Wow, Taylor Swift n/c

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

irh said:
 She won her award from all the little kiddies out there.  They need to start a new catogery for these new country singers, called yelling and screaming cause that is what little girls do.   Terrible excuse for a country singer.   But to win entertainer over George Strait, come on now.Just glad I can pop in a good George cd.

why should an adult vote for george strait count more than a yelling and screaming kid?

i mean on sheer value, the screaming and yelling kid is getting a better value if you measure value on emotion.

perhaps adults are just more reserved in their adulation.

kobo_ranch

Most of the responses on here represent my thoughts as well...

She is cute, and has been all over the TV, has one heck of a agent I guess, and sure she's made more money probably than the rest of them.  But I agree, shouldn't be entertainer of the year if you can't sing!  My favorite act last night was Lady Antebellum (not sure if I spelled that right) but those two can sing...although I call that more pop than country.  (70's kid)  But man I loved that song!  Reba's was good too and she looked great!  She's such a show off!  Brad Paisley is a cutie but again not wild about him...and what's happened to Alan Jackson!!  George's song he sang was well...pretty weak....didn't buy his Troubadour album even though I heard the title song was about the only good one on there (maybe one more).  Yea times are changing when a young little chick that can't sing wins Entertainer of the Year....but this past year has been just that! (lol)
Gotta laugh instead of  :'(

shortdawg

To write, play, and sing your own music is a tough thing to do-it takes major talent. I like Taylor Swift and think she deserves all she won.

LazyGLowlines

shortdawg said:
To write, play, and sing your own music is a tough thing to do-it takes major talent. I like Taylor Swift and think she deserves all she won.
ditto (and I'm not even close to being a tween!)

WFCC

there is no doubt she is very talented and the fact she is only 19 is crazy. but she should try the pop genre.

dori36

SouthWest said:
I am glad Taylor won what she did.  Country music needs to open its door to some new blood.  She shows how boot, hat, sparkling outfits, or twang in voice is needed to sell records.  What you see is what you get.  I appreciate how she injected Americas teens into country music.  Teens know that country is not just dad and grandads music anymore.  Loved Zach Browns performance on The Devil went down to Georgia.  He also reached out to a new crowd.  Trying to bring more into country.  The band stage performance was great getting the crowd into it.  No hat or boots needed there.  They looked like a grunge band in fact.  There is room for the hats and the Rebas.  They are great.  But we need to widen our horizons to keep this music going. 

I respect your view but I wonder how much "new" can be injected into country music before it's no longer "country", but rather just rock and roll?

dori36

sue said:
So glad this is on steerplanet! I am not a fan of T. Swift's  voice but think it's neat she writes her own stuff.  I like traditional country and cannot believe Leann Wommack didnt sing last night??   I voted for George!

Taylor should have won tallest female country singer with pure youthful image and song writer

Yeah, but she'd have to share the "tallest" award with Lady Antebellum!!

Ohioteerchick

zach said:
beyonce shouldv'e won.

haha, it would have been better then her

and when i was driving yesterday literally every station, from country to that annoying rap, played either "You Belong With Me" or something else from her.

chambero

I'm no music expert by any stretch and don't think they make them any better than George Strait.

Most of my concert going has been limited to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, but I've seen a bunch of the big names there.

I know Reba McIntire is great, but I've seen her twice in person and thought she was terrible both times live.  I can of lump Ms. Swift into the category of some music they do now just doesn't translate live.

The best two performances I've ever seen live were George (surprise surprise) and Brad Paisley.  I saw him last year and he is really, really good live.  And that dude can flat out play a guitar.

kanshow

Years ago, we went to a George Strait concert and Loretta Lynn opened for him.  I like Loretta but could not imagine her putting on a very good concert.  That was one of the best shows I'd seen.  She was great.  They sure don't make 'em like Loretta anymore.

On another note, I enjoyed Martina & George's tribute to Barbara Mandrell..    There are three of the all time greats! 

forcheyhawk

I'm not a huge Taylor Swift fan or anything but I certainly see how she could win entertainer of the year just seeing how the crowd responded when she sang her last song.  There's a lot more to being an entertainer than just singing.  It's certainly measurable by consumer demand and response.  Her singing wasn't very good the other night, but what sold me on her being a good entertainer is watching a few 20 something young men singing along.  I also laughed at the scene but that's another story. <beer>

sue

I remember the Barbara Mandrell show - I cannot remember her sister's name? Trivia

GoWyo

Wasn't there the little sis who played the drums occasionally named Earlene?  They never let her sing though.

TMJ Show Cattle

Taylor Swift? Never thought i would live to see country music go so far downhill. Respect her talents? Hell yes!! To each our own. But before we critisize too much.....Rascal Flats sure as hell ain't country either, even if one of the fella's is from Okla. Zach Brown and Jason Aldean,two south Georgia boys along with several other of the more "traditional" type newcomers will save the day.

OhShOwEr

HUGE George Strait fan, to me she is good, but not in the catagory of any of her opponets for entertainer of the year or female vocolist.  On a good note, if you are going to talk about songwriting, you will have to mention Jamey Johnson... he looks like a rough critter, but he sure can write and SING.  I loved that In color was song of the year, a song about real history and life.  That man has paid his dues and very glad that he won...

shortdawg

Zach Brown and Jason Aldean,two south Georgia boys along with several other of the more "traditional" type newcomers will save the day.
[/quote]

Don't forget Luke Bryan, Billy Currington, Bucky Covington, Jennifer Nettles, Alan Jackson ......... etal

sue

Nasc said:
sue said:
I remember the Barbara Mandrell show - I cannot remember her sister's name? Trivia

Louise ?

Non-googled
[/quo
Yep. It came to me after I posted! So you must be 39 forever tooo?  I recall popcorn and "pj's" right before bedtime- Barbara Mandrell show.