Where eat in denver

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

La Loma is my favorite.  It is a Mexican place, south of NWSS, go south on I-25 and west on Spear Blvd.  Here is the website:  www.lalomarestaurant.com/contactus.html  

The are some real fancy steakhouses downtown.  I'm a cheap date, so when we go downtown (16th st) we go to the Spaghetti Factory.  There are also several good BBQ places.  One is near the hotels off of Peoria.  It's Bennett's Pit BBQ.  www.bennettsbbq.com

If you like wild game there is an old west place called the Buckhorn Exchange.  Mr. aj tells me he likes the steakhouse down on Colorado Ave.   ;D haha

Tell me what hotel you are at and I will try to help!

6M Ranch

Need to drive a little ways from downtonw Denver.  Too pricey.  Too many people who come to visit make the mistake of trying to stay and eat close to the show.  Lot of good places within 30 minutes of the NWSS, depending on what kind of food you want.

itk

If you are wanting to have fun and don't care about the quality of food as much take them to Casa Bonitas. www.casabonitadenver.com/

dori36

showcattlegal said:
Where are some good places to eat during the stock show. I'm bringing some friends that have never been, I want to show them a good time.

My thinking is that you can take your friends to city restaurants any time.  But, if I were bringing friends who had never been to the NWSS, I'd like them to get a feel  for
the amazing history and tradition of the Stock Show.  So, I'd be sure to grab at least one meal in the Exchange Building restaurant.  "Everyone" ends up there at
one time or another.  Casual, a bit frantic at times, rustic, and terrific beef no matter which cut you try.  And, if you know anyone who is a member of the National Western Club, that would be
my first choice.  Talk about tradition and a gathering of great cattlemen/women from all over the world.  You do have to be a member, or have a member's pass to get in.

Then, as long as your at the Exchange Building, cross the street and show them the hall of champions in the Livestock Center Auction Arena.  Wow, what a different set of cattle
are pictured there!  You and your friends might also enjoy reading the history of the NWSS.  You can access it from www.nationalwestern.com.  Have a great time!  This is the first year I h aven't gone
in about the last 15.

shortdawg

The best place I've eaten out there is Willie G's. A little pricey but great food. Also, Ted's Montana Grill is pretty good.

aj

There was a place in downtown Limon that I always like. It is a modern looking building but it had the old long bar deal up front. It had kind of a western theme to it...john wayne pictures and stuff. One saturday night we were coming home from denver on I-70 and stopped there. There was a bunch of locals in there(cowboys and farmers) and it was kinda neat. It was probably the only spot for a 100 miles around there or whatever. Limon is in the middle of nowhere. I've even stayed in Limon before so it is I-70 all the way to the stockyards. It seemed like the deal in Limon had decent mexican food. Another time i was coming home form the stock show and stopped in there about 3 in the afternoon to eat. There was a 78 year old guy in there that was local. I talked to him for a couple hours and he was fascinating to talk to. It was like right out of a Jerry Jeff Walker song or something. Limon is probably a hour out of denver at least though.

cowz

showcattlegal said:
Where is the Exchange Building restaurant?

The exchange building is the big brick bldg on the south side of the yards, next to the auction arena.....go upstairs, find the cafe.  The smothered burritos are awsome!  Go up there for lunch, too crowded at night.

cowz

aj said:
There was a place in downtown Limon that I always like. It is a modern looking building but it had the old long bar deal up front. It had kind of a western theme to it...john wayne pictures and stuff. One saturday night we were coming home from denver on I-70 and stopped there. There was a bunch of locals in there(cowboys and farmers) and it was kinda neat. It was probably the only spot for a 100 miles around there or whatever. Limon is in the middle of nowhere. I've even stayed in Limon before so it is I-70 all the way to the stockyards. It seemed like the deal in Limon had decent mexican food. Another time i was coming home form the stock show and stopped in there about 3 in the afternoon to eat. There was a 78 year old guy in there that was local. I talked to him for a couple hours and he was fascinating to talk to. It was like right out of a Jerry Jeff Walker song or something. Limon is probably a hour out of denver at least though.

That is the Southside Grill.  Good green chili!  Also, There is a great grandma style cafe...Ruby's...close to the movie theater.  (Yes, Limon has movies on weekends.) ;D

COd

There are quite a few restaraunts out in that area.

garybob

cowz said:
La Loma is my favorite.  It is a Mexican place, south of NWSS, go south on I-25 and west on Spear Blvd.  Here is the website:  www.lalomarestaurant.com/contactus.html  

The are some real fancy steakhouses downtown.  I'm a cheap date, so when we go downtown (16th st) we go to the Spaghetti Factory.  There are also several good BBQ places.  One is near the hotels off of Peoria.  It's Bennett's Pit BBQ.  www.bennettsbbq.com

If you like wild game there is an old west place called the Buckhorn Exchange.  Mr. aj tells me he likes the steakhouse down on Colorado Ave.   ;D haha

