Who raised this shorthornplus...?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dvrom

Nate Tice is one of the "professors" for stock show U and helps with their show cattle and with the sales and i think he helps with fitting at shows.

shortyjock89

outspoken said:
so who is this Tice?  He must be one hell of an evaluater, feeder, or sweet talker.

And what does "works for him" mean?  Is he on payroll, or just chore boy at the shows?

I'm guessing there are quite a few "chore boys" that know a good bit more about shorthorn cattle than you do.

twistedhshowstock

Ok...here is my question, WHO CARES??? Cant you people find anything better to do than sit around and try to create drama about people??? 
Here is the way I see it, if you dont currently, or never did own this heifer or arent owed money on this heifer, then how in the hell does it concern you?  What is "false advertising" about it, they sold they heifer and bought her back, they have never tried to hide that fact.  The way I see it is Sullivan agreed to and sold the heifer at a time that they thought another one was going to be better for Nick to show, by the time the sale rolled around this heifer was better, so they bought her back and put her in Nick's string.  They didnt buy this heifer back to buy thier genetics back, hell they dominate everyone with their genetics, they bought this heifer back for Nick to dominate in the Showring with which is exactly what he did.
There was no fals advertising, there was nothing illegal or immoral done here.  And yet I am still trying to figure out how in the heck it concerns anyone of you that is starting all this drama about it????

vc

If they are not complaining about your stock your stock is probably not that great, if they are not claiming that you are cheating you are probably not winning. That is how it seems to go, instead of breeding or buying and feeding something better than the other guy, it is easier to make the other guy look like they are doing something wrong, cheating or ripping someone off. Anything to bring negative attention to someone else, seems to be their MO
You see it from the small county scene all the way to the top; there are winners and whiners everywhere.  In my opinion if you are not a whiner then you are a winner no matter where you place.

chambero

I know next to nothing about Shorthorn cattle.  I'm much more familiar with Angus, and I do get very tired of the ridiculous money trading that goes on in some of the big name Angus sales - "I'll buy your $500,000 bull/cow and you buy mine 60 days from now".  But here's the deal on those:

1.  Usually, its done by people that have made a whole lot of money doing something else that want to be a big name Angus breeder really, really, really bad.  We had one that lived very close to us.  When the housing business bottomed up a few years ago, he leased his operation to what was reportedly the biggest Angus ranch out there (from the southeastern U.S. by the way).  None of them paid their bills to local businesses.
2.  The Sullivan family doesn't fit that mold.  They aren't "wannabes" that made their money in real estate, construction, land development, etc.  I've personally dealt with the branch down here in Texas and they are great people for about 20 years.  They are as hard to beat in heifers down here (in multiple breeds) as they are the Shorthorns.  I've never heard a bad remark from anyone that has actually done business with the "northern bunch" either.
3.  As much as it gripes me, overinflated auction prices really doesn't hurt me.  It can make you think you aren't doing that well selling your own cattle, but you really shouldn't be worried about what everyone else is doing anyway.
4.  I don't know how anyone could think they ever knew who really raised what anymore with the embryos being bought and sold, multiple partners on cattle (somebody has to register them in their name), cloning, etc.

kfacres

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
outspoken said:
so who is this Tice?  He must be one hell of an evaluater, feeder, or sweet talker.

And what does "works for him" mean?  Is he on payroll, or just chore boy at the shows?

I'm guessing there are quite a few "chore boys" that know a good bit more about shorthorn cattle than you do.

like how to use a scotch comb- and about how to feed one to win a show?  Or how about how you can stack trump on trump on trump-- and make a rocket fronted, big framed one-- that you can poor the expensive show feed to-- to make fat as hell-- then you can breed her to another trump deal first time around- and get experience with the calf jacks..  i always heard a good fronted, big boned, sound one is all you need-- you can feed on fat and body, and correct faults with that.

Sorry, not my cup of tea-- I'll let those who do that best--- continue doing it... I'm out.! 

shortyjock89

Idk. I'm one of those chore boys, and id put my outcross cattle up against yours any day of the weeks.

Doc

WAR said:
Who really cares?

Nobody really. It's just that outspoken and a couple of others are jealous of anyone whom has succeeded with cattle especially anyone from Canada, uses Trump bred cattle or with SULL in the name.

kfacres

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Idk. I'm one of those chore boys, and id put my outcross cattle up against yours any day of the weeks.

Pretty sure your Sonny deals aren't outcross-- and your Red Diamond deal can't be anymore with his brother's popularity...  Don't think your Perfect Timing deals would be outcross either...

I'll pair up Red Diamond with Redline- any day of the week.

I'll take that challenge when this group of heifers of mine have their first calves...  The pieces are coming together around here- and it's expansion mode.

aj

Stockshow university.......wow.......I'm not sure I even want to know what that is. I assume it is a marketing ploy of some kind? Who was the family that sull used to do th epd scam with?

shortyjock89

I forgot. I only have one cow, and have only ever used two bulls.

I hope you do take that challenge, it'll be interesting to see if you can get going in any sort of direction.

aj

Well what happened on the epd BWT scandal? Is it true or false. I heard one guy tell me that the only reason the one brother didn't get thrown out of the association was because it was actually someone else that actually did the fraud on the bwt's. Is i true or false?

Doc

aj said:
Well what happened on the epd BWT scandal? Is it true or false. I heard one guy tell me that the only reason the one brother didn't get thrown out of the association was because it was actually someone else that actually did the fraud on the bwt's. Is i true or false?

I'd say call the Assoc. or a member of the board & ask them. Otherwise it's going to be hearsay.

kfacres

trevorgreycattleco said:
They won't say anything about it would they? Are they allowed to?

knowing the history.. they'll probably act like they have no idea what you are talking about-- and say you made it up.

aj said:
Stockshow university.......wow.......I'm not sure I even want to know what that is. I assume it is a marketing ploy of some kind? Who was the family that sull used to do th epd scam with?

to the best of my knowledge, it was a 'fitting and showmanship clinic organization' 'to give back'....  But mainly a clothing line..;

MSTF

I hope you do take that challenge, it'll be interesting to see if you can get going in any sort of direction.
[/quote]

There is no where to go but up when you're at the bottom!

shortdawg

Really folks ............???????????? The Sullivans are great to deal with. If I had a question or needed to know anything about the cattle I've bought from John or whatever I can just call or text him and he will help any way he can, always has. One of the most down to earth people that I have ever met in the business. The Stock Show University Clinics are put on all over the US to help kids, adults, or whoever wants to come learn all they could possibly want to know about fitting. grooming, and most anything else one may need help with. IT IS A GOOD THING ! These "chore boys/girls" that you mention are some fine people that will help you any way they can at most any show the are at all at the Sullivans expense ...... one of the pluses of buying from them. The 0904 female that has been mentioned is one fine beast and whoever bought her, sold her, or whatever is beside the point.......she came from Sullivan genetics. Just my opinion ......