Using EPD's in a show?

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLD

I guess we all are going to have different opinions of epd's (mine's pretty low, btw), but the question at hand here is do they really have a place in the showring.  I don't believe they do. The show ring, gain tests, carcass evaluations, breeding for great epd's, breeding for gene star markers, whatever - they're each their own world.  For the most part, few of them are real complimentary to the others.  We each have to decide which world it's most important to us to excel in, and that's what we breed for.  If we're going to force them on one another, how about we add in some showring valued epd's... like soundness, balance, and eye appeal...  (hey, we could even throw in hair  O0 )  If you can trust people to turn in their own numbers, surely you can trust 'em to evaluate their own cattle, right???

It's been said here before, a good judge sees the performance in the cattle before him (or her).  I'd much rather see frailer made cattle get placed where they belong due to their structure rather than placed higher due to their lower bw epd's.... or a female get placed where her udder and teat structure dictates instead of her milk epd.

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Heifer said:
RW: Sounds like you need to find someone that is more honest with their numbers to buy bulls from. If you deal with honest breeders, that are truly breeders and not catlle multipliers or fad chasers or photo shoppers or number manipulators, you will find the epds are a good tool to help you select an animal that will fit with your herd.

Make absolutely no mistake about it, the very small handfull of people that I even consider buying from are truely "breeders". I put very little faith in the numbers for the fact that even if you do turn in accurate data it is compared with the entire data base including those ficticious numbers that are turned in. My pedigrees are not made up of the big name "curve benders" that the AI studs all like to promote, but instead are made of sound, functional cattle that work for a living. I have physically seen all the sires in 4 to 8 generations of nearly all of my herd, not just the photoshopped catalog pictures that most people buy semen from. You will notice that I did not buy into the bull that you referred to early in this post with the flucuating BW EPD, and I was offered the opportunity several times prior to his syndication and sale. RW

SHAGGY

So I didnt read through all 5 pages but i got the idea of what everyone thinks. In my opinion, EPD's should FOR THE MOST PART be thrown out the window completely untill we can come up with a better system. Think about this, the hardest calf i have ever had to have ( ended up in c-section ) was about 70 lbs, but was all shoulder. When it comes to BW epd's i have had 100+ pound calves slide right out and small little calves that were nightmares coming out, my point is that BW epd's dont look at how smooth a shoulder the bull had, what kinda head shape he's got, what kinda hip they had coming out, things that in my mind are much more important than -.06 with an acc of 65. All epd data has too many variables for them to have any kinda of REAL accuracy.

GONEWEST

Show Heifer said:
RW: Sounds like you need to find someone that is more honest with their numbers to buy bulls from. If you deal with honest breeders, that are truly breeders and not catlle multipliers or fad chasers or photo shoppers or number manipulators, you will find the epds are a good tool to help you select an animal that will fit with your herd.

Show heifer I always agree with alot of what you have to say. But just read what you just wrote. That doesn't make the first lick of sense.

No matter how much integrity a breeder has, he has no control over the EPD's of his cattle if others are manipulating them. If he is in the same breed as the "number manipulators" his numbers are wrong, too. It doesn't matter that he was honest in his reporting. I know you know that.

Who told you that EPD's were a good tool to help you select animals? Or was it just something you came up with on your own? Just wondering why you're the only one who has any confidence in them other than the rocket scientists at the breed associations and the academia.

Show Heifer

I have always considered epd's when selecting, and keeping animals. I use it as a tool not as an "end all". I have found that animals that come from a true breeding programs often have epd's that are reflective of their actual performance.
If I like an EPD package on a critter, but that critter can not walk, or is just ugly, I do not buy or keep them in my herd. I enjoy going out to my pasture and just LOOKING at my cattle, and if I don't enjoy it, I don't see the point in owning that animal. BUT, if I have a wonderful looking animal that has terrible epd's they usually do not perform up to snuff, so they are the first to go, or the first to be crossed off my "purchase list".
In my oh so humble opinion, there are too many attractive animals that come with solid EPD's to select an animal that doesn't have both. No body "told me" that epd's are a good tool. I have found that to be true in my personal situation. Experience told me, not some book, not some "expert", but ME. I told myself that.

