have this issue, same as teachers and the horror stories you hear about some. I understand that in some areas if you complain things can get worse not better, bad apples, there areavenues to elevate the problem without spreading hate and dissension. My step father was on the police pose, they road in peraids and assisted the police in evacuation situations and things like that, I would say that 5 out of 6 of the police officers I met were good guys, the other a complete jerk, I avoided the jerk.

I was burglarized once by someone on drugs, so I'm to assume everyone who does drugs is a thief? I worked with a guy from Colorado, he was a complete tool, am I to assume everyone from Colorado are tools? I don't but that seems to be how some are viewing it.

We have had several wild fire over the years were set by, ready for this, fire fighters or someone associated with the fire department. All firemen are not bad but we always seem to remember the bad more than the good. How does the saying go, one oops can wipe out 100 at a boys.

When I was in my teens I worked for a framing contractor, we where half way through building a custom home when the electrical wiring was ripped out of it, we had just had our electrical inspection on the wiring. We reported it to the local sheriff, it turned out there had been a rash if wire thefts lately. It took about a month from our theft for them to catch the thief. It was the inspector who had inspected the wiring, he would just come back a few nights later and rip it all out, sell it for scrap.

I also coach, am a 4h leader and volunteer for the large animal evacuation team, we live in a wild fire area.

RyanChandler

knabe said:
-XBAR- said:
we need more public servants engaging with and assisting the public and less focusing on role-playing cops and robbers.

could you give us some examples how you participate in this area?

My tax dollars facilitate it.  I would prefer more of it go towards employing those who in engage in public service initiatives and less of it towards policing.

vc said:
can I ask what your last act of humanity was?
Flying out of O'hare to DFW last month, while boarding, I gave an black lady in a wheelchair -who had to be at least 80- my first class seat and took her boarding pass. She told me this was her first time flying and that she was going to see her daughter who she hadn't seen in 4 years.  It turned out to be a pay it forward for sure as, throughout the flight, the flight attendant brought me several drinks paid for by an anonymous person who had seen and appreciated my gesture.  <beer> Maybe if more cops fulfilled their duty as public servants, they too would be more appreciated. 

knabe

humans used to solve problems like this.

we are headed there again.

Attachments

• photo-27.JPG
    photo-27.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 485

knabe

-XBAR- said:
My tax dollars facilitate it. we know. heaven forbid actually spending your time helping someone without compensation.

I would prefer more of it go towards employing those who in engage in public service initiatives and less of it towards policing. you don't prefer it, you want to mandate it while eliminating anyone who differs from you.

vc said:
can I ask what your last act of humanity was?
Flying out of O'hare to DFW last month, while boarding, I gave an black lady in a wheelchair -who had to be at least 80- my first class seat and took her boarding pass. She told me this was her first time flying and that she was going to see her daughter who she hadn't seen in 4 years.  It turned out to be a pay it forward for sure as, throughout the flight, the flight attendant brought me several drinks paid for by an anonymous person who had seen and appreciated my gesture.  <beer> Maybe if more cops fulfilled their duty as public servants, they too would be more appreciated.
there you go with faulty logic giving a specific example to exalt yourself, while generalizing people you hate. you need to be consistent in your rationalization, otherwise it's dismissed out of hand. perhaps you just need to give more to people and they won't be in trouble with the police. maybe volunteer at a boys club, tutor kids in trouble instead of just copping out and paying for it with other people's tax dollars. it's a known problem that money funneled through government wastes 30% of it right out of the gate. add in lifetime benefits, and it's an insidious, exponential problem that keeps growing and growing because more people like you need to volunteer.

RyanChandler

It takes both types of contributions- both monetary support and volunteers. Both equally important and codependent. 

You're right. I want to mandate more tax dollars go towards public service initiatives than towards policing.

Act, as in "last act of humanity," is singular.

knabe

-XBAR- said:
You're right. I want to mandate more tax dollars go towards public service initiatives than towards policing.

how much more?

what should tax rates be?

Top earners are the main target of tax increases, but the federal income tax system is already highly progressive. The top 10 percent of income earners paid 71 percent of all federal income taxes in 2010, though they earned only 45 percent of all income. The bottom 50 percent paid 2 percent of income taxes, but earned 12 percent of income.

what is your definition of fair?

knabe

-XBAR- said:

i want to mandate you to provide public service rather than mandating others pay for it, as, by and large, conservatives do a really good job of providing public service, while you just sit on your duff.

RyanChandler

knabe said:
-XBAR- said:

i want to mandate you to provide public service rather than mandating others pay for it, as, by and large, conservatives do a really good job of providing public service, while you just sit on your duff.

Why do you always say 'others' as if I have no contribution?  I pay more in taxes every year than the median personal income is in this country. What part of that don't you understand? Surely I have a say-so in where my tax dollars are allocated!

A really good job?  You've gotta be kidding me.  For every public service conservatives support, I can show you 10 they oppose.

RyanChandler

knabe said:
-XBAR- said:

how much more?

what should tax rates be?

Top earners are the main target of tax increases, but the federal income tax system is already highly progressive. The top 10 percent of income earners paid 71 percent of all federal income taxes in 2010, though they earned only 45 percent of all income. The bottom 50 percent paid 2 percent of income taxes, but earned 12 percent of income.

what is your definition of fair?

Your numbers are misleading and you know it. The amount of taxable income the 1% made or amount of wealth they either acquired or inherited is not the same thing. There is more income inequality in the top 1% than there is in the remaining 99% combined. Don't try to lump the Koch brothers with the 1%ers making a quarter mill.  That's ridiculous. I'm not for raising taxes, I'm for realocating where those tax dollars go.  I've said this many times before and I will say it again: I would rather pay for the least of Americans' healthcare than to pay one single dollar to subsidize the production of food that is exported overseas. I would rather my tax dollars go to pay for higher education for every American rather than see one single dollar go towards 'establishing democracy in Iraq.'