Where are you from

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

knabe, otherwise known as DB cooper, thread hijacker, lives in hollister cali,

hey lucky you.

doubled

I want to say thank you to all who have participated in this, I love it, I always wonderded where some of you are from- the pictures and stories are awesome (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

maverick

chambero said:
maverick said:
In the San Juan Mountains of Colorado in a small town called Norwood. We are 35 miles away from the ski resort town called Telluride. 

I've been through Norwood.  My dad used to hunt up on the Uncompaghre Plateau back in the 70s.  I've been up there once hunting myself and driven through Norwood several times on summer trips.  Usually wind up in Gunnison (fishing) or Meeker (hunting) nowadays.

Didn't yall used to have a big prairie dog hunt that got a little controversial?  I think I remember protest signs or something a long time ago while driving through.  We got a pretty good chuckle about it.

Chambero,

Nucla - 20 miles down the road was was were the prairie dog hunt was held.  It lasted about three years and of course there were animal right activist protestes.
I am not sure why they stopped the hunt.  There are still thousand of prairie dogs around here, shooting prairie dogs is a favorite pastime of many of the locals.  Many people who have not lived around prairie dogs can not understand how anyone could shot something so cute.  When you see how they ruin hay fields and pastures and see a horse that has broken a leg in a prairie dog hole, you don't think they are so cute any more.  My mother in law has the perfect description of them, she calls them the acne of the earth.  If you fly over prairie dog towns they look like acne. Prairie dogs also carry the plague, ever few year they catch the plague and die out for a while.  I neighbor  girl caught the plague and almost died.  If you ever want to shot prairie  dogs we always have plenty!

My family are huge hunting fanatics.  Do you know what part of the Uncompaghre Plateau your dad hunted? My family are huge hunting fanatics.  The elk hunting is better around here than the deer hunting right know.  There are plenty of bucks to shoot but they are not very heavy horned.  Every hunter that hunts on are place alway files their buck tag. 

There is a lake outside of Norwood, Miromonte,  that is full of those great salmon colored trout. It is a favorite fishing hole of many people. 

mrs sawboss

Sawboss and I live in Deep East Texas---The Oldest Town in Texas which is Nacogdoches.  We are about 2 1/2 hours north of Houston and 3 hours south of Dallas.  We are about 1 1/2 hours  west of Shreveport, Louisiana.  Our children are the 5th generation to live on the farm that we currently reside on.  It originally belonged to my great-grand parents.  You may remember that the space shuttle blew up over us in 2003.  Stephen F. Austin State University is located in Nacogdoches.

4Ts4H

ROAD WARRIOR said:
4Ts4H said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:
The arm pit of Iowa

Where in the heck is IA's armpit???  We are up on the windy flats in NW Iowa.  O'brien county.

That little part of Iowa that Illinois and Missouri neither one wanted! RW
Ahh yes.  No wonder I didn't know that - we are about as far apart as two can get in this state!!!

Bawndoh

justintime said:
I am 15 miles south of Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Canada... or 30 miles straight north of the ND/ Montana state line ... or 800 miles north west of Omaha,800 miles north east of Denver...or 1000 miles from Chicago or Kansas City... or about 1520 miles from Louisville, or 1570 miles from Toronto.  I am about as far from water as you can get on this continent. It is so flat where I live that on a clear day I can see the back of my head.
My hometown of Weyburn is famous for the invention of LSD. Yup.... that's right..... LSD was invented here and it was used experimently on mental patients at first.   No.... I was not one of them!!!!

Ha Ha...I like all the comments about how many miles you are away from everywhere.  The other day I figured out that I could drive to Texas in about one full day.  It was a tiny, yet exciting discovery...haha.  Anyhow, I had a judging competition in Weyburn a few years ago in the late summer.  My mom showed me the old asaylum and WOW, that place is creepy in the middle of the day!  I also saw a documentry of it on TV about a year ago.  Are they still using it for something?

aj

At one time lsd was a legal perscription drug but it became illegal in the late 60's.1960's.

oakbar

I've heard people describe a town they didn't like in Iowa as the "armpit" but I've never heard anyone say they're from there!!

I tell my friends in Minnesota that we live so close to MN that we're not quite in it--but we can smell it from where we live.  Literally, that's true because when the wind is out of the NW we can detect the wonderful "stale beer" smell of the ethanol plant in Glenville, MN about 7-8 miles away.  They installed some new filters a while ago though so we don't usually smell it anymore.  All in good fun--we really enjoy our MN neighbors--although we call anyone from MN who marries an Iowan a "social climber" and if they live here long enough they even seem to fit in--kind of!! 

I know, I know there's a thousand acronyms for the letters I O W A.  My favorite is I Owe the World an Apology!!

shorthorns r us

My wife is from a small town just 6 mile east of the arkansas state line.  I call her a LAPLANDER.  that is where arkansas spills over into Oklahoma.  Because of all the chicken growers in western arkansas, i say that you can smell arkansas she lived so close.

Garybob, no offense intended.  (lol)  ;D  O0

loveRedcows

Podunk New Mexico -- good ol Portales, close enough to wave at Texas but nowhere close to anything!  But we love it, small town morals & a great place to raise kids & grandkids.  PS..this has been a great topic.

mikey

Near Albany,Texas    HELLO TO ALL!!!!!                                                                                       

doubled

mikey said:
             Near Albany,Texas    HELLO TO ALL!!!!!                                                                                         

Welcome to steer planet (welcome)

Nasc

Another blast from the steerplanet forum past.

Don’t know how I missed this one the first time around but it made for a nice read this morning.

BTW The Nasc clan is from Ross County  “Chillicothe Oh”  about an hour south of Columbus and I would guess we are about an hour north of Zach & Luke.

Attachments

• ohio countiesblack.jpg
    ohio countiesblack.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 518