I know the bull RW is refering to. He went from a 1.5 up to a 5.9 in a few very short years. I also didn't buy into it, as this bulls shoulders were HUGE (no calving ease). I do not consider the farm that bull came from a "true breeding program". Too small of program, not enough history, and certainly no "history" to back up the animal. Maybe I am too picky about who I deal with.... sometimes I don't think I am picky enough!

And, I do not think I am alone in my thinking that epd's are worth looking at.... a few others in this post has expressed their support in using epd's in not only the show ring, but also in the pasture to HELP, ASSIST in selecting animals.

Doc

Show Heifer said:
I know the bull RW is refering to. He went from a 1.5 up to a 5.9 in a few very short years. I also didn't buy into it, as this bulls shoulders were HUGE (no calving ease). I do not consider the farm that bull came from a "true breeding program". Too small of program, not enough history, and certainly no "history" to back up the animal. Maybe I am too picky about who I deal with.... sometimes I don't think I am picky enough!

2 comments.

#1 - I'd like for you to explain to me how someone can have too small of a program to be a "true breeding program"? I have 15  momma cows here & own 3 others in partnership with people & I consider myself a breeder(& have since 1972) . JoeBinTN doesn't have many more cows than me if any & he's raised a Nat'l Champion hfr & just sold a good looking bull to JIT that will make a difference in some herds out there. I consider him a breeder. If we're not breeders than what are we? I think you need to rethink that statement. JMO.

#2 - We have a bull in the Shorthorn breed that is like the one above. He went about a 6 BEPD to a -.8 BEPD virtually overnight. He's got a bunch of full brothers out there that go from the lowest of 3.5 on the BEPD to a high of 6.5. I know I sure wouldn't breed any hfrs to him even though that bull has negative a BEPD. That is why I don't put a lot of faith in our EPD's & with the way they have changed the system in the past.JMHO

aj

I don't think you have to have numbers to be a breeder you need a plan. For me someone who embryo transplants only is not applying natural enviromental selection at all. Someone who doesn't follow fads and sticks to a certain type of cattle. If the pendlum swings back they are usually rewarded. Just following popular cattle of the day is a me too herd.jmo

mark tenenbaum

Doc said:
If you can put so much stock in  EPD's , then I geuss we don't need JPJ or Joe & JIT's bull. If you can afford it , we can just breed all of our heifers to Solution. I mean his BEPD is  -0.8 . Although there is nothing else out of his momma that has a BEPD lower than a +3.5.
I was told by a RA breeder one time than, that runs quite a few cows , that they pick a couple of calves by one bull & make them the EPD sacrificial lambs.

In the other breeds besides Shorties, was the decision to use EPD's in the ring decided upon by the B.O.D. or the membership or just a decision that one person pushed thru?   WELL SAID HOW CAN SOLUTIONS FULL BROTHERS AND CLOSE RELATIONS LIKE_SALUTE BE FROM +4 to +10?  O0

sjcattleco

EPDs are crap! inaccurate and designed to make an art into a science instead of using science to better understand the art!

One proof is that linebreeding lowers  EPDs instead of making them more accurate!

JoeBnTN

GONEWEST said:
Who told you that EPD's were a good tool to help you select animals? Or was it just something you came up with on your own? Just wondering why you're the only one who has any confidence in them other than the rocket scientists at the breed associations and the academia.

I had promised myself I was going to stay out of this any more - I'd said enough and am smart enough to know that reasonable people can disagree.  But Gonewest I think the last part of your post is a cheap shot at those who don't agree with you. 

