What is favorite bull brought to your attention thanks to SP?

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

At least someone is left and I appreciate that If you anaylize him- he resemles the older bulls of the 60s from the side quite a bit-Hes just cleaner made and TWICE as wide as they were-but he moves smooth as silk HOW-do you ask-can I make a judgement call like that? Because I was around purebred Shorthorns and showed at big eastern shows where they came in by rail etc-FROM 1959 until 1966 when we had to sell the cattle. I will always remember CB Teegarden (Oakwood)  LEVELDALE,The Cyrus Eaton Cattle, the Horned Waukaru Cattle, lynwood, Smalstigs from Pa, Leemons and others who showed back here. I distinctly remember some of  the Canadian based cattle I saw too.Like, louada, Aberfeldy, and Scotsdale etc. Those cattle were becoming  beltbuckle plus sized. I had a heifer by the Chicago reserve nat champ who was a little bigger in 65. I was right on the cusp of the dual -grow surge in 1967. Windholme farm had a bigger bull called Dandy of Westdrums -I cant remember but I believe he was Scotch on a Western Canadian polled cow. But there were pockets of very large Shorthorns back then in Va. The world record or something wda and yealing weight close to 1380 prior to 1970  was a Shorthorn at the Culpeper test station who went back to some of those dual cattle.According to a guy I met in 1988-they were "the milkers' that eminated from a couple prison farms from the turn of the Century.The guy who bought all mine ( but one) Had a huge bull from someone named Lucy in Warrenten Va that weighed 2600 plus pounds-This was the 60S and some of those people like the Irish breeders would not adapt belt buckle breeding-introduced I guess in the 30s.Harry Mcann of Winchester Va was third generation of his family to raise Shorthorns and told me alot about the cattle just after the turn of the century. He was 96 or so in 1991-And thier cattle went back to the first Shorthorns that ever came to US Long ago and far away-but I remember that huge bull-He looked sort of like a maine-And they hadnt come here yet O0

mark tenenbaum

GM said:
Mark, unfortunately, you might be the only one left on this site besides the Bots.
  Why thanks-I refer to them as RUGBEETERS OR YACKS OR IN DEFFERENCE TO MY IRISH RUGBY BUDDIES LONG AGO-WOGS  The People of Ukraine have my utmost respect-THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT DEFEAT OR THE THEFT OF THIER HOMELAND AND I PRAY (in my own way) for them daily. SO SHOULD WE-PLANATEERS not let anyone disrupt or tarnish what has been one of the best and most longlived sources of info for ALL CATTLE PEOPLE ON THE WEB ?-JUST JOIN IN ONCE AND WHILE AND POST YOUR OPINIONS OR CATTLE-LOVE TO SEE THEM THERE ARE MANY intelligent well versed people who frequented this site. Hate to see everyone go-Even if they dont like me. SO HEY YOU SLUM DAWG YACKS-IF YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO BRING YOUR REDICULOUS USELESS SPAM AND MESS WITH US AMERICANS AND UNDERMINE A LEGITIMATE SITE ABOUT WHICH YOU HAVE NO CLUE :YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TROUBLE AND AS LONG AS IM AROUND YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE. MAYBE YOU CAN TALK TO SOME SAILOR BOYS PASSING THROUGH AND RECITE SOME OF MY COMMENTS -THEY WILL TRANSLATE FOR YOU O0

beebe

mark tenenbaum said:
At least someone is left and I appreciate that If you anaylize him- he resemles the older bulls of the 60s from the side quite a bit-Hes just cleaner made and TWICE as wide as they were-but he moves smooth as silk HOW-do you ask-can I make a judgement call like that? Because I was around purebred Shorthorns and showed at big eastern shows where they came in by rail etc-FROM 1959 until 1966 when we had to sell the cattle. I will always remember CB Teegarden (Oakwood)  LEVELDALE,The Cyrus Eaton Cattle, the Horned Waukaru Cattle, lynwood, Smalstigs from Pa, Leemons and others who showed back here. I distinctly remember some of  the Canadian based cattle I saw too.Like, louada, Aberfeldy, and Scotsdale etc. Those cattle were becoming  beltbuckle plus sized. I had a heifer by the Chicago reserve nat champ who was a little bigger in 65. I was right on the cusp of the dual -grow surge in 1967. Windholme farm had a bigger bull called Dandy of Westdrums -I cant remember but I believe he was Scotch on a Western Canadian polled cow. But there were pockets of very large Shorthorns back then in Va. The world record or something wda and yealing weight close to 1380 prior to 1970  was a Shorthorn at the Culpeper test station who went back to some of those dual cattle.According to a guy I met in 1988-they were "the milkers' that eHis daughters hminated from a couple prison farms from the turn of the Century.The guy who bought all mine ( but one) Had a huge bull from someone named Lucy in Warrenten Va that weighed 2600 plus pounds-This was the 60S and some of those people like the Irish breeders would not adapt belt buckle breeding-introduced I guess in the 30s.Harry Mcann of Winchester Va was third generation of his family to raise Shorthorns and told me alot about the cattle just after the turn of the century. He was 96 or so in 1991-And thier cattle went back to the first Shorthorns that ever came to US Long ago and far away-but I remember that huge bull-He looked sort of like a maine-And they hadnt come here yet O0
My dad bought a bull from Bert Hanson that was so tall my dad's friend made fun of him. His daughters made sons that won test station gain tests when I thought that was important.

