What's the OLDEST Club Calf Bull on DENVER DISPLAY Anyone Remembers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbh

Just curious on the eve of one of the most anticipated weekends in the CLUB CALF CALENDER YEAR, how far back anyone can remember the display bulls and which ones they were?????

Heat Seeker was my first time there displaying in 1998....I can remember just across the isle and down about two pens was a two year old bull called "WHO MADE WHO".....

jbh

ROMAX said:
Just wondering if Mr Hook was taking a bull this year?

No.......I've learned it's EASIER to let someone else get'em to this point, and if they catch my attention out there for whatever reason, then pursue a piece of them, if it's available.  The "FUN" part of displaying is pretty much out of the equation for me now......I'm look'n at them like buying part of a business. 

The first display bull I ever remember seeing was Sugar Ray when he was just a bull calf.  He was displayed directly in front of the exchange building that year.  Must of been like 1983.  I remember taking picture of him with my 35mm.  He was a real cool dude in those days.  Some breeders thought he was too small-Go figure!

SmokesRule

J Bar T Cattle said:
The first display bull I ever remember seeing was Sugar Ray when he was just a bull calf.  He was displayed directly in front of the exchange building that year.  Must of been like 1983.  I remember taking picture of him with my 35mm.  He was a real cool dude in those days.  Some breeders thought he was too small-Go figure!

this was before my time, but i remember hearing either Sugar Ray or Throttle was displayed with his dam. is this true?

Beau

afhm

Hey JBH we all know you very seldom go somewhere without a camera.  Think you could post some pics of the bulls you took pics of while they were on display in the yards for nostalgia purposes?  I'm sure you have quite a few that went on to greatness and many that fizzled, it would be interesting to see their pics from back then.

justintime

J Bar T Cattle said:

You are exactly right about Sugar Ray being in front of the Exchange Building in 83. We were located close to his stall with a group of Shorthorn calves sired by IDS Duke of Dublin. We had 14 calves and sold 12 of them out of the stall for an average of over $3200. I just punched that into a inflation calculator and it said that would be equivalent to averaging $6830 today.... now I know why I had more money in those days than I do today!!!

I also remember the talk about Sugar Ray... and many said he was a nice calf but too small. He would be extreme today by all standards.

cookcattleco

Do you stil have the picture you took.  I would love to see it

J Bar T Cattle said:

jbh

afhm said:
Hey JBH we all know you very seldom go somewhere without a camera.  Think you could post some pics of the bulls you took pics of while they were on display in the yards for nostalgia purposes?  I'm sure you have quite a few that went on to greatness and many that fizzled, it would be interesting to see their pics from back then.

I'll see what I can do........

mark tenenbaum

jbh said:
Just curious on the eve of one of the most anticipated weekends in the CLUB CALF CALENDER YEAR, how far back anyone can remember the display bulls and which ones they were?????

Heat Seeker was my first time there displaying in 1998....I can remember just across the isle and down about two pens was a two year old bull called "WHO MADE WHO".....I took a bunch of heetseeker pics in 98-I remember looking at him with Wendall Dunn-I had visited him in 97 and saw this really cool month old caf-just posing right and left-I said"man you aint gonna steer him are you_he said dont know-I said youd be nutts" Well-it turned out that he got close but didnt-it was Double Vision O0 <beer>

jbh

jbh said:
afhm said:

I'll see what I can do........

My picture posting skills are not real good yet....but here comes a few.....

Attachments

• Friction.jpg
    Friction.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Friction sign.jpg
    Friction sign.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,084

jbh

I believe these are all 2002.....

Attachments

• Xray pic.jpg
    Xray pic.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 612
  • Pale Face stall.jpg
    Pale Face stall.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 861
  • Pale Face tied.jpg
    Pale Face tied.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 798

jbh

More from 2003.....

Attachments

• Flush Clones sign.jpg
    Flush Clones sign.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 602
  • 2003 Contagious.jpg
    2003 Contagious.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 792
  • 2003 American Outlaw.jpg
    2003 American Outlaw.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 620

jbh

More from 2003......(was on vacation)...and looked like a good year NOT to have a bull there!!!

Attachments

• Undisputed.jpg
    Undisputed.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 671
  • Wazn't Me2.jpg
    Wazn't Me2.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 673
  • Wazn't Me.jpg
    Wazn't Me.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 661

jbh

And 2004......I've got some older ones taken with a 35mm in like 98 and 99 and maybe 2000.....but I"ll have to scan them.

Attachments

• Sin City sign.jpg
    Sin City sign.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 587
  • Sin City.jpg
    Sin City.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 663
  • Lauterbachs.jpg
    Lauterbachs.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 456

TMJ Show Cattle

Yes, ole Sugar Ray was the talk of the times. Still quite alot of his influence going strong today.I still enjoy listening to Bob talk about Super Mom and how he came to own her, and what convinced him to keep "sugar" as a bull...... I also remember when KB had Habenero out and about along with a Red Bull t6hat I have forgotten. Seen WMH get out of a trailer in Okla as a calf and thought about how straight he was on all corners. Sonofagun sure left a great legacy for clubbies though.I believe Pokemon was with him and boy he was small.

Sammy

small reminds me of Warhorse - a shaggy little one - a yearling and still not waist tall - probably weighed 700-800, maybe- thanks much for the photos, reminds me of the fun days with good weather to view cattle - the bad times were often at the end of a long day of too-straight bulls standing tied all day and watching them struggle to walk back to their pens in the yard -