I can't speak for ShowHeifer but I will speak for me.  But first my "credentials" - I'm a 4th generation beef cattle producer and my family has been in the Shorthorn breed (and a few others) for more than 70 years.  In college I was one of top individuals in judging at the National Contest and was high individual in cattle evaluation (where you visually estimate the carcass potential of cattle scored against their ACTUAL slaughter data).  Later in grad school I worked on the USDA research that helped redesign the feeder calf grading system and coached a winning college judging team. At the University I was part of the group that selected genetics for one of the Southeast’s top performance Angus herds (mostly from “show” bulls).  I’ve judged shows across the country, including Louisville, Denver, Houston, state fairs and national/regional shows for more than a dozen breeds.  Along the way we’ve had a couple of National Champions, several All-Americans and sale toppers from Tennessee to Denver.  One of our All-American show bulls ended up on the Oregon-Washington range where he sired range bull winners for several years.  I offer that as means to say that I’m one of those “rocket scientists” from academia that you talk about, but I’m first and foremost a cattleman – and I DO value performance data.

The problem with this discussion is that is always seems to go to the extreme – on both sides.  Genetic evaluations are just another tool that can and should help breeders make better decisions.  Like visual appraisal, individual performance data, ultrasound, etc. these tools can help you make the most informed decision possible.  But just like single trait selection – too much emphasis and you have a train wreck.  The basic question at the start of this was should EPD’s be used as PART of the process – not should EPD’s be the sole factor in placing cattle.  When I judge a show I try to make the best possible decisions, and if there is data that can help, I want to use it.  But as I said before it doesn’t make my decisions, it only helps with close placings.

The other issue that seems to find its way into this thread is the age old “show” cattle are different than “real” cattle.  We had a very healthy discussion on this subject a year ago and it pops up from time to time.  It seems to me is that far too many don’t appreciate how the show ring has transformed over the years.  It wasn’t that long ago that the top show bulls were the top sires for commercial bulls.  Bulls like Pine Drive Big Sky, Enforcer 107H, several of the L1 Domino bulls, and Mill Brook Ransom G9 2975 were champions in the ring, produced champions and produced viable commercial bulls in their respective breed.  Today show ring bulls usually don’t match that level of success.  Why?  The traits that have become dominate in the show ring are often in opposition to the practical traits needed in the commercial sector. 

Does that mean that this generation of show ring cattle is “right” and past generations were “wrong”?  I don’t think so – we’re just at the end of the pendulum swing that has impacted the show ring for more than 50 years.  And if history repeats itself again (and I’ll bet it will) the show ring will soon be swing back toward the middle.  Part of that “reversion” may be the current desire to add more practicality to the show ring.  Again, I’m not suggesting it’s good or bad – it’s just the way the business has worked for more than 50 years.

Where I have the most basic problem with this discussion however is the belief that “real world” factors no longer have a place in the show ring. For most of my life the show ring was the picture window for the beef industry – showcasing our very best products.  But as we’ve seen with the steer shows – once we took out the “real world,” i.e. carcass shows and data collection for on foot cattle and the same steer being shown for months as “finished”, it really became more of a fitting and feeding contest.  The majority of steers we see in the ring today have little resemblance to their feedlot siblings.  Factors like rib eye area, potential yield and quality grade, and gain tests have been replaced by lots of hair, freaky muscle structure and a willingness to accept genetic defects simply to get “the look.”

It now appears that the show ring is on the same path.  In many breeds, not just the Shortys, you see the same differences.  Is this good for the industry?  I can’t help but believe that it’s not.  As I mentioned in the posting about show vs. real cattle a year ago, a very well known breeder in a couple of breeds (including the Red Angus – RW) told me that in his family’s near 100 year history, he’d never seen such a gap between the two.  Like me, he loves to show cattle and likes selling a good heifer or two once in awhile, but his bread and butter has been commercial bulls and replacement females.  As he said, today’s show ring bulls can’t do that, just as the performance bulls can’t sire show winners.  If you’re big enough to be able to choose one type or the other, or better yet have both kinds in your herd, that’s great.  But for far too many, we don’t have that luxury; our sires have to do both.  So if using EPD’s help reinforce the idea that cattle can and should have multiple purposes, I’m all for it.