Dale

Our Weston Goliath herd sire was by a Bert Hanson, Shadybrook bull.  Goliath had a larger frame when the big move was getting started.  Gary Kaper got some semen on Goliath, because he greatly admired an Albert Hultine bull back in the pedigree, either (maybe both) King Collynie or King Collynie JR.  Gary sure knew his pedigrees!

beebe

I liked Goliath.  Is there any semen from him still around?

mark tenenbaum

Deertrail Goliath was a good sire too. And not all of them were huge. Byland had a very moderate thick female who was the dam of a bull they had I allways wanted to see Called Byland Budlight He was a CE deal who really didnt get promoted -red moderate framed with a GREAT BIG BUTT Really cool looking-maybe in the wrong place at the wrong time. O0

phillse

Nice to see some good conversations not just the bots.  I guess the bull or bulls this site is responsible for introducing me to is the RS bulls.

Dale

I learned about Rob Sneed (RS) on this forum.  Sneed combined genetics that worked very well in the pasture and the feedlot.  We used the RS "034" bull--have a look at this daughter, her performance awards (5?) and also 034 himself (maybe 7?):

Fair Lady 0811 at one time had 4 daughters running with her in our AI pasture.

034 is a bull that ticked a lot of boxes!

mark tenenbaum

[/quote] My dad bought a bull from Bert Hanson that was so tall my dad's friend made fun of him. His daughters made sons that won test station gain tests when I thought that was important.  It seemed to be at the very onset of "performance testing" Back when things were so rudimentary people would still use a Shorthorn bull. Now more and more of the dwindling population are being bred black. O0

beebe

Yes CAB is an effective marketing ploy.  I don't believe the beef is any better than the other British breeds and I am sure the disposition is not as good as Shorthorns.  I am using Shorthorns in my Grass Finished program and I am very happy with the results.  The USDA grading system is outdated and needs to be changed. The only Angus bull I ever used produced tough beef.

beebe

mark tenenbaum said:
I agree can be tough and dry.The best test is the taste test and percentage of high end carcasses. In some resprects feed helps with marbling- And can be high roughage O0
I can get cattle to finish at 20 to 24 months on nothing but grass and hay.

beebe

mark tenenbaum said:
Must be good grass My personal preference taste wise is some finishing feed prior to processing O0
Native grass and brome alfalfa hay. It is also the genetics.  Early maturing selected for tenderness.  With just grass you get the health benefits of a different ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids plus the conjugated linoleic acid, both said benefit human health.  The animal health is also better on grass, I do not have a sick pen.

mark tenenbaum

Neither do I and If one is not well Im on it I could care less about some earth shoe pompous city  yuppy spouting pretense with no basis . I care about my animals and I will not see one suffer or feel sick. I know what I like and what little beef I have like Dale is pretty well sold out when I have it  O0

beebe

mark tenenbaum said:
Neither do I and If one is not well Im on it I could care less about some earth shoe pompous city  yuppy spouting pretense with no basis . I care about my animals and I will not see one suffer or feel sick. I know what I like and what little beef I have like Dale is p not have well sold out when I have it  O0
That is great.  All I am saying is since I quit feeding grain, I do not have respiratory issues.

beebe

mark tenenbaum said:
We have them due to imported cattle that hit fescue They get pollops and breathe heavily scares me to death but they keep going. No cure. But it is like an allergy-They tone down when the weather cools O0
Thanks for that.  We wean at approximately 10 months and my calves always eat grass or hay.  Since we have gone this way we don't vaccinate anymore and have not had to treat a calf since.  We don't market cattle to cattle buyers so we don't get penalized there.

Latest posts