What's the OLDEST Club Calf Bull on DENVER DISPLAY Anyone Remembers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Throttle

DTW said:
Looking at those pictures i can remember the pasture that godfather and his mother were running in that summer before Denver.  and remember how great he looked the minute he stood up.
looks pretty good on display there but then i remember he wouldnt freeze so we bred him naturally to cows that summer.
Only one problem he was to short to reach the cows.  So we build a ramp with gates on the sides and hauled the cows home from pasture when they were in heat so Godfather could breed them.  Talk about along breeding season.

And wow i never saw the calve picture of sugar ray.  Hard to believe some of the good calves we got out of him years ago. 

Had a buddy call me that summer and tell me he just saw the best one ever to walk, shortly after seeing Godfather in the pasture as a calf. Didn't he sell like $40,000 for half or something astronomical like that?

zak

Iittle off topic but at the eggs on snow sale and the smimmagic sale do you have to get dressed up?

Zak

GoWyo

As our old football coach said when telling us to wear ties and slacks on game day: "if you look sharp, you will feel sharp and you will be sharp." 8)

zak

I just got to Denver tonight. I already walked through some of the yards.!!!!!!!!!! Saw some of the displays of the bulls. By far the nicest display was habgers. I am pretty sure the bulls name was prefect wave. Lautner had like 5-10 bulls out there. I saw the 1st pic of walks on water!! By the time I got there all the animals were at tie outs. I was blown away ( my 1st time at Denver)

Zak

shortyjock89

Hey Zak, wait until tomorrow when the bulls come out to strut their stuff!  I've been here a week, and it's been a blast (as always), but a week feels like a month out here lol.  I'll be checking out the bulls tomorrow for sure, hope to meet some of you there!

shortyjock89

zach said:
Pics or it didn't happen Justin... for tomorrow I mean.

Ole Totten bought a brand new fancy camera for just that sort of occasion, and we're gonna wear that sucker out tomorrow and Saturday.

MYT Farms

OFS, I plan on being in Denver at 9:30 or so Saturday morning. Can't wait. And I also can't sleep. NWSS excitement I guess.

SmokesRule

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Hey Zak, wait until tomorrow when the bulls come out to strut their stuff!  I've been here a week, and it's been a blast (as always), but a week feels like a month out here lol.  I'll be checking out the bulls tomorrow for sure, hope to meet some of you there!

Any of you guys that are out there, if you could snap a picture of a monopoly smoke bull of lautners that scotten bros raised? i think he's supposed to be out there. he's a maternal sib to the steer in my avatar pic.  was wondering what he looked like. thanks!

DTW

Throttle said:
DTW said:
Looking at those pictures i can remember the pasture that godfather and his mother were running in that summer before Denver.  and remember how great he looked the minute he stood up.
looks pretty good on display there but then i remember he wouldnt freeze so we bred him naturally to cows that summer.
Only one problem he was to short to reach the cows.  So we build a ramp with gates on the sides and hauled the cows home from pasture when they were in heat so Godfather could breed them.  Talk about along breeding season.

And wow i never saw the calve picture of sugar ray.  Hard to believe some of the good calves we got out of him years ago. 

Had a buddy call me that summer and tell me he just saw the best one ever to walk, shortly after seeing Godfather in the pasture as a calf. Didn't he sell like $40,000 for half or something astronomical like that?

You are correct.  I am pretty sure that is what he sold half of him for.  Godfather was a stud out in that pasture.  Big boned deep bodied and hairy.  And he was out of a dam good looking maine angus cow.  Just had to be careful on structure when breeding him.  Downfall was PHAC.
And my foundation cows came from the same place his mother did.  No wonder i have some PHAC cows.

Jill

Here is an overhead picture of Denver 2006, it is something everyone needs to experience at least once in a lifetime, you can't even begin to imagine how many people are packed into this area, it is awesome!

RSC

Bump. Googled for an old bull and found this thread.

Any more Denver Bull pictures of the past?

Great thread.

crushertown

Great post. Show us some more pics.  My AG teacher in high school has a lot of cows with sugar ray in them and I had to show him that pic.  Lol. He said don't believe that pic he threw power and for his time he was like heatwave.

jd438

jbh said:
Telos said:
I thought Cheap Trick had the prefect pedigree for making females. Brad, how have they faired? Don't hear much about him.

There was a high dollar heifer in the Dakotas a couple years ago that was out of a Cheap Trick dam and you occasionally here of others popping up every now and then......IDK....he was just kinda weird.....sometimes they were HARD, sometimes they were SOFT,  he had a few big time winners.......but just didn't do enough GOOD, probably, to hang around forever.  He was a good lookin display bull though! (for what that's worth)
We had a Cheap Trick cow that we had real good luck with, she had a ton of hair for the time.  When mated to clubby bulls they seemed a little hard.  We had good luck mating that cow to sim and simangus bulls.  You could count on those calves having a huge hip and great front every time.  Still have that family running around.