Now, as I said I fully believe that reasonable people can and should be able to disagree.  But when you start calling names and calling those who don’t share your beliefs, well…. 

knabe

sjcattleco said:
One proof is that linebreeding lowers  EPDs instead of making them more accurate!

doesn't lowering them make them more accurate?

in other words, if a bull is used as an outcross and inflates the epd, then the more he is closely bred, the more accurate the epd as the sampling randomness evens out?

maybe i have this wrong.

GONEWEST

But Gonewest I think the last part of your post is a cheap shot at those who don't agree with you. 

Sorry, Joe B. I didn't mean to elicit such a long, visceral response. I read that about 5 times and I can't see how you could have taken it as anything but an honest question. I think extension and academia are the ones who promote such things as gospel and I was just wondering, no more. I can't see anything remotely bad or disrespectful in asking. Sorry.

I think I pretty well covered, supporting with fact not opinion, why EPD's should not be part of the process. And although you tried to blur the line, it is important to note that "individual performance data" and EPD's are no more similar that apples are to oranges.  However, the concept of EPD's or what ever acronym you want to assign numbers that reflect genetic variation,  is a splendid idea. Who could argue with trying to measure genetic variation mathematically? But to use data that has no accuracy because of false or misleading reporting along with no progeny performance data to back them up as a means to place show cattle is not even rational. And since everyone with his head out of an extension manual knows that's the case, why is it being used at all? If it's a "tool" then it's like a wrench that says it's a 3/4 but it's really a 1/2 and you don't know it until you try use it and see that you couldn't go by the numbers printed on the handle just because it's a Craftsman and by golly they said it was. I don't even disagree with you that EPD's could be used in the evaluation of show cattle........IF they had any accuracy at all. They don't. You have to know that. As a "rocket scientist" you must know that an EPD's for animals with no progeny records are extremely low in accuracy. And that's assuming all the data reported for many generations prior that is used to determine them has all been reported accurately and with integrity. After reading your long list of credentials, I am sure you have been around enough to know  that is not the case at all. And knowing that, now you're telling me that it  would be fine and dandy with you if one of those many national champions you had would not have been champion because some other similar appearing animal was placed above it with better( what ever that means) EPD's that were determined by data that you know was incorrect? I just don't believe you'd think that was fair and just.

Where I disagree with you is that show cattle should somehow be more tied to the commercial industry than it is already, which is really what the use of EPD's in the show ring is trying to do. There are several reasons that I believe this and some are opinion. But one fact is inarguable. And it applies also as an inarguable reason for not using EPD's, even if accurate, to evaluate show cattle. The reason is that there is, or at least can be, an ideal show animal. Do you believe there is an ideal commercial animal? Of course there isn't. Is there and ideal EPD profile? Of course there isn't. Since that is the case, how can a show animal be the ideal commercial animal if there is no such beast? Both commercial cattle and registered cattle that are aimed at producing animals to be used by commercial cattlemen must be bred to fit the resources of the job they are intended. Since this year I could run a cow and calf on an acre here the animal that is ideal for me is not the one that is ideal for south Texas or Kansas or New York or the Sandhills or anywhere else. All have a different set of resources and requirements. There is no ideal. Not sure which shows you've been to lately, but most of the ones I go to are won by moderate framed, easy keeping, big bodied structurally correct animals.  Well maybe not in your breed, but in most. To me that's about as close as you can get to tying the show ring to the commercial industry.

I really don't have any problem with anyone disagreeing with my opinion, they are like elbows. But if you believe that you can give me a one size fits all ideal EPD profile , as would be needed to use  in placing animals, and if you believe the integrity of the data used to compile EPD's is pure and accurate,  then your premise as a reasonable person is, well..........................

forcheyhawk

So is visual evaluation 100% accurate as well?  I'm just curious as to what Gonewest's thoughts are on that. 

