What's the OLDEST Club Calf Bull on DENVER DISPLAY Anyone Remembers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbh

J Bar T Cattle said:

That is an AWESOME pic......I forgot we used to put display cattle on plywood ramps with astro turf carpeting on them!

SmokesRule

its funny his bday is posted March 21, 1982, making him about 9 months old in denver '83..... look how tall he is on that gate beside him....  now compare that to display bulls from the last 6-7 yrs..... you could probably stand most bulls in denver this year of similar age underneath him and their toplines wouldn't touch his belly....

jbw

I love the guts and spring of forerib!!  ;)  I am going to show this pic. to a buddy of mine that wanted to use him.

jbh

ROMAX said:
Was he actually black,pics of him as a mature bull he looked more like he was marked like a jersey?

As I remember him MATURE....he actually had alot of silver in him....along with black, brown, tan....etc.....  Used him on little Angus cows and....for the times....he did a great job.  Actually won the Louisville prospect show with one.....well, Massman won it with one I raised and sold him for $750.....he broght $5,000 in the sale!  That was huge money for that day and age.  As I remember, he became alot BLACKER later in life after he was weaned!! lol

Probably 5 or 6 years ago a guy in Illinois that I had sold a little, real cool, Heat Seeker heifer to flushed her to Sugar Ray......there was a bull kept and used out of the mating...but I never saw any calves out of him to know if it worked.....He looked plenty big as I remember, but interesting though.

jbw

Gray Hair!!!

I remember seeing Black Power Play at the IA State Fair. I could not beleive how big he was!!

olsun

On the subject of pictures, why have I never seen a picture of Heat Seeker's sire, Debull ? Was he ever in Denver ? Just curious.

jbh

olsun said:
On the subject of pictures, why have I never seen a picture of Heat Seeker's sire, Debull ? Was he ever in Denver ? Just curious.

He broke or injured a hip/stifle at a young age and was NEVER very pretty to look at.....he could still kinda breed cows for a while....but the older he got, the worse it got. 

My first BIG winner(Chief/Mannings) that I actually raised was based on a mating decision of me asking Tyrone questions about Debulls phenotype and etc....and then I mated the cows I thought would work.....AND IT DID....that was his first calf crop, and he went on to sire MANY WINNERS! 

I've often wondered if we as breeders would be BETTER OFF without pictures of the bulls!  Tyrone Hullinger is a LEGEND, but he had a reputation for using his herd sires much like a car company uses CRASH DUMMIES! lol  Another popular bull he had at the time named 8 Ball broke his leg......BUT, boy they were TOUGH!(and good)

blackcows

Very cool pictures.  I don't remeber the first clubby bull that I saw in Denver but it sure seems like that row of Herford bulls standing on the plywood ramps has been there forever.  I first went to the Stock Show about 25 years ago and have been there ever year since and they always seem to be there and I always think how much it would suck to set up all those plywood ramps.

SmokesRule

blackcows said:
Very cool pictures.  I don't remeber the first clubby bull that I saw in Denver but it sure seems like that row of Herford bulls standing on the plywood ramps has been there forever.  I first went to the Stock Show about 25 years ago and have been there ever year since and they always seem to be there and I always think how much it would suck to set up all those plywood ramps.

When i first went out to Denver in '04, i asked the guys i was with what the deal was with those ENORMOUS hereford bulls on the wooden ramps up by the display bulls. They said the same thing you did, they've been there for as long as they could remember. Anyone got the story on that rig? I'm with you on setting up that stall would suck. And how thick of wood is that made of cuz if i remember right every one of those bulls weighed over a ton the year i was out there. Do they take those bulls out there to sell or is there some market for semen on them?

Beau

jbh

blackcows said:

As I remember....that's actually more of an elevated PLATFORM.......if you look at Sugar Ray's it was actually sloped......that's the ones I remember.....sometimes a ridiculous angle too.

mark tenenbaum

cookcattleco said:
Does anybody have an old picture of Warhorse from denver  I would love to see that one I have several-there was a good looking blonde girl who lead him out and walked him, so Id have to get someone to scan them- I had a bull on the hill called Jr Walker that was clubby and actually got some good comments-Wendall Dunn thought he was good-and of course the calf was last in the show. Wendall  has a great sense of humor-and I remember cracking up laughing going out of the ring-judge wasnt happy-had nothing to do with it.Woulda been Denver 98 -I believe O0

jbh

beefy08 said:
jbh, Ludicrous was owned by Bruce Egbert and someone else wasn't he?

Bruce raised him.....I sold him in the Pasture to Purple Sale to Champ Davis in Texas.

DTW

Looking at those pictures i can remember the pasture that godfather and his mother were running in that summer before Denver.  and remember how great he looked the minute he stood up.
looks pretty good on display there but then i remember he wouldnt freeze so we bred him naturally to cows that summer.
Only one problem he was to short to reach the cows.  So we build a ramp with gates on the sides and hauled the cows home from pasture when they were in heat so Godfather could breed them.  Talk about along breeding season.

And wow i never saw the calve picture of sugar ray.  Hard to believe some of the good calves we got out of him years ago. 

farmboy

DTW said:
Looking at those pictures i can remember the pasture that godfather and his mother were running in that summer before Denver.  and remember how great he looked the minute he stood up.
looks pretty good on display there but then i remember he wouldnt freeze so we bred him naturally to cows that summer.
Only one problem he was to short to reach the cows.  So we build a ramp with gates on the sides and hauled the cows home from pasture when they were in heat so Godfather could breed them.  Talk about along breeding season.

And wow i never saw the calve picture of sugar ray.  Hard to believe some of the good calves we got out of him years ago. 

(lol) (lol)

Sammy

I think that those big-footed Herefords were Ochs Brothers from Gunnison, CO - not sure the are still in business as the brothers were older fellows -

Throttle

jbh said:
blackcows said:

As I remember....that's actually more of an elevated PLATFORM.......if you look at Sugar Ray's it was actually sloped......that's the ones I remember.....sometimes a ridiculous angle too.

We used to set up that way at shows and sales with calves too. Kept em on the sloped turf all day then tied them out at night. Seems really goofy now ::)