What are your have to have bulls this year?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Well, it's one of my favorite times of the year! I'm starting to get semen catalogs & price lists. My hubby swears I get an eye twitch from looking at so many bulls! Now w/ the internet & services like www.cattle.com you can actually see bulls walk in the videos.

What are some of your hot picks for this year? Are you looking for more clubby or maternal bulls? Will you stick w/ your herd bulls?

I know this year I'll get more Hard Core semen. If the little red bull keeps devolping I might have to get some more Triple X. I think for my Gold Club heifer & maybe Wild Rose, I'm going to use Gigolo Joe. I want to see how my Money Man's turn out to see how much I'll use him. I'd like to try RSC's Dr bull too. I try to go more maternal than clubby. Also like higher % Maines. I think I'll use clean bulls this year not knowing how the AMMA will go w/ their policies.

Any thoughts? Any bulls to watch that you think will be hot?

Red

DL

I must have more GIZMO.....must have more GIZMO.......must have more GIZMO......I must have more GIZMO.....must have more GIZMO.......must have more GIZMO (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

showsteerdlux

I think I'm gonna try to get some hard core, kojack, golden child, and carnac. Whether I use these or let the bull do his job IDK yet. I'm also thinking about going ahead and buying some embryos. I also take care of a friends herd and he is replacing the 98 and 99 cows and getting some halfblood angus/hereford baldy heifers that we'll breed to either an angus or maybe money man.
I think that the Kojack bull will be hot and of course everything that Lautner and caldwell introduced will probably get used heavily.
I also have been impressed with the doc bull ever since I 1st saw his pic when he was 6 months old. Looks like he should produce some dandys.

afhm

With as much as I have in the tank already I won't be adding much other than Point Taken, a little more Proud Jazz, Sonny N Clear (depending on what the cows bred to Proud Jazz have this year)OCC Freestlye and possibly either some OCC Legend or OCC Just Right.

red

hum, I was wondering about him & my WarHorse cvow. THC/PHAF
Want pictures of your Gizmo.

Red

Jill

For the Maines we like Gigolo Joe, Dr. Who and Open Bar, heifers on Money Man and Jakes Proud Jazz, have a really nice purbred Angus we're going to flush to Irish Whiskey and thinking about Old School and have several that will continue to use Heat Wave on, not really sold on anything new at this point.  We put in 20-25 embryo's a year and will again this year.
I decided that the Maines decision to not register free cattle is like cutting off your nose to spite your face, it isn't going to stop me from breeding to Heat Wave, they can still be registered Chi and there is still a huge market for them.  I can understand a vote to not register carrier cattle, don' t even have a question there, but free out of carriers to me is just a loss of revenue.

knabe

Jill said:
I decided that the Maines decision to not register free cattle is like cutting off your nose to spite your face, it isn't going to stop me from breeding to Heat Wave, they can still be registered Chi and there is still a huge market for them.  I can understand a vote to not register carrier cattle, don' t even have a question there, but free out of carriers to me is just a loss of revenue.

has something changed here?  i thought only bulls were going to be unregisterable as carriers after 2009 or something and that females were ok to register as carriers.

my must have list that i will be picking from
gigolo joe
majors money man
total package (depends on what they look like)
SAR he's a lad
gvc momentum
bouncer
fr magic 179x (only one i don't have semen on)  anyone want to sell?

knabe

didn't see anything in either the estate or maine listing.  they probably have some stored for someone.

shortyjock89

Perfect Timing (I know, no one saw that coming lol)  We will breed the majority of our cows to him...we just really like him alot.
Gigolo Joe (We're breeding a 3/4 Shorthorn heifer to him)
PB Kryptonite (Probably goin to use on a cow or two that are a little too clubby)
Ar Su Lu Tonic (Maybe on my Perfect Timing heifer..I still need to find a bull for her)
Jake's Proud Jazz (on the heifer we got from Duis, probably)
Hoosier Hot Shot  (Maybe on a Waukaru Minnie cow...dad is in love with this bull, for a black one anyhow.

justme

I'm not sure yet, we don't start calving until March so I have to wait and see.  Probably some more to CTL Success, Money Man, HardCore, Mama's Boy, and Gigilo Joe (I really want to sneak up to Common Senses to see some calves out of him)

None of the new bulls tripped my trigger.

Gizmo...I tried him for serveral years and never got one to stick.  It was a shame...I really wanted a pretty roan calf.

shortyjock89

justme said:
None of the new bulls tripped my trigger.

I didn't find anything in the Shorthorn category in the way of new bulls that really set me off either.  I really did like RSC's calf ever since he was a young'n..  I also like the Eye Candy bull, but we don't use these "clubby" crossbred bulls on more than one or two cows every year.  I think that once some people get calves on the ground out of the new bulls, I'll take a second look and see if there are any worth using.  I consider all the bulls on my list "proven" with the exception of Perfect Timing, but I like what I have seen so far out of him.

Jill

knabe said:
Jill said:

has something changed here?  i thought only bulls were going to be unregisterable as carriers after 2009 or something and that females were ok to register as carriers.

my must have list that i will be picking from
The 2nd part of the equation was you can't register offspring out of any non registered carrier bulls, so heifers out of Heat Wave, Theobald 969, Double Stuff etc. no longer quality in the Maine books.

Doc

CF Primo x (really pleased with his calves)
Red Vision x ( like what I've seen, got 1 ET coming)
Mjrs Money Man ( on 2 Shorthorn PB hfrs)
Habenaro (flushing my X-Ray sister to him)
& a few embryo's

shortdawg

Primo, Jake's Proud Jazz, Witchdoctor, and I'm looking forward to seeing what my little JPJ bull is going to do.

Telos

6M Ranch - The heifer in your Avatar looks awefully nice. What is she? Her sire might be a 'have to have'.

Telos

DL said:
I must have more GIZMO.....must have more GIZMO.......must have more GIZMO......I must have more GIZMO.....must have more GIZMO.......must have more GIZMO (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

Hey DL, congrats on your Gizmo x Lamont mating. Lamont still looks great for her age and especially her calf. Great looking calf crop, too.

frostback

Liked Point Taken at Denver and may use him some. Also need to find a Charolais bull for heifers. No shorthorns this year. :'(

showsteerdlux

Not to get off subject but I noticed back in november and december that May offered interest on Point taken. Boy now I wish i would have pursued that because he looks like he is going to be creating some major revenue for the owners.