Also, it's safe to say that not everyone is going to share your opinion all the time.  So no need to call people names and question if they know anything about cattle.  I've seen this from you before and it's getting old.

Davis Shorthorns

GONEWEST said:
But Gonewest I think the last part of your post is a cheap shot at those who don't agree with you. 

Sorry, Joe B. I didn't mean to elicit such a long, visceral response. I read that about 5 times and I can't see how you could have taken it as anything but an honest question. I think extension and academia are the ones who promote such things as gospel and I was just wondering, no more. I can't see anything remotely bad or disrespectful in asking. Sorry.

I think I pretty well covered, supporting with fact not opinion, why EPD's should not be part of the process. And although you tried to blur the line, it is important to note that "individual performance data" and EPD's are no more similar that apples are to oranges.  However, the concept of EPD's or what ever acronym you want to assign numbers that reflect genetic variation,  is a splendid idea. Who could argue with trying to measure genetic variation mathematically? But to use data that has no accuracy because of false or misleading reporting along with no progeny performance data to back them up as a means to place show cattle is not even rational. And since everyone with his head out of an extension manual knows that's the case, why is it being used at all? If it's a "tool" then it's like a wrench that says it's a 3/4 but it's really a 1/2 and you don't know it until you try use it and see that you couldn't go by the numbers printed on the handle just because it's a Craftsman and by golly they said it was. I don't even disagree with you that EPD's could be used in the evaluation of show cattle........IF they had any accuracy at all. They don't. You have to know that. As a "rocket scientist" you must know that an EPD's for animals with no progeny records are extremely low in accuracy. And that's assuming all the data reported for many generations prior that is used to determine them has all been reported accurately and with integrity. After reading your long list of credentials, I am sure you have been around enough to know  that is not the case at all. And knowing that, now you're telling me that it  would be fine and dandy with you if one of those many national champions you had would not have been champion because some other similar appearing animal was placed above it with better( what ever that means) EPD's that were determined by data that you know was incorrect? I just don't believe you'd think that was fair and just.

Where I disagree with you is that show cattle should somehow be more tied to the commercial industry than it is already, which is really what the use of EPD's in the show ring is trying to do. There are several reasons that I believe this and some are opinion. But one fact is inarguable. And it applies also as an inarguable reason for not using EPD's, even if accurate, to evaluate show cattle. The reason is that there is, or at least can be, an ideal show animal. Do you believe there is an ideal commercial animal? Of course there isn't. Is there and ideal EPD profile? Of course there isn't. Since that is the case, how can a show animal be the ideal commercial animal if there is no such beast? Both commercial cattle and registered cattle that are aimed at producing animals to be used by commercial cattlemen must be bred to fit the resources of the job they are intended. Since this year I could run a cow and calf on an acre here the animal that is ideal for me is not the one that is ideal for south Texas or Kansas or New York or the Sandhills or anywhere else. All have a different set of resources and requirements. There is no ideal. Not sure which shows you've been to lately, but most of the ones I go to are won by moderate framed, easy keeping, big bodied structurally correct animals.  Well maybe not in your breed, but in most. To me that's about as close as you can get to tying the show ring to the commercial industry.

I really don't have any problem with anyone disagreeing with my opinion, they are like elbows. But if you believe that you can give me a one size fits all ideal EPD profile , as would be needed to use  in placing animals, and if you believe the integrity of the data used to compile EPD's is pure and accurate,  then your premise as a reasonable person is, well..........................

One thing that I don't get is how you can call EPD'S SOOOO inaccurate?  If you have a calf with a bw epd of -3 you could be pretty sure that he will sire lighter weight calves than a bull with a +5.  Yes they can fluctuate, but call me a sucker that doesn't believe that everyone is manipulating the numbers just to mess with the epd's.  I know I dont.  We as breeders for the show right need to remember that we are still in the business of producing a food product, BEEF!!!  So why should more commercially acceptable traits be taken out of the show ring?  

