Using EPD's in a show?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

The reason for that is most Angus breeders won't use a bull until he is proven, they don't jump on the new bull out every year.  I always find it funny to walk around in Dever and see the bulls, Angus and Herefords display all older bulls and everyone else brings out the babies, kind of tells the EPD story in a nutshell IMO.

GONEWEST

One thing that I don't get is how you can call EPD'S SOOOO inaccurate?  If you have a calf with a bw epd of -3 you could be pretty sure that he will sire lighter weight calves than a bull with a +5.  Yes they can fluctuate, but call me a sucker that doesn't believe that everyone is manipulating the numbers just to mess with the epd's.  I know I dont.  We as breeders for the show right need to remember that we are still in the business of producing a food product, BEEF!!!  So why should more commercially acceptable traits be taken out of the show ring? 

Davis I'm not going to call you anything. I never said everyone is manipulating EPD's. But some do, that's not an opinion or a guess, it's a fact. If you have a set of data and ANYTHING in that data set is inaccurate, then by definition the whole data set is inaccurate. It takes many, many, accurate progeny records to statistically cover up a few inaccurate reports. Show cattle, due to their age, don't have that. So given those facts don't you think that it's reasonable to say that EPD's on young cattle are not accurate? Don't you believe that if you have an animal that has several generations of young sires in it's immediate pedigree that the chance for the EPD's to be inaccurate statistically multiply with each generation? 

As far as the show ring reflecting more commercially acceptable traits, which ones would you like to see it reflect that it doesn't already? Like I mentioned to Doc, I think it might be a problem within your breed more so than others. In most breeds easy fleshing, moderate framed, sound cattle win. I'm not sure what else could be done to be more commercially acceptable since no reasonable person can sat that there is an ideal commercial animal for all situations.

Another thing that has always puzzled me is Shorthorn breeders that are so critical of the show ring and all that term encompasses. If you look through here, you'll see the majority that want that industry to more reflect the commercial sector are Shorthorn breeders. I find that extremely ironic since by color, if for no other reason, the breed is not commercially acceptable. Herefords are red, but Shorthorns can't do what Herefords can in the environment they can do it in.  If not for the infusion of those genetic defect carrying cattle and the explosion of the club calf industry the breed would be almost non existent in the US, much as are fullblood Simmental and other purebreds that have fallen by the wayside due to hide color. I'm not saying it SHOULD be that way,not saying color SHOULD be what determines usefulness,  just that it would be. The larger breeders that register most of the animals and thereby keep the association afloat financially are by in large geared toward the show ring. The breed association couldn't exist with out them. That's why those people have so much power. The show industry carries that breed here in the US. I don't understand why some are so critical of it.

As far as buying from a "trusted" breeding program goes, their EPD's are not calculated from within their own herd. So why in the world would anyone think that the EPD's from a "trusted breeding program" would be any more accurate than those from any other program?

The concept of EPD's is wonderful. But due to the inaccuracy of reporting data , whether intentionally or not, they are not as reliable as they should be. It's a people problem not a mathematical one.

JoeBnTN

GONEWEST said:
I think I pretty well covered, supporting with fact not opinion, why EPD's should not be part of the process. And although you tried to blur the line, it is important to note that "individual performance data" and EPD's are no more similar that apples are to oranges.  However, the concept of EPD's or what ever acronym you want to assign numbers that reflect genetic variation,  is a splendid idea. Who could argue with trying to measure genetic variation mathematically? But to use data that has no accuracy because of false or misleading reporting along with no progeny performance data to back them up as a means to place show cattle is not even rational. And since everyone with his head out of an extension manual knows that's the case, why is it being used at all? If it's a "tool" then it's like a wrench that says it's a 3/4 but it's really a 1/2 and you don't know it until you try use it and see that you couldn't go by the numbers printed on the handle just because it's a Craftsman and by golly they said it was. I don't even disagree with you that EPD's could be used in the evaluation of show cattle........IF they had any accuracy at all. They don't. You have to know that. As a "rocket scientist" you must know that an EPD's for animals with no progeny records are extremely low in accuracy. And that's assuming all the data reported for many generations prior that is used to determine them has all been reported accurately and with integrity. After reading your long list of credentials, I am sure you have been around enough to know  that is not the case at all. And knowing that, now you're telling me that it  would be fine and dandy with you if one of those many national champions you had would not have been champion because some other similar appearing animal was placed above it with better( what ever that means) EPD's that were determined by data that you know was incorrect? I just don't believe you'd think that was fair and just.

I think you've done a very good job of highlighting the difference of opinion in the paragraph above.  What I fail to get is how people who argue that EPD's are invalid because the data is incomplete or has been manipulated fail to accept the same argument that visual "data" isn't valid because the cattle have been manipulated.  No one argues thatshow  cattle have been pumped, injected, etc.  or that their actual appearance has been directly altered by hair and "stuff" - but for too many that's OK.

