2010 display bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

kane1598

My friend and I were home roughing my heifer out for next week show and said the same thing! Wouldnt it be amazing if there were clubby bull shows?? I mean they do wether sire shows and stuff, why not clubby bulls?? It would be awesome, well at least until the banamine and all that wore off ;D

Jill

That is a good question, it is supposed to be display weekend and you're lucky if you see some of the bulls for a hour the whole weekend, makes you kind of wonder.

Jill

Just from the pictures, I actually like the 1 and only bull a little better, pretty cool!

timmy_89

Hey my brother was wondering if we could get some more information about the Smokin Bob bull that is out on display along with Thriller. If you have some information that would be great if you could send it my way.

Thanks
Tim Klaffke

CAB

Smilin Bob is a HW X Captain Morgan's dam.

The reason that they don't show them against each other is b/c who would buy semen out of the lower placed cattle. They have too much invested in the promotion to let one person's opinion bash the bulls. This way we all get a chance @ it.

They don't keep them out very long b/c the bulls can't stand all day and keep looking @ their best. Think about standing that long on an incline. Their muscles get tried and sore and they need to rest. It's a long day for them. Think about how much time that they have put in b4 they ever get to the display pens. It's just a lot of stress.

worthabit

CAB said:

The reason that they don't show them against each other is b/c who would buy semen out of the lower placed cattle. They have too much invested in the promotion to let one person's opinion bash the bulls. This way we all get a chance @ it.

They don't keep them out very long b/c the bulls can't stand all day and keep looking @ their best. Think about standing that long on an incline. Their muscles get tried and sore and they need to rest. It's a long day for them. Think about how much time that they have put in b4 they ever get to the display pens. It's just a lot of stress.
CAB, this is what I thought, but anybody who shows purebreds have their cattle bashed by judges and have them standing all day. I guess I don't see the difference.

breeder

CAB said:

Very good point!!  Have all that stress... then hurry them to the bull stud to get em collected before breeding season as yearling bulls!  It is a busy timeline that people dont account for.  You dont suppose thats why some... like wade.... have just went with getting a good picture and forgetting about denver????

tadpole

If you guys want to see the bulls, I just checked cattle.com and they are starting to put up the first of the videos.  Check em out!

Show Heifer

Stress of STANDING AROUND on wood chips vs. WALKING around all day on hills, gulleys, rocks, creek banks.  Just a thought: Maybe they are not sound enough to stand more than a few hours? 
And I have often thought that collecting bulls so young is part of the "fertility  problems' a lot of clubbie bulls have both in the short term and long term.

BCCC

Redemtion and cowboy casanova(sp?) had LOTS of hair, but were real small. I never seen smiling bob unfortunately. I really like thriller seemed like he would actually grow and not be a pud. I have pictures of thriller, cowboy, redemption, nasty habit, and cold snap. I thought eye of the storm was too small along with numerous others. I never seen the black monoply son(blind side?) on display. Seems that the clubbys were a little weak. The clones were difficult to analyze seeing as they were laying down most the time(not surprised). Did any one look at off road? He's a son of major Leroy(Canadian shorthorn)

Steer4Caddy

Chap said:
Although he wasn't a display bull I am surprised we haven't heard any discussion on the bull One and Only from Rodgers.  HW x 109 donor.  i have seen several full sibs to him and that cow flat produces.  He had flyers all over the yards and took a wicked cool picture.  if somebody grabbed one, please scan it in.  he is one i would try on pedigree and picture, but would like to hear if anyone has seen him.  I believe he is a fall bull.  owned by Wade Rodgers, JR Spear and Chris Rosa.
I went through all the bulls that were on display (not all) and ended up ordering some of two that weren't even there.  I did like the way the One and Only bull looked in the pic and was bred (and clean) so ordered some of him.  I also liked the Titanium Steel Bull and video and took advantage of the buy one get one deal on a handfull of straws.  I liked the Thriller bull the most.  Had more size than some.  Walks on water was a freak.  Small, stout and cool necked.  Some were just too freaky.  Pretty sure they would split my cows in half.  Texas Twister looked to be an awsome slick shear sire for Texas but you may need a full time vet on hand for the c-sections.  Not being critical but....

Throttle

Seems to be a lot of Shorty breeders/fans on the Planet. Anyone see a Shorthorn bull on display called Metro? Thoughts?

Dusty

I would have to say my favorites would have been:

Smiling Bob...super stout and tied together real nice...looked growthy

Thriller...real good animal... I guess my only question with him would be what to breed him too??? Everyone feel free to throw some guesses out there..