Doc

One thing that I don't get is how you can call EPD'S SOOOO inaccurate?  If you have a calf with a bw epd of -3 you could be pretty sure that he will sire lighter weight calves than a bull with a +5.  Yes they can fluctuate, but call me a sucker that doesn't believe that everyone is manipulating the numbers just to mess with the epd's.  I know I dont.  We as breeders for the show right need to remember that we are still in the business of producing a food product, BEEF!!!  So why should more commercially acceptable traits be taken out of the show ring?  
[/quote]

So explain Solution to me. He started out siring 80 to 100 & something pound calves. Then for a short period(like 9 months) , he sired some 60 to 80 pounders & he became a negative BEPD sire. Now he's back to siring the majority 80 & 90 lbers with one or two in the 70's & still some in the 100's.  But based on your theory because he is a negative BEPD with an accuaracy (I think) of .65 , then he should be a heifer bull?

aj

I always get confused on the salutes,solution,solutrean,final solution, clovis and all the other similar names......but i was told one one of those bulls had some major monkey business done on epds.

Show Heifer

I answered Doc's questions in a PM. But to summarize: I didn't mean to imply (although that is what I said) that small breeders are not "true breeding programs". Size has nothing to do with having a true breeding program.

Thanks Joe....

I will maintain my thinking that epd's are useful, both in the show and out. Part of the problem is those that think show ring cattle are "just as useful in commercial segment as they are in the show ring" are finding that epd's ARE important, and in the since they have paid little attention to them while chasing the purple banner, they find themselves between a rock and a hard spot.  Again, you can't have it both ways. Talk to any commerical cattleman and they will tell you they pay attention to epd's.  They can not control all the lying and cheating that goes on to create SOME of those numbers. That is where they must trust the "breeding program" they are purchasing from.

I can't explain the shorthorn epd's or breed for that matter....heard the breed went under a "epd adjustment" due to......

Again I will repeat what I have been saying all along. EPD's should be used as a selection tool. A piece of the puzzle. If a judge wants to use them, let them. That will help the commercial cattleman understand the show ring, and help the show ring understand the commercial cattleman. But, if you want the cattle shows to continue to be a beauty pagent for cattle (I don't care if you do, just call it what it is) then toss the epd's, numbers, weights, frame score, and DOB's, and judge strictly on appearance. I can appreciate a stuff and fluff show as much as anyone, just don't say they are "commerial cattleman friendly".

Thanks all, it has been eye opening discussion.

Jill

Well I don't qualify for the rocket science catagory, but here is how it works in the real world, and not dogging on Solution, I have seen it everywhere in the Maine breed.
A group of breeders jump on the bandwagon and breed to a new bull, wow, he wasn't what he was promoted to be and they have all these huge calves but they look really great and I want to sell them and I know I can't sell a 100# bw bull so let's make him 82#.  I have this late Jan. heifer and everyone knows that you want to be in the March class, that's generally where your winners come from and you know you have to change your birth dates at least a month to compete, she looks like a March, so let's just say she is a March.
The show ring is a multi-billion dollar industry, the example above isn't an exception it is the norm, how can any of you honestly think that you have genuine EPD's and I don't care how honest the breed is you are dealing with?

knabe

that's why i just said forget it, let my heifers put 6 more months on before i bred them, and one still had a heavy calf from a -bw bull.

i think i'll just do what dl does, breed them to another breed as heifers.  it's apparently just not that important to have that first calf out of a recent bull.

also, hair.  if almost all the hair is cut off, isn't type of hair more important than how long it is?

for example, i agree midas has no hair, may be a tad hard doing, but his mothering ability appears to be at the top.

the angus111

Jill.here is my take on the whole deal,being a angus guy.show people in our breed generally dont use EPD's or dont care.in the AAA if a AI SIRE is used enough,you will get the truth on him,even with cheaters.as I said before IMO, the AAA is the only breed assn I would put stock into there EPD'S.AAA is data hungry.Rusty