What is favorite bull brought to your attention thanks to SP?

Help Support Steer Planet:

beebe

mark tenenbaum said:
My cows eat grass or hay even if the grass is extinct like this year. No creep to speak of wean at no later than 6 months-We aint in a very lush environment O0
We were very dry in 2021 but this was the opposite, maybe too wet the grass seemed a little weak but plentiful.  I believe when God created cattle, he did not put them in a feedlot but on pasture.  I am finding that very functional and profitable, especially with grain prices as they are.

beebe

How?

the grading system doesn't yet incorporate tenderness as a quantifiable trait.
Well, that is one of my points. I do not worry about marbling or age much. I want some marbling but my steers probably average mid select. I concentrate on tenderness . I have never had anyone complain about lack of marbling, but I have had many compliments on the tenderness. Why pour the corn to make an animal overly fat to the point that we have to import lean beef to dilute the over fat beef? Did you ever hear of a doctor tell someone to eat as many carbs as they can stand, get very little exercise and lay around in their own waste? Last summer when there were many cattle dying in feedlots in Kansas, I didn't hear of cattle dying in pastures. I think we are feeding these cattle more than is needed because of the grading system. That is enough to start with.

Lucky_P

The Rob Sneed '034' bull - worked well in our commercial herd, over mostly 3/4AN-1/4SM cows. Still have semen in the next-door neighbor's tank, but no cows to put it in...
Used one cane of Captain Obvious semen, but there was no growth there, and got nothing that earned the opportunity to stay - but did have one nice CO daughter that died of tetanus at ~4months.
Always wanted to try some Kaper 4508 and DRC 101VM(Dover)... but never got around to it.

Dragon Lady and the late Dr. Tom Howard pushed me toward Waukaru when we first branched out into using some Shorthorn sires. Waukaru Gold Mine 2109 left some really nice daughters, and was probably my favorite of the Waukaru sires... safe to use on a heifer of any breed. Waukaru Coppertop 464 left some good daughters, too. Steers from both were top-flight.
Waukaru Gold Card, Patent, & Orion brought a lot of growth, but daughters were either too big, or didn't produce enough milk to raise a pygmy goat, and none stayed.

Hopster1000

To answer the title of the thread, I first seen and learned about Cumberland Gay Lad on here. Really liked him.
Managed to get one solitary embryo that was export collected and shipped to Ireland.
He has no direct offspring in the UK and Ireland (although a grandson, Lads Legacy, was used here).
Not had the courage to implant that embryo yet.

beebe

To answer the title of the thread, I first seen and learned about Cumberland Gay Lad on here. Really liked him.
Managed to get one solitary embryo that was export collected and shipped to Ireland.
He has no direct offspring in the UK and Ireland (although a grandson, Lads Legacy, was used here).
Not had the courage to implant that embryo yet.
Who is the dam of your embryo?