My only point is that shows should reflect the "ideal" animal in a particular breed and making decisions by using part of thel information available certainly isn't my idea ofa good way to find that ideal.

knabe

i would like more transparency in the epd data so you can graph it yourself.

that way you could see if the data fit a normal distribution and would easily indicate if data was being manipulated and if a hockey stick was created out of hot air.

you could calculate the mean, the average, standard deviation, the coefficient of variation, whatever.  it's not that hard.

why all the secrecy with data is stupid.  it's not like breed associations have special knowledge.  well actually they do.  from the data, they can see who might be lying or not.

one could also easily see how many registered calves there are, what percentage are DNA verified etc.

ROAD WARRIOR

I had pretty much walked away from this post but I will try to summerize my view in as short a fashion as I can.
 I have lived through (and mostly survived) a period in our breed when EPD's were king, this is a fact. High EPDing cattle brought the most money (because truthfully there are people out there that wouldn't know a good one if it kicked them in the head) and because of this, people figured out how to manipulate the data system so they could sell their for big money, this is a fact. The association put so much emphasis on EPD's that they, the association corrupted the show ring by prejudging the cattle on EPD's alone and influenced the judges that they hand picked to use those cattle in the show with total disreguard for structural soundness, udder quality, testicle development or any other usable trait, this is a fact. I physically saw one of our "breed leading bulls" that was politically correct according to the association because he had curve bending EPD's, that was the most pathetic, crippled, piece of sh*t I had seen in quite awhile, that is a fact. I have seen calves with stellar interim EPD's win shows because of their numbers and a year later their numbers fell to near nothing, this is a fact. I have seen bulls that had pretty high accuracies take a big dive because a handfull of larger breeders got their heads togather and decide to "kill" that particular bull, that is a fact. There is no way of policing the data submitted by producers that is viable, although we had to big breeders that did get caught manipulating the system just because they were so blatant about it, that is fact.
 Now my oppinion is this - Interim EPD's a virtually worthless due to the fact that there are no progeny, either in the show ring or as a selection tool. Too much emphasis on nearly anything related to the cattle business is a bad thing, with the possible exception of structural correctness. I am sooooo tired of seeing heifers that are 3 months past being ready to kill, win breeding heifer shows. Go ahead and fill those udders full of fat and show me the calf that she raises naturally.
 Basically I have lived through the worst case scenerio of EPD's in the show ring,if you choose to follow in this path I wish you well. RW

M Bar

Oh for goodness sakes Road Warrior, chill out, you're due for your meds.  Maybe you can stick around at Denver and help me with my bull and we can argue about this in the peanut bar for a while.  <beer>.  Maybe we should talk about something that is easier to solve.  Here are my topics.

1.  Global warming, truth or fiction?
2.  Health care, good or bad?
3.  Who's hotter, Wilma Flintstone or Betty Rubble?
4.  Rhoad Island is neither a "road" or an "island", discuss.........

ROAD WARRIOR

M Bar - sounds like a deal when you going to be in Denver?

Answers to your questions-
1 - Not today - it's cold a rainy here, AGAIN!
2 - Good if you're sick, bad if you're healthy
3 - Not even close - Betty all the way
4 - I figure if they can't spell road correctly then they don't know if they're on an island or not

I can't remember if I took my memory enhancing meds or not, or did I?

M Bar

From the great words of Jim Carey in dumb and dumber, "pills are good"

Attachments

• jim carey.jpg
    jim carey.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 255

JoeBnTN

M Bar said:
From the great words of Jim Carey in dumb and dumber, "pills are good"

T-Roy and RW,

Jim Carey was only half right - he forgot that "beer is better!"

forcheyhawk

I think Joe makes the best point in the whole thread.  We dismiss EPDs because they are dishonest but we dismiss the fact that visual evidence is dishonest.  I would be interested to take a needle to some of these high dollar show steers and see how much air I can let out after they are done showing.  I bet we'd all be surprised how big of a problem this is.  Hope I'm wrong, but I somehow doubt it when money is involved.

M Bar

Gone west will obviously like Betty as well since Wilma has the wrong hair color.  Dang, this is way more fun.

Attachments

• betty and wilma.jpg
    betty and wilma.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 241

Torch

I don't understand why Fred didn't dump her with that genetic defect hair! ;D

knabe

i really don't see calving ease in either betty or wilma.  huge heads, narrow hips, and the sires, barrel chested.

Torch

I would agree Knabe. Though they could survive the predators on the open range. ;D

SHAGGY

I think RW summed it up pretty well on reply 84. Just keep in mind that the cattle industry is a business just like any other, and there are a lot of people that will do what ever they can to make more money or gain the upper hand on another businessman. and why is everyone hating on my girl wilma :'(