You guys on here amaze me. Y'uns rant all the time about "english only spoken here", or some other Xenophobic rant. May i suggest that Y'all's French, Polish, German, Czech, Swedish, Danish,Italian and Norwegian ancestors didn't learn English, past the "survival English" level, but their children did. Nothing has changed.In those close-knit Ranching and farming towns with VERY "ethinic" names in the affore-mentioned languages, your proud, European ancestors hung together, spoke their old, native language, had their own mini-economies, and didn't learn to read English (I'm sure their children always translated for them, as the succeeding generation attended public schools) for DECADES. Many of these people NEVER attempted to mater the English language, proudly and defiantly, until the day they died.
Read the book, by Upton Sinclair, titled "The Jungle. The USA has always had various cultures with their uniquenesses.
The Moto on the statue of Liberty has been replaced, that's for sure.

Whine & Growl about not being able to buy Gravy on your Fries at Mickey-D's by the NWSS grounds, THEN turn around and say a Mexican restaurant close to that part of Denver is a "good eat".
Sorry Cowz, I just think you guys up north and out west have more racism than us Southerners do.
GB

dori36

garybob said:
cowz said:

If you like wild game there is an old west place called the Buckhorn Exchange.  Mr. aj tells me he likes the steakhouse down on Colorado Ave.  ;D haha

You guys on here amaze me. Y'uns rant all the time about "english only spoken here", or some other Xenophobic rant. May i suggest that Y'all's French, Polish, German, Czech, Swedish, Danish,Italian and Norwegian ancestors didn't learn English, past the "survival English" level, but their children did. Nothing has changed.In those close-knit Ranching and farming towns with VERY "ethinic" names in the affore-mentioned languages, your proud, European ancestors hung together, spoke their old, native language, had their own mini-economies, and didn't learn to read English (I'm sure their children always translated for them, as the succeeding generation attended public schools) for DECADES. Many of these people NEVER attempted to mater the English language, proudly and defiantly, until the day they died.
Read the book, by Upton Sinclair, titled "The Jungle. The USA has always had various cultures with their uniquenesses.
The Moto on the statue of Liberty has been replaced, that's for sure.

Whine & Growl about not being able to buy Gravy on your Fries at Mickey-D's by the NWSS grounds, THEN turn around and say a Mexican restaurant close to that part of Denver is a "good eat".
Sorry Cowz, I just think you guys up north and out west have more racism than us Southerners do.
GB

What on earth are you talkin' about!!??

aj

Telos...to heck with the chinese...the old volga-germans eat raw hamburger with their beer in ellis county kansas. 30 years ago when they were alive they still spoke the language of the old country. These people invented the stone fence post and they didn't use performance enhancing drugs, just good beer and a little wodka. ;)

cowz

Gary Bob,

Just for clarification, I am NOT biggoted.  Some of my best friends are Hispanic.  One thing that most people do not know about Colorado is that half of the Hispanic families that reside here were here 200 years ago.  They were here first, Spanish and Ute were the first languages spoken here.  The white settlers came here during the 2nd gold rush in 1860's.

I have some dear friends that ranch in the San Luis Valley.  Their family owned the ranch when it was a Spanish Land Grant before statehood.  They call themselves "Mexicans".  We do not call it Spanish food, or TexMex.  Here we call it Mexican and it is not meant or taken as derrogatory in any way.  Half of the streets in our bigger towns have Spanish Names.  It has always been this way and those of us that live here think nothing of it.  If I sent the NWSS folks to a Soul Food place called "Babes Soul Food", would you also take offense?

DLD

GB, that one came outta left field...  ???

Cowz, my trip to Denver's never quite complete if I don't make it to Bennets. Of course, we usually stay in one of the motels near there.

Oh, and btw I love Mexican food, too. I think maybe some folks don't quite understand that the Mexican culture has always been a big part of the southwestern U.S., since long before it became the U.S.

Jill

cowz said:
Gary Bob,

Just for clarification, I am NOT biggoted.  Some of my best friends are Hispanic.  One thing that most people do not know about Colorado is that half of the Hispanic families that reside here were here 200 years ago.  They were here first, Spanish and Ute were the first languages spoken here.  The white settlers came here during the 2nd gold rush in 1860's.

I have some dear friends that ranch in the San Luis Valley.  Their family owned the ranch when it was a Spanish Land Grant before statehood.  They call themselves "Mexicans".  We do not call it Spanish food, or TexMex.  Here we call it Mexican and it is not meant or taken as derrogatory in any way.  Half of the streets in our bigger towns have Spanish Names.   It has always been this way and those of us that live here think nothing of it.   If I sent the NWSS folks to a Soul Food place called "Babes Soul Food", would you also take offense?

Denver has some very good Mexican restaurants and there a couple within a few miles that are authentic, I don't understand what the issue is?